Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Raluek posted:

Yes, because when I think of Texans, I sure do think of liberals.

Our colours are backwards. Right wingers are blue up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tommychu posted:

Our colours are backwards. Right wingers are blue up here.

Oh, crazy weird. How do you live with your lives like that?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Raluek posted:

Oh, crazy weird. How do you live with your lives like that?

Yours used to be too, until they decided being racist was more important.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MustardFacial posted:

All blue? Jesus Christ Alberta, you really are the Texas of Canada.

To be fair, not quite, but close. We are however officially bipolar. See the Provincial Election results just a few months ago.

Interestingly enough, Trudeau got less of the popular vote than Harper did last election Canada wide.
e: very, very slightly less.

He has no excuse now not to make Canada a place of sunshine, unicorns, legalized weed and hookers. It will be interesting to see his agenda implemented.

Also, $5 Jason Kenny will be the new leader of the Conservatives. I am just glad Harper didn't pull an rear end in a top hat move like Prentice and resign his seat the night he was elected. he's probably saving that for today

I was sure the 2011 election was a total fluke for the NDP, but talk about regression to the mean. Mulcair has got to be gone too but no idea who is left that's got the chops to replace him.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 20, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I can see Mulcair being given a second crack, just because there's no real leadership structure in that party. The biggest problem with the Liberal party was they'd hang the current leader if they didn't get elected and chose a worse one, I can't see anybody getting a better result than he did other than Layton.

The only thing stopping a Kenney leadership coronation would probably be the argument that the conservatives would stand a better chance if they didn't rule from the west and picked somebody east of Alberta.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

I can see Mulcair being given a second crack, just because there's no real leadership structure in that party. The biggest problem with the Liberal party was they'd hang the current leader if they didn't get elected and chose a worse one, I can't see anybody getting a better result than he did other than Layton.

Especially since they lost half a dozen of their best MPs. There really isn't anyone significantly better around anymore.
Which sucks to have to say, because I'm pretty sure they'd have done better with Jack Layton's corpse propped up Weekend at Bernie's style running the party.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tommychu posted:

Especially since they lost half a dozen of their best MPs. There really isn't anyone significantly better around anymore.
Which sucks to have to say, because I'm pretty sure they'd have done better with Jack Layton's corpse propped up Weekend at Bernie's style running the party.

My friends, love is stronger than anger, hope is stronger than fear, and the party is stronger than death

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Phy posted:

My friends, love is stronger than anger, hope is stronger than fear, and the party is stronger than death

Too bad their campaign wasn't.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

1500quidporsche posted:

Too bad their campaign wasn't.

Which is unfortunate. I was rooting for Orange (and my riding went Orange, but its Northern Ontario, we're the forgotten bastard children.)

Still happy with the results.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Tommychu posted:

I would have said Paul Dewar would be a great leader, but he lost his seat by a few %.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1500quidporsche posted:

The only thing stopping a Kenney leadership coronation would probably be the argument that the conservatives would stand a better chance if they didn't rule from the west and picked somebody east of Alberta.

That's a good point and all things being equal I think they would probably prefer an easterner as the next leader but Kenney is not Harper Jr, whether the rest of the electorate believes that or not is something else.

It would be interesting to see if Peter McKay has any interest in coming back to run for leader. He is the one guy that could probably give Kenney serious pause to even consider it.

I am a right leaner, but I briefly considered the NDP, but their economic platform completely lost me. It was just a pipe dream and bizarre in many ways. At least Trudeau came clean being up front about running a deficit to do his wish list. I ended up voting Conservative because I actually liked the old fashioned super hard work of the candidate here and figured Harper was getting punted anyhow.

e: And Mulcairs "plan" to abolish the senate was non-existant.

:canada: How are you going to reform the senate?
:) We're going to abolish it.
:canada: But how are you going to do that without :can: ?
:) We will work with our partners across the country to do it.
:canada: OK, but that will require opening the constitution, you really want to go down that road and everything that will happen with it?
:argh: WE'RE GOING TO DO IT STOP ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW

:mad: NOW AWAITING NETFLIX TAX IMPLEMENTATION :mad:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 20, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I actually grew up in Kenney's riding and my perception from day one was that he's gunning for that job as soon as Harper is done. Although he's been all but absent from that riding as soon as the Conservatives reached majority.

My personal opinion is that he's probably closer to the Alberta "anything to get in power" flavor of conservatives so if he does become leader it'll be interesting to see how that plays out within the party.

McKay would probably be one of the few people that would get me to take another look at the Conservatives.

e: yeah Mulcair's entire campaign was incredibly vague and it was really annoying that after the Alberta NDP ticked every box for me Mulcair just made up poo poo as he went along. The whole balancing the budget while never releasing the numbers was stupid.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 20, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

So, which one of you has the baby-poop gold M4 with the "GG WP" plate?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Spending the night in Medicine Hat again and the hotel has started giving me suites even with my corporate rate because I am here so often. So tonight I've got this really nice king suite with a jetted tub and a fireplace. Why on earth do they choose dark colors in these hotels though? I see what must be jizz stains on every piece of furniture and the floor. Worse than my Vegas or Reno rooms by far. To be fair it's probably their nicest room(s) and default "Honeymoon suite" though.

I know you would never want to take a black light to your hotel room, but I don't even need the black light. :cry:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

El Scotch posted:

So, which one of you has the baby-poop gold M4 with the "GG WP" plate?

Somebody with good taste. Austin Yellow best yellow.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

You guys ready for the three hour lineups at Kal Tire, Can Tire, and the auto desk at costco?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Winter tire panic? What's your forecast? Calling for teens here for the foreseeable future.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Winter tire panic? What's your forecast? Calling for teens here for the foreseeable future.

The forecast is :siren: TIME TO PANIC :siren:

today's weather was oddball as gently caress. like early august weather. dark clouds, bright orange sky, i guess the red deer airport got hosed to death by hail.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 23, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

The forecast is :siren: TIME TO PANIC :siren:

today's weather was oddball as gently caress. like early august weather. dark clouds, bright orange sky, i guess the red deer airport got hosed to death by hail.

ooo...hail sales...

I forgot to put winter tires on last year. :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My old Tacoma got miled out this year so I got a new one in the spring.. which means I have absolutely awful OEM Dunlops on it right now. I think I'll look at getting some Silent Armors on them or something more sooner than later.

Why do OEMs put the worst possible tires on a vehicle from the factory? I understand it mostly down to $$, but it's not like they couldn't get a smoking deal on something marginally better.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

My old Tacoma got miled out this year so I got a new one in the spring.. which means I have absolutely awful OEM Dunlops on it right now. I think I'll look at getting some Silent Armors on them or something more sooner than later.

Why do OEMs put the worst possible tires on a vehicle from the factory? I understand it mostly down to $$, but it's not like they couldn't get a smoking deal on something marginally better.

Yeah, but if they pay $10 per tire, 5 tires per truck, 100,000 trucks. That's 5 million dollars that could be better spent on coke and hookers.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Anyone in Calgary have a truck capable of towing a 35', 12,500 lb 5th wheel? I haven't got my hitch installed yet and I think I found one to buy tomorrow. I can provide delicious beer and money.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nomex posted:

Anyone in Calgary have a truck capable of towing a 35', 12,500 lb 5th wheel? I haven't got my hitch installed yet and I think I found one to buy tomorrow. I can provide delicious beer and money.

Congratulations, you're a homeowner now!

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
It's like a cabin, with wheels! I would probably would be looking at smaller ones, but prices are getting pretty good right now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just finished my lighting project in my garage. I wanted to go LED but said gently caress it because i couldn't find what I wanted.

Got sick of my entire garage being lit by 2 of these beautiful shop lights

So I put in 3 8' T8 lights

Which wasn't quite enough. I would have still wanted to keep those pull-chain POS for the sides/back, so I said screw it, put in 2 more 8' T8s on the sides and a 4' over the work bench.

(don't mind the clutter/junk)

So I now have 2 x 8' on the sides, 1x8' in the middle, and the 4' over the bench.

It is literally almost as bright as being outside in there now, even in the corners. :cool:

15A circuit is still only pulling about 6-7A at max (including the 1/2HP garage door opener) so I'm pretty happy with the result.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 26, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like it. One of these days I'll figure out how to expand the two T8 fixtures the previous owner left me with into something like that. House wiring is intimidating.

The LED fluorescent replacements are getting cheap at Home Depot too, so I'll probably swap out the bulbs before adding new fixtures and see how that changes things.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My experience with lighting is that you can never have enough T8 fixtures in a garage. Once you start adding them you always feel like there could be more.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I like it. One of these days I'll figure out how to expand the two T8 fixtures the previous owner left me with into something like that. House wiring is intimidating.

The LED fluorescent replacements are getting cheap at Home Depot too, so I'll probably swap out the bulbs before adding new fixtures and see how that changes things.
My buddy that did it with me is a 3rd year apprentice electrician which made the wiring and ganging them together seem trivial. Did it all up (and above) code by going all armored cable with proper strains and everything on all the joins. Probably took at 4-5 hours in total over both days, including bullshit time and a case of Stella and cider.

I probably could have done it myself, and I know it's not difficult by any stretch (especially after doing it with him), but having someone that actually knows exactly what to do made it so much easier and I'm not second guessing myself if I'm going to burn the house down or not.

drat happy with the results. Lowes had a good deal on too where if you spend $200 you get 10% off, so all the hardware came to about $400 all in.

e: I really, really like LED lights but the only downside I've seen with them so far is they don't seem to "throw" the light as far as classical styles. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
That looks really good. Lighting is the next thing in my garage after I finish getting some primer on the drywall. The shared wall and ceiling were done previously so it's all faded yellow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks!

A couple of neighbors came by while I was working and asked if I planned on finishing the garage (mud/tape/primer/paint) and be damned if I can think of a good reason to do it. It's all insulated so even at -20 it's still at least +10 in there and (now) lit well, so really it's about as practical as it can ever be. Not sure if the effort of finishing it is worthwhile to me other than aesthetics :shrug:

But now that I'm seeing what it's like in there I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier. I probably won't even need the trouble/work lights unless I am right under a car. It used to be working on them even topside, even on the biek, I needed a work light to be comfortable most of the time.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 26, 2015

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I'm not mudding just priming so it's all white and more easily cleaned that just straight drywall. A guy at work had a good idea that involved putting 1x4s painted in your colour of choice over the seams. May or may not work depending on how the seams are.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That makes sense, that drywall paper isn't exactly easy to clean if it gets wet but I can't say I ever really thought about it.

What's the rationale about covering the seams with 1x4s? What kind of fluids do you have spurting over the walls of your garage?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Someone did the walls of my garage in 7/8 OSB and I'm pretty happy with it. It takes screws nicely if you need to hang something.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

That makes sense, that drywall paper isn't exactly easy to clean if it gets wet but I can't say I ever really thought about it.

What's the rationale about covering the seams with 1x4s? What kind of fluids do you have spurting over the walls of your garage?

Haha you never know when things could get sporty! I was thinking not just fluids but scuffs. And spider pig tracks. I mean who walks on the good side

The 1x4s are just to cover the seams but the look wouldnt be for everyone.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I put five 4' double T8 fixtures in my garage this year and it was amazing. I drywalled, mudded and taped and then painted the garage in a light grey that still reflects quite a bit of light and with those fixtures, it's awesome. I'll still put in another 4' fixture above my workbench once it's installed, and I still have my trouble light for working under the cars, but like slidebite said I hardly need them now.

Before I did the lights, I used a light metering app on my iphone to test the amount of light hitting the floor between the cars at the front bumper. Going from two bare bulbs to the five fixtures resulted in a 10x increase in lux.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I also just finished insulating and drywalling my garage. Since I used to be a sparky I loving hate drywall so i hired on a guy @ 25/hr to help. He did all the measuring and cuts. I don't have an attic vent. Need to install one still, and I have my junction boxes but no lights wired in yet. I'll likely do LED's also.

Anyone know what I'm going to need to keep it heated in there to +4 or so ? It's 18x24' with 8' ceiling. R12 insulation and poly, 1/2" drywall. Detached structure.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
What's the deal with sellers on Kijiji holding out on buyers who actually have cash in favour of people who don't have cash and might not even have cash but they say they'll get cash later, pinky swear cross my heart and hope to die?

There's a guy selling an '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp-G, all black, that's been listed at $5500+ for the last two months. It's got problems and there's no way he's gonna get that much, but then he suddenly dropped the price to $3k a couple days ago. Oh poo poo. That's a price I can gently caress with.

I sent him a message yesterday (saturday): "Hey, I can be in Calgary tomorrow (sunday) at noon with cash, if I like what I see the cash is yours," to which today he replies "Somebody else has dibs on it so I think it's sold. They say they won't have the cash for me until Tuesday though. I'll know by tomorrow (monday) and let you know." You think it's sold? You THINK it's sold? What the gently caress does that mean? You don't have any money and you still have the car. It's not sold.

So I tried to reason with him: "Unfortunately my window of opportunity to literally throw money at you ends monday. Did I mention I have cash? And that I'll bring it with me? And that you can literally murder me on a test drive, keep the cash, and keep the car? I can be there monday at noon, no waiting around, no bullshit, if I like what I see, deal done. Think about it, if you change your mind about waiting for the money to magically appear from the other guy whose exact words must have been 'I'm sorry, I don't have any money right now, just wait a few more days, I promise,' in order for him not to take it home with him right then and there, then please, just say the word and I'll see you tomorrow at noon."

That's all paraphrased. I tried to sugarcoat it and not come off as a greasy rear end in a top hat but I think I failed because that was a couple hours ago and I haven't heard back from him since.

Who in their right mind sells on Kijiji but isn't willing to entertain the idea of "first with cash gets it"?

It was the exact same thing with the current Grand Prix I own. I drove up to Calgary to check out two Grand Prixs, first one was a write-off that got fixed up by an unlicensed mechanic and the guy didn't bother to tell me about ANY of this until we're going 120 down a back road to test the supercharger and suddenly the ABS and traction control fails and warning sirens literally start going off all around me, :siren: NOPE SORRY MAN KEEP THE CAR BYE :siren:... But the second GP looks and feels right, I want it. I'm willing to buy it right then and there but he says "Sorry, someone came to look at it earlier and they're still deciding, preference goes to them because they were here first." What the gently caress man? So I drive two hours back home and wait three days before the seller tells me that the guy he thought was going to buy it is lowballing the gently caress out of him and that he's willing to sell to me now at the price I offered him the first time around. COOL, THANKS MAN, I'LL C U TOMORROW, THANKS FOR WASTING MY MOTHERFUCKIN' TIME.

I don't buy cars very often. Is this generally everyone's experience? I mean, I wouldn't really care if I weren't looking for something this specific, but I've got a real hard-on for what I could do with a black GTP with a sunroof. Right before winter. I'm a loving moron. :suicide: but i'm ok with that

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 26, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's a grey area. There is some honour in the dibs system. I look at it this way, if I need to sell something because cash or need space, then first come first serve. If I'm selling something because I'm just bored of it and don't really need the cash, then I'll be the nice guy and try not to waste buyers time.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Ugh I hate grey areas. Would it be improper buyer etiquette to offer him a crisp $100 above the asking price just to get him to question his irrational allegiance to a buyer that he has to wait on? Or would that be dumb as hell? The way I look at it, $3k for a 140km GTP Comp G is really good, even if it does need a new steering rack. There's a GTP Comp G near me for $5k that has a smashed windshield and 230km, no thanks, I'd rather pay for a new steering rack in a lower KM car, so adding $100 to sweeten the pot if it gets me in the driver's seat (assuming no other glaring red flags) is entirely within the realm of reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Handen posted:

Ugh I hate grey areas. Would it be improper buyer etiquette to offer him a crisp $100 above the asking price just to get him to question his irrational allegiance to a buyer that he has to wait on? Or would that be dumb as hell?
No. You're not buying a Ferrari or Pantera here. If you really, really, REALLY want it, offer him full asking price based on a test drive. if he waffles, gently caress em, and 2 weeks from now when he still hasn't sold and it's still on Kijiji it offer him 50% his asking price.