Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The second one fits well with how he presents himself. The first one...not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

Jeb! It connotes craven pandering to the religious right.

If the greatest political crisis of his career is failing to be nominated for President, dude needs the reality check.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

There are three black people total in these ads, and one of them is Ben Carson and the other is his wife. It had to be a deliberate choice to include three smiling blonde kids in the first video, when Csrson says "protect our children."

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

blue squares posted:

There are three black people total in these ads, and one of them is Ben Carson and the other is his wife. It had to be a deliberate choice to include three smiling blonde kids in the first video, when Csrson says "protect our children."

BAM! Right there, 4 black people! Looks like you're the racist!

Doesn't change the fact that Carson has about as much energy as the bunny that doesn't have the energizer battery in it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paranoid randroid posted:

oh cool jebs one of those dickheads that spams up everyones inboxes so he can tell one guy to keep him looped in

He's the guy that types out an email to tell everyone to please not use Reply All because it's spamming everyone's inboxes, then hits Reply All.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 22, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
jeb turns on receipts for every email he sends

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

blue squares posted:

Of course it is. Why put black people in his ads when black people aren't about to vote for him and it would just freak out the whites that his campaign has been able to attract?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Heal, inspire, revive is a really loving smart slogan for him

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You can actually read all of Jeb!'s emails from his time as Governor at http://jebemails.com

They have removed all the personal information from his constituents like SSNs and medical history that were there went that site first went up.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

paranoid randroid posted:

jeb turns on receipts for every email he sends

Those people are the worst and I avoid even opening anything they send.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Obviously, all of Jeb!'s emails are flagged as important so the red ! appears next to them in Outlook.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Ben Carson 2016: I'M A DOCTOR, M.D.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Jeb! on Twitter posted:

When I was Governor, a clock sat on my desk counting down the minutes I had left to serve the people of Florida.

https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/658631911166771200

He really doesn't want to be president, does he?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 22, 2016

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Awhile back I mentioned Haiti in comparison with our silly season, since it doesn't really deserve a thread but you guys might find it of interest. Haiti had over 50 candidates running for president and their presidential debates (which only included 5-10 candidates) took place at the State Department in DC and in South Florida. So here's an update on that. Well, their election day (first round) was yesterday, and they still had 54 candidates on the ballot. Polling has been a shambles so no one knows who is the frontrunner, if there even is one. Their have been numerous accusations of ballot box-stuffing and the like, including one accusation of ballots being burned. Political parties are allowed to send monitors to polling stations in order to prevent fraud, which sounds great in theory until you realize that there are 120 political parties in Haiti, and these representatives argued with and even fought each other more than they did any real observing.

The 2nd round, which is a run-off between the top 2 vote-getters, is in late December!

JosephWongKS posted:

Despite his history in Florida, Bible-thumping does not come naturally to Bush. Accused by Trump of lacking energy, he has taken to thumping a fist into his hand for emphasis.

“Excuse me,” he said, apologetically, to a startled woman in the front row at Regent on Friday.
That is such a lovely detail, props to the author

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

president jeb sets a countdown for all meetings, including summits with world leaders and once the time is up he leaves immediately regardless of circumstances and if his staffers try to get him to stay he gets very tantrumy

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
He's busy thinking about all the other cool stuff he could be doing if he weren't president, like

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i didnt realize he turned down an invitation to the values summit. he really did think he could skate through the primaries without indulging in the red meat tossing that could have shadowed him during the election, didnt he?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Jeb Bush posted:

Aw geez, come on, somebody, please, will ya?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

This article leads me to believe that Rubio won't be the nominee because he can't even handle senate bullshit for the course of the campaign.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2015/10/25/28cfaff0-6d59-11e5-9bfe-e59f5e244f92_story.html

But if he doesn't win, and Jeb eventually gives up who the hell would win? Not Trump, ha. Kasich? Christie? Huckabee/Cruz?

I don't know, I truly think Trump has no chance of winning the nomination and I can't wait to see how things play out from here.

This is from a few pages back, but I think this sequence is really telling:

quote:

In the speech, he asked the Senate to pass a bill that would give Department of Veterans Affairs leaders more power to remove poor-performing employees. But it didn’t happen. To pass something so suddenly, Senate rules required that every single senator agree. A Democrat, Sen. Richard Blumenthal (Conn.), objected that Rubio’s bill did not allow workers due process.

“Unfortunately, we will not be able to move forward on this today, it appears,” Rubio said, as his gambit failed. With that, he was done for the week, missing the next three votes.

Reading the article, you see that Rubio is basically annoyed that the Senate moves slowly - committees, negotiation, you know, the process of how the Senate works. So he shows up one day, proposes a bill that will literally need unanimous support, and when that predictably doesn't work he just leaves again. I still think he's got a shot at the nomination because he's done a good job keeping his foot out of his mouth, but lord, what a little shitbird.

It's also probably not a coincidence that by early October Rubio had missed the most Senate votes - with 59 - and runner-up Ted Cruz had missed 57. (Bernie, by contrast, had missed 7; House Republicans are calling a committee to investigate why Hillary has missed all of her votes.)

Xenophon fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 26, 2015

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I was at the Trump rally in NH this morning and one of his opening attacks on Jeb! was how George W. didn't keep the troops safe in Iraq by not deploying Humvees armored to withstand IEDs. He followed up with how we got nothing out of the Iraq War (Trump would have taken the oil at least, not let the Chinese grab it all for free!) and shouldn't have invaded anyway because Iraq had no nuclear weapons. How the fall of Saddam has allowed the rise of ISIS and let Iran expand its power across the region.

This all to several rounds of thunderous applause.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Of course, Rubio's name is at the top of a major piece of bi-partisan Senate legislation that passed in the 112th Congress and is generally regarded as a significant accomplishment. It got him on the cover of a bunch of magazines and called the "Republican savior".

Unfortunately, he's decided to pretend this never happened.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

OhFunny posted:

I was at the Trump rally in NH this morning and one of his opening attacks on Jeb! was how George W. didn't keep the troops safe in Iraq by not deploying Humvees armored to withstand IEDs. He followed up with how we got nothing out of the Iraq War (Trump would have taken the oil at least, not let the Chinese grab it all for free!) and shouldn't have invaded anyway because Iraq had no nuclear weapons. How the fall of Saddam has allowed the rise of ISIS and let Iran expand its power across the region.

what the gently caress

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

OhFunny posted:

Trump has given them a safe way to hate on the Iraq war. This is exactly why he is so loving dangerous and why he stands a much better chance of being the nominee than people think.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Of course, Rubio's name is at the top of a major piece of bi-partisan Senate legislation that passed in the 112th Congress and is generally regarded as a significant accomplishment. It got him on the cover of a bunch of magazines and called the "Republican savior".

Unfortunately, he's decided to pretend this never happened.

Do you think if he did get the nomination he would be able to flip-flop back to supporting it for the general, or would he get eviscerated for such blatant pandering? Genuinely curious.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Xenophon posted:

old white ladies support Ben Carson, you say?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

OhFunny posted:

hes right

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

OhFunny posted:

None of this is really inaccurate. Soldiers had to outfit their HMMWVs with improvised undercarriage armor because they weren't fit to withstand IED blast. And as a result, Rumsfeld's comment that "you go to war with the army you have..."

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenophon posted:

Do you think if he did get the nomination he would be able to flip-flop back to supporting it for the general, or would he get eviscerated for such blatant pandering? Genuinely curious.

Why would he flip-flop at all? "The war gave us nothing but debt and a bunch of dead or wounded soldiers" is not a tough sell.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
if trump breaks kayfabe any harder, we're gonna be able to see the strings holding ted cruz's ego up

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Xenophon posted:

I think he'd stick with the "no amnesty ever and no reform until we secure the border" party line.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

I think he'd stick with the "no amnesty ever and no reform until we secure the border" party line.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Thanks.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Or else the black men will get them. Or something. :confuoot:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

well the second ad is alright but holy poo poo that first one, it's like an instructional video on swamps to an ESL class

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mister Carson, your position on swamps is problematic to me. I like many Americans enjoy Duck Dynasty and you may be aware swamps are an essential habitat for ducks. This is not just some liberal BS—I can see the commercials for wetlands preservation every Sunday morning when I watch my church programs. Why do you want to destroy the wetlands and end Duck Dynasty?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

spacemang_spliff posted:

I just remembered that Andrew Sullivan doesn't blog anymore.

I wish he still did because we'd see him have to make a choice between republicans or a clinton. fuuuuck that would be great to see

Sullivan was on Maher's show a few weeks ago, and he still seems to hate Clinton with a the fury of a thousand suns. Seriously, he came across as unhinged when the topic shifted to the Hildebeast.

So my guess is he would twist himself into a thousand knots to justify voting for one of the many Republican candidates who would deny him the right to marry or any other type of spousal-like benefits.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

I dunno; in my head it comes across like those Half-Life 2 background announcements you hear from the Overwatch Voice in City 17.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

richardfun posted:

Sullivan was on Maher's show a few weeks ago, and he still seems to hate Clinton with a the fury of a thousand suns. Seriously, he came across as unhinged when the topic shifted to the Hildebeast.

The trick is that Andrew Sullivan only cares about things that directly affect Andrew Sullivan and the Clinton's don't have a great record on those issues.

• Locked thread