Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
My first (and one of two) orange was a blunderbuss.

The blunderbuss definitely needs a buff. I think making it armor piercing and kill stormvermin in one bodyshot even on higher difficulties could go a long way to making it more useful. Or the more amusing option would be to up its knockback so that it knocks stormvermin clean on their rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Differences between characters: they have access to different weapons with different properties, that's it.

Weapons: there are only two things you need to know:
1) you only need to charge ~1s for an attack to be fully charged, you don't need to wait until your character lets go.
2) charge attacks are not upgrades over normal attacks, they're sidegrades. Pay close attention to the difference between normal and charged attacks on the weapon stats (e.g. 1h+shield normal attacks aren't armour-piercing but do significantly more damage than the charge attacks, which are armour piercing; most 2h weapons are designed for you to spam charge attacks to take advantage of hitting multiple enemies; etc.).

Bright Wizard meter: it's heat. You accumulate heat by shooting your normal attack, charging a charged attack (hold RMB), or firing a charged attack (press LMB while holding RMB). If the heat meter fills up completely, you blow up and die. You can press R at any time to forcefully cool down, but if your heat is already past the two pips that are about 30% of the way up the meter, you will take damage.

Beam staff doesn't seem to charge, Blast (bolt?) staff has a charge animation that takes about an hour, does firing mid-charge do anything? Conflag grows as you charge it, so I assumed extra charging did extra good for the other stuff. Is heat binary or linear? As in does your heat do more damage the more you are over the line, or is it just "over the line = fixed damage", why do I have a heat meter in the middle of my screen and one on my weapon? What are everybody's different weapons and what do they do? Why do "Cursed loot dice" give you extra dice - Isn't that the opposite of a curse?

I guess what I'm asking for is a manual.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Chomp8645 posted:

Holy poo poo Wheat and Chaff is where you git good or go home.

There's gotta be something wrong with the special spawns on Wheat and Chaff at hard and above, because it just never lets up.

Had a rat ogre spawn at mission start and slap our elf around before we could move first playthrough. Was hilarious but also kind of unfair I feel.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

After a five map winning streak the pubbies still want to kick me. :(

Maybe they see my soldier's arming sword and get mad that I don't have a shield. It's probably because I'm not getting a whole lot of kills as displayed by the end stats, though if I'm in a party with a mage and an elf I think that's natural. I'm fairly certain it's always an elf that starts the kick vote, too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Wheat and Chaff was what the devs of the game loaded up during the last live stream, smugly saying ITS ALL ABOUT TEAMWORK

They ended by getting their guts pasted on the fields and muttering about how they should probably tone it down.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

If this is actually the reason behind the name/difficulty I'll laugh so hard.

I assumed this was actually the case :v: If you haven't learned the mechanics of combat when you go to wheat and chaff you're gonna get destroyed. There is no camping a doorway in that one

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

moths posted:

Beam staff doesn't seem to charge, Blast (bolt?) staff has a charge animation that takes about an hour, does firing mid-charge do anything? Conflag grows as you charge it, so I assumed extra charging did extra good for the other stuff. Is heat binary or linear? As in does your heat do more damage the more you are over the line, or is it just "over the line = fixed damage", why do I have a heat meter in the middle of my screen and one on my weapon? What are everybody's different weapons and what do they do? Why do "Cursed loot dice" give you extra dice - Isn't that the opposite of a curse?

I guess what I'm asking for is a manual.

The beam staff kind of has a charge attack. LMB is the shotgun. RMB is the laser. LMB during RMB makes the laser explode on the target. It'll knock the torso off regular rats, and it takes around two or three charges to kill a special rat on hard difficulty.

I haven't used any other staff since I got the beam, but I think the bolt staff needs to run its whole charge animation to do the full damage. I wouldn't put it past the conflag to only be a larger area of effect. No idea if heat damage is fixed. Cursed dice supposedly raises the odds of specials spawning as well as giving you better chance of loot at the end.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
How robust is this? I'm basically wondering about replayability, and whether it will be a game with legs.

I know that there is a random loot system, but is it deep with a ton of items like a Diablo? Or will you pretty much have every character kitted out in what you want in 10-20 hours?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, the axe for the witch hunter sure feels like hot garbage. Too bad I accidentally forged away any alternatives, so now I'm stuck with that+crossbow until I happen upon something better :saddowns:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

How robust is this? I'm basically wondering about replayability, and whether it will be a game with legs.

I know that there is a random loot system, but is it deep with a ton of items like a Diablo? Or will you pretty much have every character kitted out in what you want in 10-20 hours?

It seems like between the levels and the variety of roles/weapons that unlock. you can get some fair depth out of it. Obviously playstyle will influence this though. I'd say it's easily worth the 30 bucks even if they never add anything, which I'm sure they will.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

SlyFrog posted:

Each character has ~5 distinct items per slot and the base stats on them are always the same (but scale with rarity, i.e. a blue item is flat-out better baseline than a green item). They each have 1-3 properties which are semirandom (each weapon/character has a pool it can choose from) but they're mostly special buffs like "5% chance to heal when you hit with this"'; there are very few "this item just has 10% more damage"-type enchants.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The item system is closer to Payday than Diablo.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

SlyFrog posted:

I'm 22 hours in, have one orange item (which is poo poo), three or four usable blue items, and some misc. greens and whites. Most of my classes have nothing good, I can just about manage Hard difficulty, and I've still yet to even play 4 of the levels. Game's got legs, especially if they continue to add content as promised.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Perestroika posted:

Goddamn, the axe for the witch hunter sure feels like hot garbage. Too bad I accidentally forged away any alternatives, so now I'm stuck with that+crossbow until I happen upon something better :saddowns:

It's armor piercing. :fap:

Also has a tendency to make skaven's heads pop off like champagne corks on power attacks.

vvv Bolt staffs are good if you get an enchant that procs on hit because it fires so dang fast.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 25, 2015

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

My orange is a bolt staff, which seems really nice for the armor piercing, but is actually hot garbage because it takes three hits to kill something rather than one.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SlyFrog posted:

One of the first free DLCs will deal specifically with 'endgame' items. Until then there's a whole bunch of weapons for each character and a whole bunch of modifiers for each of them. Getting the right items with the right runes will take a while.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

President Ark posted:

Also has a tendency to make skaven's heads pop off like champagne corks on power attacks.

It makes them pop off on normal hits that headshot, too. Saltzpyre collects rat heads.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The funniest wheat and chaff strategy that my team implemented to win was to have someone draw as much aggro as they could at once, then die. Everyone else runs away with the wheat sacks as our sacrificial lamb is pasted against the ground by three storm vermin and a rat ogre (who get mowed down by a ratling gun.)

Then you revive them wherever they pop up and sacrifice another person to the swarm.

Also, the bolt staff rocks. The bolts penetrate multiple targets, and can one hit storm vermin.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Axe serves me well on hard so far. OHK's the almost-naked rats and 2HK's all the other ones, plus you don't need to charge attack to damage the Storm Vermin because it pierces armor.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Dezztroy posted:

My first (and one of two) orange was a blunderbuss.

The blunderbuss definitely needs a buff. I think making it armor piercing and kill stormvermin in one bodyshot even on higher difficulties could go a long way to making it more useful. Or the more amusing option would be to up its knockback so that it knocks stormvermin clean on their rear end.

Could you post the traits for that?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The witch hunter's repeater pistol is pretty much hot garbage. I have an orange one with 50% more rounds per clip, a chance at knockback, and 50% reload. I have only unlocked the extra rounds per clip because it cost 1 blue whatever and figured I'd give it another shot after a green pistol failed to impress. Even on normal it needs two shots to kill a clanrat though it'll one-shot slaves. That said, its special attack, unloading the clip all at once, has surprisingly decent range and with 12 rounds will straight-up delete a special or stormvermin. I'm just not sure that's worth it over the dual pistols or crossbow. I even ran it with a two-handed sword that has a 20% to give you ammo on a kill. I thought that'd be a small percentage, but nah it's just 20% at a single bullet. It doesn't even come close to mitigating the ammo consumption of the repeater pistol.

Now, the soldier's repeater handgun? :allears: That's my only other orange and I love that thing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chomp8645 posted:

Holy poo poo Wheat and Chaff is where you git good or go home.

Last time I played it we got wiped at the last possible moment. The Bright Wizard and Dwarf got downed in the wagon while me and the Witch Hunter got hooked/pounced.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Syrek posted:

None of you guys will ever MLG360noscopebitches until you start quickswitching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIuGrv97A18

Oh man, this is the level of "skill" that's just completely uninspiring to me. I don't want to learn some meta-exploit bullshit to play the game, I want to be immersed. Sometimes I load up an easy match just to savor the feeling of wading through a hundred rats.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

Do on-hit effects get multiple proc chances from a single sword swing that hits multiple targets? It seems like they would, but I can imagine it secretly being otherwise.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

why is the gun powder level so loving hard

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
important question: is this game good, or is it bad

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

why is the gun powder level so loving hard

People are farming it on nightmare, doing it in 4 minutes or less.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Samog posted:

important question: is this game good, or is it bad

It is super good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh my loving god I hate everyone that plays this game

trying to do the bridge on normal and everyone splits up and goes in random directions for barrels and everyone gets picked off by specials

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I feel like there's another forum somewhere housing all the bad pubbies. Every post is something like:

"I had this group, and it was perfect up until they stopped following me/reading my mind. Then I got hooked, and, of course, no one was there to back me up. loving scrubs. My mentor, Sun Tzu, would be ashamed of this generation." Upvotes for days.

It's Reddit. I'm talking about Reddit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I wandered into a hard game as level 2 but got a pistol and three levels after we beat it. Sword and Board dwarf with the pistol is the best and funnest class to just murder everything.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Didn't even know that 'l' brings up a lobby browser. Always on player outlines are a nice option as well.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The lobby browser is new and WiP as they're trying to figure out why the matchmaking sometimes takes too long, per the patch notes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Demiurge4 posted:

People are farming it on nightmare, doing it in 4 minutes or less.

"Farming" is a really generous term considering the success rate is so low.

It is still a faster way to earn loot than anything else really, since it is such a short cycle, but you really have to show up understanding that you are gonna get your rear end kicked a lot.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dvsilverwing posted:

Axe serves me well on hard so far. OHK's the almost-naked rats and 2HK's all the other ones, plus you don't need to charge attack to damage the Storm Vermin because it pierces armor.

President Ark posted:

The main issue I have with it is that armor piercing is not exactly hard to come by. Pretty much every other weapon that the witch hunter has access to has it also at least on a power attack, but the hatchet gives up all multihit capability to get it. Being able to only ever hit one single rat per attack makes it a pain to deal with any group greater than five or so rats. Besides, stormvermin (which are the one enemy you really want armor piercing for) are best dealt with from a distance anyway.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Perestroika posted:

The main issue I have with it is that armor piercing is not exactly hard to come by. Pretty much every other weapon that the witch hunter has access to has it also at least on a power attack, but the hatchet gives up all multihit capability to get it. Being able to only ever hit one single rat per attack makes it a pain to deal with any group greater than five or so rats. Besides, stormvermin (which are the one enemy you really want armor piercing for) are best dealt with from a distance anyway.

The witch hunter can stunlock stormvermin with the axe though. It charges up faster than they come out of the stun animation. I still don't like it, but it has something going for it.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I was totally excited to get the grudge-raker. Then I saw it didn't have armor piercing and I went back to my kick-rear end 360noscope dwarf pistol.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Arrrthritis posted:

I was totally excited to get the grudge-raker. Then I saw it didn't have armor piercing and I went back to my kick-rear end 360noscope dwarf pistol.

Tell me this is a dwarven laser rifle like the moon raker in Goldeneye.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Tell me this is a dwarven laser rifle like the moon raker in Goldeneye.

It's an over-under shotty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok the Wizard heat system is completely unintuitive and isn't explained anywhere:

If you vent before you reach the dot on the bar, you cool down. If you vent after heating past the dot, venting deals damage and you cool down.

But otherwise the heat won't hurt you. Cooling down naturally doesn't hurt you. And if your heat maxes out, you... explode? (I haven't tried that yet.) The game just tells you to PRESS R TO VENT! which makes you die.

So if you cross the line, throw spells until you're about to die, then be melee until your staff cools down?

• Locked thread