Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Libluini posted:

Man, I love those weirdos. Too bad they're probably not coming out before the end of the decamillennium.

On the other hand, without them I have no reason to play Exalted and thus save a lot of time and money. :v:

Someone adapted Alchemicals to the 3E system, I'll see if I can't find it :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Schwarzwald posted:

Hopefully, the Exigent book will be robust enough that you can design impromptu versions of other the other exalted.

That'll be the first thing I try. My exigent will just be the chosen champion of Orichalculon, god of acting and Orichalcum.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bedlamdan posted:

Someone adapted Alchemicals to the 3E system, I'll see if I can't find it :mrgw:

Here it is.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

That's the one!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bedlamdan posted:

That's the one!

I won't reveal my source, but it's a horrible, old imageboard that is great for finding Exalted crap for no real, good reason.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

I won't reveal my source, but it's a horrible, old imageboard that is great for finding Exalted crap for no real, good reason.

/tg/ is one of the better places for Exalted/WoD discussion, tbh.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

/tg/ is one of the better places for Exalted/WoD discussion, tbh.

Considering their general taste in games as I've observed it, it makes sense that this would be something with a big following there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

To people who know more about the E3 system, is that homebrew any good?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Sweet and Soft Vending (1 XP): The secondary function changes to that of soft serve Ice Cream while maintaining the normal benefits. I am not removing this submodule.

Make that man head writer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ErichZahn posted:

Sweet and Soft Vending (1 XP): The secondary function changes to that of soft serve Ice Cream while maintaining the normal benefits. I am not removing this submodule.

Make that man head writer.

It's not like that couldn't be a totally legit submodule; you'd just have to change it to "a cold, sweet nutrient paste far more delicious than the average cafeteria fare."

Truly, a technology fit for a Champion!

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Has the added benefit of describing fro-yo, kefir, and gelato.

e:... Caffeine submodule, and a variant hot-fun submod that provides bonuses against cold because the first one should definitely help protect against heat-stroke.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 25, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

To people who know more about the E3 system, is that homebrew any good?

Hey, even if it isn't, I found two of the Alchemical books recommended in that homebrew on Scribd and now have something to read, at least. Thanks for that link!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Libluini posted:

Hey, even if it isn't, I found two of the Alchemical books recommended in that homebrew on Scribd and now have something to read, at least. Thanks for that link!

No problem, mate. Like we were saying, /tg/ does, strangely, have good resources for Exalted in the OP of their endlessly reincarnating thread. I don't like the site, but popping into that thread (whatever incarnation it is in) can usually yield an interesting resource, if you keep to the OP.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Attorney at Funk posted:

The one area where I'd identify Ex3 as a step down from previous editions rather than an improvement is that. The corebook is just so much less usable as a reference document. Some of this stuff is getting fixed (the ToC, adding an index) but quite a bit of it probably isn't (the page numbering, the lack of graphical aids for the most complex and sprawly part of the system). Like forget the PDF, these decisions are going to add a lot of stress and irritation to the process of actually using rather than carrying or looking at the physical book.

Have they actually said they're going to improve the Table of Contents? I'd assume they'll fix the misspellings, wrong page numbers and whatnot, but it's still not a good Table of Contents even with those fixed.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kenlon posted:

Hey Roadie, have you magic'd up any more Charm trees?
(I can't believe they didn't include official ones in the book. Jesus Christ on a pogo stick.)

I'll have all the Solar ones ready by sometime today.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Roadie posted:

I'll have all the Solar ones ready by sometime today.

Hell yes. Can you have it done before 5 pm PST, because that's when my gaming group meets. :haw:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ErichZahn posted:

Has the added benefit of describing fro-yo, kefir, and gelato.

e:... Caffeine submodule, and a variant hot-fun submod that provides bonuses against cold because the first one should definitely help protect against heat-stroke.
I love Hot Fun! Can we have some more Hot Fun, Friend Computer?

If Alchemicals were significantly more Alpha Complex I probably would've dug on them more.

Also wasn't tehre some free, low-art errata book for 2E? Obviously you don't want some kind of giant errata book, but some kind of short Quick Reference Manual, available for free and containing all the complex charm summaries, would probably help people a bunch. But again, they may have realized the fans will generate it on their own. :v:

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I saw one of the Onyx Path people saying on rpg.net or something that they're at least considering fixing the pagination.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kenlon posted:

Hell yes. Can you have it done before 5 pm PST, because that's when my gaming group meets. :haw:

No.

Note that most of the trees are mostly identical to the leak except for Integrity, which I've already posted here. I'm redoing them from the ground up anyway mostly to make sure I don't miss fiddly prereq changes or new Charms. You should be able to use the old ones as placeholders for now without too much trouble as long as you check against the book.

Also, the Charm ordering in the book makes no sense. No sense at all.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Roadie posted:

No.

Note that most of the trees are mostly identical to the leak except for Integrity, which I've already posted here. I'm redoing them from the ground up anyway mostly to make sure I don't miss fiddly prereq changes or new Charms. You should be able to use the old ones as placeholders for now without too much trouble as long as you check against the book.

Also, the Charm ordering in the book makes no sense. No sense at all.

And where are these old ones? Also, thanks.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

theironjef posted:

And where are these old ones? Also, thanks.

Here.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
While looking at Linguistics and that sidebar that tells you "no, a painting is Craft" (and then gives you no rules for making paintings so good they make people cry themselves to death or have an epiphany and suddenly learn martial arts), I find myself wondering again why they didn't rename the skill "Expression", mix it with Performance, and put the handful of actual "you learn new language" Charms into Socialize.

I guess that would have taken actual reflection on the rules as a whole instead of just building new subsystems, though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Probably the same reason there are separate "Martial Arts" and "Brawl" abilities.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Is it true that the Underworld is still called the Underworld and not the superior name, Skull Dimension?

Disappointing if so. Shadowlands should be places where the Skull Dimension has taken hold.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I keep trying to get Holden to let me make an EPUB, which to my mind is the height of usability, but I'm not sure how many people would agree.

I would.

Do an iBooks version and you can even toss in semi-automatic glossary entries, indexing, pop-up text boxes, reliable custom fonts, etc.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Solar Charm charts.

For a lol, look at Demon Wracking Shout in Performance. For a dry, aching sob, look at the Craft tree.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Roadie posted:

look at the Craft tree.

Nope not doing that, you can't make me.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Lone Badger posted:

Nope not doing that, you can't make me.

LOOK UPON HIS WORK, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR

Actually, I think Lore and Integrity might be worse.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 26, 2015

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Roadie posted:

For a lol, look at Demon Wracking Shout in Performance.

Seriously. Like seriously. In the "finished" book? That's what's there? REALLY?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd check, but the index says Performance charms are on page 261 and that's nowhere near!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PurpleXVI posted:

Hey, they give super vague circumstances in which the ST can deign to let you learn this charm, it totally works!

nacon
May 7, 2005

The crafting system, as written, seems pretty grindy. It seems like you need a pyramid of silver/gold/white XP to accomplish really cool projects. Has anyone used this system in practice for any amount of time, and found it to be usable/interesting?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

nacon posted:

The crafting system, as written, seems pretty grindy. It seems like you need a pyramid of silver/gold/white XP to accomplish really cool projects. Has anyone used this system in practice for any amount of time, and found it to be usable/interesting?

The points are basically irrelevant, because "fletch an arrow" is a valid basic project that can get you a couple of silver points at a time, and with Sublime Tranference you can convert silver -> gold -> white points. So, spend a couple days making ten billion arrows for your Circle's army in anticipation of an upcoming battle, and you'll have all the points you'll ever need for the rest of the campaign.

The rest is just a giant pile of dice rolling and project durations, and buying a big pile of Charms for enhancing dice rolling and reducing project durations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

nacon posted:

It's an interesting idea (encouraging crafting characters to tinker and make knickknacks whenever they have the excuse), and to slow down being able to bling the entire party, but it's implementation is bad and just encourages grinding instead.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Roadie posted:

The points are basically irrelevant, because "fletch an arrow" is a valid basic project that can get you a couple of silver points at a time, and with Sublime Tranference you can convert silver -> gold -> white points. So, spend a couple days making ten billion arrows for your Circle's army in anticipation of an upcoming battle, and you'll have all the points you'll ever need for the rest of the campaign.

This is an insane interpretation of the rules.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Thug Lessons posted:

To expand on this, remember that to get XP from a project its culmination needs to:

• Give someone an Intimacy towards you or strengthen an existing one.
  • Give you a clear in-game gain (e.g. money, contacts, allies)
  • or Uphold, further or protect one of your Intimacies.

Basically, if a project doesn't create interesting gameplay it doesn't give XP.

Crafting is definitely super-complicated - more than I'd prefer - but it's cool that they at least tried to make it something you can work towards in uptime and remain narratively relevant.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'd have probably done something like this instead:

-For every goal or problem that you assist with by using your mundane crafting skills, gain a bronze XP. You can't split a conceptual task into a bunch of minor projects to spam this; making a million arrows for your army is still only 1 bronze XP. (if your GM lets you do so under the normal rules, he's dumb anyway)
-For 5 bronze XP, you can craft a magical trinket (2 dot artifact). If it's a sort of trinket you've never made before, or is customized for a particular person, gain a silver XP.
-For 3 silver XP, you can craft a significant artifact (3-4 dot). If it's a sort of artifact you've never made before, or is customized for a particular person, gain a gold XP.
-For 3 gold XP, you can craft a major artifact (5 dots to potentially N/A with a story arc).

I'd have also have eliminated any charms made to speed up or otherwise facilitate gaining XP; the point is to make the craftsman always be on the lookout for the chance to use their crafting skill, and to reward them for doing so. It also encourages them to make things that aren't strictly mechanically useful, but more RP items with occasional utility. This isn't too far off from what they actually did, but somewhat simpler.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Yeah, that'd work as a simpler mechanic (maybe changing around numbers here and there and adding some time component - i.e. only doable 1/x or takes x hours/days/weeks to do).

I'm tempted to put together a reference/worksheet for craft to see how complex it is - I have a feeling that good iconography and design might simplify it hugely, as it's not inherently any more complex than most Eurogames but lacks that visual element to guide you.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

To expand on this, remember that to get XP from a project its culmination needs to:

• Give someone an Intimacy towards you or strengthen an existing one.
  • Give you a clear in-game gain (e.g. money, contacts, allies)
  • or Uphold, further or protect one of your Intimacies.

You have to do at least one of those things to get any craft points from it, but you don't have to do all three, and "I am making a bunch of arrows or other basic equipment for my army to defend (place I care about)" could certainly fulfill the second and the third bullet points.

Also, to quote the book (emphasis mine):

quote:

Basic projects are the simplest tasks a craftsman can undertake, such as making a chair, forging basic tools, shoeing a horse, cooking a meal, or fletching an arrow. They normally demand little from the character in time or crafting materials.

There's nothing insane about my interpretation. It's just the logical consequence of basic projects being defined as things so basic that an Exalt could do them literally hundreds or more times in a day.

fool_of_sound posted:

(a straightforward system that actually makes sense)

But then you couldn't put in thirty Charms that are just Craft dice tricks! How are you going to get anyone to use it without rolling gigantic buckets of dice every few minutes?

Roadie fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

We are all insane here. *Cheshire Lunar disappears*

• Locked thread