Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
What's the best way to set up a raspberry pi to act as a kiosk and simply load a specific browser on boot? Using Raspian Jessie.

I'm not really a linux guy (but I'm learning) and I've tried a few tutorials and I can't seem to make things work. It seems that most tutorials are calling for chromium and all I see is "chromium-browser' has no installation candidate when I try to install.

My current attempt is to edit the /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart file to include different options like this:

code:
# Auto run the browser
@xset s off
@xset -dpms
@xset s noblank
@midori -e Fullscreen -a URL HERE
http://www.raspberry-projects.com/pi/pi-operating-systems/raspbian/gui/auto-run-browser-on-startup

But swapping out the default browser or a minimal kiosk browser I installed for midori.

Is there something I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

beerinator posted:

What's the best way to set up a raspberry pi to act as a kiosk and simply load a specific browser on boot? Using Raspian Jessie.

I'm not really a linux guy (but I'm learning) and I've tried a few tutorials and I can't seem to make things work. It seems that most tutorials are calling for chromium and all I see is "chromium-browser' has no installation candidate when I try to install.

My current attempt is to edit the /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart file to include different options like this:

code:
# Auto run the browser
@xset s off
@xset -dpms
@xset s noblank
http://www.raspberry-projects.com/pi/pi-operating-systems/raspbian/gui/auto-run-browser-on-startup

But swapping out the default browser or a minimal kiosk browser I installed for midori.

Can't help you but I came across this yesterday, might be handy: FullPageOS

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Daztek posted:

Can't help you but I came across this yesterday, might be handy: FullPageOS

Cool. I'm mounting this on the sd card currently and going to give it a shot. Thanks.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

floor is lava posted:

Huh, getting emails requesting I resell my odroid-c1 back to the company so they can resell it. That is a bit silly.

I need this explained.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

beerinator posted:

code:
# Auto run the browser
@xset s off
@xset -dpms
@xset s noblank

To answer my own question. I tried FullPageOS that Daztek suggested, but I couldn't get it to recognize my wifi configuration. I'm sure with enough time I could have figured it out.

But instead, I just fell back off of Raspbian Jessie and instead am using Wheezy which has no problem with chromium.

I used this tutorial and it's working just fine.
http://blogs.wcode.org/2013/09/howto-boot-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-fullscreen-browser-kiosk/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

wit posted:

I need this explained.

I got the same email, it's just the company that distributes them in the US wanting back any unused Odroids presumably to refurbish and sell again. I dunno if maybe the stock is low and there's a long lead time to make new ones so they're trying something creative to fill demand. It's kinda weird.

edit, here's the mail:

quote:

WE WANT YOUR ODROIDS!

Well, technically, your fellow ODROIDians want your ODROIDs, and some of them have asked us to see if some of you are willing to part with the ones that you're not using.

Here's how it works:

1. Collect your unused ODROIDs and make a list of which models and quantities you would like to sell back
2. Send that list to orders@ameridroid.com

We'll add your ODROIDs to our master list and contact you with an offer as we find buyers for your items!

Don't forget to check out our Blog at ameriDroid

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I searched the thread a bit, but didn't find a similar issue-- I also can't find anything online really.

I've installed RetroPie to my 8gb Kingston card, and it boots just fine the first time. Every single time after I expand the filesystem, the thing will boot but emulationstation won't start due to missing files and I get a couple other errors during startup. It seems to hang on 'random nonblocking pool is initialized', but eventually gets past it to just a terminal prompt. I get the Pi logo and it attempts to display some system stats (memory, processor speed, uptime, temp) but all those stats are blank with errors above them.

Is my SD card dying, or what? I'm sure I'm using the right RetroPie image (3.0 for RPi 1) and I'm following the guide exactly.

E: Ah, I think I figured it out. I noticed the SD card was acting weird with an amount of unallocated space, even after expanding the FS. Windows formatter wouldn't really format fully, and the flashing utility didn't care that it was only 4gb instead of 8. Downloaded the kingston format utility and finally I can see the whole card. Reloading the image, but I bet this will do it.

E2: Welp maybe not. Still sticks on the 'random:...' line. Also getting error 'EXT4-fs error bad extra_isize', guess I'll search around for that too.

CloFan fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 24, 2015

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I have a little OLED screen hooked up (SSD1306) and I think it'd be cool to be able to have it be used as a little mini-monitor for command line interaction. The library I have for it is written in C++, is there a way in C++ to essentially read whatever is written in the Linux console? Including each key stroke, as it is typed? Not really sure to begin approaching this. I will try the C++ thread too.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You're in luck!

Using that as a monitor is a solved problem.

https://github.com/notro/fbtft

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CloFan posted:

I searched the thread a bit, but didn't find a similar issue-- I also can't find anything online really.

I've installed RetroPie to my 8gb Kingston card, and it boots just fine the first time. Every single time after I expand the filesystem, the thing will boot but emulationstation won't start due to missing files and I get a couple other errors during startup. It seems to hang on 'random nonblocking pool is initialized', but eventually gets past it to just a terminal prompt. I get the Pi logo and it attempts to display some system stats (memory, processor speed, uptime, temp) but all those stats are blank with errors above them.

Is my SD card dying, or what? I'm sure I'm using the right RetroPie image (3.0 for RPi 1) and I'm following the guide exactly.

E: Ah, I think I figured it out. I noticed the SD card was acting weird with an amount of unallocated space, even after expanding the FS. Windows formatter wouldn't really format fully, and the flashing utility didn't care that it was only 4gb instead of 8. Downloaded the kingston format utility and finally I can see the whole card. Reloading the image, but I bet this will do it.

E2: Welp maybe not. Still sticks on the 'random:...' line. Also getting error 'EXT4-fs error bad extra_isize', guess I'll search around for that too.

Entirely anecdote based and without anything to back it up, I've always regretted buying anything kingston

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

hayden. posted:

I have a little OLED screen hooked up (SSD1306) and I think it'd be cool to be able to have it be used as a little mini-monitor for command line interaction. The library I have for it is written in C++, is there a way in C++ to essentially read whatever is written in the Linux console? Including each key stroke, as it is typed? Not really sure to begin approaching this. I will try the C++ thread too.

You probably want to look at the curses or ncurses library: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NCURSES-Programming-HOWTO/

Another option make a 'game' with SDL and use it to read raw key events: https://www.libsdl.org

Or one last idea, read the /dev/input device directly--this might actually be easiest: http://www.thelinuxdaily.com/2010/05/grab-raw-keyboard-input-from-event-device-node-devinputevent/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Skarsnik posted:

Entirely anecdote based and without anything to back it up, I've always regretted buying anything kingston

Anecdotally: agreed. Purchasing Kingson has always been regrettable, on my experience with 5+ cards. They were some of the cards that were most prone to "rpi burnout syndrone". Insert your own explanation.

Good Sandisk stuff has been the thing that always held up for me. Not the ebay sourced crap, the real stuff. I've had both Toshiba and Kingston from premium retailers (official Newegg or Amazon) that I suspect of being counterfeit.

Currently on a trial run with a Samsung card for my new Parallella, sourced from Amazon.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 24, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah Samsung cards have been bulletproof for me

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

ante posted:

You're in luck!

Using that as a monitor is a solved problem.

https://github.com/notro/fbtft

Awesome, thank you!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Kingston :argh:

Worked just fine with a Samsung microSD I had laying around. Thanks guys

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Toshiba and Sony SD and microSD cards have worked well for me

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Is it easy to make "modern" X-Windows just bring up tvtwm or fvwm or olvwm these days? Or does it pretty much assume that all the world is GNOME?

I ask because a Raspberry Pi Model B+ should be at least two orders of magnitude faster than a SPARCstation 5, but it sure as hell doesn't feel that way. (And another order for the RPi2.!)

I figure at least switching to the same kind of window manager et al I used to use on those will push the responsiveness up.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
If you're running Raspbian on it, and you install from an apt repository, it should be as simple as selecting it on the login screen after booting. Truth be told, I'm not familiar with any of those 3 window managers, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're there. You could also install XFCE if those aren't available, and it should outperform GNOME by leaps and bounds.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

eschaton posted:

Is it easy to make "modern" X-Windows just bring up tvtwm or fvwm or olvwm these days? Or does it pretty much assume that all the world is GNOME?

I ask because a Raspberry Pi Model B+ should be at least two orders of magnitude faster than a SPARCstation 5, but it sure as hell doesn't feel that way. (And another order for the RPi2.!)

I figure at least switching to the same kind of window manager et al I used to use on those will push the responsiveness up.

It's trivially easy to change. You can also still use blackbox or fluxbox or fvwm or e16 or some tiling wm.

I'm not really sure where you're getting the idea that it should be orders of magnitude faster than a SS5, though. Even if you could just compare raw specs, the specs don't warrant that at all.

It's less responsive because everything else running on it has much larger libraries, it has no l2, the storage may be slower (depending on what you're using), the first generation has no hardware fp, etc. Modern software would also slog on any sparcstation, or an ultra60.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

evol262 posted:

It's trivially easy to change. You can also still use blackbox or fluxbox or fvwm or e16 or some tiling wm.

I'm not really sure where you're getting the idea that it should be orders of magnitude faster than a SS5, though. Even if you could just compare raw specs, the specs don't warrant that at all.

It's less responsive because everything else running on it has much larger libraries, it has no l2, the storage may be slower (depending on what you're using), the first generation has no hardware fp, etc. Modern software would also slog on any sparcstation, or an ultra60.

The SS5s that I used were the original 70 MHz models, even a Pi B+ is 10× the clock speed with a processor 10 or so generations newer (and which does have hardware floating point). A Pi B+ also has about 16× the memory at 512MB, and a GPU too. Also the storage should actually be around the same speed: An OK SCSI-1 or -2 drive on the SS5, an SD card that can sustain 10-15MB/sec on the Pi.

I'll see if I can't bring up fvwm at least.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

CashEnsign posted:

Is it possible to make an app for Android that will sned push notifications and play music when a Pi sends it a signal?
I'm way late, but here is now I send notifications to android devices without any apps. You need to know some python and have some patience to get it working.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I'm way late, but here is now I send notifications to android devices without any apps. You need to know some python and have some patience to get it working.

that's amazing, thanks

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
So I decided to do a dist-upgrade to Jessie. Debian/raspbian is well known for being extensively tested so I didn't anticipate any major problems, plus I wanted to use some of the newer package versions and to try systemd for myself. Did not go well.

This is remote headless pi I upgraded over ssh (in tmux of course). Everything seemed to go alright, so rebooted. Didn't come back. When I was next physically at the pi (two weeks later) I plugged in a monitor to see what was up. Systemd was booting into emergency recovery mode. A bit of googling and experimenting revealed that adding a "nofail" option to everything in /etc/fstab got it booting normally. Then had trouble with systemctl and dbus, and unamused to find that I couldn't reboot in this state (couldn't connect to shutdownd). Of course init x commands also now no longer work. Documentation on all of this was difficult to come by. Eventually managed to sort it out.

Figured that was the one 'gotcha', though not impressed that it defaults to a failure state. So I put it all back. Still not working. Only difference was I had now reattached the two USB hard drives in btrfs RAID1 normally connected to this pi. Plugging them in and mounting them after boot works fine. If they are plugged in whilst booting the pi doesn't come up. I presume systemd is again throwing everything out of the pram. I'd run out of time/willpower at this point to plug the monitor in again to see.

I figured a lot of the ill-will towards systemd was nerds being nerds, but this was a very souring first experience.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
For what it's worth the Pi folks don't recommend doing a dist upgrade of Raspbian: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-jessie-is-here/

quote:

This is a major version upgrade – due to the large number of changes to the underlying operating system, we strongly recommend using Jessie from a clean image, so you’ll need to download a new Jessie image from the downloads page on our site. (Some people have had problems extracting the zip files, as the large size of the image file causes zip to use a different format internally. They can be successfully unzipped with 7-Zip on Windows and The Unarchiver on Mac – both are free applications.)

Starting with a clean image is the recommended way to move to Jessie. If you really need to update a Wheezy image, we have tried an unsupported upgrade path which is documented on the forums here. This has been shown to work on a vanilla Wheezy image, but we can’t predict what effect it may have on any packages or data that you have installed, so this is very much at your own risk. Feel free to add your experiences and improvements to the upgrade process to the forum so others can benefit.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Cowboy Mark posted:

So I decided to do a dist-upgrade to Jessie. Debian/raspbian is well known for being extensively tested so I didn't anticipate any major problems, plus I wanted to use some of the newer package versions and to try systemd for myself. Did not go well.

This is remote headless pi I upgraded over ssh (in tmux of course). Everything seemed to go alright, so rebooted. Didn't come back. When I was next physically at the pi (two weeks later) I plugged in a monitor to see what was up. Systemd was booting into emergency recovery mode. A bit of googling and experimenting revealed that adding a "nofail" option to everything in /etc/fstab got it booting normally. Then had trouble with systemctl and dbus, and unamused to find that I couldn't reboot in this state (couldn't connect to shutdownd). Of course init x commands also now no longer work. Documentation on all of this was difficult to come by. Eventually managed to sort it out.

Figured that was the one 'gotcha', though not impressed that it defaults to a failure state. So I put it all back. Still not working. Only difference was I had now reattached the two USB hard drives in btrfs RAID1 normally connected to this pi. Plugging them in and mounting them after boot works fine. If they are plugged in whilst booting the pi doesn't come up. I presume systemd is again throwing every thing out of the pram. I'd run out of time/willpower at this point to plug the monitor ivn again to see.

I figured a lot of the ill-will towards systemd was nerds being nerds, but this was a very souring first experience.

This is probably some odd debian thing (broken out of box). I would guess that mdraid or some other service is trying to come up after btrfs-raid1.mount (or whatever the mountpoint is).

You should go back into the rescue/emergency and "systemctl list-jobs" (or journalctl -b) to see why it failed.

systemd is very well documented, but finding the right thing to look for is different. systemctl isolate foo.target is "init $runlevel".

Now imagine trying to troubleshoot this on sysvinit or upstart.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Quick dumb Pi/Linux user question here. My Pi is set up with the SSH and HTTP/S ports open on my router (to the Pi only) so I can mess around with it from work and (though not yet) use it as a web server. Currently I use it for RetroPie and Minidlna. I came home after a short weekend vacation, loaded up some pictures on it, and noticed that the temp was kinda high for not being used all weekend. So I ran top and saw about 8 sshd processes running. Weird, I thought.

I don't know much about Linux from the command line/administrative end, and in my paranoid mind I was thinking "Some dastardly individual is attacking my network, maybe," and immediately instructed my router to close those ports. The sshd processes vanish. CPU time goes down to normal.

Likely explanations?

e: vvv Interesting. Guess I'll keep the router zipped up tight until I have a use for the Pi as something other than a sitting duck. And increase the complexity of my password also.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 27, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Probably dastardly individuals (really their automated systems) trying to get access to the system through all possible combinations of passwords.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Quick dumb Pi/Linux user question here. My Pi is set up with the SSH and HTTP/S ports open on my router (to the Pi only) so I can mess around with it from work and (though not yet) use it as a web server. Currently I use it for RetroPie and Minidlna. I came home after a short weekend vacation, loaded up some pictures on it, and noticed that the temp was kinda high for not being used all weekend. So I ran top and saw about 8 sshd processes running. Weird, I thought.

I don't know much about Linux from the command line/administrative end, and in my paranoid mind I was thinking "Some dastardly individual is attacking my network, maybe," and immediately instructed my router to close those ports. The sshd processes vanish. CPU time goes down to normal.

Likely explanations?

e: vvv Interesting. Guess I'll keep the router zipped up tight until I have a use for the Pi as something other than a sitting duck. And increase the complexity of my password also.

Get some fail2ban goin' if you want to leave it open to the internets.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Prescription Combs posted:

Get some fail2ban goin' if you want to leave it open to the internets.

Will do. Incidentally, I opened it for about five more minutes and got a Hong Kong IP trying to get in, so there we go.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Changing the port stops a lot of automated scripts just searching for ssh too.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
^^^ Yeah, what he said.^^^

eschaton posted:

Probably dastardly individuals (really their automated systems) trying to get access to the system through all possible combinations of passwords.

You could also try assigning it a different port number.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Turn passwords off and use a key instead. It's so convenient as well as secure.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
I'm looking for a cheap way to set up a VPN server and was looking to use Raspberry Pi to do this. This will be my first exposure to using Pi, so I'm not really sure what I need. I was browsing amazon and found this but was reading the reviews and people were saying how the starter kit is over priced and possibly contains low end parts? Would I be better off picking the parts individually? I plan on using this for when I travel so don't want anything to crap out on me while I'm gone.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

idontcare posted:

I'm looking for a cheap way to set up a VPN server and was looking to use Raspberry Pi to do this. This will be my first exposure to using Pi, so I'm not really sure what I need. I was browsing amazon and found this but was reading the reviews and people were saying how the starter kit is over priced and possibly contains low end parts? Would I be better off picking the parts individually? I plan on using this for when I travel so don't want anything to crap out on me while I'm gone.

That's the one I bought, My only regret is that I didn't buy the breadboard and ribbon cable, but I am doing nifty GPIO things with mine.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

idontcare posted:

You might want to just get a cheapo router and install OpenWRT. The Raspberry Pi is nicely priced for what it is, but you don't really need the flexibility and not coming with a case, SD card, or power supply drives the price up when you want to actually do things if those aren't lying around.

I've seen a couple neat projects centered around this portable battery-powered router. And it's only ~$30.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

idontcare posted:

Recipe:

- Raspberry Pi (1 or 2, 1 is more than enough)
- Blank SD card.
- USB Ethernet adapter, like this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q10UQU/
- OpenWRT for Pi, get it from here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start

Then let the fun begin. There are plenty of guides in the internets about how to set up an OpenWRT VPN server and the corresponding clients. Just google it up. I'm suposing you have the networking knowledge and just lack the Pi experience; if you use OpenWRT that it is a non-issue.

E: Actually, you don't need the additional Ethernet adapter unless you want to build a firewal and/or isolate your VPN accesible machines.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Not sure what you're planning on using it for or what your connection speed is, but be aware that your VPN throughput will be extremely limited on the pi. I wouldn't expect any more than about 5mbit/s on a pi 1. Probably more on a 2.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Real world numbers I've seen for the Pi are about 1 megabit (slightly less than a T1, ok for remote desktop and general command line stuff but not much else), Pi2 will do upwards of 10 megabit

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

idontcare posted:

I really wouldn't recommend a Pi for this. Plan A would be to get a router that can run DD-WRT or OpenWRT. You may be able to flash yours, but YMMV on performance/stability/etc. Buffalo actually provides official DD-WRT support for many of their routers. Their high-end AirStationExtreme AC1750 model is about $100 and their cheapie N300 DD-WRT model is $48. So for less than the Pi (after you finish buying all the crap you'll need) you can have something that works out of the box. Router chipsets will have a lot of hardware acceleration and stuff that the Pi or Pi2 will not, and you won't need extra hardware lying around.

If not I would really suggest a small x86 box instead. Liva miniPCs often run around $80 and include a bunch of stuff you have to buy separately with a Pi. Or, AMD's AM1 platform is a bit more powerful in compute plus you get AES-NI built in (this is a situation where that will make a big difference). Intel doesn't put it in anything below i3 and it's pretty much never on ARM SoCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

idontcare posted:

Well i would as the others have suggested, get a Raspbery Pi, A second Ethernet port and try to get this software working http://forums.untangle.com/hardware/30111-raspberry-untangle.html
http://www.untangle.com/get-untangle/

Untangle, is an enterprise level Firewall that also comes with a built in VPN server including the ability to download the client from the firewall itself.

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 29, 2015