Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015
if you don't enjoy PVE, I recommend following around the zergs to get heroic points, personally I don't see a point in doing any of the new content if all you want to do is PVP, that being said the new pvp arena stronghold is great. The key to maintaining a 99% win percentage on this map is to man the treb, and keep killing the minions.

I play a dragon hunter trap spec, and I use signet of courage to heal the lord to full life after each enemy wipe. Combined with traps, a hammer & longbow I make it nearly impossible for the other team to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

ShadowMar posted:

standard comes with a char slot for old players, other ones come with 2 slots for old players

Only if you preordered do you get the extra slot on standard.

Ask me about buying it Friday :sigh:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Thanks for doing the guild hall capture SFD, even though it was bugged to poo poo and spawned hundreds of lvl 84 elites. Turns out bringing 120+ players is a bad idea for scaling.

Enjoy our new hall! There seems to be some issues with instancing so sometimes you get put in an empty one instead of the hall everyone is in and waypoints are busted.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Interesting combo.

What runes you rockin

The stats combo is part of the expert strategy of "whatever i had lying around in my bank"

I use privateer runes cause I like birds.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Harrow posted:

That's what I'd much prefer to do, but I really want Chronomancer fully unlocked as soon as possible. At least I had world completion to give me a head start and I have it in an almost usable condition right now, but I still only have the first column of major traits.

I think that's why I'm so upset about how many hero points elite specs require. I'd love to just run around and explore and have fun, but I feel this pressure to unlock Chronomancer ASAP because I'm so excited about it. It's a tension I don't find fun, but I'm sure I'll get over it eventually.

Gliding is really fun, though. I love that I can basically fall from any height I like as long as I tap the space bar before I land.

I wouldn't worry about hero points down the road...anet is getting savaged (and rightfully so) over the ridiculous gating. They're going to have to change it for sure.

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012
Verdant Brink Hero Point Guide.

http://dulfy.net/2015/10/25/gw2-verdant-brinks-hero-points-guide/

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Azzents posted:

I need this bow for my grimdark skull charr. Where did you acquire it?

The amazing pro elite method of opening a champ bag

Noirex
May 30, 2006

GI_Clutch posted:

Have you met the stealthing frogs that take you down in seconds yet? They're the best. Especially when you are doing an event with a whopping three people and it thinks the proper scaling is to spawn an elite and two veteran frogs.

HOT has taught me to be terrified of cute looking things. Baby raptors, anime frogs, fluffy smoke beasts all take me down embarrassingly fast.

It's not fun times for a solo player. Trying to join zergs is an exercise in frustration because it's either empty of players or they are on the other side of the map that I die trying to reach. Think I'm going to put this game aside until they change this gating BS. I just want to play my Chromancer :sigh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think tomorrow I'm going to have to sit down and read through as much of wiki.guildwars2.com as I can at work, because goddamn I am lost as hell. I'm just getting to 15 on engineer and the combinations of kits and weapon types and stuff is breaking my brain all on its own let alone all the other stuff the game is trying to cram down my maw :cry:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ciaphas posted:

I think tomorrow I'm going to have to sit down and read through as much of wiki.guildwars2.com as I can at work, because goddamn I am lost as hell. I'm just getting to 15 on engineer and the combinations of kits and weapon types and stuff is breaking my brain all on its own let alone all the other stuff the game is trying to cram down my maw :cry:
While Engineer can be a very complex class, my advice would be to keep it simple while levelling. Stick to one weapon swap kit (preferably flamethrower or bomb kit) and fill in your other slots with elixirs (I like B and U personally) or the elixir gun. That'll get you solid buffs on demand, stability (from the elixir B toolbelt throw) and a stunbreaker/quickness on elixir U along with projectile destruction on the toolbelt.

You don't get your trait line unlocks until level 21 now from what I remember but you'll probably want to consider either Inventions (for the passive speed boost of Mecha Legs) or Tools (for swiftness when swapping kits which is slightly faster but more fiddly than the passive bonus) as your first line since more runspeed = better than. I personally favour Inventions first because in addition to the passive runspeed there's also a really nice trait that makes crits drop healing packs and landmines which procs all the time with flamethrower.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Engineer and Elementalist are particularly difficult classes to learn just because of the huge number of buttons to push. The best advice I can give is to just look up a build you think is fun like static discharge or grenades and learn that aspect of the class. It will change some as you level up and get better traits but the basics will stay the same.

Also if you see a build with some 15 step insane damage rotation just ignore it. Sure that stuff is probably optimal but it a surefire way to get burned out early on. The most important things to learn are stuff like dodging and how to use finishers/combo fields.

and to be honest I still don't know how to play elementalist well

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
With how difficult the fights can be in the HoT areas I'm hitting the wall on just how in the hell do you tell what is going on around you and how well you're doing? I mean I seem to just take damage randomly even when nothing is visibly hitting me or taking damage from enemies that are melee but too far away for them to hit me. Combat just seems to freaking random. It wasn't a big deal with big boss fights because it is just so chaotic in the first place and so many people/effects flying around it makes sense that you can't tell what's going on. And in the old zones the damage wasn't so high that just having wild health swings out of nowhere didn't really make that big of a deal. Now it is just infuriating to see it, especially when it's just me or with one or two other people taking on an event in Verdant. And now that I actually have to care about how well I can pump our damage or survive it's getting really frustrating that the only two indicators of combat performance (as far as I can see) is how fast I kill something and how fast my health goes down in similar fights. Hell, I've got several traits active that say they've got an effect, but if they do it's completely invisible to me and I'd love to know if they're even working.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I sort of wonder if I should just go to another, simpler class before I get too invested in Engineer. Necromancer looks cool too now that I remember its Lich form thing.

(ed) Thanks for all the Engineer advice by the way :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh god it's happening again

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I sort of wonder if I should just go to another, simpler class before I get too invested in Engineer. Necromancer looks cool too now that I remember its Lich form thing.

(ed) Thanks for all the Engineer advice by the way :)

Reaper (Necromancer elite) is very braindead and is even better now that minion master is a braindead spec. Rev is also a literal medically induced coma if you like to activate your utilities and auto-attack. Options abound.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

ItBurns posted:

Reaper (Necromancer elite) is very braindead and is even better now that minion master is a braindead spec. Rev is also a literal medically induced coma if you like to activate your utilities and auto-attack. Options abound.

yes, but it feels so goooood

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

HoT has been a pretty intense challenge for me so far, as I play a glass cannon, bleed-stacking Thief with a focus on evasion over absorption. Mainly because 3-4 hits is all it takes to kill me even without things being scaled up.

I'm enjoying it a surprising amount, especially now the action camera is in. Makes the class a lot more controllable, and lets me focus more on watching for the tells on enemy attacks (you can't really rely on warning cones now) to avoid the hits.

While I do hope the mastery XP grind is reduced (half of what it is currently would make sense), I've been really enjoying just about everything else. Was pretty gutsy not to add any new levels or gear tiers for this one, and instead just crank up the difficulty of the combat and expect players to learn how to play better.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ItBurns posted:

Hah, guess I walkeddived headfirst into that. :v:

(cue me being bored by the simplicity in a couple of days)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Engineer is a cool class for cool people and the elite spec is Scrapper which uses hammers and gets a pipe wrench skin for picking it. You can also upgrade said pipe wrench into a super elite pipe wrench that looks even more magnificent and shiny. I think you know what you have to do.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I expect the GOON hall expedition Friday is going to be an ENORMOUS clusterfuck but really, if it was anything else I'd be disappointed

You better stream that poo poo.

Wasn't around for the SFD one but it seems to have been a great success judging by all the pumpkins and about a billion framerate killing choppers.

That is why the choppers in verdant show up so late, SFD has them all.

Also druid is working out a bit better with a straight damage build.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mercurius posted:

Engineer is a cool class for cool people and the elite spec is Scrapper which uses hammers and gets a pipe wrench skin for picking it. You can also upgrade said pipe wrench into a super elite pipe wrench that looks even more magnificent and shiny. I think you know what you have to do.

Read this post, then watch videos on Scrapper and Reaper, and end up agonizing over the choice, right :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Wasn't around for the SFD one but it seems to have been a great success judging by all the pumpkins and about a billion framerate killing choppers.

I thought my video card was dying from the flickering on my screen then I looked up and saw the billion helicopters :saddowns:

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Is it just me or do the daily achievements not count towards the Halloween meta?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ciaphas posted:

Read this post, then watch videos on Scrapper and Reaper, and end up agonizing over the choice, right :v:
More like level both and then all the rest as well :getin:

Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015
I know Goon Squad is full, but I have Thats no goon [OGOD] on Jade Quarry, if anyone is waiting around for a goon squad opening they are more than welcome to join [OGOD] while waiting. contact eliteblast.6403 for an invite.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Join Critical Theory [MARX] if you like to idle in LA and talk philosophy or redistribution of wealth. This weekend we'll have a quiz about Plato's Meno, next month we'll take a look at Hegel's Phenomenology of the Spirit. Msg Mango-/Bananapuffs for more info.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008
Lost Precipice is great. Lonk and I got creative and made our way up to an area we haven't unlocked yet.

It's very pretty.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm sad I only bought a dozen extra stacks of cured leather before the price hike, was anything else bumped up in price recently?

Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm sad I only bought a dozen extra stacks of cured leather before the price hike, was anything else bumped up in price recently?

platnium ore

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I know a lot of people ask this but with all of the content in the game and heart of thorn what is there for someone who severely burnt out on the game when it was being played. I got a lvel 80 thief, level 80 guardian, level 80 mesmer and I had a good time with the game but there was NOTHING to do but grind the uneead island and farm for your epic.

Is there enough content or does anyone have a video that explains why it is not a bad idea to play this game now that there is an expansion?" It seems very light on content.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Alteisen posted:

You better stream that poo poo.

That is why the choppers in verdant show up so late, SFD has them all.

Also druid is working out a bit better with a straight damage build.

Im doing a daze build kind with mine. You can get some massive cc with the knock back glyph and the daze glyph. Then also the moonshot has 6 seconds which is fuckin nuts. 10 seconds when paired with the glyph, 12 with stunshot on shortbow.For groups I go with the 3% damage when I heal a dude in celestial form, and when I'm soloing I go for the root an rear end in a top hat and make him bleed trait. I like it a lot and the glyphs are fun which is good because I really don't like a lot of rangers utility moves.

Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015

Meowbot posted:

I know a lot of people ask this but with all of the content in the game and heart of thorn what is there for someone who severely burnt out on the game when it was being played. I got a lvel 80 thief, level 80 guardian, level 80 mesmer and I had a good time with the game but there was NOTHING to do but grind the uneead island and farm for your epic.

Is there enough content or does anyone have a video that explains why it is not a bad idea to play this game now that there is an expansion?" It seems very light on content.

The content is pvp, if you don't like to pvp and just want pve grind more gear to grind more gear mmo, play wow?

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008
I just spent like 5 or 6 hours decorating/hiding pumpkins in the guild hall. It's so chill and the complete opposite of everything else in the expansion. More chill stuff in the future please.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been trying out Chronomancer, and it's fun, but on the other hand it requires me to give up some excellent traits. Basically I normally run a Domination-Dueling-Illusion shatter, and now I have to give up at least one line of excellent shatter traits. Domination has Imagined burden (and Mental anguish), Illusion has Master of Fragmentation (plus lots of good minor traits) and Dueling has of course Deceptive evasion. I've run that build open world for so long it's like my second nature.

What kind of chronomancers do other mesmers here run? Also, what's the best way to use continuum split?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Azazell0 posted:

I've been trying out Chronomancer, and it's fun, but on the other hand it requires me to give up some excellent traits. Basically I normally run a Domination-Dueling-Illusion shatter, and now I have to give up at least one line of excellent shatter traits. Domination has Imagined burden (and Mental anguish), Illusion has Master of Fragmentation (plus lots of good minor traits) and Dueling has of course Deceptive evasion. I've run that build open world for so long it's like my second nature.

What kind of chronomancers do other mesmers here run? Also, what's the best way to use continuum split?

Do not, my friends, become addicted to Deceptive evasion. It will take hold of you and you will resent its absence.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Gonk made a friend!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Other than the elite spec bullshit and how grindy masteries are, this expansion is fantastic, I'm very impressed by the work Anet put into it, these zones are amazing and so friggin big.

Mobs do need a tune up though, those frogs do WAY to much damage, I found a hero point with 3 veteran ones around, I got shot once in the air and lost half my health, also the Bristleback is awesome and insanely powerful, pls don't nerf it.

quote:

Im doing a daze build kind with mine. You can get some massive cc with the knock back glyph and the daze glyph. Then also the moonshot has 6 seconds which is fuckin nuts. 10 seconds when paired with the glyph, 12 with stunshot on shortbow.For groups I go with the 3% damage when I heal a dude in celestial form, and when I'm soloing I go for the root an rear end in a top hat and make him bleed trait. I like it a lot and the glyphs are fun which is good because I really don't like a lot of rangers utility moves.

12 seconds of stun? Am I reading your post right?

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 26, 2015

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

The Auric basin guide is up now, too. This is a godsend for me since I spend way too long trying to get to most of the points only to get immediately killed by a champ :downs:

quote:

Mobs do need a tune up though, those frogs do WAY to much damage, I found a hero point with 3 veteran ones around, I got shot once in the air and lost half my health, also the Bristleback is awesome and insanely powerful, pls don't nerf it.
A single almost-instant shot from a normal tree frog does as much damage as the giant super-slow conal aoe from the mordrem guard hammer dudes

e: props to the sniper kick that does almost as much damage and knocks you down

Smith Comma John fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 26, 2015

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Finally maxed out my first elite spec. I had world completion and it was still a huge pain because I had a very hard time getting to enough hero challenges that didn't require some mastery I didn't have or weren't locked behind some event chain that didn't come to pass.

Even though they allegedly patched it I still can't continue the story because it still says I need poison mastery to do it. I would really like to continue on in the story because after all that grinding I had to do (admittedly it was a self-inflicted imperative) I would really just like to have something new to do, but I can't advance anymore and I'm having a hard time finding populated Auric Basin and Tangled Depths maps to do the event chains, and for now I've had my fill of Verdant Brink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How is the engineer specialization by the way? Can you forget about dancing between kits and stuff to be decent, and just focus on hitting poo poo with a giant hammer?

• Locked thread