Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And then keep doing it just to piss them off.

"I'm Syndrome, your nemesis, and I-" sploosh

"You sly dog! You got me monolo-" sploosh

"Alright, you've made your p-" sploosh

"Stop th-" sploosh

"..." ...

"..." ...

"I-" sploosh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Played a great OD&D session with some people I have never played with before on Google Hangouts/Roll20 this weekend.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Samizdata posted:

Played a great OD&D session with some people I have never played with before on Google Hangouts/Roll20 this weekend.

Go on...

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
edit: never mind

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

All first level except a third level fighter. (No mage and no cleric. Fighters and thieves.) My halfling thief kept whiffing as much as hitting with crossbow shots, although I did avoid any critical fails or hitting other party members. The DM brilliantly caught us out with a red herring (an embalmed orangutan corpse in a small coffin) we went to elaborate anti-vampire methods to inspect, just to find it was a carnival prop looted from a caravan. Then we ended up tricking the big bad (we think it was the big bad - a mage trying to open a portal to somewhere to escape enemies who commissioned us to kill some bandits in the same cave complex between him and said portal) into thinking we had killed EVERYTHING between him and the portal into running into a nasty great monster that was nowhere near said portal.

Of course, we had been paid at this point. I suppose the quotes of the day would be my thief screaming obscenities against any and all halfling luck gods/goddesses as well as when we found a coffer of goodies, "What rubies?" (Some of the party figured out he had ninja'd them, but it was decided to let him keep them for the XP bonus.)

Nothing too wacky or over the top, but the DM was good, and the players were pretty good too, and I had a good time, so that's what's important. Technologically, all went well, except me not being able to launch Roll20 from the hangout, so the DM sent me a manual invitation.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Yesterday my DM pulled the ol' "Heh, you didn't ask about a specific thing :smug:" not once but twice in quick succession. So we're breaking into the hidden Underdark scholomance of an ancient, unliving drow ultramage, which of course means solving lovely wizard puzzles. We beat our way past the gatekeeper golem and its enchanted bullshit door and enter a loving Puzzle Room. You can tell a loving Puzzle Room because they have things like floating crystal hands wearing three rings, satchels with three scrolls in them, three wands on a table, etc. So obviously we cut to the chase and pull out our Mirror of True Seeing from an extraspace somewhere, which is basically just a full-length stand up mirror that reflects in truesight. Party face :j: : "So yeah I'm looking around the room with the mirror, is everything what it appears to be?" The DM confirms. So of course people start messing with the stuff scattered around the room; someone puts on a cursed ring, a crystal ball tries to mind control someone, fifteen, twenty minutes and we aren't getting anywhere. Our party face goes back to the mirror.

:j: "I'm looking at the FLOOR and the CEILING because we're dealing with drow and they levitate. Are you sure I didn't miss anything?"

:smugwizard: "Yeah there's a hidden trapdoor on the floor over there"

I'm like WE ARE A ~13th LEVEL PARTY WHEN WE LOOK AROUND A ROOM WITH TRUESIGHT WE ARE NEVER NOT EXAMINING THE FLOOR AND CEILING. what the gently caress dude

So she goes over to the (smooth, featureless) door and is like :j: "I press the key up against it"

:smugwizard: "Nothing happens"

Five minutes pass while we wrangle some more. Someone reads a cursed scroll.

:j: "I RUB THE KEY ALL OVER THE DOOR"

:smugwizard: "Oh a keyhole opens up right in the middle"

Go gently caress yaself. Seriously I'm so done with the flaming garbage dump that is AD&D1e, not to mention this guy's DMing style, if I wasn't balls deep in the sunk cost fallacy I would be so outta there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ixjuvin posted:

Go gently caress yaself. Seriously I'm so done with the flaming garbage dump that is AD&D1e, not to mention this guy's DMing style, if I wasn't balls deep in the sunk cost fallacy I would be so outta there.

Bail and make your own game to entice everyone into.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

chitoryu12 posted:

Bail and make your own game to entice everyone into.
This. Life's too short to waste time on "well when you said everything you didn't specifically say this thing so I decided to be a twatrocket and not tell you" bullshit.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played Feng Shui 2 and enjoyed it. What's really awesome is Gun vs. Martial Arts combat. Our game was a oneshot; five soon-to-be-fired cops are sent to investigate counterfeit Nikes and a strange blue powder.

It ended up with a cops vs. army of 1850s Shao-Lin practitioners, led by their Perfect Master.

My character, a criminal profiler named Karen, declared the Perfect Master her quarry; that gave me a huge bonus when attacking him.

Combat looked like this:
My character declared that some people may be above the law, but nobody's before it. She racks her shotgun and fires...
and the Perfect Master plucks the buckshot out of midair.
He runs in with a flying kick...
Which Karen immediately dodged, landing a beanbag right in his exposed thigh.

From there, he only hit Karen once (knocking her through a gazebo), and between her and the "Guns are for Wussies, here's a polearm" cop Mickey, we held our own. The biggest hit was when Mickey did a running pole-vault kick, sending the Master over a balcony. As he slowly got to his feet, wiping blood from his mouth, he was knocked out of frame by a shotgun blast.

Don't mess with TimeCops.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 27, 2015

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Knocking me through a gazebo

What was such a powerful monster doing there?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Arx Monolith posted:

What was such a powerful monster doing there?
Karen is a +3 arrow.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

This. Life's too short to waste time on "well when you said everything you didn't specifically say this thing so I decided to be a twatrocket and not tell you" bullshit.

You're not wrong! But the campaign is actually drawing to a close, and I'm interested to see how the end is going to pan out, since we are setting up a shitload of dominoes that should cause the destruction of Menzoberranzan in epic fashion. There's pretty much no nobler goal in AD&D than drow genocide.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ixjuvin posted:

There's pretty much no nobler goal in AD&D than drow genocide.

I would counter with either
- wiping Cormyr off the map
Or
- Finally getting the sexual assault charges against Elminster to stick.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wait, what did Cormyr do?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kavak posted:

Wait, what did Cormyr do?

Have you seen what happens in Ed Greenwood's Cormyr?
It's like Game of Thrones if their national anthem was the Benny Hill theme.
Nothing but secret doors leading into secret doors, people scrying on people who are scrying on other people, you can't have a bowl of cereal without getting dragged into 7 moronic schemes to somehow usurp the throne by sitting in a dark room and chuckling evilly to yourself.
The world would be better off without those chucklefucks, is all I'm saying.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

the_steve posted:

Have you seen what happens in Ed Greenwood's Cormyr?
Nothing but secret doors leading into secret doors, people scrying on people who are scrying on other people, you can't have a bowl of cereal without getting dragged into 7 moronic schemes to somehow usurp the throne by sitting in a dark room and chuckling evilly to yourself.
The world would be better off without those chucklefucks, is all I'm saying.

Oh, that place! That book is like taking the worst, most backstab-happy group of VtM LARPers, making it ten times worse, throwing in a handful of people only there for the alcohol, and then scaling it up to a large city.

It's hilarious.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Isn't Cormyr supposed to be Neutral Good or something? Like applying alignments to countries is stupid but that sounds like it should be Lawful or Neutral Stupid Evil.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cormyr's alignment is True Stupid.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Kavak posted:

Isn't Cormyr supposed to be Neutral Good or something? Like applying alignments to countries is stupid but that sounds like it should be Lawful or Neutral Stupid Evil.

the_steve posted:

Cormyr's alignment is True Stupid.

I believe that the royal family's alignment trends towards Lawful Idiot

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

the_steve posted:

Having never read the books, this sounds like the best loving thing ever.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yawgmoth posted:

Having never read the books, this sounds like the best loving thing ever.

Sorry to get your hopes up like that.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Once upon a time, an April Fool's edition of Dragon had an editor comment that Azoun IV of Cormyr wore a thong with a purple dragon embroidered on the front. Which is funny, when you're sixteen, and you don't know how much of a hornball Ed Greenwood really is.

Now... now I wonder if that's actually canon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
As we've recently discovered in the Next thread, it's probably not canon to WotC, it's almost assuredly canon to Ed.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I do wonder how much pain would be saved if people paid attention to the advice in the name and stopped remembering the Realms.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
What did you guys think the Purple Dragon was? A Dragon?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

chaos rhames posted:

What did you guys think the Purple Dragon was? A Dragon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhI0OVs_zj0

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I wanted to play my character some backwoods tall-lanky grappler that wandered into a weird situation. My DM has morphed him into the son of a frost giant chief who is slowly turning blue/hulk. Not the worst but thematically and combat wise he has slowly been morphing each character into what he thinks is better. He calls them "rewards" but it ends up being just changes.

I wanted to make my character just really good at piledriving people and putting them in crossbars but, now he is a dual-wielding demi-god.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Refuse to use the weapons, denounce your heritage, and never kill anyone who taps out.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I wanted to play my character some backwoods tall-lanky grappler that wandered into a weird situation. My DM has morphed him into the son of a frost giant chief who is slowly turning blue/hulk. Not the worst but thematically and combat wise he has slowly been morphing each character into what he thinks is better. He calls them "rewards" but it ends up being just changes.

I wanted to make my character just really good at piledriving people and putting them in crossbars but, now he is a dual-wielding demi-god.

Hey, at least your DM isn't taking actions for you that change your character's gender against your will.

Yet.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sometimes you ended up wanting to tell a DM "Look, buddy, this is my character that I am playing. You want me to leave so you can play with yourself?" I had a ref in DC Heroes who pretty much determined that whatever we did, we were following his exact plot. It went beyond railroading straight to being down the barrel of a railgun.

Railing Kill posted:

Hey, at least your DM isn't taking actions for you that change your character's gender against your will.

Yet.

Because that always leads to rape.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

goatface posted:

Refuse to use the weapons, denounce your heritage, and never kill anyone who taps out.

you get me. just about everyone in the group has had some sort of dispute so, I am just kinda going with the flow now. I might just meet my characters father and try to put him in a sleeper hold then tombstone drop him off a cliff. But if its a character he doesnt want grappled, they wont ever get grappled no matter the rolls. meh.

but i am quitting this group after the end of this campaign. they love house ruling everything to death and plan on doing shadow-run next which i imagine will be the biggest headache ever.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Samizdata posted:

Sometimes you ended up wanting to tell a DM "Look, buddy, this is my character that I am playing. You want me to leave so you can play with yourself?" I had a ref in DC Heroes who pretty much determined that whatever we did, we were following his exact plot. It went beyond railroading straight to being down the barrel of a railgun

I have and he just was complaining because "there wasnt much he could work with with that story" and i was like, he doesnt need an epic story he is just some bumpkin that loves to put people in headlocks. He gives all his money away once he gets it and the only wealth he had is that he wears every piece of jewelry he finds because it makes him look fly af.

edit: by give it away i mean he just spends it on his buds for example the paladin liberated his home town so he spent all his earnings to erect a huge golden statue in his honor with a plaque that said " Thox legendary slayer of legends"

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 28, 2015

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

I have and he just was complaining because "there wasnt much he could work with with that story" and i was like, he doesnt need an epic story he is just some bumpkin that loves to put people in headlocks. He gives all his money away once he gets it and the only wealth he had is that he wears every piece of jewelry he finds because it makes him look fly af.

edit: by give it away i mean he just spends it on his buds for example the paladin liberated his home town so he spent all his earnings to erect a huge golden statue in his honor with a plaque that said " Thox legendary slayer of legends"

Or, better yet, it's a more interesting story because a bumpkin gets embroiled with an epic quest and continues to be himself in spite of it all.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Seriously, the Rasslemaniac walks by a group of adventurers discussing a raid on some big ugly. He goes "That sounds like fun to beat up. Can I come along?" Problem solved.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I have and he just was complaining because "there wasnt much he could work with with that story"

Oh, for the love of god, one of those guys.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Railing Kill posted:

Or, better yet, it's a more interesting story because a bumpkin gets embroiled with an epic quest and continues to be himself in spite of it all.

Oh yeah, I am fighting it to the very end. Even in diplomatic sections I use the simplest way possible when they were talking about how to negotiate whats best way to tend for the poor and dying in the slums with and against other nobles my character just kept asking why dont we just ask the poor people. this was deemed stupid and too simple :[

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Samizdata posted:

Because that always leads to rape.

Incorrect. I submit to you Edwin "Edwina" Odesseiron.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Oh yeah, I am fighting it to the very end. Even in diplomatic sections I use the simplest way possible when they were talking about how to negotiate whats best way to tend for the poor and dying in the slums with and against other nobles my character just kept asking why dont we just ask the poor people. this was deemed stupid and too simple :[

A lawful bumpkin, even better. Not just generic murderhobo #19. Nice.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Samizdata posted:

Seriously, the Rasslemaniac walks by a group of adventurers discussing a raid on some big ugly. He goes "That sounds like fun to beat up. Can I come along?" Problem solved.

Almost kinda what happened. The DM is frustrating because he is usually so close to a good story and interaction but just throws it away. To be introduced to the others who were captured by a duke and then put on a deerhunter like chase.. I was thinking my character could help them because he doesnt use weapons/armor so would be an asset to the weaponless/armorless group in getting by and endearing himself to them by his aid and in turn him feeling useful/important.

Nope, swing and a miss. The duke left them all their gear/goods/potions in a chest for some reason in the middle of the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Incorrect. I submit to you Edwin "Edwina" Odesseiron.

Dude/ette. That's a character in a mainstream CRPG. I am talking human gamers here. You know what I mean.