Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Selecta84 posted:

I see. So I don't really need to get Maria (but I said that about a lot of games in the last months :homebrew:) Churchill should be enough as my 3P wargame then.

Thanks guys.

That's the exact opposite of what we're saying. You definitely should get both. (and also look into the COIN series for your 4p alternative to Friedrich).

e: oh wait you already have fitl and cl, nevermind.

kalthir fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

kalthir posted:

That's the exact opposite of what we're saying. You definitely should get both. (and also look into the COIN series for your 4p alternative to Friedrich).

I already have Cuba Libre (although it took like 4 months of searching in several online shops to get an new copy for a reasonable price) and Fire in the Lake :smug:

But I almost never get to play them with my group cause they are not really into wargames :(

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 26, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Valiant Pudding posted:

It's probably been talked about when the kickstarter first launched, but what's SA's opinion on the 7th Continent?

I don't know about SA's opinion, but my opinion having seen it is that it's complete poo poo. You'll play it once.

Fat Samurai, I summarised Ta-Seti a few pages ago.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jedit posted:

I don't know about SA's opinion, but my opinion having seen it is that it's complete poo poo. You'll play it once.

Fat Samurai, I summarised Ta-Seti a few pages ago.

Thanks, I must have skipped that.

Why does everything by Matagog have such a gargantuan box?

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Selecta84 posted:

But I almost never get to play them with my group cause they are not really into wargames :(

Not to be a downer, but won't you encounter the same problem with Friedrich/Maria?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

kalthir posted:

Not to be a downer, but won't you encounter the same problem with Friedrich/Maria?

That's why I think Churchill will be enough for a 3P type of wargame in my collection. And the Coin games should make Friedrich obsolete. I just saw that game for a reasonable price and was just curious if it is any good.

Or we are talking past each other

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Maria is well worth geting and is much more of a wargame than Churchill

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Selecta84 posted:

That's why I think Churchill will be enough for a 3P type of wargame in my collection. And the Coin games should make Friedrich obsolete. I just saw that game for a reasonable price and was just curious if it is any good.

Or we are talking past each other

Ok yeah, I thought you were looking at Friedrich/Maria as an alternative to the games your group doesn't wasn't into and just wanted to point out that they probably wouldn't be into Friedrich/Maria either.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

kalthir posted:

Ok yeah, I thought you were looking at Friedrich/Maria as an alternative to the games your group doesn't wasn't into and just wanted to point out that they probably wouldn't be into Friedrich/Maria either.

Yeah, that's about it. Just wanted to know if they are good. Not as an alternative for my group. I just like to buy new games atm regardsless if my group likes them or not. Maybe someday they will. Well at least Churchchill and the COIN games can be played solo.

Tekopo posted:

Maria is well worth geting and is much more of a wargame than Churchill

Hm... I have to take a closer look at that one when I get back home.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'd say Friedrich is simpler than Churchill, while Maria is kinda on par (this includes Churchill's messy scoring and poo poo). Both are simpler than COIN, which is a whirlwind of faction-unique actions, that can be combined with some, but not all actions and poo poo.

Just buy all of them already.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 26, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Also get a new gaming group and buy Diskwars.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Speaking of COIN is Liberty or Death out yet? It's the first COIN game I don't care about getting off the bat since i'm not very interested in the American Revolution, but I was wondering if anyone had given it a shot yet or was intending to get it.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Speaking of COIN is Liberty or Death out yet? It's the first COIN game I don't care about getting off the bat since i'm not very interested in the American Revolution, but I was wondering if anyone had given it a shot yet or was intending to get it.

Planned for December. Gonna get it because of crippling ocd.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Liberty or Death exists to tease that the Good Upcoming Game Falling Sky will have a pretty map.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lichtenstein posted:

Also get a new gaming group and buy Diskwars.

Funny thing is that most of them are Warhammer (both 40k and Fantasy) players so that one could work. But they are still not very fond of playing proper wargames...

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Then legit buy Diskwars and blow their minds with a Warhammer Fantasy that works mostly without dice, has good mechanics along with actual tactics and ends in a loving hour.

Foot in the door.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I always wanted to try Diskwars.
The problem I have with regular Warhammer atm is that the preparation and the ong playing time are just not worth the effort for me. It didn't bother me that much when I started but now that I play more and more board games it just annoys me.

There is a starter box and 2 epansions, right?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yes. Like most FFG collectibles, you eventually want a second copy of the core box, but thankfully there's very little wasted content in the second box. Second ruler and dice set are massive quality of life improvements, second set of command cards if loving GREAT (you don't have to argue for/proxy some neutrals both players need). The only thing that's really superfluous is the amount of damage and focus tokens you eventually get.

Please note it requires a 3x3" playing space, which - if you're not experienced with seeking space for minis, xwangs etc - is surprisingly big for most tables' shorter axis.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

a 3x3" playing space

Wow, that's tinier than I thought it'd be!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lichtenstein confirmed to be a gnome or Sprite or something

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lichtenstein posted:

Then legit buy Diskwars

I just legit bought it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Selecta84 posted:

I just legit bought it.

Great! Now:

A) Take a look at this post four pages ago to have a good first game experience.
B) you are bound to join us in bitching at the fact the Skaven expansion will probably never come out.

Tekopo posted:

Lichtenstein confirmed to be a gnome or Sprite or something

I like to think of myself as more of a 7 Up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lichtenstein posted:

Keep your fetishes out of the board game thread, please.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lichtenstein posted:

Great! Now:
A) Take a look at this post four pages ago to have a good first game experience.
B) you are bound to join us in bitching at the fact the Skaven expansion will probably never come out.

Do all the armies have the same number of troops available with the two expansions? Or do any of the armies have a wider selection?

Edit: Are the games 1v1 or are larger games possible like 2v2 or 1v1v1v1?

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 26, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

All these pop culture references.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Bottom Liner posted:

What did you think of Blood Rage and Myst?

Mysterium I've played a lot (this is like my 40th game) and it remains really good.

Blood Rage is strange, but I enjoyed it. Cool Mini or Not is known for being super designer-dependent as far as how their boardgames go, but Blood Rage is by Eric Lang and he definitely pulled some ideas from Chaos in the Old World and some from his old Midgard game, though it's changed quite a bit. Your goal is to score the most VP by running around the map and murdering the poo poo out of your opponents (or being sneaky with other characters!) and claiming certain areas depending on the cards you draft at the beginning of each of three rounds. Each clan has 3 stats that matter:

- Rage, which determines how many actions you can take - it starts at 6 and can be bumped up to 12 if you upgrade it enough times. Deploying a unit onto the map costs rage equal to its strength unless it's a leader (which you only get 1 of) or the first time you deploy a monster you drafted. Moving costs 1 Rage to move any number of guys. Playing Upgrade cards to buff your stats costs between 0 and 4 rage depending on the card. When you're out of Rage you are forced to pass, can't even take free actions other than responding to other players, which is super important

- Axes, which give you VP for winning battles. Starts out at 3, goes up to 8. If Loki and Frigga are running around being assholes these are really important because the two of them often want to lose battles which means easy VP but since they tax you for winning you need enough horns to offset that. In the game I went very heavy into axes.

- Horns, which let you deploy extra units. Units are kinda expensive and die easily, but some strategies will generate a lot of them and if you can send 'em out on the cheap it's extremely helpful. 4 units is too few and 10 is probably too many, but you get a pile of VP for maxing it and I can see 10 being good for the big fight in the center of the board.

Every round people draft from a number of cards (8 for 2-4P, 7 for 5p), which you are going to use for the round. There are 3 types of cards:

- Upgrade cards, which buff your Clan/Warriors/Leaders/Mystics/Ships in some way. Warrior upgrades make your basic units stronger, Leader upgrades give you rewards for winning fights, Mystic upgrades get you elite unites, and Ship upgrades get you lots of points when your ships are destroyed. You get 3 Clan Upgrade slots and 1 slot for everything else. Monster Upgrade cards, which you have 2 slots for, get you some extra-fancy elite units that pop onto the board immediately and give you extra strength and a strong special ability - ranging from a 2-strength dude who is free to upgrade and deploy to a 4-strength beast that instant-kills everyone in the area he spawns.

- Quest cards, which are objectives to complete. Quests generally either want you to have the most strength in one of the 4 zones on the board (each of which is subdivided into 2 or 3 territories) or to have a bunch of guys die in battle that turn, and reward you with decent VP and a stat upgrade. I almost entirely ignored quests, instead focusing on combat VP. Second place went very heavily into quests, and third place went a bit into quests and heavily into boats...

- Combat cards, which let you fight. Each of the 6 gods (Thor, Odin, Heimdall, Loki, Frigga, Tyr) has combat cards that correspond to their style. Thor gives you rewards and cancels other people's cards, Odin kills enemy units to equalize the battle, Heimdall is sneaky and can either wipe all cards or be played after-the-fact to buff strength, Loki gives rewards for losing battles, Frigga gives smaller bonuses to win but boosts the reward if you do win, and Tyr just has big strength bonus numbers. Combat is very simple - everyone compares the strength of their units in the area (and players can move guys in before combat if there's room, which makes the map surprisingly small), plays a combat card facedown, flips them all up. Highest strength wins and discards their played card, losers get all their units in the area destroyed and keep their played card (Loki is a Big Goddamned Fan of this). Most areas have a cap of 3-5 units + boats (which are very limited), with the exception being Yggdrasil in the middle of the board which is worth a ton if you manage to win a fight over it. Anyone can play an Upgrade or Quest card in combat, and might have to if they're out of other cards, which is worth +0 strength and still gets discarded if you win.

The cool thing is why you would want combat, actually. FIghts only happen when someone tries to pillage a spot, which gives them +1 to the stat shown on that spot - Rage, Horns, Axes, 5VP in one area, and Rage+Horns+Axes in Yggdrasil because goddamn Yggdrasil. In clockwise order starting with the next player, anyone with guys in an adjacent area can move those people in one at a time until the pillaged spot is at its unit cap (ABCD, A pillages, B gets to move 1 C gets to move 1 D gets to move 1 A gets to move 1 B gets to move 1, etc) and then you play a card and do a little math. There are 9 spots on the board, and each round 1 of them is permanently blown up so it's down to 7 spots - the round immediately ends when all 7 get pillaged and each one can only be pillaged once. If the pillager wins they get the bonus (and points for their axes), if the defender wins they just get axe points and stop the pillaging plus nuke everyone else's units (but they lose a card). So unless you're looking for VP, if you want to pillage you're heavily encouraged to start it on your turn before someone else does but you might want to try and fill the unit cap first. Units can be deployed anywhere except Yggdrasil assuming there's an open spot and can move from any spot to any other spot by spending an action and 1 rage to link the two for a movement (can shift as many movements as you want), so the board is really small.

End of round some spot blows up (you know where it is but there's a monster that can change it), people get VP for each unit in that spot that died, people score their quests if they've got 'em (and the quest-VP-doubler if they managed to get that in the final round), end of game people score 0-60VP depending on their upgrades, and that's that.

There's a lot to like about it, and a few awkward things. The game is very fast-paced, with everyone constantly fighting for a couple spots and with units constantly getting blown up. Combos between your cards are a big deal, and that means it can be important to hatedraft stuff or the interaction starts feeling really weird. Strategies like Loki are very hard to stop because there are only 2 cards in the deck that actually kill the loser's combat card but you can beat them by getting enough axes that the 2-VP loss is minimized. For strategies like boats you can get a ton of points (though you only get 1 boat a round without shenanigans) except you need to lose battles and that's not necessarily an easy job if people are trying to make you win. A lot of the game is trying to claw out combos, grab a couple battle cards, and spend whatever picks you have left on quests or a cool monster every so often. Also there's a ton of low-investment combat and the occasional crazy huge Yggdrasil fight, so people don't really feel bad about dick moves or blowing up someone's stuff and you've kinda accepted a lot of your units are going to die. I went into a strategy where I had 2 weak but almost-unkillable units that spawned more weak units whenever they were forced out of a territory, then a card that stole 2VP from the winner of any battle I was in and rode that to a win...but I needed to combine it with drafting some combat and some big Yggdrasil fights when other people were out of position. Boats player would have won but he stacked too much boat-power in one area (5 strength is pretty significant) and the player with Fenrir managed to steal away the Ragnarok token to grab 10VP and prevent the boat player from detonating for 30 or so. There's a little bit of kingmaking, but not much (sometimes you can cause a 4VP swing at Ragnarok territory) and it's possible to fall really far behind if you can't get a strong card combo but if you're really far behind the only time you'll be able to kingmake is by jumping into a huge battle with a strong Heimdall, Odin, or Tyr card. And usually there's good justification for making the play because it helps you, so it's not like someone is out of the game and just choosing the victor (I guess you could jump into a battle and kill a bunch of units of someone who wants to die?) unless they've really screwed up their midgame.

Other nice bonus: 5-player game, 3 new players, took a little under 2 hours. Went very quick for this sort of game even with a bit of AP. Definitely interested in playing it more

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The core set factions are generally slightly bigger by virtue of units being doubled across the two boxes and getting a bit extra stuff for themselves in the expansion boxes. Expansion factions theoretically could run into limitations in duplicates of bigger disks, but it never really came up in practice for me (especially given some particular faction mechanics - for a much cheaper point costs the Dwarves can get engineers giving extra actions to their big guns, and Vampire Counts can revive dead big-rear end dragons). The only cases that come to my mind are some extremely gimmicky builds (like double suicide goblin catapult), which are silly enough no-one will mind a proxy.

Note that the expansions teased four factions meant to be properly introduced in an expansion of their own (lizardmen, wood elves, dark elves and skaven), so they only get a leader, two unit types and a unique command card so you can slot them into some other faction's army. Alas, the chance of ever getting these future expansions is very slim, as the game did apparently not sell too well.

Lizardmen and Wood elves are pretty cool for what little they've got. Skaven and Dark Elves are cool, but in need of some further support.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lichtenstein posted:

The core set factions are generally slightly bigger by virtue of units being doubled across the two boxes and getting a bit extra stuff for themselves in the expansion boxes. Expansion factions theoretically could run into limitations in duplicates of bigger disks, but it never really came up in practice for me (especially given some particular faction mechanics - for a much cheaper point costs the Dwarves can get engineers giving extra actions to their big guns, and Vampire Counts can revive dead big-rear end dragons). The only cases that come to my mind are some extremely gimmicky builds (like double suicide goblin catapult), which are silly enough no-one will mind a proxy.

Note that the expansions teased four factions meant to be properly introduced in an expansion of their own (lizardmen, wood elves, dark elves and skaven), so they only get a leader, two unit types and a unique command card so you can slot them into some other faction's army. Alas, the chance of ever getting these future expansions is very slim, as the game did apparently not sell too well.

Lizardmen and Wood elves are pretty cool for what little they've got. Skaven and Dark Elves are cool, but in need of some further support.

I see. Yeah, should not be that much of a problem. I only bought 1 starter box to see if I like it and if my group likes it. We have our game night next week and I should be able to get it on the table.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Selecta84 posted:

My playgroup atm consits of 4 people (including me). So Friedrich seemed like the better fit.

I have Churchill for a 3P wargame (which I still have to get on the table...) And Nuklear Winter 68 which can be played with 3 and could be a bit more interesting for my group theme wise.

Maybe Maria isn't as difficult as Churchill? So Churchill could be a step up from Maria.

Get NT, play 2v2, 4 player wargame problem solved.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Yeah, right.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to an all day Star Wars party in November, and was considering getting Loopin' Chewie or the occasion. I watched some gameplay videos of Loopin' Louie online, and wasn't blown away by it - the action on the center contraption seems really stiff. Is it actually worth getting, or does the novelty wear off?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

silvergoose posted:

Get NT, play 2v2, 4 player wargame problem solved.

No thanks. I already have the superior (cause it's smaller, cheaper and it doesn't hurt as much when I think about not getting to play it) Napoleon game W1815. And playing it 2v2 should also be no problem.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

I'm going to an all day Star Wars party in November, and was considering getting Loopin' Chewie or the occasion. I watched some gameplay videos of Loopin' Louie online, and wasn't blown away by it - the action on the center contraption seems really stiff. Is it actually worth getting, or does the novelty wear off?

It's a fun game (or at least Loopin' Louie is, I haven't tried Chewie), and while it would suck to play for hours, it's worth getting out every once in a while, especially with beer. It's a children's game at heart, so there's a lot of random chance to it, but it's Fun™!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Pfft, as if anyone would make a film about goons.

Played Lords of Waterdeep and Castles of Mad King Ludwig for the first time yesterday. Lords of Waterdeep was fun but not too special; on the plus side, the guy in fourth place came from behind in round 8 to win by about 20 points, but on the other side it seems a bit easy to lock people out of any quests at all, especially with the caster supremacy, although we didn't. Castles was less fun but seemed like a better and more interesting game, although unfortunately I wasn't really feeling it by then. Will definitely try it again, but checking out other peoples' castles was a bit of a nuisance, especially when they were at the other end of the table.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

sector_corrector posted:

I brought Loopin' Chewie to a game day with 6 adults who had brought a handful of kids among the group of them. It was both the game that the adults played the most (we'd get in 2-3 rounds in between heavier games) as well as the game the kids played the most (non-stop for like 3 hours).

It was also perfect for playing with a mix of adults and kids, as there's nothing complex to grasp, but figuring out the dexterity element remains entertaining even with kids.

Also, getting beaten by a 5-year-old is hilarious.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Has anyone else tried Pandemic Legacy yet? I did the first two months with my fiancé, and so far it's incredible. I'm not spoiling anything below, but I do discuss stuff from the starting rule book, so skip this if you don't want to know anything.

It's amazing how much the Legacy conceit revitalizes the game. Instead of just having to worry about the eight outbreaks, now there's an additional tension in the panic levels. Each time a city has an outbreak, its panic level permanently goes up by one. So each potential outbreak has long lasting consequences that you've got to consider - is it worth it letting Khartoum fall into riots forever if you cure the Blue disease for the month? On top of that, each player character can be permanently upgraded or permanently scarred. If a character would get a third scar (usually from being in a city during an outbreak), they are "lost," and you tear up their character card. It gives a lot more weight to every decision, and is so rewarding. After three games (a loss and two wins), my fiancé and I had to restrain ourselves from setting it up a fourth time.

Finally, I'm going to vaguely mention the legacy deck. We've looked at the March briefing, and I'm very interested to see how things progress seeing the new [redacted].

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Looks like CGE is looking into what's going on with Tash-Kalar Nethervoid. Wizkids could learn a lot from them.
And I just ordered Dilluvia to throw on my pile of unplayed games because of this thread, so I officially hate you all.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Valiant Pudding posted:

It's probably been talked about when the kickstarter first launched, but what's SA's opinion on the 7th Continent?

I've got higher hopes for replayability than Jedit (thanks to map-size, if nothing else), but wow the Kickstarter exclusives are kinda sleazy. Locking off an entire expansion, plus probably another expansions' worth in additional exclusive context, is some really shady poo poo. "Limited time offer!" says "We don't trust that you'll actually buy this if given enough time to think about it."

I'm in on the $100 gamble, but only because I can probably flip it to recoup costs if it shits the bed.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 26, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

Looks like CGE is looking into what's going on with Tash-Kalar Nethervoid. Wizkids could learn a lot from them.
And I just ordered Dilluvia to throw on my pile of unplayed games because of this thread, so I officially hate you all.
Dilluvia's really good and will probably be my new intro to heavy euros for friends/family because it has a theme that makes 90's kids nostalgic and isn't actually that much more complicated than Caylus. It is heavy only because of the scoring mechanism and the very few actions you get per round by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Has anyone else tried Pandemic Legacy yet? I did the first two months with my fiancé, and so far it's incredible

It'd be pretty hard to get me to play regular Pandemic... but we really enjoyed our first game of Legacy. Everyone was immediately more invested by the "permanent consequence" stuff - and overall it's just super fun to scratch off cards and open little flaps and what not.

I recommend it to anyone for whom the basic value proposition works; playing through the season is going to take 12-24 games, and then you're going to have a strange, vanilla Pandemic game that you aren't going to be able to resell or something. For me, 12-24 games is plenty of value, but it's something to keep in mind.