Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

Fly as fast as you can; you won't live to see anything we haven't already visited up close with a probe. If you fly for 35 years maybe you can pass a voyager.

Thanks to the magic of relativity, you can get anywhere in the universe in a few seconds-as-you-experience it once you get close enough to lightspeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
24 states filed suit on Friday to block the EPA's Clean Power Plan.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Space technology has been advancing pretty strongly and this rock is turning into a hideous mess so it's only natural to look at space and say "hey let's go gently caress that up too."

space is mostly dead, empty and/or irradiated though so strip mining asteroids and dumping trash doesn't harm anything

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

This is exactly why poo poo is hopeless. A sizable portion of the population is intent on humanity's self-destruction. They are like cancer cells who want to grow uncontrollably, even if it kills the host.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

space is mostly dead, empty and/or irradiated though so strip mining asteroids and dumping trash doesn't harm anything

We'll find a way to ruin space. I have faith in the human race's capacity for being awful.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

This is exactly why poo poo is hopeless. A sizable portion of the population is intent on humanity's self-destruction. They are like cancer cells who want to grow uncontrollably, even if it kills the host.

Not really. Just because some states are filing suit doesn't meant they'll stop the law. Any plan that can't survive any opposition is a bad plan.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
At this rate we better hope for a economic crisis that makes the great depression seem like picnic and which lasts for several generations. This late in the game it seems to be the only way drive down consumption sufficently rapidly to prevent worldwide ecological collapse.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Baudolino posted:

At this rate we better hope for a economic crisis that makes the great depression seem like picnic and which lasts for several generations. This late in the game it seems to be the only way drive down consumption sufficently rapidly to prevent worldwide ecological collapse.

Yes, more misery will surely making things better!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Trabisnikof posted:

Not really. Just because some states are filing suit doesn't meant they'll stop the law. Any plan that can't survive any opposition is a bad plan.

They may not be able to stop it, but the problem is that they are slowing down progress by forcing the country to defend the obviously correct plan of action.

Literally every climate model we've seen clearly shows that we are already way behind where we need to be in order to not turn the planet to hell. We don't have the luxury of wasting time and resources on frivolous lawsuits or petty obstructionism. Yet that's exactly what we're doing.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Is the plan, in this case, the rule of law? Because I'm willing to throw out that old chestnut to save humanity.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Baudolino posted:

Nah.

Don't get entirely focused on what the government is and isn't doing. I think that's a weakness of the thread, if not in the modern progressive mindset. Most real changes, historically, have come from somewhere else, and people have had to raise a ruckus about it first.

There are a lot of interesting changes on the way, some of which we can anticipate: solar and wind getting cheaper, cloned animal meat as a food source, graphene superconductors, 3D printing, organic waste as a source of biogas, carbon removal technologies, "blue crude," urban farming, kelp seabed farms, etc. There's a lot of room for hope here if you look around a little bit, even if you discount certain long shots like workable fusion, permanent lunar colonies, or asteroid mining (which would solve at least some of the imminent peak-mineral problem).

An economic crisis would just make everything harder. We're already looking at a gradual reinvention of human civilization. There's no reason to tear the whole goddamned thing down first.

enraged_camel posted:

Literally every climate model we've seen clearly shows that we are already way behind where we need to be in order to not turn the planet to hell. We don't have the luxury of wasting time and resources on frivolous lawsuits or petty obstructionism. Yet that's exactly what we're doing.

I have a feeling that's not going to shake down as well as they'd like, especially if Hillary Clinton ends up in the Oval Office. At this point, going against the Clean Power Plan is also putting them up against the U.S. military and intelligence communities. We're probably not that far off from a point where opposing climate change legislation is an effective way to commit political suicide, especially if a Patricia-style hurricane hits someplace in the continental forty-eight.

I suppose this is another good reason to start paying attention to local government, though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Belgian posted:

Yes, more misery will surely making things better!

We make a lot of people kind of unhappy now or we make more people far more miserable later. And face extinction.

But...

enraged_camel posted:

They may not be able to stop it, but the problem is that they are slowing down progress by forcing the country to defend the obviously correct plan of action.

:siren: WE MUST SAVE THE COAL JOBS!!!!!! :siren:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ToxicSlurpee posted:

We make a lot of people kind of unhappy now or we make more people far more miserable later. And face extinction.

I wonder how many ideologies around the world expressed this sentiment.

(I wonder how many would also answer that question with "ours is legitimate, though.")

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Unless they get an extension to the implementation date they actually aren't slowing down anything.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Trabisnikof posted:

Unless they get an extension to the implementation date they actually aren't slowing down anything.

You realize that Congress is full of their obstructionist Tea Party critters who have the ability to bring the entire nation to the brink of bankruptcy if they don't get their way, right?

That lawsuit is only ONE front on which the battle is waged.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Wanderer posted:

I have a feeling that's not going to shake down as well as they'd like, especially if Hillary Clinton ends up in the Oval Office. At this point, going against the Clean Power Plan is also putting them up against the U.S. military and intelligence communities. We're probably not that far off from a point where opposing climate change legislation is an effective way to commit political suicide, especially if a Patricia-style hurricane hits someplace in the continental forty-eight.

Do not fear for the good folks at Stanford University put on their thinking caps and deviced a solution to hurricanes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7uRtxl8j2U

Stanford university posted:

In Katrina's case, an array of 78 000 wind turbines off the coast of New Orleans slowed simulated wind speeds by 130 kilometers per hour and decreased storm surge by up to 71 percent. In Isaac's case, the same array of turbines could have decreased peak wind speeds by up to 92 kph and reduced storm surge by up to 60 percent.

Other simulation runs found that even bigger arrays of 272 000 turbines or even 543 000 turbines—located offshore of Cuba and stretching from Florida to Texas—could have dropped Katrina's wind speeds by 158 kph and reduced storm surge by up to 79 percent.

An array of 112 000 turbines stretching from New York City to Washington D.C. could have slowed Sandy's peak winds by 130 kph and decreased storm surge by up to 21 percent. A larger array of 414 000 turbines along most of the U.S. East Coast could have dropped Sandy's wind speeds by almost 141 kph and decreased storm surge by up to 34 percent.

:v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Except the Tea Party makes it their job to even oppose GOOD plans.

Meanwhile, they rush to save the whip and buggy industry.

Anosmoman posted:

Do not fear for the good folks at Stanford University put on their thinking caps and deviced a solution to hurricanes

This is asinine.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

CommieGIR posted:

This is asinine.

Not really. Actually just this morning I was wondering how much effort it'd take to be able to reign in a hurricane. Now I know

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

(I wonder how many would also answer that question with "ours is legitimate, though.")

The major difference between climate change and other ideologies is that climate change has actual hard scientific data that says "this is highly likely to be very, very bad." It isn't a guarantee that things will be doom and gloom, we're going extinct levels of awful but the consensus is "poo poo is going down, end result will be not pretty." Like the best case scenario is famine in many parts of the world, political instability results, our numbers go down a couple billion, we stabilize from there and adapt to the hot rock.

Meanwhile a small number of us frantically scramble to get space things set up because this, right now, may be our only chance. It's risky as gently caress and they might all just die in the process.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Like the best case scenario is famine in many parts of the world, political instability results, our numbers go down a couple billion, we stabilize from there and adapt to the hot rock.

Actually, this is the part that dips into ideology.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

computer parts posted:

Crises have been invented before, therefore no crisis is ever real?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VitalSigns posted:

Crises have been invented before, therefore no crisis is ever real?

Oh the crisis is real, just that the effects are most likely overhyped. If the effects are overhyped, then the reaction to those potential events can be inappropriate.

Unless you have papers that suggest that at best, humanity will lose 30% of its population (as was alluded to in the previous post I quoted), anyway.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Except the Tea Party makes it their job to even oppose GOOD plans.

Meanwhile, they rush to save the whip and buggy industry.

This is asinine.

Good thing the EPA already has the authority for this plan and the tea party can't do poo poo about it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Trabisnikof posted:

Good thing the EPA already has the authority for this plan and the tea party can't do poo poo about it.

Doesn't mean they can't get an injunction blocking it for the several years it sits in the courts.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Anosmoman posted:

"Let's build a layer of wind turbines and/or solar panels over the whole planet, nothing could possibly go wrong", says Stanford scientist. You don't even need to read the video description to know it's Jacobson again.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 26, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Except in this case "build a better world" means "literally causing an economic collapse" (or as someone suggested upthread, suspending the rule of law).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

Except in this case "build a better world" means "literally causing an economic collapse" (or as someone suggested upthread, suspending the rule of law).

What, massive climate change WON'T do the same thing?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

You probably won't get your Green God-Emperor if that is what you are hoping for.
ISIS is a preview of the future.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CommieGIR posted:

No but you see, we will all be dead by then and it will be a problem for future generations to deal with. Which is fine, we all had challenges growing up so why should they have it easy, right?? Harden the gently caress up, motherfuckers!!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

computer parts posted:

Are you trolling? In a world where advanced economies suffer chronically low demand and stagnating wages, large infrastructure projects will destroy the economy?

Reminder that pollution from fossil fuels kills millions of people every year. Thanks for the concern troll though.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 26, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Arglebargle III posted:

Are you trolling? In a world where advanced economies suffer chronically low demand and stagnating wages, large infrastructure projects will destroy the economy?

Reminder that pollution from fossil fuels kills millions of people every year. Thanks for the concern troll though.

He doesn't strike me as a particularly autistic poster so I assume he was being sarcastic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lawman 0 posted:

You probably won't get your Green God-Emperor if that is what you are hoping for.
ISIS is a preview of the future.

Uhhhh....okay then?

enraged_camel posted:

No but you see, we will all be dead by then and it will be a problem for future generations to deal with. Which is fine, we all had challenges growing up so why should they have it easy, right?? Harden the gently caress up, motherfuckers!!

Baby Boomers 2.0: The Entitlement Train Rolls On.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Baby Boomers 2.0: The Entitlement Train Rolls On.

To be honest entitlement and a refusal to change are some of the biggest issues we're facing now. How many people just can't live without their enormous, inefficient SUV, their plethora of electronic gadgets, and their over-sized house they only actually use a third of? You'll hear "well I earned this so everybody else has to tighten their belts!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To be honest entitlement and a refusal to change are some of the biggest issues we're facing now. How many people just can't live without their enormous, inefficient SUV, their plethora of electronic gadgets, and their over-sized house they only actually use a third of? You'll hear "well I earned this so everybody else has to tighten their belts!"

The INSTANT gas prices dropped this summer, suddenly there was an outbreak of brand new SUVs and Pickups showing up on the highway. :doh:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

The INSTANT gas prices dropped this summer, suddenly there was an outbreak of brand new SUVs and Pickups showing up on the highway. :doh:

Fuel efficiency is for communists and hippies, friend citizen. Buy. Consume. Nothing is ever enough. Waste as much as you can. You earned it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Lamar Smith can't stop being Lamar Smith:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2015/10/26/global_warming_lamar_smith_wants_to_tie_noaa_in_knots.html

quote:

Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, is a flat-out 100 percent global warming denier. He has made that very clear, writing embarrassingly wrong op-eds for the Wall Street Journal and engaging in Orwellian claims about climate science and politics. It’s clear he’s not a huge fan of politically independent science in general; for example he wants to gut peer-review in the National Science Foundation’s choices on what research to fund (instead, only allowing those that are politically approved).

The current crop of GOP Congress members is maniacally fixated on stopping any science that doesn’t march along with their ideology and will do almost anything to stop it.

That’s why I am not at all surprised that Smith—who is the chairman of the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology, mind you—would go on a fishing expedition. He subpoenaed Kathryn Sullivan, the administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, asking for a sweeping amount of information, including all documents and communications from NOAA employees about how they use global temperature datasets, including satellite data, and more.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

There should be intelligence tests for politicians.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

blowfish posted:

There should be intelligence tests for politicians.

But then who will represent the idiotic people in the population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

But then who will represent the idiotic people in the population?

They'll become a vocal minority.

Or a majority.

• Locked thread