Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

DR not being able to subvert in cities is bullshit

http://imgur.com/ETezf60

26th July snuck in the win on the last action before the 3rd propaganda (he went to +3, I was on +1 with DR) with a terror in Havana. Government player was off his game tonight, and I was a moron for making myself a target the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

kalthir posted:

DR not being able to subvert in cities is bullshit

http://imgur.com/ETezf60

26th July snuck in the win on the last action before the 3rd propaganda (he went to +3, I was on +1 with DR) with a terror in Havana. Government player was off his game tonight, and I was a moron for making myself a target the whole game.

historical

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

tomdidiot posted:

I've just set up the Nordwind Scenario for Beyond the Rhine, and my first thought is Jesus Christ, What the gently caress was that Hitler guy thinking?

The greatest trick the Wehrmacht ever pulled was convincing the world it was all Hitler's fault

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Wargames already make up 100% of my unplayed games and here I am considering maxing out my 50% discount in the GMT sale. Looking at Virgin Queen, Crown of Roses, Saints in Armor, and Caesar: Conquest of Gaul.

Any traps in that list?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

You'll get mixed opinions about VQ and its predecessor, HIS which you can easily find discussions of by looking at my post history or Tekopo's.

I have Nothing Gained But Glory which is a Musket and Pike game like Saints in Armor. I haven't played it because my eyes glazed over multiple times trying to read the reaction rules. I don't know how you don't make a graphical player aid or at least a flow chart for that stuff. Some guy on BGG made one but it was invalidated by a rules revision. The system looks ace except for that.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
In a completely unrelated question, does anybody know what direction you are supposed to round in the push of shields step in Great Battles of Alexander? I'm playing Samarkand to learn the system and almost instantly ran into a situation where the attacker has 2 hits and the defender 5. For now I'm going to use the rounding rules for the size ratio.

EDIT: Saints in Armor has a reaction summary table on the player aid it seems. Was that not in previous volumes or is it just not enough?

EDIT2: Ugh, swingy die rolls with next to no ability to influence them, not enough of them to even out the curve, for practically everything, and in a long-rear end game? If they're also all binary pass-fail that's like every dice nope in one game. Unsold on that one, thanks for the warning.

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 27, 2015

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Looking at my copy it seems that there is a small chart on the turn/order tracker but I would prefer something like this, which is sadly out of date for the current edition of the rules. I even PMed the guy to ask if he had any plans to update it and he said no. It's probably not as bad as I think it is. Reading it out as a block of text in the rules is difficult.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

MikeCrotch posted:

The greatest trick the Wehrmacht ever pulled was convincing the world it was all Hitler's fault

Herbstnebel/Wacht-am-Rhein and Nordwind were most definitely Hitler's fault.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 27, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

COOL CORN posted:

If this mission goes well, I might try to LP a Korea mission, and have people command platoons, that'd be a fun thing soul wrenching experience that will leave me in tears.

FTFY. Do it anyway.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Ended up getting Caesar: Conquest of Gaul, Blood and Roses, Saints in Armor and some more counter trays.

Godspeed money, we hardly new ye! :patriot:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Saw this posted on BGG hot deals -- NWS is carrying MMP games again. Their prices seem really good unless their shipping is insane: http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/mupuse.html

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

T-Bone posted:

Saw this posted on BGG hot deals -- NWS is carrying MMP games again. Their prices seem really good unless their shipping is insane: http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/mupuse.html

Yessssss... I don't understand how they do it, but I'm glad they do.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
What is the thread opinion on Victory Lost/Victory Denied?

Reluctant Enemies is a good intro to OCS too, right? Anything else there that you guys highly recommend? They even do requests :stare:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

T-Bone posted:

What is the thread opinion on Victory Lost/Victory Denied?

Reluctant Enemies is a good intro to OCS too, right? Anything else there that you guys highly recommend? They even do requests :stare:

Reluctant Enemies was recommended to me earlier in the thread. It looks beautiful sitting Unplayed on my shelf. I have hopes to find someone to actually play it with one day.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If anyone is interested in (prices don't include shipping):

Advanced Third Reich (AH) - $70
Ambush! (Victory) - $40

Shoot me a PM! I'm offloading some things since I need some money.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 29, 2015

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Aw man, I'd be tempted by Normandy '44. I'll even be in the US for a week (between Nov4th-8th) in the Twin Cities area for Netrunner worlds.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

COOL CORN posted:

Fields of Fire (GMT) - $60

So soon?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I wish the canadian dollar wasnt poo poo. I also wish shipping to canada wasnt retarded expensive. I want fields of fire :smith:

Edit: I want all of those minus space encounters (I already own it)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'd buy FoF but shipping + customs is too high for the UK

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

There's only one copy of Fields of Fire and we just pass it around.

I'm the one who kept the vintage SPI/West End Games counter tray. :ssh:

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 29, 2015

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

I don't wanna talk about it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

I don't wanna talk about it.

It's a tough love, but it's love.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Whenever I check out a geeklist or wargames subforum topic on BGG it's always the same two or three dudes bashing on Combat Commander while simultaneously singing the praises of Up Front. Now, I respect Up Front for what it attempts to be, namely a half hour to an hour card game, but I haven't played since I had a game go two and a half hours because of the inability of either player to draw the cards that they needed. I find it hard to believe that some of these guys have played the game for 30 years and have their blinders strapped on that tightly. The problems are pretty fixable, too. All you need to do is move from a shared deck to separate decks for each nation and maybe fiddle with the distribution of each card type and discard limits. It's the same type of puritanical grognardism that you get from morons still playing the edition of D&D they liked when they were fifteen. In fact, a lot of wargamers seem to have these hangups and it makes it difficult to take their opinons seriously and find good reviews and criticism of wargames.

Basically what I'm getting at is this thread is a service to the community and a refreshing burst of sanity.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

tomdidiot posted:

Aw man, I'd be tempted by Normandy '44. I'll even be in the US for a week (between Nov4th-8th) in the Twin Cities area for Netrunner worlds.

You play with Tekopo right? Since I live in the Twin Cities, I'm half tempted to ask you to ferry a copy of Totaler Krieg back to him since he can't get it cheaply over in the UK.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

blackmongoose posted:

You play with Tekopo right? Since I live in the Twin Cities, I'm half tempted to ask you to ferry a copy of Totaler Krieg back to him since he can't get it cheaply over in the UK.
:stare:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Guns of Gettysburg is trying to kill us. Over the course of three (sliiiiiiightly) extended lunchbreaks, my coworker and I have managed to make it through night one. I'm pretty sure we've made at least one rules mistake per in-game hour.

I have heard more than one wargamer call Simmons' Games "simplified" or "easy to play."

I may not be smart enough for this end of the hobby.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Whoever said that to you is wrong because the Napoleon's Triumph rulebook sucks and doesn't adequately explain its concepts. Once you get it down it's probably easy but the same can be said for tons of other stuff.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Simmons games aren't really that easy to play, so I wouldn't worry. GoG is an especially difficult beast thanks tooltip-hour turns.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
The multi-hour turns, we got down real quick (including the "Player 2 can't hold if they shortened the turn").

We just keep stumbling over the little niggling incidentals buried in the rules text. Things like "Unhit defensive artillery returns to hand after use" or "Positions adjacent to lost fights must also mandatory-withdraw" or "Cavalry cannot march into Field of Fire" or "If you Mandatory Withdraw during Hold orders and declare Hold Orders again, you must discard 2 battle tokens."

Like, every time we read one, we go "Yeah okay, that makes sense for the simulation." But they just keep popping out of the walls.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 30, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Simmons games aren't really that easy to play, so I wouldn't worry. GoG is an especially difficult beast thanks tooltip-hour turns.

GoG is the hardest Simmons game to play simply because of the way units 'control' areas whereas in NT or BaM you can just stroll around and it's fine- each space is discrete and your movement is largely free.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Dear GMT, please stop pushing this dumb american revolution coin and print games only me and five other people in the world are interested in (fields of fire 2, fab:golan '73).

Also, Hammerin' Sickles is a terrible pun and you should feel ashamed of yourselves.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Dear GMT, please stop pushing this dumb american revolution coin and print games only me and five other people in the world are interested in (fields of fire 2, fab:golan '73).

Also, Hammerin' Sickles is a terrible pun and you should feel ashamed of yourselves.
I just bought FoF from a german dude on BGG :3:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Congrats!

Now buy a lot of cheap whisky from Tesco to make it past Trevieres and maintain sanity.

(also if you try the Asian campaigns, then whenever you tilt in the middle of mission you'll get a flashback to the Heartbreak Ridge and remember Normandy is a loving tutorial campaign)

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

This is like a real life 50 shades of grey psycho sex poo poo, but at least you get 800+ counters to clip.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Sorry I only pick up good games like The US Civil War

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

I just bought FoF from a german dude on BGG :3:

I'm so sorry :(

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Anyone who told you gog was easy to learn is a madman. Fun, though, once you got the hang of it, not as good as NT.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Yeah, the Simmons games are elegant and have excellent conveyance, they are not simple or easy to learn.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Next War: India Pakistan seems interesting. It also seems to suggest that Russia would send a small force to help India :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

silvergoose posted:

Anyone who told you gog was easy to learn is a madman. Fun, though, once you got the hang of it, not as good as NT.

gently caress NT and gently caress it's stickers

edit:
Grail game horse poo poo gently caress game with the shittiest god drat stickers in the world. You could go to a quarter machine and get a sticker that is more permanent than those pieces of poo poo they give you. A mentally defective 6 month old with Elmer glue blind folded could make a more consistent and useful sticker. Teflon would have been a better idea than the poo poo they used.
gently caress.

4outof5 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 30, 2015