Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Radish posted:

They are also slowly realizing that the people that they are electing aren't really able to do what they campaigned on. Representative Dumbfuck isn't going to be able to singlehandedly repeal Obamacare, show that Hillary is the mastermind behind Benghazi, repeal all taxes, and enact Christian theocracy. Just think how disillusioned the average college liberal is about Democrats not being able to do much and look at how little the GOP has been able to accomplish in terms of their far right agenda despite having two of the three branches of government. People are starting to want answers which is why the establishment GOP candidates are floundering to outsiders like Trump and Carlson who are touting their lack of knowledge and expertise as positives.

Nobody in this country has any loving idea how basic government works, which has a feature not a bug for the GOP until now. Maybe they will adjust strategy and start encouraging critical thahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Tender Bender posted:

I don't really get the thing about Hillary's personality, I know politically she isn't great but in both the recent debate and the Benghazi hearing she came across as extremely personable to me.

Because Americans are more likely to vote for someone that reminds them of their senile grandfather, or would be fun to crack a beer and do lines off a toilet seat with than someone who is an effective leader.

This is the country that gleefully watched Reagan deconstruct the middle class (and waxes nostalgic nearly 20yrs after his reign of deregulation :rolleyes:), and re-elected (elected?) W, and blames Obama for the economic woes of the previous 8 years.

Logic doesn't apply here.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tender Bender posted:

I don't really get the thing about Hillary's personality, I know politically she isn't great but in both the recent debate and the Benghazi hearing she came across as extremely personable to me.

She's great off the cuff like at that hearing or at the debates but her prepared statements and speeches (including prepared stuff where you could tell in the debate it has been rehearsed beforehand) is godawful and feels incredibly artificial and forced. Every time she has some over written joke or obvious applause line I Picard forehead.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

greatn posted:

She's great off the cuff like at that hearing or at the debates but her prepared statements and speeches (including prepared stuff where you could tell in the debate it has been rehearsed beforehand) is godawful and feels incredibly artificial and forced. Every time she has some over written joke or obvious applause line I Picard forehead.

It's not off the cuff: Hillary's been deliberately focusing on projecting calm, unflappable confidence (with notes of compassion) by doing little things like speaking more slowly and deliberately, and not raising her voice. It's working brilliantly, but it's been a long time coming as her performances have swung between faster and louder (which apparently triggers people's "shrill harpy" alarms) and, as you mentioned, wooden and artificial.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Tender Bender posted:

She's usually a little stiff in "big moments" -- and this time around her handlers have been much better about not putting her into that situation. It also helps that she's not against Barack, who mastered huge crowds. She's always been better in smaller, more intimate sessions.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

hhhat posted:

I'm kind of old but in decent shape.

My deductible is 1350 annually. Out of pocket max is 3000. After deductible expenses are 80% covered, so I could hit that 3K easily if some poo poo goes down. But yeah being able to drop 1k annually in an account because I keep up with my bloodwork and run when I can means the 3K comes out of that first.

Again, unless there's some fine print with "LOL got you!" somewhere I think maybe my HSA is pretty good. But everyone should read their stuff before signing anyway.

Beanie-weenies? What are you, a homeowner? We eat ramen here, pal.

The minimum deductible for hsa plans is $1300 so you actually have a somewhat decent plan and as long as you have roughly median levels of income should be able to handle the difference. My company's plan is 4K deductible, which could easily wipe out a family's savings instantly.

Also it sounds like you have incentives and matching? My plan has nothing.

But the bigger question is why people need to be in danger of losing their savings in order to receive healthcare in the first place.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

archangelwar posted:

But the bigger question is why people need to be in danger of losing their savings in order to receive healthcare in the first place.

The real answer? Because insurance companies have shareholders to impress and the sick and elderly serve as convenient piggy banks.

There is no ethical reason for this to be the case. Healthcare is a human necessity and should be treated as such.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which a GOP tracker sends a staffer to awkwardly try to deliver a crudite to Hillary for her birthday and then releases the video of him being turned away by a campaign volunteer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjiBvH99QBQ

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I really don't understand the message of a crudite being delivered other than it being a lovely gift.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Boon posted:

I really don't understand the message of a crudite being delivered other than it being a lovely gift.

You couldn't even use the word cruddy? Come *on*.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Boon posted:

Hillary is out of touch with real America and accepted this weird french food that sounds like crud!!

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Every time I hear people talk about healthcare plans, I get immensely thankful for my generous plan. My employer pays my premiums, and contributes an amount equal to my annual deductible to my HSA every year. I don't have to worry about going broke if a car hits me, and it's infuriating that that puts me in a distinct minority.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

RuanGacho posted:

Hillary is out of touch with real America and accepted this weird french food that sounds like crud!!

Personally I'm shocked that they even know that it's called a crudité, because to most Americans it's just a veggie plate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Boon posted:

The message is that it's her birthday and she's old.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Kaal posted:

Personally I'm shocked that they even know that it's called a crudité, because to most Americans it's just a veggie plate.

To some eating veggies is an impeachable offense.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

The message is that it's her birthday and she's old.

Oh. So at the end of her first term she'd be about the same age as when McCain expected to begin his first term. :geno:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Boon posted:

Oh. So at the end of her first term she'd be about the same age as when McCain expected to begin his first term. :geno:

IOKIYAR.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

In what world did the GOP think that a major presidential contender from either party would accept free untested food from just some rando that shows up with it? I mean seriously, would they expect Bush or Rubio or Carson to accept this?

This just smells like an assassination attempt waiting to happen and if I let a staffer just let someone deliver that, they would be fired so loving fast.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
fuckin idiots should know by now that Hillary runs off fuel cells and the blood of house select committee chairmen

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LeeMajors posted:

The real answer? Because insurance companies have shareholders to impress and the sick and elderly serve as convenient piggy banks.

There is no ethical reason for this to be the case. Healthcare is a human necessity and should be treated as such.

Insurance companies get most of the public blame but let's remember that they aren't the ones actually billing $6k for an MRI because you mentioned your knee was sore. Insurers are limited to a certain maximum profit margin while a hospital can and will bill you $300 because someone they pay $30 an hour looked at your chart for 10 minutes.

Most of the power of single payer is that the government calls the shots on reimbursement from a position of power so the medical providers are unable to abuse their regional monopoly to jack up prices. If for some strange reason you wanted to keep insurance as a thing make Medicare reimbursement rates standard and mandatory, ban balance billing, and watch costs plummet right along with the salaries of hospital system boards and pharmaceutical company CEOs.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shifty Pony posted:

Insurance companies get most of the public blame but let's remember that they aren't the ones actually billing $6k for an MRI because you mentioned your knee was sore. Insurers are limited to a certain maximum profit margin while a hospital can and will bill you $300 because someone they pay $30 an hour looked at your chart for 10 minutes.

Most of the power of single payer is that the government calls the shots on reimbursement from a position of power so the medical providers are unable to abuse their regional monopoly to jack up prices. If for some strange reason you wanted to keep insurance as a thing make Medicare reimbursement rates standard and mandatory, ban balance billing, and watch costs plummet right along with the salaries of hospital system boards and pharmaceutical company CEOs.

It's not that simple though. Most hospital billing is constructed on the premise that they only get a small percentage of what they actually bill to the insurance companies. They bill $300 to insurance companies because they know they'll get $75 of that in reality... maybe.

I'm not saying Hospitals are the innocent party, but insurance companies fight tooth and nail to pay them as little as they absolutely possibly can.

None of that negates the fact though that our entire medical system is hosed up and needs overhauling.

On a, probably unrelated sidenote, I was at my dermatologist the other day and we were talking about the state of healthcare in general and the pressure for doctors to see as many patients as possible rather than providing good focused care (in my opinion) and he mentioned that his overhead at his clinic was $400/hour. An HOUR. Jesus. And this is in Mississippi where salaries and property costs and such are considerably cheaper.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

archangelwar posted:

The minimum deductible for hsa plans is $1300 so you actually have a somewhat decent plan and as long as you have roughly median levels of income should be able to handle the difference. My company's plan is 4K deductible, which could easily wipe out a family's savings instantly.

Also it sounds like you have incentives and matching? My plan has nothing.

Yeah I get bux for voluntarily doing preventative stuff, everyone should get that, its a win/win for you and your insurer.

At least until we finally behead the oligarchy so we can all have it for free (you should still exercise then too though probably)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"Hillary is shrill" is a sexist myth. Her speeches this year have generally been fantastic, but largely ignored by the media and Bernie Sanders fans. Every time she gets into a situation where she can't be ignored in favor of a more convenient narrative (debates, the Benghazi hearing), she crushes it. Despite this and having the best resume and campaign apparatus of anyone in the entire race by far, she is continually underestimated, to the eventual woe of her enemies.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Shifty Pony posted:

I agree with you--insurance companies are complicit in this unregulated mystery billing though, and allow the healthcare industry to pawn 'lost revenue' from fair medicare/medicaid reimbursement onto insured parties and the uninsured. Lobbying to shift this responsibility onto the patients falls squarely on the insurance providers.

It's a symbiotic relationship of unfathomable profitability. No matter how unethical.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

hhhat posted:

So apparently because I have an HSA I'm hosed? Seemed like the best deal, I get extra funds for doing cardio and getting health screenings, and it still covers catastrophic poo poo. I'm hoping there's like, lovely HSA's and good HSA's or something and you guys are only talking about the lovely ones. Or maybe the company's getting one over on me because I didn't see the hidden print where it says 'lol you picked HSA gently caress you now'

They aren't bad idea, as part of a comprehensive health care plan that also includes actual insurance, for people who have jobs and can put money into them.

As a replacement for Medicaid and/or Medicare, ie, people who have no money to put in, and who would then not have insurance as a backstop, they're little better than simply genociding the poor and sick. "Why don't they just save up in advance" is the new "borrow some money from their parents" is the new "let them eat cake".

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 26, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tender Bender posted:

She's been giving the best performances of her career to date lately. She has been a lot less stiff and artificial this campaign than she was in the past and presumably now has the benefit of learning from prior campaigning experience.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

RevKrule posted:

In what world did the GOP think that a major presidential contender from either party would accept free untested food from just some rando that shows up with it? I mean seriously, would they expect Bush or Rubio or Carson to accept this?

This just smells like an assassination attempt waiting to happen and if I let a staffer just let someone deliver that, they would be fired so loving fast.

Nobody expects poisonous food from political rivals because it's not a viable tactic. The last major attempt to poison people for political gain in America was in Oregon (Rajneeshees) and it didn't work out well. I mean, pretend for a minute that Hillary was poisoned. All the other candidates are vulnerable to the same thing, plus there is no way an election that had that occur is going to be legitimate. Assassination is the work of desperate outsiders, not people who are legitimate candidates.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Peztopiary posted:

Nobody expects poisonous food from political rivals because it's not a viable tactic. The last major attempt to poison people for political gain in America was in Oregon (Rajneeshees) and it didn't work out well. I mean, pretend for a minute that Hillary was poisoned. All the other candidates are vulnerable to the same thing, plus there is no way an election that had that occur is going to be legitimate. Assassination is the work of desperate outsiders, not people who are legitimate candidates.

Was it from the Jeb! campaign?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Peztopiary posted:

They never state who they're from so it could be a political rival or it could be just some loving lunatic rando, which based on the face of the person they try and shove the tray towards she thought the same thing.

I'm not saying anyone ever thought it was another candidate that tried to do this to her, I'm questioning in what world ANYONE thought this would result in anything other than what happened, no matter who the recipient was supposed to be.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Sooooo is Boehner going to try and get a clean budget passed before he leaves? Or is it up to Paul Ryan who has apparently accepted the Speakership over the weekend?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

"Hillary is shrill" is a sexist myth. Her speeches this year have generally been fantastic, but largely ignored by the media and Bernie Sanders fans. Every time she gets into a situation where she can't be ignored in favor of a more convenient narrative (debates, the Benghazi hearing), she crushes it. Despite this and having the best resume and campaign apparatus of anyone in the entire race by far, she is continually underestimated, to the eventual woe of her enemies.

Because Hillary has such a pedigree and has existed in the national spotlight for decades, she is held to a much higher standard in terms of expectations. When she gathers a large crowd, it's expected as opposed to when Sanders does it and it's newsworthy. The media prefers to ignore Hillary events because they're as large as they should be and she does as well as expected. This isn't a conspiracy, just the way the news media makes its money by covering stories people find interesting, such as an underdog story or the fact that Sanders is doing surprisingly well. People were curious to see if the Benghazi committee would turn up anything and when it didn't, people stopped caring about the details.

Another reasons is that both sides of the polarized political spectrum we inhabit like to engage in purity tests when picking their candidates. Sanders is more ideologically pure, so he gets a great deal of the benefit of the doubt whenever he makes mistakes. When Hilary is perceived to be stiff or mechanical, it becomes a major issue that further reinforces the narrative that she isn't pure, that her espoused liberal beliefs are as fake as her demeanor. Whereas when Sanders spends the entire first half of the debate yelling and flubbing questions, it's just that he's having some trouble communicating his wonderful message and he's just a little rusty.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ElrondHubbard posted:

Because Hillary has such a pedigree and has existed in the national spotlight for decades, she is held to a much higher standard in terms of expectations. When she gathers a large crowd, it's expected as opposed to when Sanders does it and it's newsworthy. The media prefers to ignore Hillary events because they're as large as they should be and she does as well as expected. This isn't a conspiracy, just the way the news media makes its money by covering stories people find interesting, such as an underdog story or the fact that Sanders is doing surprisingly well. People were curious to see if the Benghazi committee would turn up anything and when it didn't, people stopped caring about the details.

Another reasons is that both sides of the polarized political spectrum we inhabit like to engage in purity tests when picking their candidates. Sanders is more ideologically pure, so he gets a great deal of the benefit of the doubt whenever he makes mistakes. When Hilary is perceived to be stiff or mechanical, it becomes a major issue that further reinforces the narrative that she isn't pure, that her espoused liberal beliefs are as fake as her demeanor. Whereas when Sanders spends the entire first half of the debate yelling and flubbing questions, it's just that he's having some trouble communicating his wonderful message and he's just a little rusty.

This is pretty :allears: about the media motives.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Monkey Fracas posted:

Sooooo is Boehner going to try and get a clean budget passed before he leaves? Or is it up to Paul Ryan who has apparently accepted the Speakership over the weekend?

Probably too late for Ryan to take over and husband it through, Boehner will have to up the debt limit before he goes.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

BonoMan posted:

It's not that simple though. Most hospital billing is constructed on the premise that they only get a small percentage of what they actually bill to the insurance companies. They bill $300 to insurance companies because they know they'll get $75 of that in reality... maybe.

I'm not saying Hospitals are the innocent party, but insurance companies fight tooth and nail to pay them as little as they absolutely possibly can.

None of that negates the fact though that our entire medical system is hosed up and needs overhauling.

On a, probably unrelated sidenote, I was at my dermatologist the other day and we were talking about the state of healthcare in general and the pressure for doctors to see as many patients as possible rather than providing good focused care (in my opinion) and he mentioned that his overhead at his clinic was $400/hour. An HOUR. Jesus. And this is in Mississippi where salaries and property costs and such are considerably cheaper.

I work for a medical diagnostic company these days. The system is so hosed that transparent and honest billing is so rare that it is actually a major selling point for us. The insurance companies benefit from it too. They'd stop doing business with dishonest hospitals/doctors if they could, but most of them are trying to game the system, and patients won't purchase your plan if no doctors are in network. In turn insurers gently caress over patients cause they have less recourse and, at the point they are seriously ill, are a net negative even if they pull through.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Probably too late for Ryan to take over and husband it through, Boehner will have to up the debt limit before he goes.

Except he is saying he doesn't have the votes to pass it even with Democrats. Which is absolutely insane if true.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ElrondHubbard posted:

Counterpoint: everything from the 90's to 2008.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
For Freedom Caucus, a taste of their own medicine.

quote:

Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) has been able to count on his Facebook page for stalwart support during his long-running battle with the House Republican leadership, including a successful effort to oust House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio).

“Keep up the great work,” read a comment posted last week. “We the people thank you for ridding us of John Boehner!”

But in recent days, the tone of the comments on Meadows’s page, and those of the other members of the hard-right House Freedom Caucus, have changed significantly.

“You truly should be ashamed,” one commenter wrote Thursday. “The people in the caucus will be held responsible come election day.”

“You should all be replaced,” a critic told Rep. Barry Loudermilk (R-Ga.). Another called Rep. Raúl R. Labrador (R-Idaho), one of the most persistent thorns in Boehner’s side, “a RINO establishment lap dog” and “another go-along to get along phony who will GLADLY step on the throats of the Conservative electorate.”

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

Except he is saying he doesn't have the votes to pass it even with Democrats. Which is absolutely insane if true.

He also likes to say that he wasn't hounded out of his job by Ted Cruz, but we know that's a lie too.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

hhhat posted:

My deductible is 1350 annually. Out of pocket max is 3000. After deductible expenses are 80% covered, so I could hit that 3K easily if some poo poo goes down. But yeah being able to drop 1k annually in an account because I keep up with my bloodwork and run when I can means the 3K comes out of that first.

Again, unless there's some fine print with "LOL got you!" somewhere I think maybe my HSA is pretty good. But everyone should read their stuff before signing anyway.

Your deductible doesn't sound that bad for an HSA plan but it's still pretty high compared to regular insurance plans.

HSAs are basically for perfectly healthy people who want really cheap premiums and are willing to gamble on never needing any expensive medical care, or people obsessed with keeping their money away from the IRS.

I haven't needed medical care in years so on paper an HSA plan would be perfect for me, but I'd rather pay the premium for decent insurance on the off chance I get appendicitis or something out of the blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hhhat posted:

when people are complaning about HSAs itt they're not talking about the simple existence of health savings accounts but rather the reliance on a saved pool of money to cover healthcare costs. HSAs are fine if used in conjunction with an actual, you know, insurance plan with coverage. what the right wants to do in some cases is replace this entirely with an HSA which is practically criminal in that there is no way an average person will be able to save enough cash to cover any of the common expensive chronic illnesses

i've got an HSA through work and with matching contributions and pretax deductions i sock about three grand a year in there, which is great for copays and flu shots and the like, but if i didn't also have insurance then as soon as i got hit by a bus or something i'd be completely screwed

• Locked thread