Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah my facebooks have a lot of "NOT MY PRIME MINISTER" comments from folks still in.

They don't take kindly to being reminded that they serve the Canadian people and if they wanted to serve a cult of personality, I'm sure Kim Jong-Un would be happy to have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It's the ones who shove their stumpy fingers in their ears and deny that his last term was horrible for Canada and that he might just be a despot or a bigot that I find really hard to understand. Maybe it's because I've never lived in Alberta

Anyway, the PM isn't my boss, the Clerk of the Privy Council is. My opinion about the government of the day can be anything short of "violent uprising" without being inconsistent with my duties.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 16, 2017

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Barrakketh posted:

I don't think we have to worry about a dude whose last report can be summed up with "Burn it all down" being too close to the establishment. Besides, we had ex Brigadier Gordon O'Connor as MND and everyone taught what a fine idea that was.

Exactly my point. Close doesn't mean friendly.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

acumen posted:

I'm getting those too. Even when I left the regs four years ago they were receiving catastrophic budget cuts. That same year we didn't even have enough .338 ammo to run annual quals on the C14's.

Anyone know if Leslie's got a shot at becoming Minister of National Defense? I'm still hoping he just bips NDHQ.

I left the reg force around the same time and there was a shortage of 105mm rounds, a few planned exercises were cancelled and there wasn't enough 155 howitzers for the recruits, or whatever you want to call post bmq pre-dp1 soldiers, to train on.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I left the reg force around the same time and there was a shortage of 105mm rounds, a few planned exercises were cancelled and there wasn't enough 155 howitzers for the recruits, or whatever you want to call post bmq pre-dp1 soldiers, to train on.

And now the C3s are...questionable, to be polite about it.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

stevobob posted:

There are a lot of 7+ year service guys around me bitter about how much better Canada and the Forces would have been under another Harper term. :geno:

They're just accelerationists. They were hoping Harper would cut the CAF budget even further than he did.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The best part about the falling budget was all the people who said "we're small and under-equipped but we're the best trained Army in the world." :canada:" Had to reconcile recruits who never threw grenades or shot LAWs or Carl Gs.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

The best part about the falling budget was all the people who said "we're small and under-equipped but we're the best trained Army in the world." :canada:" Had to reconcile recruits who never threw grenades or shot LAWs or Carl Gs.

I've always thought that nebulously falling back on "better trained" when faced with equipment, operational or capability shortfalls is just the 21st century equivalent of the Militia myth.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

LCdr. Jebus posted:

I've always thought that nebulously falling back on "better trained" when faced with equipment, operational or capability shortfalls is just the 21st century equivalent of the Militia myth.

It's some sort of barely remembered cultural memory - the post war NATO commitment had us doing missions we were good at and chose to fund and train appropriately. There were 12 RCAF Sabre squadrons in Europe alone providing a not insignificant contribution for about a decade. It was over when the Starfighter was foisted on us in the early 60s (and France kicked out NATO forces), and was completely wrecked by unification. Today? We think a 4-pack of 35 year old jets dropping borrowed bombs is a helluva thing.

The east coast navy was a premier ASW force, and that's basically all they did. The nails went in that coffin when Bonaventure was decommed, IMO, although we were still doing ASW task group concept poo poo (tanker, destroyer, 2x frigates) in the early 2000s. Think I may have sailed in one of the very last ones in '03 or '04. Now the warfare centre is full of lunatics who think a lone CPF is some sort of reasonable anti-air platform.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

compressioncut posted:

Now the warfare centre is full of lunatics who think a lone CPF is some sort of reasonable anti-air platform.

:laffo: have any of them heard of this new thing called Aegis?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Don't think so.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I met Jody Mitic today. He seemed like a good guy. Signed my book.

Also a guy in my Facebook feed unironically referred to himself as a Ronin now that Trudeau is PM.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DrakeriderCa posted:

Also a guy in my Facebook feed unironically referred to himself as a Ronin now that Trudeau is PM.

idgi

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's a feudal Japan thing meaning "samurai with no lord or master". Dude's basically saying Harp-o was his honour-daddy and now that Trudeau's in charge he's a lone warrior.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sounds like sedition to me. Is he a dual citizen?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

flakeloaf posted:

Sounds like sedition to me. Is he a dual citizen?

not as far as I know but he's also out of the CF now so I'm not really sure where he's going with this

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 16, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Harper never gave a gently caress about the military and it drives me crazy that that narrative has been so successful.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DrakeriderCa posted:

not as far as I know but he's also out of the CF now so I'm not really sure where he's going with this

You're a cop aren't you? I'm sure you have some sort of task force to track sovereign citizens that you can report him to.

Frosted Flake posted:

Harper never gave a gently caress about the military and it drives me crazy that that narrative has been so successful.

Harper did give a gently caress about the military, but in a history nerd way, which is why the only things he really did was bring back rank decorations. To make it more olde timey

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Don't forget adding "royal" back into branch names and also the big War of 1812 commemoration, because a bunch of hoopla over some pointless border skirmish 200 years ago was definitely worth spending $30 million on.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Some pointless border skirmish that the "Canadian Military" had basically no role in beyond acting as a colonial militia

but hey pound the war drums etc.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Let's commemorate the time we went to South Africa and helped the Afrikaaners take over. Our National Pride.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

You're a cop aren't you? I'm sure you have some sort of task force to track sovereign citizens that you can report him to

Sure. He could actually report himself. :smith:

Thankfully he's at least in a different agency than me

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Harper did give a gently caress about the military, but in a history nerd way, which is why the only things he really did was bring back rank decorations. To make it more olde timey

Thanks to Harper, I have a different rank name for a while before I'm back to mundane rank names.

Also, a propeller on my slip-ons when I'm qualified :cool:

Aviator is a stupid rank.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Thanks to Harper, I have a different rank name for a while before I'm back to mundane rank names.

Also, a propeller on my slip-ons when I'm qualified :cool:

Aviator is a stupid rank.

The propeller looks like a little bowtie. You're not an aviator, just a fancy private

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Was Airman too sexist for today's CAF?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Was Airman too sexist for today's CAF?

Ding.

Seaman still okay.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Well yeah Seaman is always alright for the navy.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
Should've went with Airperson. I would have loved to call someone that.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't even know it was aviator. I just guessed. Good thing I know now, just did my interview and medical for EGS. Everything's looking good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Are females "Aviatrix"?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Don't kid yourself, if the Navy had lost its rank titles in unification and only recently got them back it would absolutely be Ordinary/Able/Leading/Master Sailor instead of Seaman.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

LCdr. Jebus posted:

Don't kid yourself, if the Navy had lost its rank titles in unification and only recently got them back it would absolutely be Ordinary/Able/Leading/Master Sailor instead of Seaman.

Sailor sounds way better than Seaman by all accounts. Better alternative is just to disband the Navy imo

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Melian Dialogue posted:

Sailor sounds way better than Seaman by all accounts. Better alternative is just to disband the Navy imo

Naw. Seaman is way better than Sailor. If only that I wouldn't want to deprive the other branches of the wealth of single entendre opportunities.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

LCdr. Jebus posted:

Naw. Seaman is way better than Sailor. If only that I wouldn't want to deprive the other branches of the wealth of single entendre opportunities.

With sailor you can always do the "hello thailor" joke.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...xual-misconduct

So uh apparently dudes in the CF are laughing in the face of Op Honour. Wow this is no laughing matters guys. No really we're a loving disgrace, but at the same time the idea of legislating a change in culture from the top down is absurd. Maybe in 50 years when everyone in the CF is loving dead we'll get a military that isn't super into rape and hating on the gays, until then we ought to keep electing Trudeaus so as to stay out of any engagements where our revolting personnel may come into contact with a human being in possession of dignity.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 2, 2022

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah but those guys were too busy shooting at each other in Afghanistan to really get the big picture there, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

All RCAF ranks should be birds. Chickadee, (Master) Sparrow, Nightingale, (Master/Chief) Vulture.

I guess officers can be condors, falcons, eagles, stuff like that.