Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I want to use this:

http://smile.amazon.com/Fintie-Bluetooth-Wireless-Multimedia-Smartphones/dp/B00WFXWKY4/

to control a teleprompter app on an android tablet. I assume this thing shoots keyboard commands. The teleprompter app receives keyboard commands. I'd need to re-map the keys this thing shoots. I assume it shoots system-level keys (volume up/down, track next/prev). Can I make this thing do what I want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
On smoking or more importantly nicotine as commonly ingested.

One difference between nictotine and other stuff (like food and drink), is that nicotine is insanely fast acting. The association one can have with caffeine and headaches is very vague is largely only intellectual because 10-15 minutes between cause and effect is not easily associated. Headaches often spontaneously resolve in that time frame anyway.

Nicotine inhaled happens now, so the training is direct and immediate.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kapalama posted:

On smoking or more importantly nicotine as commonly ingested.

One difference between nictotine and other stuff (like food and drink), is that nicotine is insanely fast acting. The association one can have with caffeine and headaches is very vague is largely only intellectual because 10-15 minutes between cause and effect is not easily associated. Headaches often spontaneously resolve in that time frame anyway.

Nicotine inhaled happens now, so the training is direct and immediate.

They put chemicals that seem "natural" like urea from livestock urine so you're basically freebasing. Cigs like American Spirit that don't do that are noticeably less "pleasurable" because it doesn't hit you as fast.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

They put chemicals that seem "natural" like urea from livestock urine so you're basically freebasing. Cigs like American Spirit that don't do that are noticeably less "pleasurable" because it doesn't hit you as fast.

Are you sure about this? Ecigs have none of that stuff and they're identical in sensation as far as I can tell. Maybe vaping is just the optimal delivery method.

It also sounds like bullshit. Urea is a preservative that helps keep tobacco moist and "flavourful" and probably comes from a lab (ammonia + co2 = urea) when used in cigarettes. That's not to say it doesn't improve nicotine delivery, or that it's sketchy to put chemicals like that in poo poo you consume, I'm just sceptical that this is "freebasing" and that some manufacturers are somehow worse than others.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Are you sure about this? Ecigs have none of that stuff and they're identical in sensation as far as I can tell. Maybe vaping is just the optimal delivery method.

It also sounds like bullshit. Urea is a preservative that helps keep tobacco moist and "flavourful" and probably comes from a lab (ammonia + co2 = urea) when used in cigarettes. That's not to say it doesn't improve nicotine delivery, or that it's sketchy to put chemicals like that in poo poo you consume, I'm just sceptical that this is "freebasing" and that some manufacturers are somehow worse than others.

Look I read about this on the internet but seriously try an additive free Natural American Spirit, it's garbage compared to a marb, or vaping, those chemicals are in there for a reason and apparently they are increasing the levels.

If I've got bad info this won't be the first time but I think I heard it in NPR as well and you can't impugn them, ever. Anyway as scare tactics go, this is a pretty good one. Scared of those American Spirit that is. Rather suck the robot penis.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

Look I read about this on the internet but seriously try an additive free Natural American Spirit, it's garbage compared to a marb, or vaping, those chemicals are in there for a reason and apparently they are increasing the levels.

If I've got bad info this won't be the first time but I think I heard it in NPR as well and you can't impugn them, ever. Anyway as scare tactics go, this is a pretty good one. Scared of those American Spirit that is. Rather suck the robot penis.

So you never actually smoked but are telling people about the perception of smoking different brands?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

baquerd posted:

So you never actually smoked but are telling people about the perception of smoking different brands?

What, no? I still smoke unfortunately. I speak from experience switching between such as camel wides and marb reds to American Spirit. That stuff is probably way healthier and definitely less addictive but there is something lacking in cigs with no additives.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

What, no? I still smoke unfortunately. I speak from experience switching between such as camel wides and marb reds to American Spirit. That stuff is probably way healthier and definitely less addictive but there is something lacking in cigs with no additives.

Try inhaling harder. Seriously, they just have a much harder draw to them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syscall girl posted:

Freak the filter, American Spirits have a really lovely draw.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

Freak the filter, American Spirits have a really lovely draw.

This

OHSU - 2003 posted:

"Since scientists have shown that a drug becomes more addictive when it is delivered to the brain more rapidly," Pankow continued, "free-base nicotine levels in cigarette smoke thus are at the heart of the controversy regarding the tobacco industry's use of additives like ammonia and urea, as well as blending choices in cigarette design." A 1997 Pankow study resulted in the first public-domain report linking ammonia additives with increased free-base nicotine levels.

is what I'm talking about.

And lol, American Spirit is one of the brands listed along with Winston, marb, camels, et al so my bad on that.

This isn't accidental and shouldn't be a secret, imo.

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/news_events/news/2003/07-24-ohsu-researcher-publishe.cfm

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Lawnie posted:

E: ^^^ this dude gets it

A previous poster may have mentioned something about how being a smoker is nearly constantly on your mind. In my experience there's almost always a nagging feeling that I need to go do something, and it only gets worse and more oppressive the longer I go without a cigarette or some other engaging distraction. It's a nearly constant feeling that you need to find some way to get outside to have a smoke sometime in the next hour, which can get very distracting, and troublesome when you really don't have that opportunity.

Haha yeah, it's the worst when you quit too. "Ugh, this sucks that I can't smoke. Oh well, I'll just go chill for a bit, have a smoke and try and put it out of my mind. gently caress, that won't work! Goddammit, I'll just have a smoke and think things over. Motherfucker!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What was the british comedy (may have been sci-fi) show where everybody was killed off in the last episodes/season (presumably) to prevent a show revival?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Red Dwarf maybe? At the end of the sixth series, all of the characters died instead of becoming time-travelling shitlords who regularly had dinner with the Goerings and dined on suckling dolphin, because one of the co-creators wanted to quit the series to pursue other things. They rebooted it anyway 4 years later.

It sucked.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mister Macys posted:

What was the british comedy (may have been sci-fi) show where everybody was killed off in the last episodes/season (presumably) to prevent a show revival?

Black Adder ended with everyone dying.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I can only think of Blackadder too, but it isn't scifi and it wasn't to prevent a revival. (Each season is set in a completely different historical era so it wouldn't matter if anyone died.)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Popcorn posted:

I can only think of Blackadder too, but it isn't scifi and it wasn't to prevent a revival. (Each season is set in a completely different historical era so it wouldn't matter if anyone died.)

No, it wasn't scifi at all but they sure ended it with a bang that sort of made it impossible to film another series.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

syscall girl posted:

No, it wasn't scifi at all but they sure ended it with a bang that sort of made it impossible to film another series.

Uh, without wanting to derail the thread too much... why would that be?

Or do you just mean it was impossible to top?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Popcorn posted:

This is a huge spoiler for the end of that show.

The show was set in World War I. the last scene of the last episode was all the main characters of the show going over the top of their trench into German machine gun fire.

I guess it could be rebooted because of the limited continuity between the series' but it was pretty final in that series.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 26, 2015

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Memento posted:

This is a huge spoiler for the end of that show.

The show was set in World War I. the last scene of the last episode was all the main characters of the show going over the top of their trench into German machine gun fire.

I know. What I mean is, there's no reason they couldn't now make another season set in the 60s, or whatever, because each season is technically a new set of characters descended from the previous set.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Popcorn posted:

I guess because they conclusively killed all the characters, no reason they couldn't come back for
Black Adder V: The Battle of Britain, but they didn't

Kind of wished they had now that I think about it.

Shrugs

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Popcorn posted:

I know. What I mean is, there's no reason they couldn't now make another season set in the 60s, or whatever, because each season is technically a new set of characters descended from the previous set.

Captain Blackadder wasn't married and had no children. Kind of hard to come back from that.... of course that didn't stop them in the specials that were set after it. Continuity be damned, there's comedy to be had.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Captain Blackadder wasn't married and had no children. Kind of hard to come back from that.... of course that didn't stop them in the specials that were set after it. Continuity be damned, there's comedy to be had.

Atkinson had to move on to Mr. Bean :barf:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I mean, sorry but if you like British satire and not garbage clown poo poo for idiots, Mr. Bean was a trash fire.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Christ, smoking. When you do get your fix it's just like a wave of intense relaxation rolling down your spine and through your body. I've been quit for about 4 years now (barring 2 single-cig relapses at my last lovely job) and I still get cravings every now and then.

I used to go out for a smoke when I couldn't sleep, it helped settle my mind so I didn't just stare at the ceiling alone with my thoughts for hours on end. I still get the urge whenever I can't sleep these days.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Memento posted:

Captain Blackadder wasn't married and had no children.

Pretty sure the first Black Adder died childless too. And I think everyone died in second series. The prince regent dies in the third series but Hugh Laurie's still in the fourth.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Blake's 7 is another British sci-fi that had everyone dying at the end

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

Christ, smoking. When you do get your fix it's just like a wave of intense relaxation rolling down your spine and through your body. I've been quit for about 4 years now (barring 2 single-cig relapses at my last lovely job) and I still get cravings every now and then.

I used to go out for a smoke when I couldn't sleep, it helped settle my mind so I didn't just stare at the ceiling alone with my thoughts for hours on end. I still get the urge whenever I can't sleep these days.

Congrats on quitting.

I made it through 2011/2012 vaping and several odd months of cold turkey since then.

:tipshat:

Now I'm on the twice a day cigarillo (walk or bike to the store) program.

It uh, isn't really working but I envy real quitters.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks for the smoking stories, everyone. I have to say, I'm really glad I never started smoking, not just because of the health risks but because I already find my need for caffeine interrupts my life enough as it is.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

I mean, sorry but if you like British satire and not garbage clown poo poo for idiots, Mr. Bean was a trash fire.

This is absolutely correct. Don't apologise for being right.

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax
This should be fun: I'm 26, college-educated, have about 75k saved up, and want to quit my job and start new somewhere. Maybe buy a house somewhere and get roommates and just completely start a new. I have American and European citizenship and I'd like to avoid major metropolitan areas. With only this information, where would you suggest?

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
People do that all the time, you just have more savings than most. I mean if your idea is "move somewhere and get a couple roommates", may I suggest anywhere ever? You gotta be more specific. (I'm not trying to be lovely, I know what you mean, but one person might love the idea of an off-the-grid hut on a Pacific island, while another might hate that and want to try a year in Prague, while another might hate that and want to live in a Vermont hippie commune, and so on and so on).

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Someone I worked with said 10 years after they last quit smoking they still went home and dreamed about having a cigarette, as opposed to having daydreams about being rich or whatever.

Addiction is a bitch in general, because recreational/social drugs actually work, but smoking is probably the worst of all.

Addiction to something that works like nicotine does, gives instant feedback, and only has really, really long term drawbacks makes it almost unbelievably difficult to imagine how someone could ever quit. I guess enormous social pressure can do its part, but making sure no ever starts really the only long-term, effective solution, it seems.

For those who can quit, congratulations. "They" say that quitting chewing tobacco is harder but I know a bunch of people who dipped for years and managed to quit on a dime when they went to a place where they could not find it. The only real problem with stopping is that the regular morning "put in a dip and take a dump" kind of goes away replaced by having to poop at some random time in the morning.

Regular fIrst thing morning dumps = the actual reason for dipping, apparently.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kapalama posted:

Blake's 7 is another British sci-fi that had everyone dying at the end

My money is on this.

Not only did they kill all the characters from the current series; they also brought back characters that we thought had been written out, just to make sure that absolutely everybody was dead.

I am surprised they didn't set fire to the sets in the last scene, just to make sure.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy also killed off everyone in the last book - but we'd all given up caring about them three books previously, so they were effectively dead anyway.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kapalama posted:

Someone I worked with said 10 years after they last quit smoking they still went home and dreamed about having a cigarette, as opposed to having daydreams about being rich or whatever.

I quit 15 years ago and very occasionally - like maybe 2-3 times a year - I get that feeling of "poo poo, I could murder a cigarette right now".

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I really don't feel like smoking anymore after 3 years of quiting, one year and a half of those taking lozenges and 1 year more on tic-tacs (that kind of tasted the same but no nicotine of course) except maybe for the 5 or 6 occasions when I dreamed I was smoking and felt really guilty to be back at smoking before fully waking up. Oh and the dreams were mostly textbook falling out of the wagon: I would make a excuse for myself to smoke just one cigarette and later just one pack.
I still smoke tobacco on occasion when it's my friend's hookah with some peach tasting tobacco.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Popcorn posted:

You're correct because Blackadder Back & Forth is set in modern times iirc. Rather than as a cut and burn end to the series, it was more of a poignant reflection on WW1 imo. Blackadder dies in all the series except the 3rd, so it wasn't a massive departure from form.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Jeza posted:

Blackadder Back & Forth

There are things of which man is not meant to speak.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

trigonsareNOThomo posted:

This should be fun: I'm 26, college-educated, have about 75k saved up, and want to quit my job and start new somewhere. Maybe buy a house somewhere and get roommates and just completely start a new. I have American and European citizenship and I'd like to avoid major metropolitan areas. With only this information, where would you suggest?

Norway or sweden.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is there a technique for using an electric shaver? I've recently started using one and it seems to miss random patches on my face that I have to tidy up with a regular razor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

trigonsareNOThomo posted:

$75k is a lot of coin and more than most people save in a lifetime. Go blow $10k on hopping from hostel to hostel and invest the rest. Keep saving. Retire at 45 and instead of having 2 years of playtime when you're 26, have 30 years of playtime when you're 45.