Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"i don't need a union, i'm a _-~* doctor *~-_ given the power over life and death themselves"

-a doctor, literally murdering somebody on hour 19 of a 30 hour shift

doctors have a union and medical residency is how they keep people out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

im not sure if you are aware but there are about 3 regions to the east coast

there's new england in which people like bad cheating sports teams which runs down from maine to about conneticut, a state with no practical reason to exist except to separate from

new york and the rest of the mid atlantic states

then you have the southern atlantic/southeast of the carolinas, georgia, and florida

all of these states are in fact on the east coast

you know that big long coastal part of the country that touches the atlantic ocean on the eastern edge of the usa

lol everyone is so jealous of Touchdown Tom

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also one of the primary reasons for the long shifts is poor record keeping. if a doc left mid treatment the next doc coming in would probably be missing like 50% of the information they need to treat the patient.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BeOSPOS posted:

are you trying to differentiate between the east coast and New England?

there's people who like to pretend "east coast" only refers to the tri-state area and maybe down to dc if they're feeling generous.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

also one of the primary reasons for the long shifts is poor record keeping. if a doc left mid treatment the next doc coming in would probably be missing like 50% of the information they need to treat the patient.

i'm not sure how "it takes a while to figure out what's going on" translates to "you are assigned to work 28 hours today" but okay sure

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Endless Mike posted:

there's people who like to pretend "east coast" only refers to the tri-state area and maybe down to dc if they're feeling generous.

those people are real dumb

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if you think about it its really all just one big coast man :2bong:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
long shifts maintain the same doc on the same patient for as long as possible to reduce the number of handoffs and thus reduce the amount of data lost. if you switched to 8 hour shifts a patient staying for 24 hours would have 3 different docs and 2 chances for data loss.

if they had better record keeping it wouldn't be a problem and they could go to 8 hour shifts without risks to patient care.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

Nintendo Kid posted:

those people are real dumb

shaggar and fishmech both right!!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

handoff is by far the biggest source of medical error. you would think fatigue would play a larger role in doctors loving up, but many studies have borne out that this isn't the case

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ask me about the hospital that wanted our help in monitoring their critical lab values in order to lower their existing 30% delivery failure rate.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
critical lab values being the subset of all lab results that returned a critical value that affects treatment and delivery failure meaning that the critical value wasn't delivered to a treating physician before the patient was discharged.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shaggar posted:

long shifts maintain the same doc on the same patient for as long as possible to reduce the number of handoffs and thus reduce the amount of data lost. if you switched to 8 hour shifts a patient staying for 24 hours would have 3 different docs and 2 chances for data loss.

if they had better record keeping it wouldn't be a problem and they could go to 8 hour shifts without risks to patient care.

software in the medical field is almost universally terrible due mostly to the barriers to entry and how they're sourced, billed. If you go to a modern hospital, even an excellent one they're still going to be doing things like running some tests on win 98 machines and charging at least a few hundred for the privilege. Someone should fix that, it'd be a good way to make money but it'd be boring. It would be sweet if hospitals had modern systems and doctors with nice tablets and apps, but in a lot of cases they're working with really poor digital tools and paper records.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tl;dr: hospitals are terribly run and providers are the only source of all cost problems in healthcare.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

software in the medical field is almost universally terrible due mostly to the barriers to entry and how they're sourced, billed. If you go to a modern hospital, even an excellent one they're still going to be doing things like running some tests on win 98 machines and charging at least a few hundred for the privilege. Someone should fix that, it'd be a good way to make money but it'd be boring. It would be sweet if hospitals had modern systems and doctors with nice tablets and apps, but in a lot of cases they're working with really poor digital tools and paper records.

lots of them have already paid for modern systems but they don't use them because they aren't required to by hospital policy. for example: a customer of ours wants us to be able to access patient records in their EMR so our nurses on the phone can access the latest patient information. Great. That's a common requirement and there are standards for getting that data in and out of their hospital's EMR. The integration end points are a standard part of the hospitals specific EMR. The hospital is actively using them when transmitting patient data thru their state health info exchange. Great! this must mean we can get access to those standard endpoints to get the data, right?

noooooooppe. The hospital refuses to believe they've already paid for this and wants our 200 nurses to all have accounts in the EMR so they can sign in to them EMR via a citrix like thing and then use the full EMR to find the patient record.

If they would take 5 minutes to send an email to their EMR provider and say "hey, shaggar's company wants to do this integration can you talk to him about getting it done?" we would get it done correctly without costing the hospital anything but they are so loving incompetent that it wont happen.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
one of the things you need to remember when hospital staff talk about EMRs being hard to use or understand is that those people are borderline retarded

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

nah I just deal with pats fans all day

my team is 2-2 against the patriots in the last decade or so

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i also used the s from bullshit :haw:

oh ok, sorry for missing it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

he's the best handegg player of all time, op

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Smythe posted:

my chick in APB had huge knockers and it played the curb your enthusiasm intro when i killed someone. it was epic as hell

cat this_post > things_smythe_finds_epic.rst

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Broken Machine posted:

good software exists. the biggest problem is that ceos and cfos want to see ROI on poo poo and since IT doesn't directly make them money they don't give a gently caress. i've seen hospitals where some nurse who knows how to click through a couple system config wizards is suddenly the primary it person. see hughmorris in the cavern of cobol for living proof of that poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
once they all get pushed out of fee-for-service you're gonna see them do a full about face and anyone not using the EMR correctly gets punted.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

prefect posted:

i would vote trump ahead of any of the other republican candidates, if those were my only options

trump is a literal fascist who seems to be modeling his campaign after it can't happen here

there is no such thing as an irony vote when we're talking about somebody who is literally arguing for genocide

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

yea that's the stated reason - that handoffs are where most medical errors occur

*handwaves away 36 hour surgical shifts*

and yet somehow first world countries handle both of these things just fine

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

one of the things you need to remember when hospital staff talk about EMRs being hard to use or understand is that those people are borderline retarded

i love how hard older doctors fight against EMRs

b/c they're hunt and peck typists and are afraid of the internet

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

handoff is by far the biggest source of medical error. you would think fatigue would play a larger role in doctors loving up, but many studies have borne out that this isn't the case

i like how the typical response to this study is "welp we have to minimize handoffs then" instead of "how can we better communicate patient handoffs"

then again the typical hospital physician probably would respond "modafinil" to both

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

theflyingexecutive posted:

extremely skeptical since these studies are done by the AMA and oh how weird for some reason american doctors die from stress-related illnesses way more often compared to their international peers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yea that's the stated reason - that handoffs are where most medical errors occur

*handwaves away 36 hour surgical shifts*

and yet somehow first world countries handle both of these things just fine

do we know that they do or are they just willing to accept the added risk? Its definitely a real problem that does exist, but:

hobbesmaster posted:

the typical response to this study is "welp we have to minimize handoffs then" instead of "how can we better communicate patient handoffs"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

extremely skeptical since these studies are done by the AMA and oh how weird for some reason american doctors die from stress-related illnesses way more often compared to their international peers

attention and fatigue are really weird things that act counterintuitively

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

so i live on the gulf side of of Florida am i east coast? :ohdear:

redneck Florida or corporate Florida? you're not in international Florida

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

i like how the typical response to this study is "welp we have to minimize handoffs then" instead of "how can we better communicate patient handoffs"

then again the typical hospital physician probably would respond "modafinil" to both

we see the same poo poo in computing tbqh

look at snack homeworkflow by jef fatwood, they have a single point of failure sql server with like a terabyte of ram and 100 cores that cost like $500,000 because they don't want to just eliminate the spof with some goddamn data design and thinking about the cap theorem

the doctor problem can't be solved with longer shifts, it needs critical thinking and industrial engineering work nobody wants to do

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

trump is a literal fascist who seems to be modeling his campaign after it can't happen here

there is no such thing as an irony vote when we're talking about somebody who is literally arguing for genocide

at least he is good at business and a self-made man

oh wait

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

redneck Florida or corporate Florida? you're not in international Florida

uhh corporate? it's Tampa.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uhh corporate? it's Tampa.

judging from being there last week thats peak old people florida

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Panty Saluter posted:

carson is the really scary one

yeah carson has some hosed up opinions but he's a religious soft-spoken "good one" so iowans friggin love him. he's basically black huckabee.

trump kinda owns though for destroying jeb

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

we see the same poo poo in computing tbqh

look at snack homeworkflow by jef fatwood, they have a single point of failure sql server with like a terabyte of ram and 100 cores that cost like $500,000 because they don't want to just eliminate the spof with some goddamn data design and thinking about the cap theorem

the doctor problem can't be solved with longer shifts, it needs critical thinking and industrial engineering work nobody wants to do

sounds like it's still cheaper than hiring people to fix it?

I mean, it seems like they don't do much more than adding new stacks or whatever they're called and that can't be too expensive to hire for

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Elder Postsman posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would be cheaper in the long run to hire people to fix it but hospitals get paid stacks for each service so theres no incentive for them to fix it other than patient care and lol they don't give a poo poo about that.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

a toddler could destroy jeb.

his push-back to trump pointing out that 9/11 occured on dubya's watch is basically "nuh uh" and he has no articulatable answer for why dubya gets a pass on 9/11 but clinton and obama get hammered for the actions of benjamin ghazi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Shaggar posted:

doctors are bad

• Locked thread