Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I had a buddy that got his E6 after 4 years, which I didn't even know was possible. We both arrived at the unit as fresh PFCs and like half a year after I got out he was already going to the E6 board. He was sniper section leader though so he basically just got really loving lucky that they had a spot that needed to be filled and noone qualified to fill it. We were a perpetually undermanned dismounted RSTA company though so our sections were pretty much like 6 dudes, there was one point where we were seriously hurting for NCOs that they promoted pretty much anyone.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Justin Tyme posted:

I had a buddy that got his E6 after 4 years, which I didn't even know was possible. We both arrived at the unit as fresh PFCs and like half a year after I got out he was already going to the E6 board. He was sniper section leader though so he basically just got really loving lucky that they had a spot that needed to be filled and noone qualified to fill it. We were a perpetually undermanned dismounted RSTA company though so our sections were pretty much like 6 dudes, there was one point where we were seriously hurting for NCOs that they promoted pretty much anyone.

Sniper section leader isn't that difficult of a position to get. You know how you get it? Try out for the scout platoon and don't get PCS'd.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Meanwhile my points as a 35T were 798 for so many years straight that I eventually just gave up looking and started working on certifications for when I got out. If you were E5 or higher in my MOS it was because you got rank obscenely fast in some other MOS and transferred in for the clearance THEN ditched the army like a pair of dirty underwear while making absolutely god drat certain anybody who enlisted straight into the MOS never had a hope in hell of ever being promoted.

It was really loving awesome having an E6 transfer into my very technical MOS from whatever the gently caress job he had before that left him completely incapable of explaining the difference between AC and DC current then trying to flex his leadership cock by telling us how to do our job.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Cole posted:

Sniper section leader isn't that difficult of a position to get. You know how you get it? Try out for the scout platoon and don't get PCS'd.

I didn't mean it as he got lucky to get the job, but that the promotion structure of that section ramrodded him to E6 when he otherwise would have had at least another year/year and a half. They don't even have tryouts, they just pick people randomly :v:

One time they sent a dude to the board as a joke (an E4 who was NOT ready to be an NCO at all, mentally or emotionally), like literally just did it to gently caress with him, and he passed. Nobody knew what to do with him. Sniper section was weird. My unit seemed to just make poo poo up as it went along, people were getting promoted way way too loving fast and I don't know how some dudes were getting around the TIG/TIS requirements.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 25, 2015

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yeah, 46 R was 798 for years and just started to drop t get some 6's in. Thy have a high rate of people getting out, and I wonder why.

I'm doing the "write a portfolio of your experiences and get college credit," thing and I'm pretty much looking at 60-80 credits if they accept them all.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
You can get waivers for anything if there are people in your chain of command that give a gently caress. I got E6 before I hit my five year mark, but that was because I was recalled off the IRR and the unit I deployed with hooked up all the recall guys with promotions. fygm smdftb

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
"hooked up" with a shiny banana stickerrocker for getting recalled :lol:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Is there any particular reason TRADOC is all about making you wear a FLC with the IOTV instead of just attaching poo poo to the IOTV itself? Only thing I can come up with is so you can wear the FLC with all the attachments when you're not wearing the IOTV.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Is there any particular reason TRADOC is all about making you wear a FLC with the IOTV instead of just attaching poo poo to the IOTV itself? Only thing I can come up with is so you can wear the FLC with all the attachments when you're not wearing the IOTV.

Part of it is dumb uniform rules, the other part is practicality for tankers. Depending on your pouch setup being able to take off your FLC and just wear the armor can make it much easier to get through the hatches. Plus it's just more comfortable to not wear that stuff inside the turret.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
There we go, tankers ruining everything again.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
you only need to wear that stuff when you dismount, and death before dismount, therefore you can leave it on your lbv or whatever its called.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

you only need to wear that stuff when you dismount, and death before dismount, therefore you can leave it on your lbv or whatever its called.

look at this lar pussy

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Pfft, Veins you pogue *goes back to sweeping out the helicopter because the loving fuelers went inside it with dirty boots and the CO gets mad when there's footprints in his bird*

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

Pfft, Veins you pogue *goes back to sweeping out the helicopter because the loving fuelers went inside it with dirty boots and the CO gets mad when there's footprints in his bird*

we do it on purpose because we're jelly of your bird

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

This was an interesting read: http://www.gq.com/story/robert-bales-interview-afghanistan-massacre

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
my favorite part of the month: when my squad leader calls me to ramble about absolutely nothing, try to get me to reenlist, ramble some more, try to tell me that if the unit deploys before the end of my eight (in april) they will keep me in, ramble some more

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I hate APFTs. I've taken something like 12 or 13 of them so far, and while I've never even come close to failing one, for some reason I always get anxious about them.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Because if your chain of command hates you enough they can kick you out for it if they really want.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Couldn't wait to get to my actual deployment from hood. Monthly PT tests, biweekly or less "practice" PT tests. poo poo got really loving old really loving fast. First Cav can eat my rear end in a top hat.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Haven't taken a pt test in almost 3 years now because of my legs

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
The 82nd did the sketchiest poo poo for a while where you had to take APFTs for schools at battalion and brigade level and if it was drill, recruiter, or AIT platoon sergeant it was division. Well you had to constantly move up the chain which usually meant people doing APFTs every week for a month. You can only do one record APFT for a 30 day period so what did they do, you pass it was a diagnostic until the last one which was for record and would be used for the school packet, but if you failed at any level it was automatically for record. Oh and after a while they made it that people going to those three schools had to take the division level APFT every month from when they got their orders to their report date.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I guess bliss was doing that poo poo too, and campbell maybe as well, after listening some newer recruiters talk.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
but I have no doubt that the ALL AMEriCAN divisions policy was a 1000 times more gay because 82nd is gay as gently caress in practice and as a concept in 2015

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's been a year since my last APFT, so I can't really complain. They're just dumb. So is the Army. So am I for being in the Army.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
We had to take two while we were in Iraq, lol.

What a treat to take a patrol from out COP to the closest FOB to perform a PT test.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Obstacle2 posted:

We had to take two while we were in Iraq, lol.

What a treat to take a patrol from out COP to the closest FOB to perform a PT test.

I'm always kind of amazed when someone, somewhere decides to lump as many of us together as possible for something that could absolutely wait until we weren't in a place where explosives rain from the sky on a semi-regular basis.

I watched a spur ride happen 3 days into my last Iraq deployment. We had exactly zero scouts. It was even stupider than you're imagining.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Suntan Boy posted:

I watched a spur ride happen 3 days into my last Iraq deployment. We had exactly zero scouts. It was even stupider than you're imagining.

we got our fuckin 18th airborne combat patches 30 days into our deployment

our commander and other nobles had a formation and kept being super excited about we got to wear an airborne tab now

no one except them gave a poo poo and when they made us fall out shouting "Airborne" we all felt like 100% shitbags

i mean come the gently caress out we were national loving guard,

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Thirteen more days of being in the army. My unit is super gay and keeps putting me on CQ. gently caress this place, I'm tempted to come piss all over the place when I have my DD214 in hand

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

BaconAndBullets posted:

The 82nd did the sketchiest poo poo for a while where you had to take APFTs for schools at battalion and brigade level and if it was drill, recruiter, or AIT platoon sergeant it was division. Well you had to constantly move up the chain which usually meant people doing APFTs every week for a month. You can only do one record APFT for a 30 day period so what did they do, you pass it was a diagnostic until the last one which was for record and would be used for the school packet, but if you failed at any level it was automatically for record. Oh and after a while they made it that people going to those three schools had to take the division level APFT every month from when they got their orders to their report date.

It's still like this

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I guess bliss was doing that poo poo too, and campbell maybe as well, after listening some newer recruiters talk.

Bliss was making division run fall outs take a Saturday 0600 APFT at division for a while. Theoretically, I don't know if everyone at risk was kept out, I had a walk profile my last year in.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Between deployment and everything else, I went something like 20 months without taking one.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Pesticide20 posted:

Thirteen more days of being in the army. My unit is super gay and keeps putting me on CQ. gently caress this place, I'm tempted to come piss all over the place when I have my DD214 in hand

A friend of mine was supposed to get out at the end of September.

He is finally getting out today. I asked him what happened and he said "there's no way for me to answer that without getting really, really pissed off."

You're not out til you're out.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Cole posted:

You're not out til you're out.

QFT

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Pesticide20 posted:

Felt the same way when I was done. But I just signed the gently caress out, jumped in the uhaul and got the gently caress outta there. Haven't looked back.

It's amazing how quick your perception will change once your done. Once I saw Ft. Bliss in the rearview, I felt so much better.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

There's a better than average chance that I'll be working on a project to reduce the number of nonparticipants in the Reserves. Since most of you have experience and aren't retarded, I'd love to hear your ideas on how we could do a better job of a) keeping people from just not showing up and b) if they aren't gonna come back, how we can get them out of the Army faster, either through separating them or transferring them to the IRR.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Retardog posted:

There's a better than average chance that I'll be working on a project to reduce the number of nonparticipants in the Reserves. Since most of you have experience and aren't retarded, I'd love to hear your ideas on how we could do a better job of a) keeping people from just not showing up and b) if they aren't gonna come back, how we can get them out of the Army faster, either through separating them or transferring them to the IRR.

Biggest thing is prevention: make sure recruiters just aren't dumping recruits on your books without telling you. Then keep tabs on them before/after IET so that they know where and when to show up. Same goes for promotions: the RSCs love promoting people into positions for whatever obscure MOS they held 14 years ago at a unit located at the exact edge of their mileage statement. We also had a lot of success sending out AGRs to people's houses to explain why getting kicked out with an OTH for being a non participant is pretty bad.

Otherwise, make sure you're documenting every drill they miss and every attempt to contact them: keep a copy of the U letters, log all calls and in-person visits, and any responses from the service member. Since retention is a huge issue right now, your MACOM commander isn't going to approve any separation packets unless all of those boxes have been checked. I'd also recommend that you check with the MACOM's SJA to see if there's anything else they're looking for.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

we got our fuckin 18th airborne combat patches 30 days into our deployment

our commander and other nobles had a formation and kept being super excited about we got to wear an airborne tab now

no one except them gave a poo poo and when they made us fall out shouting "Airborne" we all felt like 100% shitbags

i mean come the gently caress out we were national loving guard,

Were you in my unit?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

psydude posted:

Biggest thing is prevention: make sure recruiters just aren't dumping recruits on your books without telling you. Then keep tabs on them before/after IET so that they know where and when to show up. Same goes for promotions: the RSCs love promoting people into positions for whatever obscure MOS they held 14 years ago at a unit located at the exact edge of their mileage statement. We also had a lot of success sending out AGRs to people's houses to explain why getting kicked out with an OTH for being a non participant is pretty bad.

Otherwise, make sure you're documenting every drill they miss and every attempt to contact them: keep a copy of the U letters, log all calls and in-person visits, and any responses from the service member. Since retention is a huge issue right now, your MACOM commander isn't going to approve any separation packets unless all of those boxes have been checked. I'd also recommend that you check with the MACOM's SJA to see if there's anything else they're looking for.

Okay, so how do we translate that into something that works across the entire Army Reserve? Better communication between units and recruiters by having easy access to a list of recruiting stations in their 50 mile radius? A welcome packet that gives new Soldiers an idea of what to expect from their unit and contact information for their first line leaders and unit FTS?

Does the sponsorship program work? Does that 62-R that new Joes walk around with do any good? These are just some questions that have popped into my head. There's a good chance I'll be able to talk directly to the people that program some of our most-used databases, so I'd be happy to see tools what we can create to make UA/HR NCO/Training NCO/etc.'s job easier.

The second paragraph is pretty standard procedure for every unit I've been in. But is that necessarily the right way we should be doing things? One thing I was asked yesterday was, "We make it so easy for Soldiers to sign the dotted line to join. Why can't we make it easier for them to unsign the line if they just don't want to do it anymore? Give em a General discharge and send them on their way."

Edit: For example, one thing I'd like to see as a UA is for RLAS or now CSMM to run a search when a Soldier's address is updated in the system to see if there's a unit within 50 miles of their new address that has a vacancy in their MOS and poo poo out the results in a spreadsheet or pdf or whatever. gently caress, I'll keep going. Have a transfer module built in that would allow you to send a request to the other unit to accept the Soldier. If they click the button to agree, have the new pdf-f's of the 4651 and the 4856 built in so that it would autofill all the admin data, chain of command info, UIC, position #, etc. for both gaining and losing units on the 4651, and load in the admin data on the 4856. Then all that would need done for that packet is filling in the reason for transfer, plan of action, and some signatures.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 27, 2015

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
Make the new soldier show up with his recruiter to at least one drill. This way they know where the unit is, and they can put a face to the person that is calling and checking up on them. Also, if they don't like what they see they can ask for a different MOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

MurderBot posted:

Were you in my unit?

one whore one?

• Locked thread