Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We could always go on to cat breeds. How about a tank called the Ragdoll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
The Garfield

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The Roosevelt Bull Moose

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
What about Luchse (Lynx)?
Both a cool feline and also native in Germany (although in small numbers after reintroduction).

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Falukorv posted:

What about Luchse (Lynx)?
Both a cool feline and also native in Germany (although in small numbers after reintroduction).

Already taken, at least twice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Pallas Cat.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Pampas cat.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Pallas Cat.

The name should at least try and impart a sense of grace and power. "Pallas Cat" has neither.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ArchangeI posted:

The name should at least try and impart a sense of grace and power. "Pallas Cat" has neither.

Pallaskatze has both.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Pictured: grace and power.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

They could last decades just using different names for the puma. Panzer, Berglöwe, Kuguar, Rottiger, Hirschetiger, Silberlöwe, Katzeberg, Maler...

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Panzer is "shell", like on a turtle.

Panther is, with much originality, "panther".

Edit : VVV O yeah totally. I was giving the best one word translation I could. The relevant translation to tanks is "armor", but the actual word "armor" is different yada yada blada you can't expect one word translations to be perfect.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 26, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Or more specifically, "armor"

A Panzerkampfwagen is an Armored Fighting Vehicle.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O and happy 600 year anniversary of Agincourt. That's pretty cool.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Edit : VVV O yeah totally. I was giving the best one word translation I could. The relevant translation to tanks is "armor", but the actual word "armor" is different yada yada blada you can't expect one word translations to be perfect.

Huh. All this time I assumed "panzer" had come to mean "armour" because the Germans named an early tank after the panther.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Chamale posted:

They could last decades just using different names for the puma. Panzer, Berglöwe, Kuguar, Rottiger, Hirschetiger, Silberlöwe, Katzeberg, Maler...

What's german for catamount.

e: katzeberg be closest, maybe?

e2:

Chamale posted:

Huh. All this time I assumed "panzer" had come to mean "armour" because the Germans named an early tank after the panther.

If you read it really effeminately and with a lisp it kinda sounds like panther.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 26, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So, binging on Zaloga's T-64, T-72 and T-80 books really shows off that Cold War Soviet tank procurement was kinda hosed. Be warned, I am phone posting here.

First you have the 64 that initially had the kind of reliability problems that one would expect from Ferdinand Porsche that were not fixed for some time. These problems gave an opening for Uralvagonzavod to propose a simplified and cheaper model that became the 72. Later, because of a head - honcho's massive boner for turbine engines, the 80 was ordered into production.

So what resulted was 3 very similar tanks that were only substantially different in regards to their engines, drive trains and suspensions. However what this meant was that now you have 3 different logistical chains of spare parts which is terrible for sustainability.

Adding to these problems, the development and manufacturing of the tanks was spread out all over the drat place. Kharkov, Leningrad, Omsk and Uralvagonzavod. Which of course all had close link to thier local party bosses who did their damndest to pork barrel for thier local factory, stats be dammed.

For the 80, concerns about it's massive fuel requirements combined with the later evolution of the 64's 5TDF engine (and the usual personality conflict dickwaving) resulted in the Kharkov plant producing T-80's with a diesel engine instead of the gas turbine. They wanted to call it the T-84 (and later did after soviet collapse) to invoke the T-34/44/54/64 lineage but the establishment didn't want to make it known that they actually producing 4 different tanks that had similar combat worth, but different engines. So it got called the T-80UD instead.

Oh and that fancy new turret the T-80U got? Originally intended for a T-64 upgrade project. Which actually reminds me of another issue, the first 80's had a worse turret and armament than the concurrent 64B because the development of the 80 was based on the outdated 64A. For whatever reason a few hundred of these "pre production" 80s were produced despite being an overall step back compaed to the 64B. Only later once the 80B (which basically took the guts of the 64B turret and put them into a new 80 turret) came into production did the 80 line get up to standard.

Also, while this shitshow was going on, the boys and girls at UVZ were quietly putting the 72B into production which had the same armament, but a better armored and designed turret. It also cost significantly less than the 80 because it didn't use the turbine of the 80. For reference, the 72 engine cost 10kRUB, while the 80 engine cost an astounding 100kRUB.

I think when I get some time later I'll put together a real effort post on the subject. :ussr:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

What's german for catamount.

e: katzeberg be closest, maybe?

e2:

If you read it really effeminately and with a lisp it kinda sounds like panther.

"Z" makes a 'ts' sound in German so not really.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I was reading about the acid attacks against women, and after my rage subsided I started wondering if stuff like that was ever used in war, specifically pre-firearms. Like, did anyone think of splashing an opponent in the face with lye right before engaging them with sword or axe?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Animal posted:

I was reading about the acid attacks against women, and after my rage subsided I started wondering if stuff like that was ever used in war, specifically pre-firearms. Like, did anyone think of splashing an opponent in the face with lye right before engaging them with sword or axe?

Lye or acid would take a lot of preparation and would be expensive. Hot water was commonly poured on besiegers from castle walls, as would hot sand and rarely hot oil (since it was also rare and expensive).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Haus Kat

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Xerxes17 posted:

Also, while this shitshow was going on, the boys and girls at UVZ were quietly putting the 72B into production which had the same armament, but a better armored and designed turret. It also cost significantly less than the 80 because it didn't use the turbine of the 80. For reference, the 72 engine cost 10kRUB, while the 80 engine cost an astounding 100kRUB.

I think when I get some time later I'll put together a real effort post on the subject. :ussr:

I guess there's a reason why T-80s are relatively rare, at least in fiction.

OK, Afghanistan book fun 2, more memories of Lithuanian infantry dudes.
*They loved selling scrap to the Afghans. So much so that they would ride a tank over a BMD to sell the aluminum - of course, all the radios and fun stuff had already been stripped by that point. They sell it, make a hefty wad of cash, and the USSR gets to make and an another BMD.
*Drivers drive while halfway out of the hatch, maneuvering levers with their legs, so if/when mines happen, they would get thrown out of the vehicles instead of getting pasted inside.
*war is horrible, until you get used to it, then you get bored sitting at the base and just want to go out and shoot people
*sometimes, your political officer can get into a BMP and start lighting up herds of horses because he's a sadistic prick
*when storming a kishlack you will steal stuff - foods, blankets, everything. Found a ram? Put that sucker in your BMP. Back in the camp, one guy will lover the barrel (I assume he's driving something heavier armed than a BMP-2), you put a rope on it, tie it around the ram, lift it up, slice its throat... Look, a lot of people still come from a rural background, they know how to prepare ram.
*explosive bullets explode chickens, which is bad for eating.
*you might try out how well you emplaced the mortar by dropping a few rounds on sheep
*back in Afghanistan, nobody minds if you go fishing with grenades. You lob in a few, and then the guys downstream collect the catch.
*working as a mechanic is great, because you can steal and sell parts from the warehouse
*one Lithuanian dude on guard duty almost got a medal for apprehending two Russian conscripts stealing a truck wheel at night (Afghans love to put the wheels on their carts). One guy gets shot in the butt and through the lung in an escape attempt.
*sauna, kitchen and medical personnel have many young women among them, which keeps them well supplied with dicks
*soldiers who don't get smokes get a kilo or two of sugar a month. That sugar goes into making vodka. Nobody ever makes vodka, because the soldiers finish the pre-vodka broga. There was even a mechanic who made a vodka plant that never had a complete run, since soldiers come for a "taste test" and finish the whole thing.
*Ammo and guns get thrown into a ditch and dug over when you need to leave Afghanistan (well, when everyone is leaving)
*Mustering out is still a clusterfuck that only ends once you reach a rail station, then it transforms into a drunken train ride
*So, the end of the war is near, offensives aren't happening, you just hold ground in defensive actions. A mechanized company is keeping a spot somewhere. One guy, a transfer from Spesnaz, feels superior to everyone else, walks around without armor, gets hit by sniper, dies later on. They get the order to shoot his flackjacket, to make it look like the regulations were observed. Another guy almost blows himself up while disarming his own grenade booby trap (it blows up, but he survives). Another guy kicks an RPG dud. Turns out, that's all the encouragement the RPG round needed to explode. And a BMP backing up near a wiped out Afghani post gets hit by a mine. The best machine (Russians call vehicles machines at times, and so do we) in the company is totaled, but all the three guys in it survive due to luck and some flying about.
*Food supply is a never ending problem, and one Lithuanian dude gets shot four times in the back while going back from foraging in a kishlak. He survives.
*Everyone hates the Asian recruits, nobody cares about Afghani allies.

That's it for the book, I think.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JcDent posted:

*you might try out how well you emplaced the mortar by dropping a few rounds on sheep

Insert your own MGS5 joke here.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Insert your own MGS5 joke here.

Hey guys what if the Soviets depopulated Afghanistan with a Fulton skyhook onslaught?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Chamale posted:

No, many germanic languages have it for personal armour. In my native Danish it's "Panser" for instance. It used to refer to thick hide or personal mail armour, but has since both kept that meaning and become synonomous with the AFV-pertaining term 'armor".

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Xiahou Dun posted:

O and happy 600 year anniversary of Agincourt. That's pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9VJzKNhp0s

Frostwerks posted:

Ah yes, the "Gay Black Panther" theory.

The Ukranians have, since the collapse of the Soviet Union, come up with a modernized T-84 called the Oplot/Oplat, and then modernized it again into the Oplat M, which is basically an effective modern MBT. The Thai Royal Army also fields them, and Peru and Bangladesh considered them before instead purchasing Chinese MBT-2000s (which, by the way, use an engine designed by the Kharkov boys). All are fielded in small numbers.

JcDent posted:

Turns out, that's all the encouragement the RPG round needed to explode
Kids (and adults who never learned the lesson) in current, former and future warzones: UXO is some dangerous poo poo. It's probably the second most dangerous thing in a warzone, right after the enemy. Don't gently caress around with it if you don't know what you're doing.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 26, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Keldoclock posted:

Kids (and adults who never learned the lesson) in current, former and future warzones: UXO is some dangerous poo poo. It's probably the second most dangerous thing in a warzone, right after the enemy. Don't gently caress around with it if you don't know what you're doing.

A few years ago, a few yokels discovered an unexploded German aerial bomb in my home city. Being yokels, they jumped on it, bashed it with showels, tried to pry off those... metal...things that bombs use to fall accurately. Right in the middle of yard surrounded by living spaces, and next to both a diesel cistern and piles of metal scrap.

Now, since you have yet to hear about a Lithuanian torn in half by world's largest frag grenade, the bomb didn't explode and someone eventually called in the military to defuse it.

The head yokel still wanted to be compensated for his find.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Chav Boy and girl found a WW2 tank round dud here and wanted to turn it into a cool ashtray or something. Tried to saw it open in the bathroom. The torsos were pretty much the only thing that was left of them, the rest had to be scraped from the tiles.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

JcDent posted:

those... metal...things that bombs use to fall accurately

Fins, like on a fish.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The invaders of Serbia begin moving on Nis, as some of the Brits at Salonika start moving to do something useful (for a given value of 'useful'). The Austro-Hungarians on Podgora repel attacks with copious hand grenades, that poor sod from yesterday finds out what FP No. 1 actually means, and it's all jolly hockey-sticks for Lieutenant Bernard Adams, quite literally.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

BalloonFish posted:

But not far-fetched enough for the RN to issue a new boarding pik pattern in 1894: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30108347

I've no idea if they were ever used but I can see a certain logic to still having them in the pre-1914 navy, especially on light cruisers and gunboats engaged in colonial policing - you're not going to be storming aboard an enemy battleship but you may have to board a small civilian ship, while there was also the plausible risk of your ship being attacked while alongside in harbour or upriver. They also apparently had various ceremonial uses, and the RN loved hanging onto as much Nelsonian flim-flam as possible.

That's got to be almost entirely the Victorian navy love of Nelsonian flim-flam because come on even in a gunboat worried about pirates, you'd be far better served with a shotgun than a pike, for deterrence value alone.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Deptfordx posted:

That's got to be almost entirely the Victorian navy love of Nelsonian flim-flam because come on even in a gunboat worried about pirates, you'd be far better served with a shotgun than a pike, for deterrence value alone.

Guns are a bitch to use on a rolling deck, especially on the kind of small vessels that you are doing coast guard or anti-piracy poo poo on. Doubly so in the age where a bolt action rifle or a pump shotgun were the state of the art.

Also, the US issued a m1917 Navy Cutlass. Was it ever used? Who knows, but someone thought it was something that should be bought and the US didn't have the raging Nelson hardon that the RN did.

edit: the US cutlass was based on a Dutch weapon from the late 1890s. It's not just a brit thing.

edit x2: the last time the Brits used a cutlass in a boarding operation was the 1940 Altmark incident. Dudes chose to grab a sword over a pistol or whatever and I doubt it was due to them all wanting to engage in some pirate funtime.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 26, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Pointy things are actually a very good psychological deterrent and a pike can also be used as a physical barrier.

Keep in mind that the RN was also in the business of dispatching avisos to show the flag and impress upon the natives the Superiority of the Crown. Pikes are useful for that purpose - keep the natives off the dock, etc. Also people are much less likely to try to climb up the sides of the boat if you poke them in the top of the head with a sharp stick.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

JaucheCharly posted:

Chav Boy and girl found a WW2 tank round dud here and wanted to turn it into a cool ashtray or something. Tried to saw it open in the bathroom. The torsos were pretty much the only thing that was left of them, the rest had to be scraped from the tiles.

You're Austrian right? Do you remember when/where that happened?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

You're Austrian right? Do you remember when/where that happened?

"Chav" indicates Britain to me.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

JcDent posted:

"Chav" indicates Britain to me.

Ahh yes, the many dud German tank shells left on English soil from Operation Sealion.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pointy things are actually a very good psychological deterrent and a pike can also be used as a physical barrier.

Keep in mind that the RN was also in the business of dispatching avisos to show the flag and impress upon the natives the Superiority of the Crown. Pikes are useful for that purpose - keep the natives off the dock, etc. Also people are much less likely to try to climb up the sides of the boat if you poke them in the top of the head with a sharp stick.

It's also worth mentioning that they even had a Pike in Star Trek.

:haw:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
When camping in certain European Russia, it's a good idea to go over your fire pit with a metal detector. Once we dug up a mortar shell. Sans detonator, thankfully, since my uncle had the bright idea of tossing it into the fire later to burn out the TNT so we had a cool souvenir.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

When camping in certain European Russia, it's a good idea to go over your fire pit with a metal detector. Once we dug up a mortar shell. Sans detonator, thankfully, since my uncle had the bright idea of tossing it into the fire later to burn out the TNT so we had a cool souvenir.

How does anyone living in a former ww2 battlezone make it to adulthood? Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ensign Expendable posted:

:stare: I imagine you had to stand back a bit while waiting for it to burn out?

• Locked thread