Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
http://crossfade.io/#!/qygge91exe
This one works better imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

:golfclap:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Trabisnikof posted:

Or we'll open up 3 new mines in North America (2 for Tesla alone).

there's also a giant vein of it in afghanistan, but I don't think anyone has had much of a chance to mine it yet for obvious reasons

deviler
Feb 20, 2007

Let's take this star craft out of dry dock, shall we?

"Not only will this kill you, it will hurt the whole time you are dying."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

Now you've got me wondering how big a lead-acid battery you'd need to run a smartphone as long as a lithium cell.

Back of the envelope calculation says a 5v 2Ah lead-acid cell would be about 20cm^3, so big but not huge. Lead-acid doesn't miniaturise well though, so it'd probably have to be bigger than that.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
As an aside from battchat, here's an article from the intersection of technology, workplaces, and conversations about animal sacrifice. Hint: rectal overpressure ends badly.
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/family-of-man-who-died-in-prank-alleges-hate-crime/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Back of the envelope calculation says a 5v 2Ah lead-acid cell would be about 20cm^3, so big but not huge. Lead-acid doesn't miniaturise well though, so it'd probably have to be bigger than that.

So, about C cell sized?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
About the size of the phone itself.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

About the size of the phone itself.

5cm x 2cm x 2cm (20 cubic cm) is a pretty small phone.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

flosofl posted:

5cm x 2cm x 2cm (20 cubic cm) is a pretty small phone.

idk I'm pretty glad my phone doesn't have a 2cm thick battery in it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My Samsung Galaxy S4 is 13.5cm x 7cm x 0.8cm for a volume of 75.6 cm3. Actually less than that because the corners are rounded.

So about a third or less of the volume of a typical smartphone.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

My Samsung Galaxy S4 is 13.5cm x 7cm x 0.8cm for a volume of 75.6 cm3. Actually less than that because the corners are rounded.

So about a third or less of the volume of a typical smartphone.

Which is more or less the proportion of the size of the battery in a typical smartphone.

Like I say though, miniaturising lead-acid is a massive pain. Some quick Googling suggests that this is about as small as lead-acid batteries get, and that's almost 7 times the size for half the capacity of my theoretical battery. You get diminishing returns when you get smaller with lead-acid and when you get larger with lithium.

(Mind you at both extremes there are way more considerations than packaging - we don't expect smartphone-size devices to be able to punt out their entire charge in a minute or two, and we don't really care what the massive rack of batteries connected to a UPS weighs)

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

As an aside from battchat, here's an article from the intersection of technology, workplaces, and conversations about animal sacrifice. Hint: rectal overpressure ends badly.
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/family-of-man-who-died-in-prank-alleges-hate-crime/

some say 'prank', others 'torturing someone to death'

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GotLag posted:

Now you've got me wondering how big a lead-acid battery you'd need to run a smartphone as long as a lithium cell.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Getting too old for this poo poo.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Those are gas hornets. Don't disturb them if you want your gas, poster. Also ask a professionnal oil harvester for help with those. DO NOT TRY THE "FORK TRICK" IT DOESN'T WORK.

Those aren't tubes for carrying oil/gasoline, those are electrical cables.

That box is probably about 4' by 4' or so.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Overwined posted:

Not to mention that Lithium demand already far outstrips mining supply and since every-loving-thing is now carrying a Lithium battery that already large gap is due to get exponentially larger real real soon.

Lithium is literally dirt-cheap, it's the cobalt/nickel that're the problem. LiFePo cathodes are an attempt to solve that problem, with a bonus of being less toxic and slightly less prone to spontaneous combustion, but they don't get the charge density of mixed metal cathodes.

e: I amend myself, but it's not a resource we're going to run out of, we're just going to pay a few dollars more because they can't shovel it off the salt flats fast enough.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 24, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Get some febreeze or something!

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
How about being cryogenically frozen to death at work after being locked in a -150C pseudo-science therapy chamber for 10 hours? No jpg, but that's probably for the best...

source

quote:

A salon manager in the US state of Nevada has frozen to death inside a cryogenic chamber, where the temperature plunges below -150C (-238F).

Colleagues of the woman, Chelsea Ake, 24, found her body the next morning after she had spent at least 10 hours inside the chamber, according to local reports.

Rejuvenice, the woman's employer, is a clinic that uses "whole body cryotherapy" to treat muscle soreness and injuries through brief exposure to extremely cold, dry air.

Chelsea Ake, 24, was frozen inside a cryogenic chamber at the Nevada clinic where she worked.

Patients are normally placed inside the chamber for no more than three to six minutes.

Investigators believe Ms Ake suffocated after entering the chamber while in the process of closing the store alone, reports said.

The cause of death was ruled as "operator error", implying that the machine did not malfunction, Nevada news network KSNV reported.

The salon, Rejuvenice, says whole body cryotherapy will reduce inflammation and pain, and accelerate tissue healing.

"I do know that she was alone closing the shop up, and then did go into the machine and apparently did not turn [it] off," Ms Ake's friend, Shae-Lynn Bee, told the network.

"Chelsea's everything to me. She was my best friend, and I'm going to miss her dearly."

The clinic is in the city of Henderson, Nevada, just outside Las Vegas. Ms Bee travelled there from Hawaii to collect her friend's body, KSNV reported.

The salon's owners said they were sad at the loss of their friend, but did not comment further.

There is debate over the extent to which cryotherapy is medically effective, but it is said to work by prompting the brain to rush blood to the core of the body for protection.

When the patient leaves the chamber, that oxygenated blood flows back to the body's extremities, boosting white blood cells.

On its website, Rejuvenice claims the therapy will reduce inflammation and pain, strengthen the immune system, burn up to 800 calories and be "beneficial against depression and anxiety".

The "therapy" should be in this thread too. Any cryogenic system that you can lock yourself into and turn on is not "operator error" if they lock themselves into it and turn it on; it's peak :wtf:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Surely there are easier ways to give you hypothermia.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Burn 800 calories by being cold for a few minutes. :laffo:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The summit of Mt. Everest (excluding windchill) only gets to around -40C/F. :stonk:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have a jpg of her alive face

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

If it wasn't murder, I wonder if it was suicide. Seems like a fairly fast and painless way to go, no?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The coldest temperatures on record for anywhere on the Earth's surface are down in the -70 range (Celsius of course). I have personally experienced as low as -47, for around 15 seconds and wearing shorts (I was younger and foolish-er back then). Several minutes at much colder temperatures would be either intensely painful or you'd be instantly numb. I can't imagine it would do anything actually beneficial health-wise, but warming up again would be quite an experience. Kind of like how it feels good when someone stops beating you.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I have a jpg of her frozen face

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
She'll be fine as long as they keep her frozen until medical science figures out how to unfreeze her body without damaging it.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Uthor posted:

She'll be fine as long as they keep her frozen until medical science figures out how to unfreeze her body without damaging it.

Too late, damage is done. RIP.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Real life Thomas the Tank Engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoSt93IbH6w&t=349s

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Captain Postal posted:

How about being cryogenically frozen to death at work after being locked in a -150C pseudo-science therapy chamber for 10 hours? No jpg, but that's probably for the best...

source

The "therapy" should be in this thread too. Any cryogenic system that you can lock yourself into and turn on is not "operator error" if they lock themselves into it and turn it on; it's peak :wtf:
Note that the article does not contain the word 'lock'. Though the part about suffocation confuses me; more detail would help.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

deviler posted:

"Not only will this kill you, it will hurt the whole time you are dying."

What the hell was this for, edible cluster bombs?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

WarpedNaba posted:

White Phosphor-O's

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WarpedNaba posted:

beef weldington

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Wedemeyer posted:

If it wasn't murder, I wonder if it was suicide. Seems like a fairly fast and painless way to go, no?

No

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A core body temperature of less than 30 C is going to be severe hypothermia, where your skin turns blue and you start to lose higher brain functions until major organ failure. How quickly does body temperature drop in those cryogenic chambers? I can see even 3 to 6 minutes at such cold temperatures bringing you to the brink of permanent damage.

It feels like the equivalent of trying to make yourself tougher by shooting yourself in a non-vital area.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've actually done it before, and it really wasn't particularly cold. You had on insulated shoes, mittens, and a hat, and were instructed to cover your mouth/nose with your hand. Given that you weren't in direct contact with any cold surfaces and there was no humidity/air movement, you were essentially only losing heat via radiation. It was a bit chilly on your skin, but you are in it for such a short time, and still, dry air is scrub-tier conductor that you were really in minimal discomfort. Not worth the 35 euros imo. Unless you managed to lock yourself in, then you get your money's worth.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

A core body temperature of less than 30 C is going to be severe hypothermia, where your skin turns blue and you start to lose higher brain functions until major organ failure. How quickly does body temperature drop in those cryogenic chambers? I can see even 3 to 6 minutes at such cold temperatures bringing you to the brink of permanent damage.

It feels like the equivalent of trying to make yourself tougher by shooting yourself in a non-vital area.

It's dry air so you'd last a lot longer than you would in much higher temperatures with humidity - strange but true fact, the most dangerous temperature for hypothermia is between -4 to +4 centigrade, because there's still enough moisture in the air to make it much more efficient at lowering your core temperature. Of course there's a lot more confounding factors, and you're still going to die if you spend any decent amount of time at -150, but the scenario suggested (that she suffocated rather than froze) is also possible if it's a small chamber (the ones I've seen are like shower-stall sized).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well this looks safe

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's dry air so you'd last a lot longer than you would in much higher temperatures with humidity - strange but true fact, the most dangerous temperature for hypothermia is between -4 to +4 centigrade, because there's still enough moisture in the air to make it much more efficient at lowering your core temperature. Of course there's a lot more confounding factors, and you're still going to die if you spend any decent amount of time at -150, but the scenario suggested (that she suffocated rather than froze) is also possible if it's a small chamber (the ones I've seen are like shower-stall sized).

Removing things from a - 120 laboratory chest freezer with just my hands was cold enough for me, I can't imagine having your whole body in that sort of temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's not bad at all for short periods? :shrug:

• Locked thread