Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's why Missing Vowels round is put at the end. After 20 minutes of sitting silently through bullshit, you can all yell at the telly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It's like cryptic crosswords, it's quite fun to listen to someone who's good at them explain how they're getting the answers, and working out even one on your own feels like you've accomplished something.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
So is that Catastrophe show any good? I hadn't heard of it but the ads look mildly amusing, even though they're on non-fuckin-stop. As an irish guy with an American gf I feel like maybe it's relatable

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm tempted to give it a go too. The RHLSTP they did together was good.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its loving great, and this is coming from someone who was skeptical too.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Catastrophe was probably the funniest thing I watched last year, and I'm excited as hell that S2 is on in a few days. Might re-watch S1 actually

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Yeah it's great. I like everything Sharon Horgan's done, but was really surprised by how good Rob Delaney is. Supporting cast are brilliant too, especially the Scottish couple and her sociopath brother.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
It Was Alright in the 90s is pretty good. The usual standard clips of The Word and TGI Friday which are always dragged out, but lots of stuff I'd forgotten. Man O Man was hilarious, as was Gazza's pop career, and Davina McCall hosting a game show where people have to take a dump live on air.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

netally posted:

Davina McCall hosting a game show where people have to take a dump live on air.

Good to see she started as she meant to go on

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Al2001 posted:

Yeah it's great. I like everything Sharon Horgan's done, but was really surprised by how good Rob Delaney is. Supporting cast are brilliant too, especially the Scottish couple and her sociopath brother.

The conversation where Sharon described what only children are like, to an only child. I've been there.

Looking forward to the new series.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

netally posted:

It Was Alright in the 90s is pretty good.

The layout of this show is confusing me...

Am I to take it that the show is called "It Was Alright In The" and each episode concentrates on a different decade? C4 seems to say it goes : 70s, 80s, 60s, 90s, 80s (again?) and that this is the 2nd season, and the first was just a two part thing about the 70s?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

I hope they have a real Johnson episode

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

rear end cobra posted:

I'm not sure if I want them to end up happy, miserable, or dead. Any option could work really

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

rear end cobra posted:

The man who plays Johnson did a play here last month. Directed by Johnson, written by Johnson and starring only Johnson.

That's the most Johnson thing imaginable.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Padje posted:

The man who plays Johnson did a play here last month. Directed by Johnson, written by Johnson and starring only Johnson.

Simply amazing. When did the last series air? If it was last year I think I missed it.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Padje posted:

When Johnson appeared in The Leftovers as some sort of apocalyptic Messiah with healing superpowers, it seemed like a natural transition for a businessman of his talents.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

WeAreTheRomans posted:

When Johnson appeared in The Leftovers as some sort of apocalyptic Messiah with healing superpowers, it seemed like a natural transition for a businessman of his talents.

It was so strange seeing him in that.

PS great show that gently caress the haters.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that assumes that Patterson Joseph is playing Johnson in every single one of his roles.

And The Leftovers loving owns, yes, and he is one half of the best scene in the whole of the first season.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

SeanBeansShako posted:

Simply amazing. When did the last series air? If it was last year I think I missed it.

Christmas 2012, so it's been a while.

According to google it's back November 11th 10pm.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Good Pointless today.

Double Triple Lockdown!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

thehustler posted:

It was so strange seeing him in that.

PS great show that gently caress the haters.

Here, here. The second series has been great so far. Not seen the 4th ep, but the first 3 have been excellent.

Johnson is also the rasta guy in In The Name of The Father.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ha, Peep Show airs about 12 episodes every decade. I'm glad this is the last series as there's a good chance I'll have died of old age before the next one.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

EL BROMANCE posted:

The layout of this show is confusing me...

Am I to take it that the show is called "It Was Alright In The" and each episode concentrates on a different decade? C4 seems to say it goes : 70s, 80s, 60s, 90s, 80s (again?) and that this is the 2nd season, and the first was just a two part thing about the 70s?

Eh not a clue. Some shows seemed to focus on certain aspects of the decade such as sex or racism. Others are just 'stick some cheap old clips together and get millenials to act shocked at them.'

I did forget how much nudity was on TV during the lad and ladette era though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha, Peep Show airs about 12 episodes every decade. I'm glad this is the last series as there's a good chance I'll have died of old age before the next one.

Oh god it has been a while. Well, happy they'll get around to finishing it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I got a question on Only Connect from the first clue!
It was the Ayn Rand one :eng99:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mickolution posted:

Here, here. The second series has been great so far. Not seen the 4th ep, but the first 3 have been excellent.

HOLY poo poo

"Giuseppe is dead, man!"

What a scene.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mickolution posted:

I first saw him as De Carabas in Neverwhere! He's still that in my head more than Johnson.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

This new thing on BBC1, Cuffs, is basically Casualty with police.

Which makes it loving hilarious. An ATM got stolen by someone crashing a forklift into the front of a shop and just picked it up.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Which makes it loving hilarious. An ATM got stolen by someone crashing a forklift into the front of a shop and just picked it up.

My missus works on a different cop show, and basically the storywriting seems to be mostly reading mad stories from the news and incorporating them into the larger story. SO I'd say this probably happened somewhere in the UK in the last year.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Moaning of Life is still great. Those crabs pinched the poo poo out of him. The seasick Buddhist Monk was great too. Karl always seems to find the best monks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

That's been done a few times in the last couple of years.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

They're also trying to do the soap elements, but haven't realized it doesn't work when no-one of the characters are likable in any way.

Also, each plot lasts about 10 minutes, which means it feels like every episode would be a series of a better show.

This is getting my Entertaining Garbage Stamp of Approval. Watch it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It's not a comedy? Everything about the trailer screamed tongue in cheek.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

remember London's Burning? The final epsiode revolved around a satellite crashing from orbit into East London. Yeah...

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's not a comedy? Everything about the trailer screamed tongue in cheek.

That's what I thought too! A bit like a British attempt at Brooklyn 99. But no, it is played 100% serious.

Again, I recommend it just because I can't do justice to how weird the entire thing is.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Why the gently caress can't there just be a police drama about police working at their jobs as police. With no home life portrayed on-screen. Like the Bill used to be, back when it was good, before ITV ITV'd it into a soap actor's retirement home.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

WeAreTheRomans posted:

My missus works on a different cop show, and basically the storywriting seems to be mostly reading mad stories from the news and incorporating them into the larger story. SO I'd say this probably happened somewhere in the UK in the last year.

Apparently pretty much all of the crimes are based on things that have happened for real.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Incidentally, what's the craic with Hollyoaks nowadays? It was always mental, but I put it on the other day and there was ; at least 2 gay love triangles, a positive HIV diagnosis, a gay pride parade where an old guy got injected with poison by a masked killer, a car chase, and 3 lads jumped off a bridge to escape from some henchman looking fella.

This all happened in 15 mins and there was a couple of other storylines going on as well. :wtc:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Hollyoaks was always the most batshit of all soaps though. Last time I watched it a family were tied up in a church by some psycho who then blew it up. There's pretty much ALWAYS a serial killer in the town or some edgy storyline like domestic abuse going on.

I hate when you see some cool, gothic advert on channel 4 and think 'oh this show looks awesome', then it turns out to be a loving Hollyoaks trailer.

Do they still do Hollyoaks Later? That was amazingly bad. All the poo poo storylines of the normal show, with extra shots of women in underwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Hollyoaks is the most American British soap. I've made a point of not watching it for years, but it wouldn't surprise me very much if I found out there has been a story involving gems, a haunted mummy or maybe an alien pregnancy.