Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Track record of people who got full flashback stories in Vinland Saga:

1. Thors - Died

2. Askeladd - Died

Thorkell the Tall got a flashback story and he's still kicking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Pewdiepie posted:

Thorkell the Tall got a flashback story and he's still kicking around.

With the exception of Thorkell being under the protection of the history books (which can potentially spoil the relationship between him and Cnut), this series has managed to kill all of my favorite characters.

So yeah, there's a good chance she'll die in some Mexican showdown like Clint Eastwood while protecting the crew.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well, I don't think anyone non-historical has plot armor, but all this back story about forgiveness makes it seem really likely she'll join the crew for a while. It'll help balance the (historically weighted and totally understandable) gender imbalance in the main cast too, which is nice because it's clear this story cares about gender (in addition to everything else that caused injustice and suffering at this point in history).

Of course anyone could die for any reason before they reach either of their goals (Constantinople for this arc, and ultimately Vinland for the whole manga), but I doubt Hild will die any time soon. Not because it wouldn't be tragic/dramatic/whatever, but because there's so much her perspective can add to what our party is undoubtedly going to see as they travel the world. Thorfinn is on a quest for perspective right now as much as he's after the resources to settle Vinland.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Hilde will probably stick around for at least a few volumes. So far, she's my new favorite character and I really hope to see more of her before she gets the Berserk treatment.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

New chapter of Vinland Saga:

http://readms.com/r/vinland_saga/121/2997/1

I hope it all works out OK for all of them. :ohdear:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sue posted:

New chapter of Vinland Saga:

http://readms.com/r/vinland_saga/121/2997/1

I hope it all works out OK for all of them. :ohdear:
They're allllll deaaaaad :unsmigghh:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

That art is so awesome while she's reloading!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pewdiepie posted:

That art is so awesome while she's reloading!

Yeah that whole sequence was really impressive.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I like to think that's all Einer's got.

You can't kill him, because I don't want you to.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Hi I did a Brides Story Parte le 49, you can read it here (maybe??): https://bato.to/reader#53f29f50cb1bc4e1

I notice a few pages are blank for some reason and I'm hoping its just the server chugging to keep up, I also notice the URL has a new style to it, so maybe Batoto get shittier?? Haven't done this for a few months and dunno the place for cool kids to upload these days. Here's an imgur album in case it doesn't resolve itself

jesus gently caress mori you relentless troll. "Okay yeah, Pariya's got some poo poo going on, but hey let's see what's up over here with these guys!!"
I guess lol at Amir. It's not a real race without something on the table!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
yeah it worked fine when I went to read it. Whatever they did to their coding actually seems to have improved things, as I haven't had manga refusing to load like I did before sometimes.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Batato was having trouble with heavy traffic loads from bots spidering every comic page on the site looking for new chapters to rip off for manga hosting sites. So the admin changed some things and will be going members only soon (though you can still register freely).

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
this was good when it was baby Askeladd kicking the poo poo out of people but than he became a pacifist and it got real bad!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A Bride's Story: Just gently caress Already

Motherfucker posted:

this was good when it was baby Askeladd kicking the poo poo out of people but than he became a pacifist and it got real bad!!

What, Vinland Saga? Nah it didn't get bad, it just changed perspective.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Captain Invictus posted:

What, Vinland Saga? Nah it didn't get bad, it just changed perspective.

nah it was real real bad

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like Vinland Saga more now than before. Sure the farmland saga went on a bit too long but the payoff was fantastic.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

nah it was real real bad

**me shoots this fucktard a billion times in the head**

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Motherfucker posted:

nah it was real real bad
Nah it's actually good. This is a poignant and informative conversation we are having.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Motherfucker posted:

nah it was real real bad

I disagree.

I like both and having the character go through such broad development is an interesting part of this guys mangas.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:laffo:

:golfclap:

awesome

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Andrast posted:

I like Vinland Saga more now than before. Sure the farmland saga went on a bit too long but the payoff was fantastic.

For sure, I got more satisfaction out of seeing that field plowed than from most fighting shounen manga's climax.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

**me shoots this fucktard a billion times in the head**

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Hi I did a Brides Story Parte le 49, you can read it here (maybe??): https://bato.to/reader#53f29f50cb1bc4e1

I notice a few pages are blank for some reason and I'm hoping its just the server chugging to keep up, I also notice the URL has a new style to it, so maybe Batoto get shittier?? Haven't done this for a few months and dunno the place for cool kids to upload these days. Here's an imgur album in case it doesn't resolve itself

jesus gently caress mori you relentless troll. "Okay yeah, Pariya's got some poo poo going on, but hey let's see what's up over here with these guys!!"

I'm like 99% sure I've read this chapter before, a long time ago? Maybe that was just a raw I found?

Anyways thanks again EB!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wanna see Kyoukai murder all the Chu officers on Kingdom

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Beautiful.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I'm not really bothered about the story, I just like seeing them enjoy the little things. Amir is great for that, especially when he gets unnecessarily serious about stuff :3:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

its kind of ridiculous its taken so long for this to happen

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I'm hoping the next chapter is pretty epic.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm reading this manga, Innocent, which is about the executioner Charles Henri Sanson who killed 3000 people during the end of the French Monarchy and the start of the French Revolution. It has a really boring and meandering start with Sanson being like Shinji Ikari except with executing people instead of getting on the loving robot but it gets really good after chapter 10 or so and it has some loving gorgeous art.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Innocent-SAKAMOTO-Shinichi

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 6, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh poo poo that's from one of the dudes behind that trippy climber manga Kokou no Hito I think. Sold.
I always thought Shinji was fine as a character since the dude is like a 13 year old child soldier but I guess it'd be kinda annoying in an adult character

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Charles-Henri Sanson is stated to be 14 in the first chapter, and I don't think it's any less understandable a reaction in him than it is in Shinji.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

glomkettle posted:

Charles-Henri Sanson is stated to be 14 in the first chapter, and I don't think it's any less understandable a reaction in him than it is in Shinji.

This especially with the brutal stuff he's expected to do.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Kaja Rainbow posted:

This especially with the brutal stuff he's expected to do.

I just finished reading what's available of Innocent and yeah, it's pretty drat brutal.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm not saying it's not understandable for a sensible kid to avoid a life of brutally killing people, but Sanson running away from home to cry every chapter during the first volume was kinda grating to me.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I'm not saying it's not understandable for a sensible kid to avoid a life of brutally killing people, but Sanson running away from home to cry every chapter during the first volume was kinda grating to me.

I can see both points of view. It's funny how your expectation of what is disturbing behaviour is totally changed when dealing in a fictional setting. Anyway, I need to have a read of that manga it sounds like...

As a further aside, I've been listening to this great podcast about revolutions. He was going to go for 15 episodes per revolution he was going to cover. He's just getting towards the end of his segment about the French Revolution after 54 episodes...
http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

papasyhotcakes posted:

For sure, I got more satisfaction out of seeing that field plowed than from most fighting shounen manga's climax.

Truth.

I've also been getting more joy out of Otoyomegatari embroidery chat than the climax of most shounen fighting mangas though so...

Finally, going back to buying manga chat, I have been buying the Vinland Saga modules but I much prefer reading the stuff online. The larger format and higher contrast is rather nice as far as I a concerned. That's of course taking into account people doing a good job with the raws.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
The art of Innocent is really good but the plot is just ridiculous. I think I would enjoy a more historically accurate retelling over "and then everyone had hot gay sex all the time, and that guy hosed his wife in front of his son, and that lady breastfed her adult son, and then a 11-year-old girl with a mohawk is the Best Executioner EVAAAAARRRR and p.s. everyone has the same immortal vampire face."

It's more horror yaoi in 1700s French-inspired clothing than anything else.

EDIT: got the age wrong, the Best Executioner Evar is 11, not 14. So even worse!

ATP5G1 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 7, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

ATP5G1 posted:

The art of Innocent is really good but the plot is just ridiculous. I think I would enjoy a more historically accurate retelling over "and then everyone had hot gay sex all the time, and that guy hosed his wife in front of his son, and that lady breastfed her adult son, and then a 11-year-old girl with a mohawk is the Best Executioner EVAAAAARRRR and p.s. everyone has the same immortal vampire face."

It's more horror yaoi in 1700s French-inspired clothing than anything else.

EDIT: got the age wrong, the Best Executioner Evar is 11, not 14. So even worse!

I'd say there was more straight sex than there was yaoi. This manga really likes boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's about the loving French what you expected