Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Lorini posted:

Yeah great write up for Dilluvia. I don't mind the huge amount I spent to get it. I'm playing Burano later this afternoon.

Is that the copy you preordered from CSI? I have one on preorder but it's in limbo waiting for another game to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
gently caress my life. I lost my copy of Codenames when I left it at a bar. I really hope it's reprinted at a reasonable price before thanksgiving because I wanted to bring it home to my family.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, what do I get if I type up all the words from the game and distribute them to you guys?

This should not be taken as a promise to do this thing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

burger time posted:

Is that the copy you preordered from CSI? I have one on preorder but it's in limbo waiting for another game to come out.

Nope, Funagain is the only American distributer for Spielworxx games. I got mine from philibertnet.com and paid through the nose for shipping. Funagain should be getting more copies so you may want to put in a preorder there.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Lorini posted:

Nope, Funagain is the only American distributer for Spielworxx games. I got mine from philibertnet.com and paid through the nose for shipping. Funagain should be getting more copies so you may want to put in a preorder there.

Oh, I meant Burano, but thanks for the tip on Dilluvia.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I paid Funagain's ridiculous price for Borano.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

So, what do I get if I type up all the words from the game and distribute them to you guys?

Is kind of a jerk thing to do.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Some Numbers posted:

It doesn't take too long. >_>

I typed them all up myself from my copy into a Google Spreadsheet, and threw some formulas into it to randomly select 25 of them. All took about an hour. Now after pairing with the app I can play with people any time / anywhere I have an internet connection. :awesome:
I won't be sharing it though, as that would be kind of messed up.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Last I read on bgg a cge rep said it should be available again in the U.S. at the end of October. This was a few weeks ago

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Lorini posted:

Pulled the trigger. You're an enabler, Lorini. I love/hate you.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Anybody play the Portal board game? Is it a shameless cash grab? The premise seems interesting, and while I'm not a fan of the whole cake meme, it's still a neat concept.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Anybody play the Portal board game? Is it a shameless cash grab? The premise seems interesting, and while I'm not a fan of the whole cake meme, it's still a neat concept.

I was designed by Valve people, so I doubt it's a cash grab. Now whether it's good, I don't know.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

snuff posted:

Is code names some goon variant of Codenames?

It's the phone posting version.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
To folks with Dilluvia Project, did you get pre-order copies or something? Has it been released to the general public? I've only found one store in Canada that mentions it and it says sold out, but it is in such a way that it seems like maybe they had some pre-orders or someone filed it wrong or I dunno. Is it possible to get this game somewhere?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You can pre-order Dilluvia project at FunAgain games now. I played it at a meetup hosted by a couple that is involved with publicity at Essen.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Impermanent posted:

You can pre-order Dilluvia project at FunAgain games now. I played it at a meetup hosted by a couple that is involved with publicity at Essen.

As a Canadian, I am assuming this would cost me a shitton of money. Or are they the only people in North America who are stocking it?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Got some roll for the galaxy, blood rage, marco polo, between two cities, and mysterium in today.

Productive day!

EBag
May 18, 2006

How well do you guys think Dilluvia Project would scale for 2? BGG says best with 2 and 4. It also has the weight around 3.2 which seems lower than I would expect, does that seem about right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Andarel posted:

Got some roll for the galaxy, blood rage, marco polo, between two cities, and mysterium in today.

Productive day!

What did you think of Blood Rage and Myst?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

As a Canadian, I am assuming this would cost me a shitton of money. Or are they the only people in North America who are stocking it?

AFAIK They are the only North American retailer. And Spielworxx is a small company with small print runs.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

EBag posted:

How well do you guys think Dilluvia Project would scale for 2? BGG says best with 2 and 4. It also has the weight around 3.2 which seems lower than I would expect, does that seem about right?

The game is absolutely going to be more susceptible to a runaway leader issue with only But I honestly can't say how often that's going to happen so no help. There is a lot going on, and you may be able to catch/keep up by trying an alternative strategy. But there is no direct or indirect way that I saw for a player to bash another player.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Vasel likes it, and it actually seemed like a legit game. You basically have a board with a bunch of tiles that keep moving, and any workers or cake that's on a tile that moves gets destroyed. You try to keep your cake on the board and kill off your opponents, with some cards and other pieces that let you manipulate the game state, move things around, etc.

It's been described more like a puzzle game, and apparently it's good as a game itself, theme excluded.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I demo'd Portal at Gencon. It's a neat little puzzler and the most fun comes from running their pieces towards death and not trying to retrieve yours.3

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Big Halloween sale at CSI

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_saleItems.php?p=1&s=5

Highlights seem to be Ghost Stories for $25, Star Wars Armada Core for $50, and Legendary Encounters: Predator for $35.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 26, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Mysterium is legit good. I mean it's sort of on the lighter spectrum but I'd put it a notch or two beyond Dixit. It's got good...I can never keep the thread approved terminology straight but it has good conveyance or whatever, the person playing the ghost has this very abstract deck of imagery to try and steer people towards the right cards and the people playing the mediums, like in Codenames, will frequently surprise you with the associations they come up with, so it really puts across the idea of this disembodied presence bombarding someone with prophetic dreams and getting increasingly agitated if they just aren't getting the point, while the mediums are discussing their visions like "But what does it mean? Consider the symbology of the dancing peppermints..." I'd say there's enough meat on its bones that even people who've played Dixit will find it enjoyable and not just ho hum more of the same.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Is Friedrich good?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yes, but Maria is probably a bit better.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Selecta84 posted:

Is Friedrich good?
Friend of mine reports that Friedrich is pretty unbalanced and random (unbalanced in a 'one faction never wins' way)

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tekopo posted:

Friend of mine reports that Friedrich is pretty unbalanced and random (unbalanced in a 'one faction never wins' way)

Lichtenstein posted:

Yes, but Maria is probably a bit better.

Inner turmoil incomming

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Get both, turmoil solved.

The win rates from the Friedrich tournaments are something like 35% Prussia, 30% Austria, 20% France, 15% Russia. So yeah, it's not super balanced, but it's fun even so.

e: here's the bgg thread https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1230065/statistics-winning-nations-and-roles

kalthir fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 26, 2015

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Thanks. I will get into this when I'm back at home. Can't access BGG from work.

Any first time playing tips for Ottoman Sunset and Hapsburg Eclipse? Got both of them in mail and can't wait to play them.

Bought them as kind of an entry into the State of Siege series for when Dawn of the Zeds 3rd editon arrives.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Mage Knight is amazing. Finally played my first game (was against Volkare, but I had helped friends with the tutorial for about 2/3 of that game and read through the rules). We got some minor rules wrong, but won the game pretty handily due to good luck with Volkare not doing much to hinder us throughout the game.

Now to try the other scenario, and maybe ratchet up the difficulty a bit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I like Maria a lot and it really works as a 3P wargame.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tekopo posted:

I like Maria a lot and it really works as a 3P wargame.

My playgroup atm consits of 4 people (including me). So Friedrich seemed like the better fit.

I have Churchill for a 3P wargame (which I still have to get on the table...) And Nuklear Winter 68 which can be played with 3 and could be a bit more interesting for my group theme wise.

Maybe Maria isn't as difficult as Churchill? So Churchill could be a step up from Maria.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Kemet is cool and I managed to introduce it to 4 new players, knocking down a game from setup to clean up in less than 3 hours. I also won by going full blue :smug:

Someone asked about the expansion, and I had no idea of what it does. Is it just more of the same (more powers, more monsters) or does it add new mechanics?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Prussia is the hardest to play and so usually gets trounced at the beginning, but apparently it does really well on a spergy tournament level. A reverse Khorne, if you will. I never felt an apparent imbalance that would impact funhaving and I certainly never had to do pre-game warnings like I had to with CiTOW's Khorne.

Bitching about randomness is probably how the endgame works: after a set number of turns (iirc something like 2/3 of the game) you initiate a random event at the beginning of each one - if Prussia survives to the end, it wins. Among the events there's a card that just knocks Russia out of the game (if you know your history, that's pretty much the exact kind of bullshit that happened). The French player has a similar deal, but he needs to unveil two of its death events to go. Now, this might sound like a lot of bullshit, but it's a part of acknowledged and planned dynamics: Russia is supposed to be a candle that burns on both sides and if you haven't won by the time event cards enter play, you're supposed to go on a balls-out rampage (this, for example sort of breaks the game of chicken coalition members play of who gets whacked by Friedrich first to burn his god hand).

If Tekopos friend thinks combat system is random, then he just seriously needs to git gud.

Now, for the real differences between the two games (not the usual kind of "one is better for 3 and the other for 4 players" bullshit people who haven't really played them sometimes say):

Friedrich's weaknesses are:
- The French player is frankly kinda insignificant and not that interesting to play as. I think I prefer the game with one person controlling both Russia and France (also somewhat alleviating the player elimination thing). On the other hand, it's a nice fit for a less-involved players pressganged into the game.
- Player elimination is there. It's not very bad - it hits late in the game and there's always some minor faction to control and remain in the game after your main faction gets knocked out. Still, while you remain involved and still have a chance to win, you're a not particularly exciting sideshow.

Maria's weaknesses are:
- It lacks some of the purity of Friedrich. When you see both games it has a strong vibe of "here's Friedrich with some extra crap tacked on". It's not bad per se, because the additions are generally pretty cool, I definitely see this being a matter of taste. It also makes the game a bit more complex.
- Some people dislike game's politics. In Friedrich, the coalition play the semi-coop game of balancing Prussia's aggro between themselves. In Maria, it's 1v1v1 with a bunch of crap to negotiate and cut deals over. This is causing a bunch of guys to whine about possibility of it turning into a prolonged 2v1 (usually Prussia and France ignoring themselves and just trying to race each other to Vienna) which is ultimately undefendable for the defendeer.

Now, math-wise this scenario is a big mistake by Prussia (it harrasses France with a different hand of cards, while France has to split the same hand between defending and advancing in Austria), but even if it is made, there is a built-in solution. Namely, Austria telling in no uncertain terms that if Prussia is continuing with this racing bullshit and not playing as it's supposed to, leaving it with no chance to do poo poo, it's gonna concentrate all its defences against the Old Fritz, allowing the French to just waltz in with little to no resistance.

Some people really dislike this sort of kingmakey metagaming, which is fair. In most situations, where you don't have to teach bad players a lesson, the diplomacy makes for a number of 2v1s that twist and turn and change constantly. Still, blackmailing is as prevalent as offering carrots so if you're peeved by this kind of stuff, that's a strike against the game.

Both games are good and I wouldn't turn down neither of them. Personally I think Maria is better and its factions have more interesting dynamics, but it's really a matter of taste.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 26, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, the main randomness issue i was talking about is Russia getting kicked out of the war. The combat is fine.

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
It's probably been talked about when the kickstarter first launched, but what's SA's opinion on the 7th Continent?

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

That is a p. cool and good overview of the games. I don't really agree with the point on France in Friedrich, but I haven't played that many games.

Selecta84 posted:

Maybe Maria isn't as difficult as Churchill? So Churchill could be a step up from Maria.

I'd put them at about the same level. Both have fairly simple mechanics, but the victory conditions in Maria are more straightforward. Maria is more unforgiving when someone doesn't know what they're doing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

kalthir posted:

I'd put them at about the same level. Both have fairly simple mechanics, but the victory conditions in Maria are more straightforward. Maria is more unforgiving when someone doesn't know what they're doing though.

I see. So I don't really need to get Maria (but I said that about a lot of games in the last months :homebrew:) Churchill should be enough as my 3P wargame then.

Thanks guys.