Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

dis astranagant posted:

Have you seen New Getter Robo? Because you should see New Getter Robo. And read the manga.

Gaogaigar gets there eventually but it takes quite a while to get around to it.

I saw New and read the manga. Manga was a nice, short read, but I didn't like New Getter Robo that much.

I guess I'll try Neo vs Shin next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I saw New and read the manga. Manga was a nice, short read, but I didn't like New Getter Robo that much.

I guess I'll try Neo vs Shin next.

The manga is the best version of getter by far imo. Even with the non-ending

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a kitten posted:

Stoked for more Macross.

Gonna sing at so many aliens

What... what if the aliens sing at us? :ohdear:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

What... what if the aliens sing at us? :ohdear:

Aliens singing? What nonsense.

:ohdear:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

a kitten posted:

Aliens singing? What nonsense.

:ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WKB1KSMfRo

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

oh god

:lol:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Ever so slowly, Macross II makes its way back to canon.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I watched Macross Plus and it was super cool. Are there any other super short OVAs with mechs? (Aside from Giant Robo and Gundams)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Parallax posted:

I watched Macross Plus and it was super cool. Are there any other super short OVAs with mechs? (Aside from Giant Robo and Gundams)

Gunbuster + Diebuster

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hey, let's not forget about the world's greatest cinematic masterpiece that is Hades Project Zeorymer.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Droyer posted:

Gunbuster + Diebuster

also except that

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Parallax posted:

also except that

I haven't seen it myself, but Dangaioh

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Parallax posted:

Does FLCL count?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does FLCL count?

*looks at own avatar, then looks at the camera*

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Parallax posted:

*looks at own avatar, then looks at the camera*

haha

Anyway, Voices of a Distant Star has a mech, it's only a half hour long.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

a kitten posted:

haha

Anyway, Voices of a Distant Star has a mech, it's only a half hour long.

oh yeah, I've been meaning to watch that. I'll check that and Dangaioh out.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I unironically love Zeorymer. It's less mecha, but Cyber City Ouedo kicks rear end. Mazinkaiser SKL is a fun one too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zeorymer is a ridiculous show but in a way that I find quite enjoyable to watch.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The character animation in Voices of a Distant Star looks like it was made as a test for some adaptation of an early 2000s webcomic

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Voices of a Distant Star isn't very good. The story's simple enough, but the logistics of it make no sense at all. If the girl is eight years forward in time, then he shouldn't get a message for 16 years. Unless the phone is somehow instantaneous, in which case they should just be able to mail each other whenever after 8 years. Also, those are amazing phones either way. The animation is bad, not the CGI, just the characters. The character designs are amateurish, even. The CGI is decent for the time, and directed way better. The backgrounds are the nicest part, and there's pretty much all there is to a lot of scenes, so whatever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Parallax posted:

Orguss 02 is pretty good and you don't need to have seen the original series at all to enjoy it

KO Century Beast Warriors is a fun early 90's parody of a bunch of robot stuff but might be kind of hard to find now

Super Atragon isn't robot mecha but stars a 60's super science submarine instead
e: and an awesome soundtrack by the same guy who did Giant Robo

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 26, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Parallax posted:

Voices of a Distant Star isn't very good. The story's simple enough, but the logistics of it make no sense at all. If the girl is eight years forward in time, then he shouldn't get a message for 16 years. Unless the phone is somehow instantaneous, in which case they should just be able to mail each other whenever after 8 years. Also, those are amazing phones either way. The animation is bad, not the CGI, just the characters. The character designs are amateurish, even. The CGI is decent for the time, and directed way better. The backgrounds are the nicest part, and there's pretty much all there is to a lot of scenes, so whatever.

I think these days it's something to watch more for its historical importance than anything else.

Shinkai animated the entire thing on his home computer, which was completely unheard of back then.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Parallax posted:

They aren't exactly what I'd call good, but I'd recommend taking a look at Cybernetics Guardian, and Demon of Steel for two short but interesting OVA's, also go watch MD Geist, it's an experience everyone needs to have(no matter what else we can all agree that it has amazing music)

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Parallax posted:

amateurish, even.

Literally.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've seen cool gifs of robots/mech stuff from Kishin Heidan, Eiyu Gaiden Mozaika, and Dragon's Heaven. haven't gotten around to them myself, but they're all short OVAs that should fit your criteria

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Eh, I'm of the opinion Zeorymer's more of a time sink than anything else. Pretty much everything that gave it interest to me was it being made in the late 80s and as such having that aesthetic, and the admittedly cool robot design (Lanstar is just ridiculously good looking). It's not terrible for anything, it just doesn't have much going for it.

Some of the best robot OVAs I've seen would have to be Mazinkaiser (ESPECIALLY the General of Darkness little sequel bit to it) and Mazinkaiser SKL which are just great fun overall. Being me, I'd also recommend Fafner Right of Left, it's a prequel so you don't need to know much about the actual show to get it. I also really enjoyed Bushi Road, something about it just felt right to me.

...I also...wouldn't say it's GOOD by any means but Iczer-1 is also...certainly a THING that happened. I wouldn't advise it unless you're prepared for some serious poo poo, but...it...sort of has relevance as apparently being like, the first OVA ever?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Eiyu Gaiden Mozaika isn't mecha, for what it's worth, even if it does feature a giant fist battleship.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not technically an OVA, but the compilation movies of Gurren Lagann and Gundam 0079 are basically OVA-length.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Parallax posted:

Goshogun: The Time Etranger is a movie without mechs in it, but it's a sequel to a robot show and is really cool so you should watch it.

The movie of Uchuu Senshi Baldios is weird and old but I enjoy it, maybe you will too?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Eiyu Gaiden Mozaika isn't mecha, for what it's worth, even if it does feature a giant fist battleship.

i was hoping people would steer me right, if any of them weren't mecha. that ship is super cool

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Tae posted:

Not technically an OVA, but the compilation movies of Gurren Lagann and Gundam 0079 are basically OVA-length.

The Gundam movies are about a 13 episode series altogether, they're somewhere between 2-3 hours apiece.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Just rewatched Cybernetics Guardian, and while it's nothing amazing in terms of writing, it's a fun way to kill 42 minutes, helps that it's a really good looking OVA(would love for Discotek to pick it up and release it on Blu-Ray), and has a surprisingly kickass soundtrack(something it has in common with it's cousin MD Geist)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Macross Delta is about an idol team, anime is saved

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

boom boom boom posted:

Macross Delta is about an idol team, anime is saved

Macross has always been about idols, though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Schwarzwald posted:

Macross has always been about idols, though.

They weren't the pilots before!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

boom boom boom posted:

They weren't the pilots before!

Macross 7.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

That was a rock band, not iodls

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
May Delta save us from the tyranny of Macross Frontier appearing in every single SRW game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pureauthor posted:

May Delta save us from the tyranny of Macross Frontier appearing in every single SRW game.

They'll include Frontier alongside Delta. Sheryl and Ranka being kidnapped is now a SRW fixture for all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Ahhh, economy of form. My boyfriend is a pilot, but he's also an idol, and someone in a love triangle with me.