Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

Pretty sure it's 4 accuracy augments and the rest crit that is the current optimal build. Massive crit is better DPS then power or mastery, or combination. All the crit all the time. Source is the forums and someone doing math.

Not quite. It's true that tertiary stats (accuracy, crit, alacrity) are better than power or mastery, but dps want a mix of all three tertiaries. The best build has accuracy as close to 685 as possible and then puts the rest of its enhancements, augments and color crystals into crit and alacrity. The exact ratio of crit to alacrity will vary by specialization and gear level, but 3 to 2 should usually be close enough. I'm also going by the math done by people on the official forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anything that makes leveling faster or easier is fine by me. I can't imagine having more fun because my companion is weaker. The sheer volume of trash mobs in this game is kinda ridiculous. This is the only MMO I've played where I kinda want to see the full storylines of each class, and that should be as painless as possible to do.

Tedium is a kind of pain.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Anything that makes leveling faster or easier is fine by me. I can't imagine having more fun because my companion is weaker. The sheer volume of trash mobs in this game is kinda ridiculous. This is the only MMO I've played where I kinda want to see the full storylines of each class, and that should be as painless as possible to do.

Leveling as a stealth class has always felt way different (read: more fun) than any other class. When I got back to my operative after doing some alt stories, and I could stealth past 90% of trash, and immediately escape from mobs if I got knocked down from my speeder, it felt like coming home.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Leveling as a stealth class has always felt way different (read: more fun) than any other class. When I got back to my operative after doing some alt stories, and I could stealth past 90% of trash, and immediately escape from mobs if I got knocked down from my speeder, it felt like coming home.

Playing a normal class is like this, only with a little tension because you can potentially be caught. Only need to fight the odd group lingering in a doorway, and it you want to harvest stuff.

It helps that most areas have been cleared out by psychopaths just before you get there.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
I don't know about companions one-shotting stuff. I guess that happens at ridiculous amounts of influence maybe? All my companions are below 10k influence. They're pretty strong, and it's very nice to always have a healer, but I still get killed every now and then. It's not like the average chaff enemy was hard before. I had fun with the combat before, and I still do now. If you didn't care for it before, that probably won't change.

sassassin posted:

Playing a normal class is like this, only with a little tension because you can potentially be caught. Only need to fight the odd group lingering in a doorway, and it you want to harvest stuff.

It helps that most areas have been cleared out by psychopaths just before you get there.

One thing I miss about FFXIV was how strict the field of vision from enemies was. If you were careful, you could effectively stealth through groups of enemies by walking behind their backs. I still instinctively do it.

Beeme fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 25, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have a level 44 companion, and while she is a living buzzsaw in damage mode it's not that exaggerated. Also you have to really go out of your way to get any companion beyond level 10 or so.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

KOTFE companion spoilers:

I don't really get some companion stuff. I can place some of the people listed under main companions as decorations (lana, koth, etc) but not others in that list (like T7). Then there's the followers category where I can place some (C2-N2) and not others (Yunn). I'm curious as to what governs who can be placed or not

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think I need to put Batmann to pasture; turns out powertech is kind of boring to play, even by my standards.

Naturally the next step is to level an assassin from 1-65 (I'm sick please help me)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hulk Smash! posted:

KOTFE companion spoilers:

I don't really get some companion stuff. I can place some of the people listed under main companions as decorations (lana, koth, etc) but not others in that list (like T7). Then there's the followers category where I can place some (C2-N2) and not others (Yunn). I'm curious as to what governs who can be placed or not

Most likey whether they are Republic or Imperial, sounds like it gets messed up trying to place a former pub companion as a an Imp.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Can I get an invite to the guild? IGN is Obsik. I asked some people from the /who+TNG search, but got no replies.

Edit: N/M, just got a reply :)

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Crindee posted:

God help me I was thinking about reinstalling this awful nightmare game and leveling a 17th character, but if companions are as OP as they sound I'm not sure I want to bother. I guess it's not like the story was ever that hard, but I'd get bored quick if my companion could one-shot stuff, Treek already made things easy enough. Have they mentioned anything about re-tuning them, or do they have their hands full with unbreaking all the stuff that I'm sure the expansion broke?
Just don't bother updating your gear as often as normally would. It will even out.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That Dr. Lokin quest is impossible. Stacks of 99 of the mats are well over 500k, and you need 800 of them. I'm too space poor :(

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Second Sun posted:

That Dr. Lokin quest is impossible. Stacks of 99 of the mats are well over 500k, and you need 800 of them. I'm too space poor :(

Run around the swamp areas of Yavin and you can collect 800 in an hour or two easy assuming you have a Bioanalysis character.

Dear UI guy,

Please make it so if you double-click a crafting mission it automatically sends the first available companion (going top to bottom) on it or, alternatively, when you send the selected companion on a mission the next companion is auto selected.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Run around the swamp areas of Yavin and you can collect 800 in an hour or two easy assuming you have a Bioanalysis character.

I do not! But I'll make one. Thank you.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dear UI guy,

Please make it so if you double-click a crafting mission it automatically sends the first available companion (going top to bottom) on it or, alternatively, when you send the selected companion on a mission the next companion is auto selected.

Please, please, please add the ability to sort companions in the crafting window by influence. Nothing like scrolling through 15 people to find the one you want.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Medullah posted:

Please, please, please add the ability to sort companions in the crafting window by influence. Nothing like scrolling through 15 people to find the one you want.

Better yet, just let us and then on crafting missions from the Alliance window.

As in, click craft on alliance and it will open the crew skills pane and jump directly to them.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 26, 2015

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Eimi posted:

Most likey whether they are Republic or Imperial, sounds like it gets messed up trying to place a former pub companion as a an Imp.

I'd get that but, as a SW, I have Lt Pierce as a hologram in my SH like he's still not available and the new version, major Pierce is not placeable at all. I think that you're right that there's some bugginess there but I think it's more deep rooted than that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Question: can the Interface Editor window be moved?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just had an idea: Stealth raid. Tanks are assassins. Healers are operatives. DPS are either assassins or operatives.

I wonder how fast you could get a clear like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Question: can the Interface Editor window be moved?

Apparently it can but there's like a really specific small area to grab it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there a good outfit for Big Boss cosplay?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Don't need stealth to do all that (except in flashpoints obviously). Most of my time spent questing is just me running right by a bunch of dudes while getting healed my companion until they break chase.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

Medullah posted:

Fuzz posted:

As in, click craft on alliance and it will open the crew skills pane and jump directly to them.

Noted. I'm actually working on this now :)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a good outfit for Big Boss cosplay?

I use the Zayne Carrick chestpiece and the enforcer something something eyepatch from that one vendor in the cartel room on the fleet (the one you can get rep for from the slot machines on the guild ship).

waffledoodle posted:

Noted. I'm actually working on this now :)

Delightful! Thank you!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I wanted to do a big post summing up FE, but I think in the end what can be easily said is that the story was mostly good, and has some interesting ideas and others that or simply standard Bioware stuff we've seen too many times before. I think what will mark the success or failure ties into the companion system. Mechanically its all solid, though I think ranks should've been lower as it is I don't see how a rank 50 companion isn't insane at everything. But the core thing is mainly that there are too many companions, and for an expansion that focuses on story and companions you are given precious little reason to care about anyone of them. From here I'll talk specifics, but in broad strokes aside from the story companions, why the hell do I care about these random assholes?

Lana, Koth, Senya, and HK-55 are well constructed and you interact a lot with them, getting a feel of who they are and why you'd care about them. They are the co-stars and so it makes sense that you would like them. As well Theron comes back and he had SoR to set up who he is, though you barely interact with him here. It's still more than the other storyline companions. SCORPIO and T7, sadly, are barely there. Why they travel with you, how they feel about you, and how your two characters play off each other isn't developed at all. And in the case of SCORPIO it might've been better for her to show up and not become a companion right away.

With the nonstoryline companions it is even worse. They are only there for an intro, and then no interaction. While it's understandable that they can't turn up in the main story, as there would be too many characters. They still need some kind of reason for you to care, and a handful of companion quests so you can interact with them, you learn about them and their personalities clash with yours, would be great. The sheer number makes this hard, but then it begs the question, why the sheer number?

So I guess I hope they have some plan to give you more interaction with these companions, hopefully in the form of companion quests, don't inundate us with more and more companions, and hopefully limit the grind to max companion power.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

I wanted to do a big post summing up FE, but I think in the end what can be easily said is that the story was mostly good, and has some interesting ideas and others that or simply standard Bioware stuff we've seen too many times before. I think what will mark the success or failure ties into the companion system. Mechanically its all solid, though I think ranks should've been lower as it is I don't see how a rank 50 companion isn't insane at everything. But the core thing is mainly that there are too many companions, and for an expansion that focuses on story and companions you are given precious little reason to care about anyone of them. From here I'll talk specifics, but in broad strokes aside from the story companions, why the hell do I care about these random assholes?

Lana, Koth, Senya, and HK-55 are well constructed and you interact a lot with them, getting a feel of who they are and why you'd care about them. They are the co-stars and so it makes sense that you would like them. As well Theron comes back and he had SoR to set up who he is, though you barely interact with him here. It's still more than the other storyline companions. SCORPIO and T7, sadly, are barely there. Why they travel with you, how they feel about you, and how your two characters play off each other isn't developed at all. And in the case of SCORPIO it might've been better for her to show up and not become a companion right away.

With the nonstoryline companions it is even worse. They are only there for an intro, and then no interaction. While it's understandable that they can't turn up in the main story, as there would be too many characters. They still need some kind of reason for you to care, and a handful of companion quests so you can interact with them, you learn about them and their personalities clash with yours, would be great. The sheer number makes this hard, but then it begs the question, why the sheer number?

So I guess I hope they have some plan to give you more interaction with these companions, hopefully in the form of companion quests, don't inundate us with more and more companions, and hopefully limit the grind to max companion power.

I agree with most of this, and have some additional thoughts of my own:

The biggest problem with Scorpio and T7, I think, is that they don't do anything in the story beyond vaguely described tech stuff. They aren't characters at all unless you're already familiar with them from the Jedi Knight and Imperial Agent, and personally I think both of their roles could and probably should have been filled by Theron.

Scorpio in particular is clearly there to set up something involving the Eternal Fleet, but that plot thread is dropped immediately upon introduction. It's an interesting concept, but you're given no time to think about it because you're immediately whisked away to Asylum because the story still has to cram in finishing Heskal's barely existent subplot, upping the stakes, and making the bad guys a direct threat.

KotFE at present feels like an extended opening planet sort of deal, quickly introducing major plot elements and characters before opening up to let you start exploring and sidequesting. That's not really a good sign, considering we're more than halfway through the KotFE story according to the Bioware website.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

I agree with most of this, and have some additional thoughts of my own:

The biggest problem with Scorpio and T7, I think, is that they don't do anything in the story beyond vaguely described tech stuff. They aren't characters at all unless you're already familiar with them from the Jedi Knight and Imperial Agent, and personally I think both of their roles could and probably should have been filled by Theron.

Scorpio in particular is clearly there to set up something involving the Eternal Fleet, but that plot thread is dropped immediately upon introduction. It's an interesting concept, but you're given no time to think about it because you're immediately whisked away to Asylum because the story still has to cram in finishing Heskal's barely existent subplot, upping the stakes, and making the bad guys a direct threat.

KotFE at present feels like an extended opening planet sort of deal, quickly introducing major plot elements and characters before opening up to let you start exploring and sidequesting. That's not really a good sign, considering we're more than halfway through the KotFE story according to the Bioware website.

I've got this idea that the Gravestone is the ship Valkorion road in on, and maybe the Star Cabal was all a big con orchestrated by him as well. It makes sense given that the Star Cabal was founded at the end of the Great Hyperspace War, which is when Vitiate was supposed to have decamped to the Unknown Regions. I wonder if the Dark Sanctuary is his real body or something. Looks like a big turd with canisters stuck in it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Eimi posted:

But the core thing is mainly that there are too many companions, and for an expansion that focuses on story and companions you are given precious little reason to care about anyone of them. From here I'll talk specifics, but in broad strokes aside from the story companions, why the hell do I care about these random assholes?

I think you're seriously missing the point of all the companions, because there being a ton of companions IS the point. Having a wider range of options is their sole reason for being. Now that all companions are mechanically identical, the only real difference while you're out adventuring is aesthetic, and they recognized that, so they give you a buttload of new aesthetic choices. That's a good thing. A really, really good thing.

Complaining about this is basically like complaining that they added too many cool sets of armor. "How am I supposed to wear all these?" Well, you're not.

In terms of the story, they are exactly random assholes that you don't really know. None of them are supposed to be your BFF. Narratively they're equivalent to any random quest NPC who you talk to once, the only difference being you can take them with you afterwards. They aren't meant to be deeply entwined in your personal story, they're just people you recruit for your army. Functionally they're indistinguishable from each other. You have the option to try to raise their influence so they'll be useful for combat or crafting, but there's no reason you should do that with all of them. Gone are the days of trying to max out every companion for gameplay reasons. You get to chill out now and pick and choose your favorites based pretty much exclusively on how they look. It's a huge improvement.

In case you forgot, they did add several characters with a ton of depth as well. They give you enough "main characters" with real narrative importance that you can safely ignore the rest of them forever if you want to. You don't even have to recruit them if you don't feel like it. But if you always wanted a Selonian companion, now you get one!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Second Sun posted:

You'd be better off waiting a couple of weeks instead. You can't finish that mission until the rakghoul event rolls back around anyway. When it does, you can grind out DNA canisters and other drops by doing the event stuff to hand in instead of bio mats. I did all the turn-ins only using rakghoul drops I'd stored in my bank from previous events.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I think you're seriously missing the point of all the companions, because there being a ton of companions IS the point. Having a wider range of options is their sole reason for being. Now that all companions are mechanically identical, the only real difference while you're out adventuring is aesthetic, and they recognized that, so they give you a buttload of new aesthetic choices. That's a good thing. A really, really good thing.

Well this is a different view than I had at all, so thanks for bringing it up. I guess when I look at a companion or someone I want following me around, I'd rather pick them for story reasons, I like their interactions, they are funny, they are cool, etc. Viewing the choice of the companion them self as dress up is a view I hadn't considered. I guess I view that as more like the Akk dog from the new back, but given its price grinding out Star Fort is a steal. :v: I dunno, I'd still prefer some kind of series of quests where the companions are given character, and frankly half the fun of the idea of gaining a companion from a different class is how they interact with your character after seeing them with a different one. For example Varic in DAI acts very differently with the Inquisitor than Varic in DA2 does with Hawke. I want to see that kind of thing.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I can sympathize with you, because it is kind of a bummer if your favorite companion in terms of dress-up doesn't have a lot of story depth. They kind of make you choose one or the other in most cases. Like I'm a huge fan of the Nautolan companion because they look really cool, and I'm kind of sad that she doesn't have much to say, but at the same time I recognize that if they had to put that much work into every companion, I wouldn't have a new Nautolan friend at all.

I'm still hoping for a male human padawan/apprentice character with some depth, because it continues to be weird that such a character doesn't exist.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Sorry, this has probably been asked 1000 times already, but I've asked in game and asked on reddit and gotten conflicting answers (I also asked here, but it was before the patch dropped):

Do un-subbed accounts get the new increased story quest XP?

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
The new helmet you get during the story for inquisitors reminded me of something so I made this.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Re Fallen Empire companions.

the only companions that are going to matter are the ones in the main group

Lana, Theron, Scorpio, T7, Koth, Senya

Everyone else is just there for cosmetic reasons. If you didn't meet them during the actual story they don't really matter unless you like their look

They (probably) aren't going to expect you to go through all of this post chapter 9 alliance stuf (maybe story star fortress) if you just play the chapters as they come out.

Stop thinking and attempting to do everything Bioware is all but telling you that trying to maxall of your companions would be dumb . It isn't nessecary, just do what you have fun doing. Or get who you want to get..

Getting all of these additional companions is just busy work content to hold you over till chapter 10 drops

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Haerc posted:

Sorry, this has probably been asked 1000 times already, but I've asked in game and asked on reddit and gotten conflicting answers (I also asked here, but it was before the patch dropped):

Do un-subbed accounts get the new increased story quest XP?

Yes, the XP is rebalanced for everyone. It's not a multiplier like before, the base amount on every quest has been changed (and the actual amount changes if you overlevel the quest and are level-synced down to the planet's max level).

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Guys does Riposte/Retaliate have any place in the rotation of a DPS Guardian/Juggernaut? Seems like it never procs. My Juggernaut is tank spec so I rolled my Guardian as DPS, but I feel like I'm doing it wrong. Also is there ever a crushing blow equivalent that procs off of the equivalent of Aegis Strike to become an AoE?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

parasyte posted:

Yes, the XP is rebalanced for everyone. It's not a multiplier like before, the base amount on every quest has been changed (and the actual amount changes if you overlevel the quest and are level-synced down to the planet's max level).

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Chickenwalker posted:

Guys does Riposte/Retaliate have any place in the rotation of a DPS Guardian/Juggernaut? Seems like it never procs. My Juggernaut is tank spec so I rolled my Guardian as DPS, but I feel like I'm doing it wrong. Also is there ever a crushing blow equivalent that procs off of the equivalent of Aegis Strike to become an AoE?

It's definitely part of the Focus rotation since you get a passive that makes concentrated slice proc Riposte.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

I've been going through the Agent story line now that you can effectively level from 1 to 50 via story quests and I gotta say, it's pretty smooth. I mean, I still have to run through 1000 trash mobs and you can see pretty painfully that each class quest was designed to move you from quest hub to the next on whatever planet it's on, but otherwise it's okay.

Also yeah, I don't really give a poo poo if my companion is Jesus. I don't get a wave of satisfaction every time I kill the 100th squad of X troopers by hitting the cover button and smashing suppressive fire over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

I have a level 44 companion, and while she is a living buzzsaw in damage mode it's not that exaggerated. Also you have to really go out of your way to get any companion beyond level 10 or so.

If you start a new character your first companion will be 8 before the end of Coruscant (or the Imperial equivalent).

Conversion from old-style points to new Influence short-changed people.

• Locked thread