Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I hope that with Windblade and Victorion winning the vote for fan created characters that we get some gender diversity coming up.

Though Strongarm and Windblade in RiD were pretty weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Anora posted:

I hope that with Windblade and Victorion winning the vote for fan created characters that we get some gender diversity coming up.

I dunno robots can't really have that much gender diversity outside of male and female

They're machines everything is binary. :colbert:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Anora posted:

Though Strongarm and Windblade in RiD were pretty weak

I hoped that in a post-Fury Road world we could get cool female characters without calling attention to it like they came in first place in the special olympics but so far no dice :(

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I hoped that in a post-Fury Road world we could get cool female characters without calling attention to it like they came in first place in the special olympics but so far no dice :(

Honestly Mad Max's characters were far from a prime example, like I thought Furiosa needed a hand when they introduced her.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Prime was far worse than animated, but then again I thought animated was horrible when I saw the commercials, so maybe I just always have an aversion to new TF media. But the entire Aligned thing looked doomed from the start, I mean for fucks sake the tie-in novels couldn't line up with the games, let alone the Prime show.

At least it gave us Airachnid as a character

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I didn't watch all of Prime or any of Beast Hunters, was the BH show nothing to do with the toyline?

And if Optimus is dead in RiD15 why does he have stilt-legged toys for it?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

whole lotta interesting stuff

Boy, brand management sure is hard!

What's the B.O.R. stuff mentioned?

BizarroAzrael posted:

I didn't watch all of Prime or any of Beast Hunters, was the BH show nothing to do with the toyline?

Almost nothing at all. Even Predaking himself had lots of differences between the toy concept and the animation.

And Optimus... he's Optimus Prime, he obviously gets better.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Taint Reaper posted:

like I thought Furiosa needed a hand when they introduced her.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Hey Deceptive Thinker I don't know which Hasbro office you work in but do they still tell the story of the time michael bay came in and wanted a toy made out of a robot in the transformers movie that was life size and was supposed to deliver stuff to the computer guy? And they found it near impossible to sate Mr. Bay's perfectly reasonable demands of having a toy be a lifelike Johnny Five-esque butler robot and that he got so mad that he kicked and destroyed the prototype for not living up to his expectations. And after his fit they re-wrote his contract.

Just asking for a friend.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I just finished my Re-read of MTMTE (Well... read. I'd skimmed the summaries on TFwiki and listened to the audio-reading of the first episode) and 99% of the way enjoyed. Pretty sure Tarn is Roller but as I've been told this is a common theory. Figuring the climax of this narrative arc will be Lost Light vs D.J.A. which has me wondering who'll live, who'll die, and how will they survive when the 5 on their own took out the entire Lost Light. The only differences are Megatron (who's being weakened) and Rodimus that I can majorly think of. Well and the new recruits/Non-Lighters like Skids.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I'm about done reading through the second Windblade mini-series they put out and I'm at this weird feeling where I both like and kinda go bleh at some of the things happening. Even though Waspinator and Rattrap have been there for a while, there suddenly being the whole planet of Beast Wars is a bit jarring to me at the moment. I'm not sure why though since I liked Beast Wars. Did anyone else have a similar feeling?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I liked TF Prime.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

The Taint Reaper posted:

-Michael Bay Story-

LOL that's not exactly how it went, but yes - my former manager-now VP was the engineer on the item
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/20/meet-hasbros-ampbot-the-mother-of-all-rollys/

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Good Listener posted:

I'm about done reading through the second Windblade mini-series they put out and I'm at this weird feeling where I both like and kinda go bleh at some of the things happening. Even though Waspinator and Rattrap have been there for a while, there suddenly being the whole planet of Beast Wars is a bit jarring to me at the moment. I'm not sure why though since I liked Beast Wars. Did anyone else have a similar feeling?

Not quite, but I get what you're saying. I think it's at least partly because the Beast Wars stuff has always been so self-contained, it's pretty weird to see them interacting with other characters outside that subline like they've always been around.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Keldroc posted:

Not quite, but I get what you're saying. I think it's at least partly because the Beast Wars stuff has always been so self-contained, it's pretty weird to see them interacting with other characters outside that subline like they've always been around.

I think that's it really, since I had similar feelings when Rattrap and Waspinator popped up but it seemed a little less jarring at the time because there were only those two. Also I like Rattrap sort of becoming the Starscream to the actual Starscream, albeit with much less open intentions.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Onmi posted:

Prime was far worse than animated, but then again I thought animated was horrible when I saw the commercials, so maybe I just always have an aversion to new TF media. But the entire Aligned thing looked doomed from the start, I mean for fucks sake the tie-in novels couldn't line up with the games, let alone the Prime show.

At least it gave us Airachnid as a character

I loved Prime, but I only viewed Prime as part of it's own thing. It did move slow until season 2, but I think the extra time helped a lot of the impact of the second and third seasons. And almost all of the Decepticons were fantastic. Dreadwing, Starscream, and Knock-out were great.

Also, the Toys for Prime were mostly great. Prime Arcee was remolded into Generations Chromia, and it doesn't feel like a downgrade in quality. Soundwave, Sharkticon Megatron (in robot form), Voyager Starscream, Legends Bombshell, and Dead End are all fun toys, and I had no where near all of them.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

If any Canadians missed CW Leader Megatron like I did, Amazon has him back in stock and on sale for $44.17cad.

Toys R Us has also restocked him but at $59.99cad.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

40Inch posted:

If any Canadians missed CW Leader Megatron like I did, Amazon has him back in stock and on sale for $44.17cad.

Toys R Us has also restocked him but at $59.99cad.

And bless you. Always wanted one of these guys but I am both a cheapskate (which makes it very hard to be a fan of Transformers, I tell you hwhat) and live in Canadian Flyover Country.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

TFP Deluxe Wheeljack is still my favorite toy of that size class of all time. He's just so goddamn good in both modes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Silhouette posted:

TFP Deluxe Wheeljack is still my favorite toy of that size class of all time. He's just so goddamn good in both modes.

I was gonna make this post myself. I'm still sore over missing out on the oversized KO.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm still surprised that he was never remolded into Hot Rod or Drift, since the mold would work for both of them.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Silhouette posted:

I'm still surprised that he was never remolded into Hot Rod or Drift, since the mold would work for both of them.
Yeah, that would have looked fantastic.

It still kinda weirds me out that they had a Wheeljack they meant to make into a white G1 update but they never did that
Then they had a Wheeljack that would make a perfect Drift, but they never did that
Then they had a Drift that really needed a new head and could have been a sweet "G1" Drift, Wheeljack or even Rodimus and instead they remolded Crosshairs into a Tracks that ... Didn't actually end up as a Tracks?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Referring back to the earlier discussion, the Jem movie is on track to make $1.1 million for the weekend in ~2500 theaters, making it the worst opening weekend for a wide release motion picture in history.

Yes, the Jem movie actually had the worst. opening. ever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blackheart posted:

I hope Takara or Third Parties are hard at work making a masterpiece figure of this guy for me to buy with money

This is the first RID guy I've actually been interested in. I guess Grimlock kinda, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keldroc posted:

Referring back to the earlier discussion, the Jem movie is on track to make $1.1 million for the weekend in ~2500 theaters, making it the worst opening weekend for a wide release motion picture in history.

Yes, the Jem movie actually had the worst. opening. ever.

Is this really shocking? The creator of Jem denounced the entire thing from the star and it was barely even connected to the source material aside from character names.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno robots can't really have that much gender diversity outside of male and female

They're machines everything is binary. :colbert:

Shhh, Taint, it's code-words.

Shooshshooshshoosh.

Pappappap.

Onmi posted:

So I just finished my Re-read of MTMTE (Well... read. I'd skimmed the summaries on TFwiki and listened to the audio-reading of the first episode) and 99% of the way enjoyed. Pretty sure Tarn is Roller but as I've been told this is a common theory. Figuring the climax of this narrative arc will be Lost Light vs D.J.A. which has me wondering who'll live, who'll die, and how will they survive when the 5 on their own took out the entire Lost Light. The only differences are Megatron (who's being weakened) and Rodimus that I can majorly think of. Well and the new recruits/Non-Lighters like Skids.

An... audio reading... of a comic book.

Huh. How does that work?

Endless Mike posted:

This is the first RID guy I've actually been interested in. I guess Grimlock kinda, too.

Mrs. Rainbowbeard has expressed an interest in this lil' guy, too. The only other Transformer she has is Ejector, the toaster-bot.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
While I would prefer my transforming robots to be genderless, if it must be the case that some are girls and some are boys then the girls should look like this

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Strika_%28BM%29

because, in relation to a human male, that's basically what the boy bots look like. Boob-butt girl bots are worse than no girl bots at all.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

An... audio reading... of a comic book.

Huh. How does that work?

Like this

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, that would have looked fantastic.

It still kinda weirds me out that they had a Wheeljack they meant to make into a white G1 update but they never did that
Then they had a Wheeljack that would make a perfect Drift, but they never did that
Then they had a Drift that really needed a new head and could have been a sweet "G1" Drift, Wheeljack or even Rodimus and instead they remolded Crosshairs into a Tracks that ... Didn't actually end up as a Tracks?

It's kind of a shame we never saw a G1 colors Cybertron Downshift. That dude was boss.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Anora posted:

I loved Prime, but I only viewed Prime as part of it's own thing. It did move slow until season 2, but I think the extra time helped a lot of the impact of the second and third seasons. And almost all of the Decepticons were fantastic. Dreadwing, Starscream, and Knock-out were great.

Also, the Toys for Prime were mostly great. Prime Arcee was remolded into Generations Chromia, and it doesn't feel like a downgrade in quality. Soundwave, Sharkticon Megatron (in robot form), Voyager Starscream, Legends Bombshell, and Dead End are all fun toys, and I had no where near all of them.

I find it hard to judge a series on its own merits, it's my own bad habit. I had to consider that Animated was cancelled for Prime, and where as the 'Aligned' continuity was a mess and I'd really only enjoyed the video games (which couldn't keep everything straight BEFORE Prime came around) animated just felt like it had so much life pushed into it. It was its own show.

One day I'll have to watch Prime again and let it stand on its own merits. The few episodes I've seen of New RiD just made me go watch Old RiD

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Onmi posted:

I had to consider that Animated was cancelled for Prime,

I don't think this was the case at all?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blackheart posted:

animated had a 4th season set out, the rumors I always heard was with the switch to The Hub, since T:A was produced by cartoon network,they wouldn't be able to broadcast it or continue it. In this case I don't mean that Prime was literally the reason we didn't get Season 4 of T:A, since that would be ludicrous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blackheart posted:

Onmi posted:

animated had a 4th season set out, the rumors I always heard was with the switch to The Hub, since T:A was produced by cartoon network,they wouldn't be able to broadcast it or continue it. In this case I don't mean that Prime was literally the reason we didn't get Season 4 of T:A, since that would be ludicrous.

The Almanac details a lot of what S4 would have been. But yeah, the move to the Hub meant a new show was required.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's hard to be certain if S4 would have been the cool stuff they hinted at, or the up its own rear end in references as a lot of the almanac suggested. Animated had a lot of poo poo in it and it's hard to say which way anything would have gone.

The best stuff in animated is when they really twisted the source material. Ultra Magnus was awesome, I liked the interplay between Optimus and Sentinel, Omega Supreme is cool, his interaction with Ratchet was cool, an entire series of "Letter Supremes" as transforming spaceships that all get blown up by Blackout and are crewed by characters from other series is decidedly not "standing on its own merits".

But I'll take Prime being made anyway, since TFP Arcee is fantastic. There's a lot of positive stuff out of both of those shows and if either one hadn't been made I think the franchise would be ultimately worse off.

Keldroc posted:

- WFC was originally a legit G1 prequel
I wonder how much of WFC/FoC's utter inability to be a G1 prequel was backflow from the Prime studio or their own inability to reference the source material in proper order or hold tone with it. loving derp energon. It feels a lot more like War Within but also with some prime stuff floating in the bowl.

I still wonder what happened with the rumors of Combiners and stuff within Prime. It was talked about in the first season, and they did force combiners into aligned.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Onmi posted:

I had to consider that Animated was cancelled for Prime,

I see this pop up a lot as reasons people hate shows, and it's totally unfair. I doubt the Prime people wanted Animated canceled, it just happened that way.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think I liked all of the Prime decepticons. Hell, even Predaking was kinda cool too when he revealed his true self.

On the autobots side, Ratchet was neat and I kinda liked Smokescreen, he was what Bumblebee should have been from the start.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
TFP Bumblebee is my favorite version of the character.

Unfortunately the TFP human children are every bit as bad as the ones in the Unicron Trilogy.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I don't hate TFP BB, it's just that... there wasn't any good reason to have him not talk, except for the movieverse homage. The kids weren't terrible either, it's just that they were just kind of... there? They didn't do too much of anything so I don't think they're nearly as bad as the humans from the Unicron trilogy era.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blackheart posted:

I don't hate TFP BB, it's just that... there wasn't any good reason to have him not talk, except for the movieverse homage. The kids weren't terrible either, it's just that they were just kind of... there? They didn't do too much of anything so I don't think they're nearly as bad as the humans from the Unicron trilogy era.

Well they explain his lack of a voice pretty early and unrepairable parts were a constant thing in the series so it kind of worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I finally got a Devastator. I was holding out for the Takara version for the elbows, but I couldn't pass it up when I saw it on a shelf.

Of course I'm still going to buy the Takara version. Who needs space for anything besides Transformers in their home?