Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

grassy gnoll posted:

What's your general tactic with that list?

I usually start them in a corner in a staggered formation with the B-Wing and K-Wing slightly forward, the B on the inside edge and the K on the outside. Then I fly the B-Wing and the A-Wing slowly, banking slightly into the middle of the board with the Y and the K lingering slightly behind so that they're screened.

The A-Wing is my blocker, and with 1-turns and boost it's fantastic at that. The B-Wing usually gets stuck into the middle of any furball so that I can make good use of its great short-range dial and 3-die primary. I usually use the Y-Wing to hit a target prior to the B-Wing in order to strip tokens and make any potential 4-dice attack extra painful.

As for Miranda in the K, I usually skirt her around the edges taking targets of opportunity and I make liberal use of SLAM in order to get her out of trouble when the other player inevitably recognises her for the threat she is. I had two games where she was wiped off the board despite her ability to regenerate, but that took enough doing by my opponent that they couldn't deal with the remaining B-Wing and Y-Wing, both of which are really tough to bring down themselves.

Hero of the day was the A-Wing, though. It did a surprising amount of damage with its 2 red dice, and it got the last kill in my final match when it popped a Kihraxz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Slaver with Tactician, Bossk, Gunner, Dampeners along with 5 Z-95s still owns bones. 8-1 in my league.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It does my heart good to see Wes and Wedge owning bones every time I see it.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So, considering how well TLT lists have done recently in my area, pretty much every knob-job is now flying them. Which sounds like a better counter to this: TIE Swarm or anything with arc dodgers above PS 2 loaded with Autothrusters? I'm leaning toward swarm just for the old-school value of it all.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

enigmahfc posted:

So, considering how well TLT lists have done recently in my area, pretty much every knob-job is now flying them. Which sounds like a better counter to this: TIE Swarm or anything with arc dodgers above PS 2 loaded with Autothrusters? I'm leaning toward swarm just for the old-school value of it all.

Straight-up swarms are good against a ton of the meta- they're just grueling to play over 6+ rounds in a tournament and the MoV used to work against them hard.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of tournaments, I've got one coming up in a couple of weeks, and I'm not certain as to which list to use. The two main contenders are:

The list that got me 4th place at the last tournament:

quote:

Keyan Farlander (30)
- Veteran Instincts

Ten Numb (35)
- Mangler Cannon

Wedge Antilles (33)
- Engine Upgrade

Or my "how the trench run should have been' list, with Vader and friends:

quote:

Darth Vader (29)
- Predator
- Advanced Targeting Computer
- TIE/x1

Bounty Hunter (33)

Bounty Hunter (33)

However I'm not sure which one is more versatile/generally potent, so any input would be greatly appreciated! (I also have a hankering to use a scum list involving my beloved Kihraxz fighters, although I've got no idea where to start, with that one..)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
TIE Punishers look cool, are they actually worth getting?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Anatharon posted:

quote:

TIE Punishers look cool

I ran him with Fire Control System, Extra Munitions, Ion Torpedoes, and Cluster Missiles at 40 points.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Anatharon posted:

I love the Punisher. I think it's my favorite Imperial ship. Over the weekend, I flew something very similar to this at a local tournament.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...:;12:140:-1:-1:

This weekend, I used Seismic Charges and Twin Iron Engines instead of the Proton Bombs (didn't own any), at 98 points total.

Deathrain performed admirably and, in all but one game, was able to drop all of his bombs. He more than pulled his weight. And the crack shot swarm was able to push through damage when it really counted.

Took out a brobots list and only lost one of the TIEs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on some way to make this list better? I've thought of using Redline + missiles instead of Deathrain, but I'm unsure if using one missile/torpedo would be better than a bomb plus a regular attack.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

Uggghhhhh so okay I just flew four games against someone flying Chewie (Lone Wolf, Falcon, Lando, Experimental Interface, C-3P0) and Corran Horn (EU, Fire Control System, VI, R2-D2) and it was some of the most brutal gaming I've had. I lost the first three games and while some of it was due to bad flying on my part a lot of it was just due to his list being ridiculously tanky between regenerating shields coupled with 3 green + evades and 3P0 and Lando giving Chewie ridiculous staying power.

So how do you play this build? Guess "zero" on defense rolls? Or use 3P0 on the Lando roll?

I'm seeing focus, and Lando, but I'm not sure how he'd get up to 3 evades.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Corran has 3 green dice.

Lando is a poor choice on any ship but its fun in casual games I guess

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Falcon title, Lando, and C-3P0 is good for a minimum of two and up to four evades in a turn.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Deviant posted:

So how do you play this build? Guess "zero" on defense rolls? Or use 3P0 on the Lando roll?

I'm seeing focus, and Lando, but I'm not sure how he'd get up to 3 evades.

The three green plus evades is on Corran who also regens shields on green moves with R2-D2. I have played around with Corran and R2-D2 before, and he can be very resilient. But if you fly him defensively to keep him alive, it can be hard to make use worthwhile use of his ability. You ideally want to be at range 1 to make best use of it, but that can leave you exposed to multiple shots that will take him down quickly.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Strobe posted:

Falcon title, Lando, and C-3P0 is good for a minimum of two and up to four evades in a turn.

I must not be understanding the interaction here. 2 is easy, you take the action, then take Lando's action and guess "0" with 3P0, but how do you get to 4?

Oh. That does make sense.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 26, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
One from using the Falcon. Up to two from using Lando. One from using 3P0 on an actual defensive roll.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Strobe posted:

One from using the Falcon. Up to two from using Lando. One from using 3P0 on an actual defensive roll.

I think you can use 3P0 on Lando's roll for even more shenanigans.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You can go all out gambler and guess 1 and get 5 a turn.

Its what Lando would want

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Deviant posted:

I must not be understanding the interaction here. 2 is easy, you take the action, then take Lando's action and guess "0" with 3P0, but how do you get to 4?

Okay, so with the Falcon Title, Lando, , 3P0, Lone Wolf, and Experimental Interface you can:

1). Evade as your action.

2). Use Experimental Interface to use Lando to roll two green, collecting any focus or evade results that pop up as tokens.

3). Then once per round you can guess 0 with 3P0 for that extra little nudge of defense.

4). And what you can also do is reroll any blanks on your one green die with Lone Wolf including any blanks you roll when you use 3P0 to guess zero evades. Roll a blank when you guessed zero, get an evade, then reroll that blank with Lone Wolf and oh look, another evade result (or maybe a focus, but hey, Lando is just handing out tokens).

At one point during my last game against this list Chewie had 3 evade tokens (evade action, Lando rolled double evades) and then had 3P0 and Lone Wolf on top of it, it was ridiculous. Wes could do some work stripping some of the tokens but it was in part down to whether he rolled badly with Lando or if he couldn't risk the stress because he needed to plan a non-green move in order to set up for a block or just get clear of an obstacle. The real MVP was Wedge who, at range 1-2, denied Chewie the ability to roll a green die in the first place, which prevented 3P0 from being used, and even then it still took a long-rear end time to chew through 13 hitpoints which all happen to be immune to critical effects (so no use hoping for Direct Hits or Damaged Sensor Arrays).

I probably would have had a much rougher time if I hadn't vaporized Corran at the start. He thought I was going to go after Chewie and swooped Corran in for the flank from the far corner but I actually turned in to gun for Corran after making him think I was going for Chewie, and while he tried to boost his way into Dutch's minimum fire distance he just fell short...not that it mattered because Wes and Wedge also had him in arc and loving obliterated him, but it could easily have swung the other way.

Strobe posted:

It does my heart good to see Wes and Wedge owning bones every time I see it.

It's weird but beyond being a solid list of good ships and upgrades I feel like I'm actually more competent when I fly it. When I flew Vader and Chiraneu I was banging off asteroids and just flying like poo poo, but with Wedge, Wes, and Dutch I somehow almost always manage to line things up juuuuust right.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kai Tave posted:

Okay, so with the Falcon Title, Lando, , 3P0, Lone Wolf, and Experimental Interface you can:

1). Evade as your action.

2). Use Experimental Interface to use Lando to roll two green, collecting any focus or evade results that pop up as tokens.

3). Then once per round you can guess 0 with 3P0 for that extra little nudge of defense.

4). And what you can also do is reroll any blanks on your one green die with Lone Wolf including any blanks you roll when you use 3P0 to guess zero evades. Roll a blank when you guessed zero, get an evade, then reroll that blank with Lone Wolf and oh look, another evade result (or maybe a focus, but hey, Lando is just handing out tokens).

At one point during my last game against this list Chewie had 3 evade tokens (evade action, Lando rolled double evades) and then had 3P0 and Lone Wolf on top of it, it was ridiculous. Wes could do some work stripping some of the tokens but it was in part down to whether he rolled badly with Lando or if he couldn't risk the stress because he needed to plan a non-green move in order to set up for a block or just get clear of an obstacle. The real MVP was Wedge who, at range 1-2, denied Chewie the ability to roll a green die in the first place, which prevented 3P0 from being used, and even then it still took a long-rear end time to chew through 13 hitpoints which all happen to be immune to critical effects (so no use hoping for Direct Hits or Damaged Sensor Arrays).

I probably would have had a much rougher time if I hadn't vaporized Corran at the start. He thought I was going to go after Chewie and swooped Corran in for the flank from the far corner but I actually turned in to gun for Corran after making him think I was going for Chewie, and while he tried to boost his way into Dutch's minimum fire distance he just fell short...not that it mattered because Wes and Wedge also had him in arc and loving obliterated him, but it could easily have swung the other way.

It's weird but beyond being a solid list of good ships and upgrades I feel like I'm actually more competent when I fly it. When I flew Vader and Chiraneu I was banging off asteroids and just flying like poo poo, but with Wedge, Wes, and Dutch I somehow almost always manage to line things up juuuuust right.

I've mowed down a lot of Falcons built like this because it's really easy to troll actions off a falcon when you have enough Z-95s around. The stressing builds limiting you to greens makes you dead easy to block and then you get no evades other than c3p0's.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Panzeh posted:

I've mowed down a lot of Falcons built like this because it's really easy to troll actions off a falcon when you have enough Z-95s around. The stressing builds limiting you to greens makes you dead easy to block and then you get no evades other than c3p0's.

This was definitely a part of it in that when I wasn't screwing around with Miranda and Jan, my "I'm messing around with stuff I don't use but I'm still actually trying to win" list was two ships, Vader and a Decimator, and I didn't have the wherewithal to block the Falcon and I wasn't able to effectively focus-fire down Corran fast enough (three green dice, evade, and R2-D2 make for a resilient combination) before he popped Vader and from there it was one big turret ship against another big turret ship with a buddy and welp. I'd probably have been better off going with Oicunn and ramming poo poo.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

alg posted:

Lando is a poor choice on any ship but its fun in casual games I guess

One of the people I fly against at a recent tournament flew a Chewie with Lando and Kyle Katarn, along with a couple of B's, one of which had Jan as crew. I swear, the green dice LOVED being used for Lando. Chewie had a constant stack of Evades and Focuses, like, every turn Lando was used both dice gave out good rolls. Thankfully, that person fly really badly so I could take out the B's before having my ships focus fire Chewie to death, but man, it sort of became a long ordeal. Almost impressive to see that many tokens crowded around the Falcon.

The player was also new to the game and was super nice; didn't even care if he won or lost, he was just so excited to be playing X-Wing. Dude got dead last in the tournament but still walked away with all kinds of loot because all of us loved the dude's attitude and gave him a bunch of our extra winnings (I gave him the Dash I won since I had one already, someone else gave him a set of evade tokens, stuff like that). We gotta keep the good ones around to make up the few who take it too serious and horde stuff to sell on Ebay.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Long ordeal" is the word for it. I love playing against this guy (one of three people I now have to play against semi-regularly) but by the end of four games I was exhausted. Lando and EI seems like a gimmicky combo but I dunno man, the times that he got nothing out of it were generally outweighed by the times that he could at least rack up one more token of some sort while still having his EPT slot reserved for Lone Wolf (which is also a pretty decent upgrade for many large ships).

Speaking of tankiness I can't wait to have Integrated Astromech on hand. Wes somehow manages to die pretty much every game I play (he's the one pilot I've found that people will prioritize over Wedge) and being able to throw my R2 at an incoming Direct Hit is going to be super satisfying.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Welp, I guess I'll buy a YT-2400. Wanted one anyway for my Experimental Interface on Chirpy.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Kai Tave posted:

but I dunno man, the times that he got nothing out of it were generally outweighed by the times that he could at least rack up one more token of some sort while still having his EPT slot reserved for Lone Wolf (which is also a pretty decent upgrade for many large ships).

The other matches he played that day went like that, but I guess his dice hated me personally or something because his luck sky rocketed. But then again, that how things go with a game that includes dice as a main mechanic.

Deviant posted:

Welp, I guess I'll buy a YT-2400. Wanted one anyway for my Experimental Interface on Chirpy.

They are also fun to fly, which is an even better reason to get one. Although EI and Expose can be crazy at times.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

The other matches he played that day went like that, but I guess his dice hated me personally or something because his luck sky rocketed. But then again, that how things go with a game that includes dice as a main mechanic.

They are also fun to fly, which is an even better reason to get one. Although EI and Expose can be crazy at times.

It does look neat. I kind of want a Tantive IV as well just because the model looks great, but it's pricy.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

ConfusedUs posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on some way to make this list better? I've thought of using Redline + missiles instead of Deathrain, but I'm unsure if using one missile/torpedo would be better than a bomb plus a regular attack.

With Cluster Missiles + Fire Control System, Redline can get two 3-die attacks at range 1-2 with target locks on both. You get two to begin with, spend one to attack with Cluster Missiles, use the other to re-roll, then get them back with FCS for the second Cluster Missile attack. It has the potential for some huge damage.

I made this list with that in mind after I won my Punisher:

"Redline" (27)
Fire-Control System (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)

"Howlrunner" (18)
Swarm Tactics (2)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)
Crack Shot (1)

Crack Shot (1)

Crack Shot (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yep, Redline + Cluster Missiles + FCS seems to be the go-to combination. I feel like with a single missile + Extra Munitions that you're going to run out of useful shots with him pretty quick though, and the Punisher sans munitions is okay but not super great.

A theme and variation on the same concept:

Redline (27)
-Fire Control System (2)
-Twin Ion Engine Mk. 2 (1)
-Cluster Missiles (4)
-Cluster Missiles (4)
-Extra Munitions (2)

Howlrunner (18)
-Swarm Tactics (2)

Omega Squadron Pilot (18)
-Adrenaline Rush (1)
-Weapons Guidance (2)

Omega Squadron Pilot (18)
-Adrenaline Rush (1)
-Weapons Guidance (2)

You trade off one ship for two slightly beefier/slipperier ones and an extra pair of missiles for Redline to fire.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I kept Redline pretty light on the assumption that she's a big, slow, low-agility target that most people will want to focus down first, and she won't last long under sustained fire.

I really like that list, though. I've actually never flown my TIE/FOs, so I'll have to give it a go.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You two have kind of hit the problem I have with Redline.

To be effective, you gotta spend a lot of points on him. Enough points that it eats into his escort. With either of those lists, I think the first joust would decide the entire game. Lose Redline early? It's over. Lose a couple of TIEs? It's over.

If I were facing either of those lists, I would make Redline my priority. Kill him before he gets more than a couple shots off, and I win.

Punishers can't be the priority target. They're tough, but they're not that tough. The lack of defense dice means they cannot withstand concentrated fire.

I've only run him a few times, but I really feel that Redline would be better with something like Redline + Soontir + VaderShuttle. Or something along those lines, where there's no good target. The ones you ignore will gently caress you up. Three TIES aren't scary the way Soontir is once he gets on your rear end.

I think some variation of that list made it to the top 8 in the New Zealand nationals.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Deviant posted:

It does look neat. I kind of want a Tantive IV as well just because the model looks great, but it's pricy.

They have them for $56.27 on Amazon. Better than msrp, and you can spent the extra 30 on other stuff at your LGS.

Endman
May 18, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Three TIES aren't scary the way Soontir is once he gets on your rear end.

I don't really agree with that. Nearly all the times I've played against Soontir recently, he's melted so drat fast. He's just such a glass cannon. I guess he's scary if you're running a fat turret and you can't hit him with Stealth Device + Autothrusters, but I've never had trouble pasting him.

Three TIEs, on the other hand, don't go down nearly as easily and, in the case of Black Sq. Pilots with Crack Shot and Howlrunner's re-roll, they can put down a pretty decent amount of damage.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

You two have kind of hit the problem I have with Redline.

To be effective, you gotta spend a lot of points on him. Enough points that it eats into his escort. With either of those lists, I think the first joust would decide the entire game. Lose Redline early? It's over. Lose a couple of TIEs? It's over.

If I were facing either of those lists, I would make Redline my priority. Kill him before he gets more than a couple shots off, and I win.

Punishers can't be the priority target. They're tough, but they're not that tough. The lack of defense dice means they cannot withstand concentrated fire.

I've only run him a few times, but I really feel that Redline would be better with something like Redline + Soontir + VaderShuttle. Or something along those lines, where there's no good target. The ones you ignore will gently caress you up. Three TIES aren't scary the way Soontir is once he gets on your rear end.

I think some variation of that list made it to the top 8 in the New Zealand nationals.

I played some games against a list that was Deathrain + Soontir + Carnor Jax and yeah, it worked out pretty decently for him, though we both agreed that Cluster Mines are a cool idea but kind of poo poo in practice (six red dice! That only do damage on regular hit results, so have fun rolling three blanks, two eyes, and a crit) and that it would work better with Conner Nets along with Proximity Mines.

Theme and variation number two, using some cards that aren't out yet:

Soontir Fel (27)
-Push the Limit (3)
-Autothrusters (2)
-Royal Guard TIE (0)
-Targeting Computer (2)

Carnor Jax (26)
-Juke (2)
-Autothrusters (2)

Redline (27)
-Cluster Missiles (4)
-XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)
-Fire Control System (2)
-Extra Munitions (2)

Juke on Carnor Jax has some ridiculous potential for shenanigans. Points are a bit dear so I can't squeeze in his customary Stealth Device though. The S-Thread Tracer combined with the two Interceptors at a higher PS means that you're setting up future turns rather than getting the locks before Carnor and Soontir attack, but with their maneuverability it means you can can spend their actions boosting and barrel rolling into position while still being able to put out some strong hits (and Carnor can't even Target Lock normally so hey).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kai Tave posted:

I played some games against a list that was Deathrain + Soontir + Carnor Jax and yeah, it worked out pretty decently for him, though we both agreed that Cluster Mines are a cool idea but kind of poo poo in practice (six red dice! That only do damage on regular hit results, so have fun rolling three blanks, two eyes, and a crit) and that it would work better with Conner Nets along with Proximity Mines.

Theme and variation number two, using some cards that aren't out yet:

Soontir Fel (27)
-Push the Limit (3)
-Autothrusters (2)
-Royal Guard TIE (0)
-Targeting Computer (2)

Carnor Jax (26)
-Juke (2)
-Autothrusters (2)

Redline (27)
-Cluster Missiles (4)
-XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)
-Fire Control System (2)
-Extra Munitions (2)

Juke on Carnor Jax has some ridiculous potential for shenanigans. Points are a bit dear so I can't squeeze in his customary Stealth Device though. The S-Thread Tracer combined with the two Interceptors at a higher PS means that you're setting up future turns rather than getting the locks before Carnor and Soontir attack, but with their maneuverability it means you can can spend their actions boosting and barrel rolling into position while still being able to put out some strong hits (and Carnor can't even Target Lock normally so hey).

Deathrain is my favorite Punisher pilot. Connor nets are nice but I find that I'm usually better off with Proxy mines in terms of raw damage output. I hate Cluster mines; I rarely hit with more than one of the clusters, and the damage output is pitiful. They're better at area denial but that's it.

Frankly, if you're not dropping the bomb right on top of someone, you're doing it wrong. And for that, Proxy mines are better in any realistic scenario.

Personally, I tend to run one on-action mine (like Proxy, Connor Net, or Cluster) and one on-reveal bomb (like ion, seismic, or proton) so that I have the flexibility to drop a bomb if I end up anywhere near the enemy.

Juke looks like it'll be a seriously fun upgrade and it fits very well on Carnor. Although I'm not sure if it'll be better than PTL on any interceptor...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

Deathrain is my favorite Punisher pilot. Connor nets are nice but I find that I'm usually better off with Proxy mines in terms of raw damage output. I hate Cluster mines; I rarely hit with more than one of the clusters, and the damage output is pitiful. They're better at area denial but that's it.

Frankly, if you're not dropping the bomb right on top of someone, you're doing it wrong. And for that, Proxy mines are better in any realistic scenario.

Personally, I tend to run one on-action mine (like Proxy, Connor Net, or Cluster) and one on-reveal bomb (like ion, seismic, or proton) so that I have the flexibility to drop a bomb if I end up anywhere near the enemy.

Juke looks like it'll be a seriously fun upgrade and it fits very well on Carnor. Although I'm not sure if it'll be better than PTL on any interceptor...

He was running Deathrain with Advanced Scopes for ultimate go-first-and-mine-drop capabilities, so on-reveal bombs would have required him to predict how everyone's movement was going to go before anyone actually moved (and hope that they didn't boost/barrel roll clear). Using bombs to make people move in sub-optimal ways is a decent tactic, but I think he was going for more raw guaranteed damage. It worked pretty well for him too, he dropped all four mines before I finally killed the drat thing, though Kath Scarlet tanked quite a few Cluster Mines to minimal effect...once you stop being scared of them their area denial potential lessens significantly.

One day I kind of want to go nuts and just load Deathrain up with Proton Bombs, see how much havoc I can cause.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Deathrain with Proton Bombs would be my worst nightmare. B-Wings can't dodge bombs, and most of their HP is in shields.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Endman posted:

Deathrain with Proton Bombs would be my worst nightmare. B-Wings can't dodge bombs, and most of their HP is in shields.

Problem with Proton bombs is that they always explode after everyone has moved, not on contact, so they don't let you fully utilize Deathtrain's ability. Put Proxy or Cluster mines and Advanced Scopes on Deathtrain, move first, and slam-dunk bombs on people all game long. :getin:

Endman
May 18, 2010

I have to say, the Punisher is a way more usable munitions platform than the K-Wing, especially after they errata'd SLAM so that you can't use it to drop a bomb any more.

I have no idea why they did that, it's not like bombs are overpowered, and that was the whole point of SLAM as they suggested in the reveal article. :psyduck:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Endman posted:

I have to say, the Punisher is a way more usable munitions platform than the K-Wing, especially after they errata'd SLAM so that you can't use it to drop a bomb any more.

I have no idea why they did that, it's not like bombs are overpowered, and that was the whole point of SLAM as they suggested in the reveal article. :psyduck:

I think it was less that they errata'd SLAM and more that SLAM never worked the way that the person who wrote that article made it out to be. I mean it's kind of dumb either way, but there you go. You still can use SLAM to do bomb drop shenanigans, but it's with the as-action bombs, using Advanced SLAM to loop around and then drop a Conner Net or Proximity Mine in someone's face.

Gimmicky lists aside, I also find that Miranda does work nicely with being able to squeeze an extra red die onto, say, a Proton Torpedo or Homing Missile. She costs more than a Punisher, especially if you account for a turret, but she makes up for it by being a more useful fighting platform in general. The other named K-Wing pilot is so dull that he might as well not exist though, which is a shame.

Endman
May 18, 2010

It's especially disappointing when you look at Esege's card and see the :krad: colour scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

kizudarake posted:

They have them for $56.27 on Amazon. Better than msrp, and you can spent the extra 30 on other stuff at your LGS.

Surprisingly cheaper than my LGS. But I'm spoiled and live near Cool Stuff Games' warehouse location as I've bragged about. :D

Maybe I'll pick it up.

• Locked thread