Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Hey all,

I have an interview with a recruiter from a staffing agency tomorrow. The recruiter is actually a longtime family friend, so I feel pretty confident in saying she won't screw me over. That being said, does anyone have experience with recruiters? My plan was to treat it like a normal interview, and dress and prepare as such. I was also planning on giving her some idea of the fields and positions I'd be most interested in, along with what I absolutely will not do (retail and call centers). I graduated from college about five years ago and I've been stuck in retail for about ten goddamn years, so I'm really hoping this will finally be my chance to move towards something else. :unsmith: Any thoughts or suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Recruiters are hit and miss. I worked with a bunch who flaked on me until I finally found one (at Robert Half) who had been doing it for a really long time and she got me an amazing gig at a Fortune 50 company. Since you know her, I'd assume she isn't going to just lose contact with you. It really depends on their connections. But I think recruiters are a very good tool if you find one who will stick with you and stay in contact.

Yes, dress and prepare like it's a normal interview. They usually ask about your experience and top things you're looking for in a job, so be ready for that (sounds like you're prepared to tell her what you're looking for). Also come in with salary expectations. They should know what the positions are paying, and will help negotiate your salary for you, so I think it is okay to give them a number. They get paid off of your offered salary, so higher is better for them. :) Good luck!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I made it to the post-interview stage and felt great about the interview. It's a perfect position for me and my skill set. They asked me to bug one of my references to get their form filled out, too. After a couple weeks I asked the hiring manager and they said they're waiting on a few things and I should hear from hr soon. Am I boned? :ohdear:

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Susical posted:

Recruiters are hit and miss. I worked with a bunch who flaked on me until I finally found one (at Robert Half) who had been doing it for a really long time and she got me an amazing gig at a Fortune 50 company. Since you know her, I'd assume she isn't going to just lose contact with you. It really depends on their connections. But I think recruiters are a very good tool if you find one who will stick with you and stay in contact.

Yes, dress and prepare like it's a normal interview. They usually ask about your experience and top things you're looking for in a job, so be ready for that (sounds like you're prepared to tell her what you're looking for). Also come in with salary expectations. They should know what the positions are paying, and will help negotiate your salary for you, so I think it is okay to give them a number. They get paid off of your offered salary, so higher is better for them. :) Good luck!

Thanks for this, it was helpful! :) I think it went fairly well. I was given a position out of the gate to look at, which is good! However, some quick googling seems to indicate that the company is a major shitshow. Would it be weird for me to ask her like, "Hey Glassdoor says this place is awful, any idea what's up with that?" Or should I just politely turn that one down without bringing up reviews? I'm just worried I'm going to be a pain in the rear end, turning down every suggestion due to google-induced paranoia. :ohdear:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Panic Restaurant posted:

Thanks for this, it was helpful! :) I think it went fairly well. I was given a position out of the gate to look at, which is good! However, some quick googling seems to indicate that the company is a major shitshow. Would it be weird for me to ask her like, "Hey Glassdoor says this place is awful, any idea what's up with that?" Or should I just politely turn that one down without bringing up reviews? I'm just worried I'm going to be a pain in the rear end, turning down every suggestion due to google-induced paranoia. :ohdear:

I'm not saying completely disregard glassdoor, but it's basically the yelp of the business world. Anyone and everyone who has an ax to grind for any reason goes there and exaggerates it. Fired for being repeatedly late? Bitch about "Management's archaic attendance policies". And a million other examples that I haven't ingested enough coffee to cite. We had a small client let go of a developer and he went on there and posted 5 different reviews within 2 months as 5 different people. And they are small so they had not let anyone else go. Really, just think about it. If you turn in your 2 weeks and everything goes smoothly, are you going to go take the time to say how great they were on glassdoor? Well, neither is anyone else.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Dark Helmut posted:

I'm not saying completely disregard glassdoor, but it's basically the yelp of the business world. Anyone and everyone who has an ax to grind for any reason goes there and exaggerates it. Fired for being repeatedly late? Bitch about "Management's archaic attendance policies". And a million other examples that I haven't ingested enough coffee to cite. We had a small client let go of a developer and he went on there and posted 5 different reviews within 2 months as 5 different people. And they are small so they had not let anyone else go. Really, just think about it. If you turn in your 2 weeks and everything goes smoothly, are you going to go take the time to say how great they were on glassdoor? Well, neither is anyone else.

Yeah, I'm trying pretty hard to take it with a grain of salt, but there are just SO MANY bad reviews for this particular company, and some further research seems to say that the company was investigated for some sort of shady business and that the CEO might be a literal crazy person, so my gut is really just telling me no on this one. Hell, my current lovely retail job has significantly better reviews as a company. Part of me is considering just not bothering to do research on any other companies she sends me way, but that also sounds really dumb. But at the same time I don't want to give her a hard time by turning everything down.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Yeah, I'm trying pretty hard to take it with a grain of salt, but there are just SO MANY bad reviews for this particular company, and some further research seems to say that the company was investigated for some sort of shady business and that the CEO might be a literal crazy person, so my gut is really just telling me no on this one. Hell, my current lovely retail job has significantly better reviews as a company. Part of me is considering just not bothering to do research on any other companies she sends me way, but that also sounds really dumb. But at the same time I don't want to give her a hard time by turning everything down.

That sounds terrible. If the company is actively being investigated for something, then you shouldn't work there. Do you really want to have on your resume that you worked for a company that was found to have engaged in something illegal? How do you think that looks down the line? Also if the CEO is crazy, then I can pretty much guarantee the entire place will be a poo poo show and you will loathe working there because trying to cater to the needs of an insane person is not a fun job.

And you should absolutely do research on the other companies. Why wouldn't you? Take the reviews with a grain of salt, but seriously there's absolutely no reason not to. This woman is a recruiter. She might also be a family friend or whatever, but she is paid by these companies to find people to fill positions and not to find you a position that you'd like. She is not doing you a favor and her goal is not for you to be happy, it's to put you in a job, any job, so that she can get paid.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Of course you should research companies and make educated decisions. Just be careful with glassdoor and other places where people go to vent. Changing jobs is a big deal and you should know what you're getting into.

And a good recruiter won't just put you in "any" job. Some of us like to wake up and look at ourselves in the mirror.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Looking for new graduate positions and there are an awful lot of entry-level job positions that list the names of target universities and specify that only students from those universities are allowed to apply. Is there going to be any way around this, or is it just a fact of the job market that if you don't happen to go to one of these schools you're locked out of certain positions? This is in engineering.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

How should I be formatting doing the same job for multiple contract companies?

Right now I have:
Lead Administrator
Company A Group A on behalf of Contract Company C Date-Date
Company A Group A on behalf of Contract Company B Date-Date
Company A Group A on behalf of Contract Company A Date-Date

Because of the company reworking their contractor contracts I've been forced to switch each time, despite keeping the exact same job. I'm sure it doesn't look great, takes an absurd amount of space on the page, and seems redundant. But I don't know how to minimize it while still giving enough info.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Shipon posted:

Looking for new graduate positions and there are an awful lot of entry-level job positions that list the names of target universities and specify that only students from those universities are allowed to apply. Is there going to be any way around this, or is it just a fact of the job market that if you don't happen to go to one of these schools you're locked out of certain positions? This is in engineering.

They can't stop you from applying, worst that'll happen is that they won't hire you.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Right now I have:
Lead Administrator

Because of the company reworking their contractor contracts I've been forced to switch each time, despite keeping the exact same job. I'm sure it doesn't look great, takes an absurd amount of space on the page, and seems redundant. But I don't know how to minimize it while still giving enough info.

Lead Administrator
Company A (contractor) Date-Date

Done.

I don't care who you contracted through and as an IT recruiter if I submit you anywhere I'm going to remove references to my competition anyway...

Seriously though, the employer can ask if they want to know who. It's too cumbersome to list 3 times.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Shipon posted:

Any time you don't meet a specified job requirement and want to apply anyway, you absolutely should acknowledge that fact in your cover letter with a counterpoint on why they should still consider you.

"I realize that I do not meet the requirement of having attended one of your universities of choice, but I'm confident my *something impressive* demonstrates my ability to excel in this position."

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Right now I have:
Lead Administrator

Dark Helmut is right. If these really are prestigious, big names that you were contracted at then I would list it in a bullet point but it should still be describing what you accomplished more than where it was.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Shipon posted:

There is probably a different job description that is for people not from the targeted schools. It may or may not just be an ignore hotline, but you should try to find and apply to it. I can pretty much guarantee if you apply to the targeted school req and are not from a targeted school, you will not get a callback.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Bisty Q. posted:

There is probably a different job description that is for people not from the targeted schools. It may or may not just be an ignore hotline, but you should try to find and apply to it. I can pretty much guarantee if you apply to the targeted school req and are not from a targeted school, you will not get a callback.

At a lot of companies it's just indicative of where they target their recruitment efforts, so no reason not to apply to the general posting. I can only think of a handful of consulting firms and financial firms that truly limit their target schools. I'm not that familiar with engineering though.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I am interested in a position that I meet all the requirements for but don't have the number of years desired. That said, the position is basically just my current position except a little more advanced, and I am proficient in everything it requires.

1 person who went to grad school with me is working there, we are acquaintances but not like serious friends nor have worked together on any project. (Holds one step higher than entry level position).
1 person who went to grad school with me was working there, we are good friends. (Held an entry level position).

What's the proper ettiquette for communicating with them about the eventual goal of "help JIZZ DENOUEMENT get hired at this firm."?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I am interested in a position that I meet all the requirements for but don't have the number of years desired. That said, the position is basically just my current position except a little more advanced, and I am proficient in everything it requires.

1 person who went to grad school with me is working there, we are acquaintances but not like serious friends nor have worked together on any project. (Holds one step higher than entry level position).
1 person who went to grad school with me was working there, we are good friends. (Held an entry level position).

What's the proper ettiquette for communicating with them about the eventual goal of "help JIZZ DENOUEMENT get hired at this firm."?

"Hey man, how have you been? I see you're working at XXX, I'm pretty interested in that industry/company/job type, want to grab lunch sometime so I can ask you a few questions about your job?"

If you just hang out with someone and get along well (and they know you're competent), that's most likely enough to get them to push at least a little for you at their work

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014

Shipon posted:

As I got recently fired by one of those, with my own experience, they usually don't, unless like you said, you're not a fresh graduate. But then I'm in continental Europe and we are extremely picky over grad school as our economy is not too good, thus making companies take extreme precautions.
I wouldn't try because they may even blacklist you. I am not sure what are their politics; I got blacklisted after I failed an interview 4 years ago. They may automatically blacklist whoever got rejected before the interview.
The reason why you should worry about blacklisting is that you may want to try out your luck in few years (I had a blacklist that lasted for 2 or 3 years) , if you manage to get something nice for a few years elsewhere (and with the help of some recommendation too).
Do some research. If they are famous for blacklisting rejected applications, wait a few years but seriously don't make it your main objective.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My wife is in a delicate situation. She's been saddled with the boss from hell and wants out. There's a position in another department that she's wanted for a while now that just opened up and she'd really like to apply, but she's really worried that her boss will retaliate against her when/if word filters back she's applying elsewhere. Asking for the boss's blessing seems likely to backfire, applying behind her boss's back is going to fall apart when/if the interviewer asks to contact her current boss (she has other strong references inside and outside the company, but they're still probably going to want to check up on her current boss), and badmouthing her boss to the interviewer to explain why she doesn't trust them enough to use them as a reference is probably going to torpedo her chances of getting the new job and invite retaliation. How should she navigate this situation?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Knight Corgi posted:

The reason why you should worry about blacklisting is that you may want to try out your luck in few years (I had a blacklist that lasted for 2 or 3 years) , if you manage to get something nice for a few years elsewhere (and with the help of some recommendation too).
Do some research. If they are famous for blacklisting rejected applications, wait a few years but seriously don't make it your main objective.

(Large) Employers in the US don't generally blacklist people and certainly would not for "they applied to the wrong req".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The only time I've heard of someone getting blacklisted in Canada is because they basically harassed a company's HR department for four week straight. And I don't mean following up on an interview too often, I mean sending resumes and multiple emails every single day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is later the same day too soon to send a thank you for the interview email? Should I wait until Monday if I just interviewed earlier today?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is later the same day too soon to send a thank you for the interview email? Should I wait until Monday if I just interviewed earlier today?
Don't use the "wait three days to call" rule. There's nothing wrong with sending it on Monday, but there's nothing wrong with sending it today either.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I think 3 days is pretty money, Mikey.

just send it

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Tell me why my resume and cover letter suck.

Google drive kind of screws up the formatting so pretend the second half fits properly on the second page, or just download it and open it in word.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B57W-Dq1KiiXSzNySm1peTVhOFE/view?usp=sharing

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Methanar posted:

Tell me why my resume and cover letter suck.

Google drive kind of screws up the formatting so pretend the second half fits properly on the second page, or just download it and open it in word.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B57W-Dq1KiiXSzNySm1peTVhOFE/view?usp=sharing

Hoo boy.

Let's start with the resume. The very last thing on your resume is the most important thing, which is that you have experience doing this. Why did you put that at the end? In fact, it's chronologically incorrect (experience sections on resumes are in reverse-chronological order, with your current/newest job first.)

Put your experience FIRST. It's the best thing about your candidacy. Your skills & ability section is fluff. Please stop using the words 'utilized/utilizing' and 'entailed/entailing'. "Strong $whatever" is the weakest possible statement you could make. SHOW me where you got the experience with these things. Don't just say "I'm good at O365 and and documentation", explain where you developed these skills. If you really want a keyword section, just put one in at the bottom and say "Selected Skills" or something. Finally, in your experience section, it just reads like a random task list. What was the strategic impact of these things? Why did you do them? How did they help the company? There's tons more to go on with the resume, but let's fix this stuff first.

Your cover letter should just be thrown out. It's generic and does nothing a cover letter should, which is to explain how your candidacy addresses the requirements of the job. You start it by saying that you want a job you're going to enjoy. As a hiring manager, I don't give a rat's rear end about that. What can you do for me? That's what your cover letter should be about. "I'm applying for the position of IT Drone #34. Your job description indicates you need someone with experience migrating servers from Windows 2000 to Windows 2013, which I did at Amalgamated Paper and Dildoes, Inc. I'm eager to work for your company because of $reason."

Also, your website doesn't work. Normally, this wouldn't matter, but I would expect someone in this industry using a vanity domain to at least have a parking page or something.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B57W-Dq1KiiXb3kwUnBndkhSZms

I've fixed up the chronology and moved experience to the top as you suggested.

I added a bit of a preface to give some context to what I did at my system admin job. To me it still feels weak so if you have any more suggestions about it please let me know. It reads like a random task list because that's what it is. Just name dropping everything noteworthy I did during that 4 month project. I'm not sure how to articulate everything I did.

I got rid of the technical skills section because you're right: it was garbage and wasn't going to get fixed.

I do disagree with not putting in some mention of eagerness in the cover letter, even if it's not the main focus. If it's taken as a mark against me then I don't want to work at that particular place anyway. For the website comment, would a redirect to my LinkedIn be acceptable?

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 24, 2015

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I am working on my resume for the first time since I graduated from school and need a little help nailing down the format to get started. I also have a few more specific questions around content.

I'm a copywriter with 5 years of experience at one company. Before that I had 17 months of unemployment, preceded by law school (graduated in '09, thus the 17 months of no job), preceded by college, and who cares about anything before that.

I read the OP. Here's what I'm thinking for format. If anyone has any suggestions for improvement, let me know. Or if anybody can link me to good, much better template examples for what I'm trying to do that I should copy instead, that would be incredible.

Start with this example that I found online: http://www.dayjob.com/downloads/cv_examples/copywriter_cv_template.pdf

Axe the content in the left margin, I feel like it doesn't add enough to the presentation to be worth the space. Contact information will move to the top of the page under my name in small font. Mention only address, phone, email. Nobody cares that I'm a 31-year old american with a driver's license, that's boring

Personal summary is a short, impactful, keyword-laden description of my skills and qualifications, no fuss no muss.

Work experience, I just follow that same format; list the job, the title, the dates, a short description, bullets of my duties and accomplishments (trying to quantify them, like the OP suggests; 50 social media posts a month, boosting engagement by 200% over a 90-day period or whatever and etc).

Skills & Competencies...not quite sure what to do with that. Do I need that section, if I did the section above it correctly? I feel like describing what I've been doing at work for the past 5 years should describe my skills and competencies adequately, so I'm not sure what to put in this section that's not redundant with the work experience & personal summary section. Is this just another excuse to jam keywords in there?

Academics--easy enough, list my schools, degrees, dates, blah blah blah.

"References available upon request" comes out. Obviously.

That's my thought for format, at least. Let me know if I'm off-base with anything there.

I've also got some substantive questions:

1) My background is a little eclectic, so I want to make sure I keep it focused, but without leaving out anything that helps me look qualified for the field I'm applying to (and also keeping in mind that my work experience is just the one job, so if I need to pad it without wasting the hiring manager's time, tell me how). I went to law school, I'm a licensed attorney in good standing, but I don't and never have practiced (my state requires no actual work to keep your license, just a yearly fee, which is why I still have it). Is it worth mentioning my license on the resume, or is it a waste of space? Similarly, in law school, I had four internships, involving legal research and writing (for an appellate court, and three state government agencies), which is at least tangentially relevant to the field I'm currently in (copywriting). How and where do I mention these, if I should do it at all? I'm not going to list and describe them piecemeal, that's a waste of space. Do I mention them briefly as a bullet under education? Make it a separate section?

2) My current job title is Senior Copywriter; however my path at my company went: Data entry temp > Junior copywriter > copywriter > Senior copywriter. I made this progression in ~4 years (starting with no experience in the field whatsoever) which I feel is impressive and worth mentioning, I'm just not 100% sure how to do it. In my personal summary? Break down the job titles by date at the beginning of the work experience section? Save it for the cover letter?

3) Is it worth having a short section talking about hobbies/outside-of-work poo poo to make me sound like a fun and well-rounded individual? I run, I volunteer, I used to do comedy (improv & standup). Does that belong on a resume at this point, or is that poo poo just for recent college grads to put on their resume to look cool until they get actual work experience?

4) I was unemployed for 17 months after law school. Will people care about this now that I've been working solidly for the last 5 years? Do I need to get ahead of this anywhere on my resume or cover letter, or can I just list dates accurately and let the hiring manager draw what conclusions they will?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When do you all feel is the turning point from listing education at the top of your resume to listing professional work experience at the top? My last stint in school was graduating with a Master's in 2013 and I am currently in my second job since graduating, so my Work Experience is my current job, my previous job, and my graduate assistant role during my Master's. I'm updating my resume right now for a leadership development award through the American Chemical Society, which favors academics so I think for this I would leave Education at the top. But in general, when do I start putting Work Experience first?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

C-Euro posted:

When do you all feel is the turning point from listing education at the top of your resume to listing professional work experience at the top? My last stint in school was graduating with a Master's in 2013 and I am currently in my second job since graduating, so my Work Experience is my current job, my previous job, and my graduate assistant role during my Master's. I'm updating my resume right now for a leadership development award through the American Chemical Society, which favors academics so I think for this I would leave Education at the top. But in general, when do I start putting Work Experience first?

I'm not an expert or anything, but generally I put whatever qualifications I'm using to hopefully get the job first.

If I'm a fresh MBA looking for a job that wants fresh MBA's, I would put the MBA education above my prior work history. I've I'm qualifying for the job based on work experience, that's what I would put first.

Rules might be different for highly skilled positions you're probably applying for and Academia

Generally though my rule of thumb is if you have professional experience in the field, the work experience goes first.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

C-Euro posted:

After you've worked for a single day in a relevant industry, your education comes second on your resume.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
If Im looking to change career fields entirely and my previous professional work experience isn't even remotely relevant, should I minimize the length it takes and drop it to the bottom of my resume while moving my relevant industry certifications and self acquired skills to the top of my resume? It feels weird and bad to lead my resume with what is essentially a skills and competencies section, but its the most relevant to the field I'm applying to.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 26, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Lilli posted:

If Im looking to change career fields entirely and my previous professional work experience isnt even remotely relevant should I minimize the length it takes and drop it to the bottom of my resume while moving my relevant industry certifications and self acquired skills to the top of my resume? It feels weird and bad to lead my resume with shat is essentially a skills and competencies section, but its the most relevant to the field Im applying to.
Different people read resumes differently, but usually in something resembling top-to-bottom order. I like to lead off with whatever's going to frame the work experience, and set the expectation as quickly as possible that I think I meet the qualifications for the job. If was to go back to school to completely change careers, that educational experience would come first. If I was trying to move from an engineering role back into management, I might put a short Skills section up top that emphasizes my previous management skills over the engineering work I've been involved with at my most recent position.

A good principle is this: with each passing second, the person reading your resume is getting less and less interested in you unless you've taken the opportunity to wow them. Don't bury the things that will make them consider you underneath a bunch of things they probably don't care about.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've also got some substantive questions:

1) My background is a little eclectic, so I want to make sure I keep it focused, but without leaving out anything that helps me look qualified for the field I'm applying to (and also keeping in mind that my work experience is just the one job, so if I need to pad it without wasting the hiring manager's time, tell me how). I went to law school, I'm a licensed attorney in good standing, but I don't and never have practiced (my state requires no actual work to keep your license, just a yearly fee, which is why I still have it). Is it worth mentioning my license on the resume, or is it a waste of space? Similarly, in law school, I had four internships, involving legal research and writing (for an appellate court, and three state government agencies), which is at least tangentially relevant to the field I'm currently in (copywriting). How and where do I mention these, if I should do it at all? I'm not going to list and describe them piecemeal, that's a waste of space. Do I mention them briefly as a bullet under education? Make it a separate section?

2) My current job title is Senior Copywriter; however my path at my company went: Data entry temp > Junior copywriter > copywriter > Senior copywriter. I made this progression in ~4 years (starting with no experience in the field whatsoever) which I feel is impressive and worth mentioning, I'm just not 100% sure how to do it. In my personal summary? Break down the job titles by date at the beginning of the work experience section? Save it for the cover letter?

3) Is it worth having a short section talking about hobbies/outside-of-work poo poo to make me sound like a fun and well-rounded individual? I run, I volunteer, I used to do comedy (improv & standup). Does that belong on a resume at this point, or is that poo poo just for recent college grads to put on their resume to look cool until they get actual work experience?

4) I was unemployed for 17 months after law school. Will people care about this now that I've been working solidly for the last 5 years? Do I need to get ahead of this anywhere on my resume or cover letter, or can I just list dates accurately and let the hiring manager draw what conclusions they will?

I don't like personal summaries. I have never seen a personal summary that has told me the information that I was looking for. As far as I can recall, I've never selected someone for an interview based on information in a personal summary, but I've ruled a lot of people out based on their personal summaries (usually because they describe a career goal that is not in line with the position).

You should have a skills section and you should list relevant technical skills for the position.

1) You're applying for senior-level positions? I think you're past the point of mentioning internships unless they add something substantive that your resume lacks. If you really do want to mention the internships, I'd list them under work experience.

If you're not actually going to practice as an attorney as part of the position, I don't think your licensing would matter. If you think it says something about your ability to do the job, however, then yes mention it.

2) Cover letter. Your bullet points under work experience should list specific accomplishments that added value to your employer, not to you. You list your final title at the position on your resume.

3) Don't. No one cares. It's a waste of space. I'm not going to offer someone an interview over someone else because they "used to do comedy."

4) I can't imagine anyone caring about that if you've been employed at the same place for 5 years. I think a bit of a job hunt post-graduation is expected these days and I personally don't mind employment gaps unless they are recent or frequent.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I was contacted the other day about a position that isn't listed yet (someone in the know gave them my contact information and portfolio), and we have a phone call set up today to talk more about it. I'm very much interested in learning more and extremely enthusiastic about working for this particular company, but their offices are out of town (one out of state, another in a major city several hours away from me). It's very unlikely that relocating would be an option for me, unfortunately. I'm assuming this will be a barrier no matter what, but I'd like to learn more about the position and if there's any possibility of taking it on remotely... when would be the best time to tackle that information in our conversations?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
After you decide if the position is compelling enough for you to consider a commute. No need to disclose information that would disqualify you before you get them interested in you.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Contract ended again.

Have a new lead at the same company but the job specs are CLEARLY outside of the scope of a temp/contractor, and yet it is a contractor position. How would I deal with this situation?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Where should I put self-taught or non professional experience on my resume? I'm able to put some minor programming stuff that I've done under each section of my employment, but nothing significant and I haven't done any work involving java or android development which is where I'd like to start moving towards. I've done it in my spare time and developed a couple of apps for fun and feel like the next step is a junior position. I mean I haven't published them or anything yet because they're just tools for learning, but I certainly could do that.

Even if I publish an app to the play store, where would this stuff be appropriate? Is it okay to put it under my work experience?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Mr Newsman posted:

Where should I put self-taught or non professional experience on my resume? I'm able to put some minor programming stuff that I've done under each section of my employment, but nothing significant and I haven't done any work involving java or android development which is where I'd like to start moving towards. I've done it in my spare time and developed a couple of apps for fun and feel like the next step is a junior position. I mean I haven't published them or anything yet because they're just tools for learning, but I certainly could do that.

Even if I publish an app to the play store, where would this stuff be appropriate? Is it okay to put it under my work experience?
Normal resume rules apply: show, don't tell. If you've finished them, even if they're dumb, publish them to GitHub. Include a link, and reference specific personal projects instead of some unsubstantiated claim to have worked with something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Is there any point writing a cover letter when applying for a job ad posted by a recruiter? My understanding was that cover letters are ony for when you actually know who the company is, and want to explain why you're a good fit.

Vulture Culture posted:

Normal resume rules apply: show, don't tell. If you've finished them, even if they're dumb, publish them to GitHub. Include a link, and reference specific personal projects instead of some unsubstantiated claim to have worked with something.

Wait, what? Linking directly to your work is the done thing on a resume?