Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
It already is common. Just mix your berserker with a few valkyrie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Okay!
I checked all of my character and, regardless of what they had before, they all had 200 points or less.
Anet capped everyone :psyduck:

The "cap" is the amount of hero challenges in the world, of which there are about 200 (a few more with Drytop/SW, WvW maps and the home instance place of power) in old Tyria. Skill points not from hero challenges got converted into spirit shards.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Solumin posted:

If you literally don't have a single character at level 80, then there's nothing in HoT for you. Pretty much all the HoT-exclusive content requires being level 80.

Oh well. Thanks for saving me 50+ bones :shobon:

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
I'm happy with how my Revenant turned out. I don't like much of the heavy armor, so I tried to make it look medium.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I got this bitchin' new skull bow and updated my outfit to match.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Oh well. Thanks for saving me 50+ bones :shobon:

You're welcome! I hope you find a class that clicks for you. You're missing out on a lot of content in the base game alone...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Solumin posted:

You're welcome! I hope you find a class that clicks for you. You're missing out on a lot of content in the base game alone...

It's more that many of them click, and I burn out repeating the same content over and over as a result. I vary between digging Warrior, Engineer, Guardian, sometimes Necromancer, sometimes Mesmer, that new one looks fun too. At least I don't really give a poo poo about Thief, and while normally Elementalist would 100% be my jam it looks too drat complicated to play for me :v:.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

this has been a look into the mind of an idiot, thank you for reading

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

It's more that many of them click, and I burn out repeating the same content over and over as a result. I vary between digging Warrior, Engineer, Guardian, sometimes Necromancer, sometimes Mesmer, that new one looks fun too. At least I don't really give a poo poo about Thief, and while normally Elementalist would 100% be my jam it looks too drat complicated to play for me :v:.

That sounds exactly like me :v: Ironically, the first class I've really felt like "this is it" with is the new class Revenant.

e: not that I'm advocating buying the expansion just for the new class.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 25, 2015

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Your Computer posted:

That sounds exactly like me :v: Ironically, the first class I've really felt like "this is it" with is the new class Revenant.

To be honest the thing I like most about the Revanant, and to a lesser extent this is true on Engineer, is you get rid of all the useless bullshit in utility selection. Sorry, but trying to juggle 100 combinations of skills and abilities to find what works best for me is more work than I want to put into any video game not based on something worth the effort. Ultimately it just forces people to choose relatively haphazardly and deal with it, or just cause an even bigger rush to forums to post questions about getting hand fed builds. With Revenant you've got very defined roles for each of the stances with their own set of utilities that are not fungible and it's far easier to work out good trait builds on your own by comparing the pre-formed skills in the stance to the trait trees instead of having to work out an entire trait tree to some combination of 5 skills out of a pool of 25 or whatever the average number is per class.

nessin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 25, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Druid stuff

What gear? Maybe druid is just a bad fit with a condi build.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Basically I think if all MMOs let you do everything with one character a la FFXIV I'd be a much, much happier human being :(

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Basically I think if all MMOs let you do everything with one character a la FFXIV I'd be a much, much happier human being :(

I want to see this in a modern MMO but without FFXIV's server-destroying, bandwidth-clogging wonk rear end backend code

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Alteisen posted:

What gear? Maybe druid is just a bad fit with a condi build.

Druid is a straight buff to any Ranger build. However, you can't really lay down any condi hurt using staff or while in celestial.

Use your old Ranger condi builds that you like, weapons and utilities, and treat the celestial skills as a heal bar when needed. There are no three "mandatory" trait lines for a condi or a power Ranger, so Druid can squeeze comfortably in to any old build.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
It's real!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Wow, I just hit 80 earlier today and went to the first HoT zone on my Revenant (I'd just done the intro quest one of my other characters) and after exploring half the map there is literally just one item I've been able to interact with, the Flamethrower challenge banner just south of the entrance. Everything else pops up a notice that I have to complete some masteries before I can use them or insta kills me when I try to approach it (a couple of the Mastery Points).

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Alteisen posted:

Druid got me feeling like:

same, but because dumbasses WONT STOP loving STANDING IN THE FIRE AND DODGING OUT MY HEALING SHROOMS

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I die in half a second but zerker Scrapper in WvW is pretty fun. Stealth in with Elixir S toolbelt then drop Spare Capacitor/Thunderclap/Shredder Gyro for instant 25 stacks of vulnerability and all the burst in the world.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ItBurns posted:

It's real!

Time Marches On might be my favorite thing about the expansion right now (since I have already destroyed my three thousand ascended rings). Best minor trait in the game :allears:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'll second everyone else's frustration on the elite spec unlocking with my reason from my own stubbornness: I've waited a long time to play with a staff on my thief, and by god I'm going to do it, except now I'm running only two trait lines in order to use it. I am left with two options: play the old content with my elite weapon really, really slowly (i.e. one hero point at a time) or play the new content with my old weapons, which I have no desire to do. I just want to use a staff and not get my rear end handed to me.

My personal anecdote for the population problem: I played from 9-11pm PDT last night and I didn't see a single commander tag in Verdant Brink the whole time.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

OzFactor posted:

I'll second everyone else's frustration on the elite spec unlocking with my reason from my own stubbornness: I've waited a long time to play with a staff on my thief, and by god I'm going to do it, except now I'm running only two trait lines in order to use it. I am left with two options: play the old content with my elite weapon really, really slowly (i.e. one hero point at a time) or play the new content with my old weapons, which I have no desire to do. I just want to use a staff and not get my rear end handed to me.

My personal anecdote for the population problem: I played from 9-11pm PDT last night and I didn't see a single commander tag in Verdant Brink the whole time.

I don't see people using commander tags all that often unless I'm using one myself. You can't expect to be led arond in a zerg because there are just too many events going on at the same time, and people are generally off doing their own thing with small groups when there isn't a zone-wide event.

nessin posted:

Wow, I just hit 80 earlier today and went to the first HoT zone on my Revenant (I'd just done the intro quest one of my other characters) and after exploring half the map there is literally just one item I've been able to interact with, the Flamethrower challenge banner just south of the entrance. Everything else pops up a notice that I have to complete some masteries before I can use them or insta kills me when I try to approach it (a couple of the Mastery Points).

Get used to playing with other people I guess. You can do most of the hero ones with 3 people, some are soloable with the right classes.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 25, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

When last I played, ANet had an absurd hard-on for Warriors and Engineers were shat upon from on high with bugs and bad design decisions (like... runes? or something? not working when you had grenades out or something). Is that still the case?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

When last I played, ANet had an absurd hard-on for Warriors and Engineers were shat upon from on high with bugs and bad design decisions (like... runes? or something? not working when you had grenades out or something). Is that still the case?

Everything is good and fun as far as the base classes go now. The elite specs vary a bit but engineers (Scrappers) seem to be happy with theirs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Any chance Anet fixed elites while I've been on a plane for 15 hours?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ItBurns posted:

Get used to playing with other people I guess. You can do most of the hero ones with 3 people, some are soloable with the right classes.

I'm referring to ground terrain or areas that look like you can jump them only to find out you need that glider for the extra inch.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I noticed a bunch of :smug: posts on the GW2 reddit about how all the Hero Challenges are totally doable you guys just suck because you won't play with people :smug:.

gently caress you Anet I'm working tonight and have only 20 minutes at most to log in and do anything. Do you know what it's like to do that and feel like there's nothing in HoT worth investing in because you don't have poopsock time on you? Makes me not want to play the loving game at all because it feels more like a job to explore the new zones than it does a fun challenge.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

No. Order 12 pizzas and get grinding.

mind the walrus posted:

I noticed a bunch of :smug: posts on the GW2 reddit about how all the Hero Challenges are totally doable you guys just suck because you won't play with people :smug:.

gently caress you Anet I'm working tonight and have only 20 minutes at most to log in and do anything. Do you know what it's like to do that and feel like there's nothing in HoT worth investing in because you don't have poopsock time on you? Makes me not want to play the loving game at all because it feels more like a job to explore the new zones than it does a fun challenge.

TBF I just hopped in with a goon train and we knocked out almost all of aurin basin in like 30 minutes not counting the 9 times I respawned the same champ challenges on top of dead people. That was worth like 60 points or so. Its pretty bullshit but its not terrible and can be done in chunks. Definitely takes the fun out of map exploring though.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 25, 2015

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Generic Octopus posted:

Everything is good and fun as far as the base classes go now. The elite specs vary a bit but engineers (Scrappers) seem to be happy with theirs.

Yeah, outside of the gyros Scrapper seems great. The gyros though are almost certainly going to get reworked because they barely function.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

TBF I just hopped in with a goon train and we knocked out almost all of aurin basin in like 30 minutes not counting the 9 times I respawned the same champ challenges on top of dead people. That was worth like 60 points or so. Its pretty bullshit but its not terrible and can be done in chunks. Definitely takes the fun out of map exploring though.

Isn't this assuming you already have all the masteries necessary to get to the various points?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Isn't this assuming you already have all the masteries necessary to get to the various points?

No. People will port you and we went in order from the start of the zone, so you don't even need any waypoints and will have them all when you're done.

Stop crying.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ItBurns posted:

No. People will port you and we went in order from the start of the zone, so you don't even need any waypoints and will have them all when you're done.

Fair enough.

quote:

Stop crying.

Make me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Generic Octopus posted:

Glad to know. One more question, I know I said I didn't appear to need the expansion yet, but I could use the extra character slot, and if I'm going to buy the expansion eventually ANYWAY... well, how much are character slots normally?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

About $10 normally.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

About $10 normally.

Deluxe and Ultimate packs don't seem worth the dosh, then. Thanks :)

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Ciaphas posted:

Funny thing about that.

I pre-ordered the standard edition, still got an extra character slot.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Arthil posted:

Funny thing about that.

I pre-ordered the standard edition, still got an extra character slot.

standard comes with a char slot for old players, other ones come with 2 slots for old players

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My guild tried to reclaim the Guild Hall, but it might've been a situation where there was too many of us, since we got over 10 maws and a stupid load of adds with them. So it might actually be better with less people?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just spent a couple of hours in the jungle doing events on my Rev and all I got was 300k exp. Out of 1 million. At level 3. I knew it was bad, but drat :stare: How on earth are people already level 20+? Do the events grant more exp in the later maps?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

The ultimate pack is worth the money if you think at some point you will buy the 50 dollars worth of gems, because you break even with just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This just convinced me to use my last slot for a female human mesmer, goddamn.

Speaking of, what's the best personal story apart for the circus?

• Locked thread