Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Duelling groups of stormvermin polearm vs rapier is cool and satisfying. Charge attack, stab one in the eye, dodge, repeat. By the end you are the last man standing.

Also if anyone is looking for a good time to get in a few quick hits vs stormervim, wait till after thier overhead swing. Thier head will be down, and it's easier to headshot them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Another big thing to notice about Heat is that you passively cool down (without venting) slower if you're over the hash marks. So going right up to the edge of exploding will make it take a long time to cool down without venting.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal
Which do you think gives more loot: nightmare black powder or nightmare magus? I want to maximize my poopsockin and get some sweet helmets I can't see.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Tell me this is a dwarven laser rifle like the moon raker in Goldeneye.

It has the accuracy of one, and it can shoot through 2-3 stormvermin at once!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

moths posted:

And if your heat maxes out, you... explode? (I haven't tried that yet.)
If your heat maxes out, it just maxes out. If you cast again while your heat is maxed, you explode.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

moths posted:

So if you cross the line, throw spells until you're about to die, then be melee until your staff cools down?

Yes. Alternatively, vent if you need to cast more but can take the HP loss.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Dezztroy posted:

My first (and one of two) orange was a blunderbuss.

The blunderbuss definitely needs a buff. I think making it armor piercing and kill stormvermin in one bodyshot even on higher difficulties could go a long way to making it more useful. Or the more amusing option would be to up its knockback so that it knocks stormvermin clean on their rear end.
They should turn it into an ammo limited version of the Bright Wizard's normal Beam Staff attack. Just press mouse 1 to erase a whole load of rats in front of you.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The lobby browser is new and WiP as they're trying to figure out why the matchmaking sometimes takes too long, per the patch notes.

It has been in place since the full release, it's just that before this last patch it was broken and would flash all the servers on screen for a second or two then would only show the first 2 servers on the list.

Also I got an orange blunderbuss with the 50% reload speed + knockback + bonus ammo, but I'm hesitant to replace my blue rifle. I mean, it does more damage I guess, but at the same time its sole purpose is to help whittle down hordes which my 2H hammer already destroys anyway. It would PROBABLY be good as an anti-rat ogre weapon as well, but would take away the ability for me to long range pick the storm vermin, packmasters, gutter runners, and ratling gunners.

Tough call. Why couldn't it have been a repeater rifle instead :(?

Edit: Also fused 5 blues to get an orange sword for the Mage, which I don't play at all. gently caress.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 25, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man I love the stab with the rapier but the normal swing feels like I am hitting rats with a nerf bat.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Plus 1 for Gardens of Morr best map in the game.

Vermintide: Everything is Wheat & Chaff

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Man I love the stab with the rapier but the normal swing feels like I am hitting rats with a nerf bat.
I felt this at first but I started getting used to the normal swings and I can now hit the head most of the time with them, which is an instant kill on clan rats on normal (don't know about higher difficulties).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its great if you're spamming dodge while swinging. You'll dodge 90% of attacks and i've used it to avoid swarms. Almost solo'd the horn's survival part doing that.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I'm still using the grey rapier at level 11 , because literally every rare drop or fuse I get is some dwarf poo poo Im never going to use.

Elpato posted:

Duelling groups of stormvermin polearm vs rapier is cool and satisfying. Charge attack, stab one in the eye, dodge, repeat. By the end you are the last man standing.

Also if anyone is looking for a good time to get in a few quick hits vs stormervim, wait till after thier overhead swing. Thier head will be down, and it's easier to headshot them.

I swear packmasters and assassins are programmed to target anyone trying to do this.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Gardens of Morr is pretty awesome but have you guys forgotten about the wizard's tower already? loving illusions and M.C. Escher rooms and poo poo.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Is steam group chat hosed for anyone?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There are a lot of good levels in this game.

We thought we had mostly finished the Machines of War when we got the Doomwheels, but there's a pretty long journey through the forest and a holdout after that. It was fun.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

dogstile posted:

Its great if you're spamming dodge while swinging. You'll dodge 90% of attacks and i've used it to avoid swarms. Almost solo'd the horn's survival part doing that.

Yeah I think thats sort of the idea with it and the daggers on waywatcher. Just totally maxed mobility never stop moving and swinging. I won't really intiate with a horde unless im feeling very safe/confident, but I will wade in after a tank/s push and take heads.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Ghetto Prince posted:

I'm still using the grey rapier at level 11 , because literally every rare drop or fuse I get is some dwarf poo poo Im never going to use.

I swear packmasters and assassins are programmed to target anyone trying to do this.

What a coincidence, I'm still using the starter axe and shield for my dwarf and I've got a nice rapier for my WH that I'll never use 😐👍(also a kickin' rad war hammer for the soldier)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Insert name here posted:

I felt this at first but I started getting used to the normal swings and I can now hit the head most of the time with them, which is an instant kill on clan rats on normal (don't know about higher difficulties).

At least on hard it generally takes two or three headshots with the normal swing and at least four body shots, at least from my experiences. I generally end up playing like a fencer, just skirt in for a stab then back out again.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I met an actual decent pubby group, but could not add any of them as friends.

There simply is no option to add players as friends.

In a co-op game :wtc:

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Just had a map were the coach wouldn't loving leave.

:mad:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

moths posted:

So if you cross the line, throw spells until you're about to die, then be melee until your staff cools down?
You cool down a lot slower for heat that's above the lines though, so if you're just above the lines its probably worth waiting for a bit instead of maxing the heat out.

e: Look at that a whole new page.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Tokubetsu posted:

Plus 1 for Gardens of Morr best map in the game.

Do you think it's easier/faster to do a full tome/grim run on that map than on horn?

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Their name is the same as their Steam name. Use community search.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Couldn't you just look their names up via Steam? Or is that not how it works?

On an aside, I can't help but play Hard modes now. Normal modes lull you into a sense of superiority and makes you cocky. Hard mode kinda puts you in check.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Huh. Steam has a "Players" list where you can see people you've played with recently online, helps in situations like that.

No one from Vermintide shows up, guess it's not compatible with that game yet either. :v:

Looks like you'll just have to write their names down and look them up manually for now!

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Dvsilverwing posted:

Do you think it's easier/faster to do a full tome/grim run on that map than on horn?

Idk about that, it's just the map i like to look at the most right now. Horn is just really effecient right now but I've been playing for a handful of beta arounds before launch so I'm kinda over it. I won't complain though, I just like lighting skaven on fire in my heart.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Goons in general are good at running horn of magnus cause of how many times we have done it in the beta. I think another map might be better for farming but i am not certain. Personally I think it might be war machines, since it is very straight forward aside from the blowing up the doomwheels stage and for how open it is. I just don't know where anything is yet. I generally like all the maps. Wheat and chaff looks great but drat is it brutal.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

What's the melee really like in this game?

I tried to get an idea by watching a few streams, but none of the players seemed that comfortable or good with the weapons yet. So what I saw was simply charging up axe swings and letting them go, slapping or more effective stabbing with the rapier and what seemed like an ineffective block (to be fair, it was against a rat ogre), and some guy with a short sword blindly hacking (he probably sucked).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hypha posted:

Goons in general are good at running horn of magnus cause of how many times we have done it in the beta. I think another map might be better for farming but i am not certain. Personally I think it might be war machines, since it is very straight forward aside from the blowing up the doomwheels stage and for how open it is. I just don't know where anything is yet. I generally like all the maps. Wheat and chaff looks great but drat is it brutal.
Last time I played War Machines, the boat wouldn't activate and three of us fell through the world at the end point.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

At its base the melee is pretty standard - strike, block, shove. Block and shove have stamina attached so you can't do them infinitely. The trick is reading the combat in front of you and getting into a rhythm that will allow you to do damage as quickly as possible while taking as little as possible. This gets even more complex when you add in 3 other people who are also affecting the combat around you.

If I had to sum it up in a single term, melee is about situational awareness. It's easier the faster your weapon is and the more stamina your weapon gives you, but you will kill more slowly since fast, sturdy weapon setups tend to have less damage and less range. Killing slowly is a problem since the game doesn't believe in giving you a standardized union break in between waves. If you take too long, it'll just dump on you again.

This isn't to say that fast, sturdy weapon setups are useless or low skill. Most successful teams have at least one character who is using a weapon/shield configuration which exemplifies the fast, sturdy archetype. These weapon setups are fantastic at distracting and disrupting opponents, which makes the combat much, much easier for the two-handed or dual-wielded weapon setups that exemplify fast killing and big damage to navigate.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 25, 2015

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yeah, rhythm is an important word. Once you get that down, it feels really satisfying. There's a great feeling in holding off an entire swarm by yourself, feeling every swing of your sword taking Skaven heads and every shield bash pushing back a dozen rats. The hits feel real meaty, and when you're actually in the field instead of hiding in a corner, rats on all sides but still surviving, you feel like a loving hero.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Hydrocodone posted:

What's the melee really like in this game?

I tried to get an idea by watching a few streams, but none of the players seemed that comfortable or good with the weapons yet. So what I saw was simply charging up axe swings and letting them go, slapping or more effective stabbing with the rapier and what seemed like an ineffective block (to be fair, it was against a rat ogre), and some guy with a short sword blindly hacking (he probably sucked).

On Easy and Normal, you can run around without knowing the ins and outs of the melee combat system without getting punished too much. A lot of people just LMB their way to the end, and it's a toss-up whether or not the rats win the war of attrition (and how many healing supplies spawn). Lots of the current Youtube vids and streams are this right now, because they don't really know what they are doing.

On Hard and above, you have to be maxing out how much damage you do without trading damage with some rat peon. You have to learn to dodge and block at the right time or you are going to get worn down or just straight up murdered on the higher difficulties.

Everyone weapon has a normal and strong attack. They are all different with their stats (power, speed, number of targets it can hit, armor piercing, knockback, etc). A heavy weapon like the Zweihander will obvious cleave more rats than the rapier, but it will do it much slower. You have to learn how a weapon swings and what you can do with it without getting hit in the process.

-The LMB click attack is your normal attack. It's faster than the strong one, and it generally causes lower class rats to flinch, so you can hack them to death without retaliation. That's the weapon's knockback stat at work. The normal attack is the attack that's spammable in lots of situations (and one you see used exclusively by terrible players). Some melee weapons are an exception here. The two-handed hammer can one-shot most rats with a single bop on the head, but it's an overhead swing. It doesn't let you wade into the horde without getting murdered.
-The LMB and hold (strong) attack is also different for every weapon. It generally has armor piercing because you are really wailing on whatever you are hitting. It takes a second to charge, so it becomes a dance to charge your attack, whack rats, then dodge back out before their friends behind them can retaliate.
-RMB is your block. Every weapon has its own stamina meter that lets you block attacks. Weapons with a shield obviously give more stamina for blocks, which the Elf daggers give very few. If all your stamina gets sapped by blocking too much at once, you stagger and probably get stabbed.
-RMB + LMB is your push. It'll push dudes back, and it also serves as a taunt. If you push a rat, they'll try to kill you instead of whatever else they were doing. Shields have great pushes while other weapons range from middling to poo poo.
-Strafing or backpeddling + jump is a dodge. This will let you get into the fray to do damage and come out without retaliation if you do it well. There are no i-frames from what I can tell. What you see is what you get.

This is turning into an essay that you probably don't want to read.

TLDR - there's some subtlety in the melee system that feels great to master and separates the good players from the bad.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Generally your melee weapon choice also decides what you do as a group. You can focus on being a stormvermin can-opener but hordes are difficult to thin. The two handed weapons can cleave through hordes but have to give stormvermin some pause. If caught out also, the slower weapons can be overwhelmed if the skaven come at you faster that you can hit them. One handed weapons with a shield can hold back almost anything but they don't kill things as fast as the others. The range weapons can compensate but only so far (bright mage being a bit of the inverse).

Making sure you have a good mix of weapons help. At least one shield and some decent aoe is all that is needed for melee.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Anyone up for grinding Black Powder on Hard?

Join me in game!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/kwosge/

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hypha posted:

Generally your melee weapon choice also decides what you do as a group. You can focus on being a stormvermin can-opener but hordes are difficult to thin. The two handed weapons can cleave through hordes but have to give stormvermin some pause. If caught out also, the slower weapons can be overwhelmed if the skaven come at you faster that you can hit them. One handed weapons with a shield can hold back almost anything but they don't kill things as fast as the others. The range weapons can compensate but only so far (bright mage being a bit of the inverse).

Making sure you have a good mix of weapons help. At least one shield and some decent aoe is all that is needed for melee.

The rapier is amazing for gutting stormvermin but they are generally better handled at range with a handgun. That is also the reason why the handgun is my go-to weapon of choice for the soldier since he excels at horde killing and can still point and click specials if you have good aim.

I honestly think that storm vermin should be rotated out of the specials spawn and used as a standard enemy that follows larger groups of rats and on ambushes/hordes because they are such an integral part of what makes good team work important in the game and they serve to break up corner shield walls against bads.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Also: at least for the dwarf (haven't tried soldier with a shield yet), the axe & shield's charge attack hits multiple rats in front of you, staggering them as if you shield bashed them (I don't believe the stagger is quite as long, but it's significant enough to be able to chain hit them), and more importantly, actually deals damage. A green axe & shield charge attack chain will two-shot regular rats and can mow through hordes while still giving you the option to regular shield bash now and again.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Just queued into a random Normal Horn with pubbies as Elf, dead on the ground around the three barrel door area. Guy goes "AN ELF LOL" in chat and I'm immediately votekicked.

Pubbies :downsbravo:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

The rapier is amazing for gutting stormvermin but they are generally better handled at range with a handgun. That is also the reason why the handgun is my go-to weapon of choice for the soldier since he excels at horde killing and can still point and click specials if you have good aim.

I honestly think that storm vermin should be rotated out of the specials spawn and used as a standard enemy that follows larger groups of rats and on ambushes/hordes because they are such an integral part of what makes good team work important in the game and they serve to break up corner shield walls against bads.

Are they even considered specials? At least in the score recap, I thought Stormvermin kills were in their own category outside of "special rat kills" suggesting they're considered just a stronger rat.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

They currently clearly ARE considered something other than specials, which is potentially part of the problem because they equally clearly pose a special's threat profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Those loving elves who think all they're able to do is shoot their goddamn bow :tbear:

• Locked thread