Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

kastein posted:

I've done that on just the rear diff with a stock bottle jack. Get on my level :banjo:

(I was putting new tires on both rear wheels and didn't feel like jacking the car up twice. It's important to put the thing in 4x4 difflock so the parking brake covers the front axle as well.)

I wish I had pictures from the first time I had to replace a transmission. It was a '92 MX-3 and I had 'strategically' rested both ends of it on piles of lumber after jacking it up so that it was high enough to drop it out from the bottom. It was my DD and I had to deliver pizzas with it the next day to pay rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
From my apartment complex parking lot. I'm not really sure what the story is here, I think this dude tried to go off roading or hill hoping in a sentra? Both side mirrors are smashed and theres mud all over the front wheels. It's been like this for weeks and gets driven daily.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Huggable Bear King posted:

From my apartment complex parking lot. I'm not really sure what the story is here, I think this dude tried to go off roading or hill hoping in a sentra? Both side mirrors are smashed and theres mud all over the front wheels. It's been like this for weeks and gets driven daily.

Being from maryland, he probably ran off the road while texting/filing taxes/sending a fax. I see that all the time around here.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Huggable Bear King posted:

His muffler fell/rusted off and he ghetto rigged a piece of pipe to it altho im not sure why or why he didnt use the factory hangers.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
These were on a 98 Expedition with 40,000 miles on it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The miles not so much the 27 years since rotors changed.. probably bigger issue.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tater_salad posted:

The miles not so much the 27 years since rotors changed.. probably bigger issue.

:raise: that is one ancient-rear end expedition.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

tater_salad posted:

98 was only 7 years ago....

Oh god :negative:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
1998 was 17 years ago. Are we really that bad at math?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FatCow posted:

Haha, I think it flew over your head.

:smith: poo poo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FatCow posted:

Yes I am..

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm pretty sure he meant it more as that time-warp-speed thing that really happens for the first time in your late 20's.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

BlackMK4 posted:

Haha, I think it flew over your head.

:smith: poo poo.

What did? Part of the rotor? :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Driver side engine mount on my 300td. If these fail, like this one and the passenger side mount is in decent shape, like it was the engine can do one of two terrible things. First terrible thing is drop far enough to put the power steering belt into one of the oil cooler lines and likely ruin the engine. Second terrible thing is it can put the fan into the fan shroud and rip off the oil cooler lines... So yea, I got LUCKY here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wasabi the J posted:

98 was only 7 years ago....

Oh god :negative:

Me every few days. :( :hf: :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Godholio posted:

Me every few days. :( :hf: :(

I'm 28 and this is happening more and more. Does it ever stop?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm well into my 50s now. No it doesn't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Geirskogul posted:

It just gets worse. I'm 36 and every day I can't believe I've been a homeowner for 7 years, longer than any other place I've lived since college.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
When I was working on my moms 2003 5 series the other day I caught myself thinking "this car is pretty new, what could possibly be wrong with it?"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
My dad scored an early retirement from the military (normal eligibility would be at age 38) thanks to the budget cuts of the 90s. Yesterday I realized I'm a year shy of his age when he got out. I'm nowhere near retiring from anything.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Today, my wife and I realized that the high school kids who were the subject of our first "I feel old" moment are in their 40s now ... and then felt old in a whole new way.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

joat mon posted:

Today, my wife and I realized that the high school kids who were the subject of our first "I feel old" moment are in their 40s now ... and then felt old in a whole new way.

One of the people I went to High School with just had her second grandchild from her youngest daughter.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

joat mon posted:

And yet you manage to use a computer and post on the internet.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I had my first moment of that a few weeks ago.

Guy was asking me how long I'd been in the field and thought I'd just graduated from high school.
I'm like: "Yeah I graduated 2-3 years ago, back in 2010.....Oh. :smith:"

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

8ender posted:

When I was working on my moms 2003 5 series the other day I caught myself thinking "this car is pretty new, what could possibly be wrong with it?"

Thats like my boss talking about poo poo from the 90's. "Book time says 2 hours whats the problem? "

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Nope, sorry. It just gets worse the older you get.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

something something blinker fluid

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

And yet you manage to use a computer and post on the internet.
That's a good kind of old, comparing my VIC-20 and using a teleprinter and acoustically coupled modem for internet to my ... telephone :asoiaf:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

8ender posted:

God that's like thinking about the fact that my Exploder can not only vote but drink.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

joat mon posted:

That's a good kind of old, comparing my VIC-20 and using a teleprinter and acoustically coupled modem for internet to my ... telephone :asoiaf:

Back in the day my best friend had a private phone line to his room and i was incredibly jealous.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
When I was your age sonny there were only 4.2billion IP addresses.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

FatCow posted:

When I was your age sonny there were only 4.2billion IP addresses.

My senior year in high school was the year they first installed America Online services to the school's main computer lab and library. Most of those PC's were still running Windows 95 at the time but a few of the new ones had the brand new Windows 98, and our typing/word processor lab consisted of nothing but Apple IIe machines with 5-1/4" floppy drives and dot-matrix tractor feed printers that were noisy as hell. Also I had to walk to work in the rain, snow, or shine straight from school until I made enough money to buy my first car, which I finally did right before Christmas break that year. A 1976 Pontiac Grand LeMans; quite a beauty she was...
/
:corsair:

Content:

Discovered in a random GIS for "broken timing chain"

:pwn:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 25, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But Toyota told me that timing chains never need replaced! Salesmen would never lie, they said I could trust them.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I did a blinker fluid flush on a Cobalt today. Couldn't figure out how it filled up with water. Blew it all out with compressed air. Was considering putting it in the dunk tank to check for leaks. That's a little too much dedication when we're only really changing a light bulb though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The CRX had issues with the rear blinker cluster, lovely seals and water would trickle straight into it during a rain.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Veeb0rg posted:

Being from maryland, he probably ran off the road while texting/filing taxes/sending a fax. I see that all the time around here.

Yeah, the peoples republic. Where vehicle inspections are stupid but damnit you better get your emissions tested every two years!

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

0toShifty posted:

I did a blinker fluid flush on a Cobalt today. Couldn't figure out how it filled up with water. Blew it all out with compressed air. Was considering putting it in the dunk tank to check for leaks. That's a little too much dedication when we're only really changing a light bulb though.

Maybe it's a GM thing. The car I saw with fluid in the tails was a Chevy. It's rained like hell here over the past few days so anything that could possibly get filled up with water has.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

xzzy posted:

The CRX had issues with the rear blinker cluster, lovely seals and water would trickle straight into it during a rain.

Audi put a notice in my manual that moisture in the lights is normal and okay. Yeah sure, that's why my taillight isn't working and the harness and connector are trashed. Thanks Germany.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

N is for Nipples posted:

Maybe it's a GM thing. The car I saw with fluid in the tails was a Chevy. It's rained like hell here over the past few days so anything that could possibly get filled up with water has.

Ford also has blinker fluid, saw a new mustang in the parking lot @ work with a 1/2 full blinker fluid container.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

xzzy posted:

On my Integra the water would end up flowing past the tail light seals and completely filling the spare tyre well.

Was even more fun if you happened to park facing downhill during a rain storm - once the tyre well was full water would flow though and soak into the rear seat squabs and eventually pool in the front foot wells (where the ECU was located)