Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've only accomplished one food injury, which was home cooking where I tapped a red hot burner with my index finger. Like any good burn it started out icy with a sizzle, then became searing pain. It was seriously only a tap with how fast I took my finger off, but it left the pad of my finger brown and tough. It was somewhat similar to when my finger caught some firework fuse from using a too small lighter, except the firework burn had a more smoky gray tone like it was rubbed in ash.

I still consider it a miracle that I was able to make sugar glass with no injuries, but rest assured that I had a very long scream going on inside my head as I poured the boiling sugar around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My husband heated up a can of stew in the oven with popping the lid after a couple of beers. He brought it into the living room and opened it there, which it violently exploded scalding hot stew over every surface of the room. I got hit the worst, sitting on the couch in front of him. I was covered in blisters and burns on my face, neck, arms, and legs. I have a few scars from it now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Wtf, what did he expect?

I've got scars on my biceps from pulling hot trays of bagels from the oven, all the bakers have them. I'm just happy they're not on my wrists.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

My husband heated up a can of stew in the oven with popping the lid after a couple of beers. He brought it into the living room and opened it there, which it violently exploded scalding hot stew over every surface of the room. I got hit the worst, sitting on the couch in front of him. I was covered in blisters and burns on my face, neck, arms, and legs. I have a few scars from it now.

The most surprising thing is he isn't your ex-husband.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

I had a less intense version of that at work a few months ago. My mom was sick and couldn't eat much (she had her gallbladder removed in 2010 and thus is on a restricted diet to avoid illness even at her healthiest, for the rest of her life) so I got a bowl of Campbell's Slow Kettle soup and microwaved it in the office kitchen. Unfortunately, as I pulled it out of the microwave some of the steam came out from under the cracked-open lid and burned my hand. I instinctively released it and the lid popped fully open, spraying chunky stew on my hand as it fell to the ground. The impact was so violent that stew landed on the walls, and on top of the cleanup job I had a first degree burn covering a good part of my hand behind my thumb.

For the record, don't gently caress with sugar glass. That stuff is the hydrochloric acid of the cooking world if you get it on your skin while it's still liquid. Pouring a heavy stew pot full of the stuff into its cooling pan is not unlike pouring molten lead in the panic it can elicit if you drop it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Picnic Princess posted:

Wait, what? Why wouldn't he dump out the can into a saucepan or something? Is heating cans in the oven common?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

cash crab posted:

Wait, what? Why wouldn't he dump out the can into a saucepan or something? Is heating cans in the oven common?

Maybe it's a "man" thing, like how men do dishes by filling up the sink to the very top and dumping the greasiest loving pan in first on top of all the delicate stuff. Then they wash everything else in the same grease water that's quickly going cold, never wondering why everything they're washing dries greasier and dirtier than when they started.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

I also have the hash marks from oven racks.

I've got them from oven racks too, on the backs of my upper arms. Was working in a nursery kitchen, taking out a tray full of cooked nuggets for the kids' lunch. One of the other workers hadn't closed the door between the kitchen and the daycare corridor properly, and an intrepid young man of 15 months toddled out of the infant room and into the kitchen, and latched himself around my knees to give me a hug, as very small children do.

I wasn't expecting it, and staggered backwards against the open oven, where the rack was at just the right height and angle to tilt upwards under my weight and sear the backs of my arms in several perfectly straight lines. I also tipped a whole bunch of chicken nuggets down my front and had some very mild burns on the tops of my boobs from them for a couple days.

Kid was fine, thought it was hilarious to hear me swearing and wailing. Management were less amused, and the kids' parents were least amused of all. Hell of a lot of Health and Safety forms filled in, and the door was switched to one of those automatically closing ones soon after.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Picnic Princess posted:

I didn't parse this right the first time, and thought a pan of soup had exploded. Holy gently caress, what is wrong with your husband??

Asked my sister about her horror stories working in the food industry, she would only tell me about the time she got pinned to a wall by a gypsy boy who didn't realise gypsy customs don't work so good outside of gypsy society. She kneed him in the balls and carried on working while his family hooted at him.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Maybe it's a "man" thing, like how men do dishes by filling up the sink to the very top and dumping the greasiest loving pan in first on top of all the delicate stuff. Then they wash everything else in the same grease water that's quickly going cold, never wondering why everything they're washing dries greasier and dirtier than when they started.

I am a man and do dishes by hand, soaping everything first and then rinsing everything in running water. I have a dishwasher that I use as a dish rack.

Apparently this is an Asian thing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

He is a strange one. His reasoning is "Why dirty a dish when it's already in a perfectly good container?"

That incident definitely put a stop to that practice, however.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
When I was working in a deli, I was a dumbass who decided to flick a chunk of turkey off the slicer while the blade was spinning before loading on another loaf. Of course I sliced my finger tip off. I went numb and saw my glove fill up with blood. While in shock , I went to find the other deli employee to tell her I was going to be gone for a bit, and showed her my red hand and forearm.

Of course she continued to serve the customer without cleaning the slicer, or even pretending to.

The old manager was a hoarder, who refused to throw out past-due product (I've learned this is common with delis and bakeries). The genoa salamis would have mold grow on them, at which point she would tell us to spray it with sanitizer and wipe the mold off with paper towel, and put it back in the counter. You see, salami has a casing on it so it's not like the mold is really growing from the meat. Also the casing protects it from chemicals. Also mold doesn't transfer to other products in close proximity.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
i used to work at a grocery store in the produce department when i was about 16. started when i was 15 doing the shopping carts but they thankfully moved me off of that when they found an extremely mentally ill dude to do it for less than minimum wage.

so, the cauliflower comes in boxes with the huge leaves still on, and you have to cut them off so they look nice on the rack. they didn't let me do the cutting until i had been working there for a couple months. i asked why they never let me put out cauliflower and the assistant manager held up his hand to show me a bunch of little scars all along the side of his pinkie finger. then he called over one of the other guys who had been there for years, he holds up his pinkie to show me the same thing. i shake my head like jeez these guys are a bunch of klutzes. so of course, the first time they give me a box of cauliflower to cut, the serrated vegetable knife thats somehow sharper than anything while it's moving goes right through the leaf and through my fingernail and cuts the tip of my pinkie finger halfway off

so i'm standing there in the middle of the store holding my nearly severed fingertip wrapped tightly in my filthy apron desperately hoping none of the produce guys saw that, and i notice it's bleeding really fast. there's a loonie sized circle of blood on the apron and it's getting bigger. i run over to the deli counter and yell that i need help. the only person in the store who has first aid training is the deli manager but honestly i would have been better off with literally anybody else's help.

the first thing they tell me to do is run it under cold water until the bleeding stops. after about 30 seconds of doing that i start to get really lightheaded. i say "uhhh, i think i'm gonna faint." deli manager nods and mumbles something without looking up from the incident report form he's filling out. "yep, totally fainting now, it's happening. i am losing consciousness." no response. some undetermined amount of time later i wake up on the concrete floor with the whole deli staff standing around peering down at me uneasily. "oh god.. he's so white.. he's like, green!" says a younger female employee, who then runs away. my head is pounding and i can barely remember who i am and what a grocery store is, and my shirt is covered in blood, but miraculously finger has stopped bleeding.

i start to get up and suddenly everybody in the store is really concerned about holding me up by the arms and making sure i absolutely can't fall over again. i get lead to the back office. the produce manager is there. "loving cauliflower, eh? hey, you don't look so good." The store owner asks if I'm alright. "I think I have a concussion," I say. He looks back at the produce manager with a kind of "well, what do we do now?" expression. They give me some fruit juice and a form to sign and tell me to go home. I don't know what the form says, but i am too sleepy to care.

gently caress cauliflower

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

He is a strange one. His reasoning is "Why dirty a dish when it's already in a perfectly good container?"

That incident definitely put a stop to that practice, however.

Jesus at least cook it hobo style on a burner if that's the logic.

My worst cut story is from when I was prepping in a banquet hall, my first real cooking job. I was dicing potatoes, picking them up on the knife, and dropping them into a bain marie with water in it in front of my cutting board.

Getting into the rythm and not paying attention, at one point I have the knife just too low, it hits the bain and comes to an abrupt stop, and I slide my hand that was holding the potatoes down the length of the blade. 18 stitches, and I still have a scar almost 10 years later.

Whenever I see someone picking food up off of the cutting board with the sharp end of their knife, I show them my left hand to point out that a bench scraper might be a better choice of tool for that job.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mine is pretty mellow, but I'll say the grease traps smell bad. For sure, its bad. But the worst smell I've ever had to deal with was rotten potatoes. You wouldn't think potatoes would be bad, you'd think maybe tomatoes or eggs or something like that. But no, its potatoes that have gone bad at the bottom of a pallet. Worst smell ever and I'll never forget it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
This isn't really a horror story, but it's pretty mind boggling. It's more in the realm of hosed up customers, too. But it involves food and I feel the need to share my confusion with the world. So I was baking a cake for a birthday today, and I go to get some eggs, and every loving container of eggs at the store is broken except the local brands, which cost twice as much. I don't want to pay eight dollars for some loving eggs, man, but some cocks deliberately went in and poked holes in drat near every god damned mainland egg with a needle or something. What the gently caress is wrong with people. I'm still kind of pissed off about it, but mostly confused.

The cake was delicious and everyone loved it despite the lovely egg situation, I wound up salvaging a bunch of non-hosed eggs from the sabotaged packs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The best part about any kitchen cut is the "and then the glove started filling up with blood" part

There's nothing quite like seeing that

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Jastiger posted:

Mine is pretty mellow, but I'll say the grease traps smell bad. For sure, its bad. But the worst smell I've ever had to deal with was rotten potatoes. You wouldn't think potatoes would be bad, you'd think maybe tomatoes or eggs or something like that. But no, its potatoes that have gone bad at the bottom of a pallet. Worst smell ever and I'll never forget it.

Oh god I forgot about rotten potatoes

Rotten turnips are still worse though

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Broke the tip of a brand new oyster knife in my hand, shattered what was left of it on the floor instead of yelling, went out back and sucked the shard out and spit it into the dumpster then taped up my thumb and finished the night like that.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I grew up in a town with a bizarre, almost cartoonish rich/poor divide and all us poors got to go to semi-high class public school with the rich, because there were no private schools near by. It could be pretty awkward how blatant the favoritism was, the teachers all knew who's parents were who and would treat the kids differently if they didn't come from a well off family, even if they were perfectly good students.

Did we go to the same school? Jeeze.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Novum posted:

Broke the tip of a brand new oyster knife in my hand, shattered what was left of it on the floor instead of yelling, went out back and sucked the shard out and spit it into the dumpster then taped up my thumb and finished the night like that.

I know a good amount of people in the industry, and all of them have learned, usually from painful personal experience, to treat the oyster knife with the utmost respect. This is mainly in Baltimore and DC, so oysters are huge here, with a lot of places doing buck-a-shuck nights and the like. I've heard so many horror stories about people stabbing themselves, usually in front of customers, because they got distracted for a split second. I think only the mandoline has claimed more victims, though the worst I heard was about a guy who pulled a heavy duty wall-mounted hand-cut fries press down on his own hand instead of a potato :gonk:

Speaking of oysters, though, I heard one story of a plate of raw ones getting sent back because there was some kind of aquatic worm attached to it. It had been hiding behind the body when the chef sent it out, and some lady got the surprise of her life. I love raw oysters, but since hearing that, I always move them around a bit with the fork a little before going to town, just in case.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Crow Jane posted:

Speaking of oysters, though, I heard one story of a plate of raw ones getting sent back because there was some kind of aquatic worm attached to it. It had been hiding behind the body when the chef sent it out, and some lady got the surprise of her life. I love raw oysters, but since hearing that, I always move them around a bit with the fork a little before going to town, just in case.

:ohdear: Are raw oysters actually alive or is that something my dad told me to scare me

e: I looked it up and it's true. :smith: What the gently caress.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

cash crab posted:

:ohdear: Are raw oysters actually alive or is that something my dad told me to scare me

e: I looked it up and it's true. :smith: What the gently caress.

They're also delicious

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Decomposing mice have a pretty terrible smell. Hint: never put traps where they're hidden or they might be forgotten about, and then one day you move something and then you throw up.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
On the subject of oysters, one time I opened one and there was a tiny desiccated crab exoskeleton inside where the oyster should have been. Not horrifying, but interesting. A server asked me if he could take it home and he did.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Novum posted:

Slammed an oyster knife into my hand so hard it split the skin a quarter inch deep without breaking the latex glove I was wearing to cover up the little nicks on the side of my thumb, yelled gently caress really loud, then made sure I wasn't bleeding out of the glove and finished the last three oysters for the order while my glove filled up with blood. Took the glove off in the trashcan, washed my hand, and wrapped it up in paper towels and tape and wore a glove the rest of the night.

No shard of anything involved, but there was some sweet yellow fat hanging out of the cut and I have an inch long scar from it.

Phillip K. Dork
May 25, 2011

Doctor Rope

Jastiger posted:

The experience is amplified when said potatos are sealed up in a plastic bag and forgotten in a fridge. They turn into a soupy liquid the color of india ink.

For God's sake, if any of you ever find a bag like this in a fridge DO NOT OPEN THAT BAG.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Novum posted:

On the subject of oysters, one time I opened one and there was a tiny desiccated crab exoskeleton inside where the oyster should have been. Not horrifying, but interesting. A server asked me if he could take it home and he did.

That must have been sort of alarming.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
One time a girl I worked with decided to break a plate in her hand for some reason and cut across her entire palm. We could see inside it down to the bones and somehow we ushered her outside before it actually started bleeding. I still have the video of it gushing out waves of blood on my old phone.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I remember she also took the empty bag out of a box of cooking wine, reinflated it with air, sealed it with a lighter and tried to pop it by jumping on it. That ended with a hole in her chin and a trip to the hospital. She was not a great decision maker.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
I used to be a dishwasher for this country club. It was pretty chill and everyone was pretty alright to hang with, the only problem was really serious staffing issues and a really high turnover rate. Which led to us having only had 3 dishwashers across both full-service restaurants on club property. I was hired on as a part-timer but I ended up working a bit more than full-time hours most of the time. At least I wasn't in school at the time, but man it was rough. Everyone loves 11 hour shifts when you're the only dishwasher for the entire day's service right?

One time our FoH manager tripped and sliced her leg across the metal end of a room divider/shutter sort of thing. It cut right through everything, her pants, and basically all of the muscle on her leg. Bone was very clearly visible, but there wasn't much bleeding, considering. Luckily it wasn't horribly busy that night so one of the three waitresses on the clock could take her to the hospital, but man, I don't think I'll be forgetting that sight. Ever.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

Nuebot posted:

This isn't really a horror story, but it's pretty mind boggling. It's more in the realm of hosed up customers, too. But it involves food and I feel the need to share my confusion with the world. So I was baking a cake for a birthday today, and I go to get some eggs, and every loving container of eggs at the store is broken except the local brands, which cost twice as much. I don't want to pay eight dollars for some loving eggs, man, but some cocks deliberately went in and poked holes in drat near every god damned mainland egg with a needle or something. What the gently caress is wrong with people. I'm still kind of pissed off about it, but mostly confused.

The cake was delicious and everyone loved it despite the lovely egg situation, I wound up salvaging a bunch of non-hosed eggs from the sabotaged packs.

I've met some guys I'm pretty sure would do this just because of how much they hate everything and everyone from outside the islands.

I've never heard the phrase "dirty loving haoles" so much in a 30 minute conversation.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
One time a little kid bolted in front of me when I was crab-walking a 10 gallon stock pot full of very hot fryer oil to the waste oil can. Thankfully it turns out I'm spider man and somehow managed to dodge the little dude without spilling scalding hot oil everywhere, but I don't think I've ever been more immediately terrified in my life. that could have gone so bad

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Why was there a little kid in the kitchen?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Radio Help posted:

One time a little kid bolted in front of me when I was crab-walking a 10 gallon stock pot full of very hot fryer oil to the waste oil can. Thankfully it turns out I'm spider man and somehow managed to dodge the little dude without spilling scalding hot oil everywhere, but I don't think I've ever been more immediately terrified in my life. that could have gone so bad

Xinlum posted:

Why was there a little kid in the kitchen?

This is my question as well, that's pretty obviously not ok.

Although I did see one Restaurant Impossible where the kid would hang out anywhere, and would put his hands in the prepped food and go out and bother people sitting at the tables. Also, the owners changed their baby on the prep table.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Couple of lucky bastards itt whose superiors never brought their kids to work rather than shell out for daycare or a sitter.

To a kid, the kitchen's gotta look like a spaceship. All that stainless steel, all those strange devices, and tons of people in uniforms running around. This lever dumps mashed potatoes on the floor! There might be aliens hiding in this stack of boxes, better knock them over! And oh, over here on the wall is a gun that shoots bubbles! You know, because to save the galaxy you need to spray floor cleaner all over our workstations while we're busy trying to prepare a huge order.

And you can't bitch about him because he's the boss' kid. Just gotta keep re-doing work he ruins and do your best not to attract his attention.

That is, until you bring a gameboy and a box of fresh batteries to work and give him a milk crate to sit on in the corner :smug:

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Radio Help posted:

The better question is why you would be moving and discarding hot fryer oil.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Probably because kitchens are dumb, chaotic places and sometimes they call for dumb, chaotic solutions to problems, which themselves are often quite dumb.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I worked at a local bakery with a good reputation, but once you walk in back the entire place is a disaster. I have a million stories I'll post, but here is a couple to give you an idea of the people I worked with.

The job I had is icing and filling doughnuts, then trying them up and sending them to gas stations and our other store. I was originally hired to work late night and close up on counter, I worked closely with the girl who held my current job. She was unhinged. She listened to the same Rob Zombie CD every day and would spend hours not saying a word, then suddenly scream or tell you some nonsense. Some days she would spend a half hour loudly humping the toilet. Later, I found out she constantly was high on air duster, had driven her car in to a building and had her license taken away. She also had an agreement with some guy that she would get high and pass out and let him gently caress her unconscious body. She then was training me to fill in her job part time and the second day of training she didn't show up. She ODed on air duster and was in the hospital. She was either fired or just not scheduled anymore.

More recently a girl was hired on counter for my old job. She would come in so hosed up on xanax she could hardly function, invite me in to threesomes, one time put her tongue in my mouth with no warning. Then lied about being mouth raped by our coworker, who is a scumbag, but not a rapist.

Our doughnut fryer was a redneck who punched his wife, and is one of those types that doesn't take social cues. He will talk to you for hours about poo poo you don't care about and if you walk away, he will follow you. He also makes up ridiculous stories that are so clearly lies, it hurts. According to him, he's an expert coder and hacker. When I asked him what language he uses to code he say "you know, the standard ones." He once told me, when I was sick, to drink orange juice because it has calcium. I asked him if he meant vitamin C. His response "same thing." He also says he doesn't bring his daughter to the doctor because he claims to be just as smart as one, and it's easier just to check webMD.

I'll have more food servicey stories I'll post later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Jk here's one more.

We had a variable thickness breadslicer that you put the bread in one end and it would push the bread through bringing a blade down at each interval set in the computer. There was a plastic guard that was locked shut until the slicer did its thing to stop idiots from putting their hands in. Well, the sensor for the guard lock was covered up by the managers before I even started working there and we were encouraged to hold the bread as it came through to prevent uneven slices. One of the girls was catching the bread too close to the blade and off came her finger. The first thing our boss did was take off the tape covering the sensor and berated her for not safely slicing the bread. After she was finally allowed to go to the hospital, she was suspended for not following safety measures even though that was how everyone was trained and encouraged to slice the bread. Until this incident, I wasn't even aware the guard locked. We got rid of that slicer altogether.

Edit: and another

One of our bakers was fired for having taken pictures of his dick in the bread. He got evicted from his trailer and left an old cellphone there, his landlord found the cellphone with the pics and tried to extort money from the business by threatening to release them. To this day I'm not entirely sure the pictures even existed. He did claim that he hosed his wife in the office once, since he was there alone overnight.

Ball Tazeman has a new favorite as of 19:13 on Oct 26, 2015

• Locked thread