Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I just had a simultaneous volcanic winter and cold snap

things dropped from an average of about 10 this month to -30 outside lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I just got the game a week or so ago. Already put 15 hours or so into it. Planning to start a new game because I chose a difficulty level that's not very challenging.

I'm using some of the mod packs from the link in the OP for this second go through and no matter what I try, I can't get the colony to start. The screen shows where my people should be landing and then it locks up.

What's the easiest way to figure out which mod did it? Is there a log generated somewhere that I can check?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
A psychic ship just landed right in the middle of all my crops and proceeded to cause them all to with and die! Haha...that's kind of cool actually.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mister Adequate posted:

I just had a simultaneous volcanic winter and cold snap

things dropped from an average of about 10 this month to -30 outside lol

how do you check the temp? i have had to just guess how to set heaters and coolers.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tenzarin posted:

how do you check the temp? i have had to just guess how to set heaters and coolers.

It should be the bottom right of your game screen just above the date and weather.

e; although you don't actually need that info for heaters and coolers in most cases, because the temp you set those to is their target temperature, and they will try to achieve it as long as they are powered.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 25, 2015

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

beerinator posted:

I just got the game a week or so ago. Already put 15 hours or so into it. Planning to start a new game because I chose a difficulty level that's not very challenging.

FYI you can change difficulty and AI director at any point from the settings menu, no restart required.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

junidog posted:

FYI you can change difficulty and AI director at any point from the settings menu, no restart required.

Ah. I didn't see that. Thanks.

Also, I just deleted everything in my mods folder and then re-pasted all the contents from the download linked in the OP and everything worked. Not sure what happened.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Is there any reasonable way to see what items/weapons/armor I have? i.e. if I want to equip a different weapon, is the only way for me to do that to literally look through all the weapons in my stockpile(s) by scrolling around and clicking on them to find a new one? Because that is stupid

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

mitztronic posted:

Is there any reasonable way to see what items/weapons/armor I have? i.e. if I want to equip a different weapon, is the only way for me to do that to literally look through all the weapons in my stockpile(s) by scrolling around and clicking on them to find a new one? Because that is stupid

Make an armory. A room inside, stockpile set to critical, weapons only with durability over 50% or something. Makes it easier to find good weapons when you have to many. Do the same with clothes.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

mitztronic posted:

IIRC Edb interface has an inventory tab with all the items in your colony.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is there anyway to set up the heater and cooler always to be on to keep the temperature in the rooms just right all the time?

Can I force my people to not wear sub 50% durability gear? I tell the to drop their low items and they just pick it up again and get the mood decrease.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Is there anyway to set up the heater and cooler always to be on to keep the temperature in the rooms just right all the time?

Can I force my people to not wear sub 50% durability gear? I tell the to drop their low items and they just pick it up again and get the mood decrease.

The outfits screen is what you want. You can set the minimum quality of items as well as what items colonists will try to wear. By default they will try to wear as many clothes as they can and with no regard to durability.

Heating and cooling can be done by setting the cooler to the top end of the desired temperature and the heater to the low end of the desired temperature. A good starting point is 15 degrees minimum and 25 degrees maximum.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I always farm cotton/muffalos/alpacas and get a decent crafter to crank out spare clothes for everyone. Having a small stockpile of fresh clothes is always nice for when a fight doesn't go well and you have sad and injured colonists with combat-worn clothes. Kinda wish colonists knew cabinets and dressers though.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I just watched the end of this guy's playthrough. It's fairly painful to watch, but to be honest, he made some really bad decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAGvzG7etuo

Skip to the 17 minute mark if you want to watch his colonists go down in a blaze of glory. Then the video ends with a whimper. :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So people that use redist heat, does it work for cooling for you? For the life of me I can't get cooling to work. Heat, no problem. But my network will never cool. I've got an industrial cooler dropping the room to about 3 kelvin and the pipes are still room temperature. Intakes and ducts are connected to the right network. Not a huge issue since my colony is in a boreal forest and it's never actually warm out, but I'd love to make a middle of the base freezer for meds

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Azhais posted:

So people that use redist heat, does it work for cooling for you? For the life of me I can't get cooling to work. Heat, no problem. But my network will never cool. I've got an industrial cooler dropping the room to about 3 kelvin and the pipes are still room temperature. Intakes and ducts are connected to the right network. Not a huge issue since my colony is in a boreal forest and it's never actually warm out, but I'd love to make a middle of the base freezer for meds

I just finished setting up a cooler duct network for the same purposes and I had no trouble with it at all :shrug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mister Adequate posted:

I just finished setting up a cooler duct network for the same purposes and I had no trouble with it at all :shrug:

Reading the ludeon forums I'm starting to get the feeling that while heat works with just heating up the room and using intakes, for cooling I need to install inline duct coolers

Heating is awesome for me atm, one of the mods in the pack lets you use power cells from the poison ships to make 2k power generators that end up putting out a ton of heat, so I just slapped some intake ducts in the room with them. Free heat!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

beerinator posted:

I just watched the end of this guy's playthrough. It's fairly painful to watch, but to be honest, he made some really bad decisions.

Skip to the 17 minute mark if you want to watch his colonists go down in a blaze of glory. Then the video ends with a whimper. :(

Holy poo poo how can this guy ties his shoes in the morning. That wasn't blaze of glory that was charge of the light brigade.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

beerinator posted:

Speaking of watching colonists go down in a blaze of glory. Arumba recently finished a Rimworld let's play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkalWcqIQuo

The fun starts at 8:18 and it gets outright hilarious at 9:15.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lowen posted:

Speaking of watching colonists go down in a blaze of glory. Arumba recently finished a Rimworld let's play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkalWcqIQuo

The fun starts at 8:18 and it gets outright hilarious at 9:15.

I was laughing out loud. This is hilarious. I guess he hasn't learned how to tell what the temperature is inside a room. "700+ Fahrenheit, get into there, put the fire out!"

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just lost my fave fort to mechanoids. They wouldn't loving come out of their ancient evil room, and said room was inside a mountain (which would have rendered my MIRV mortar unusable, correct?), and when I went up to install a minigun turret closer to them, they just pelted my colonists with firebombs, and things went downhill from there.

How do you guys handle a combined and entrenched mechanoid enemy?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldnt gently caress with them at all, not wake them up, until I have a small army of bionic super-warriors with an insane bloodlust that can only be sated by mechanoid and pirate death.

MIRV mortar? Sounds like an easy mode mod to me..

Tias
May 25, 2008

I wouldn't say that, they're no more accurate, shells will blow the gently caress up if left to detetoriate, and won't work when your enemies are stuck inside a mountain. Good for instilling a lively terror in primitive tribespeople, but that's about it.

Man, I've tried taming and selling animals, raising a veritable fuckload of corn, and making medicine for profit, and I can't even come close to making the kind of money I need to buy bionics and weapons.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Tias posted:

Just lost my fave fort to mechanoids. They wouldn't loving come out of their ancient evil room, and said room was inside a mountain (which would have rendered my MIRV mortar unusable, correct?), and when I went up to install a minigun turret closer to them, they just pelted my colonists with firebombs, and things went downhill from there.

Sniper rifles work for me. Sometimes it aggros them, sometimes they don't notice. If they start coming for me I just move my guy(s) back and then try again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tias posted:

If they're happy in there I'd leave them be? Wall off the room I guess.

Tias
May 25, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

If they're happy in there I'd leave them be? Wall off the room I guess.

If you think I won't shoot no fronting mechanoids you don't know me well enough son

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tias posted:

If you think I won't shoot no fronting mechanoids you don't know me well enough son

Don't mechanoids have the same heat issues as everyone else? Make a big room around their entrance out of aggro range, fill it with wooden furniture, set it on fire

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

Don't mechanoids have the same heat issues as everyone else? Make a big room around their entrance out of aggro range, fill it with wooden furniture, set it on fire

Err, technically they can die from overheating and freezing but if you have a look their temperature range is something like 200 degrees C to -100 C or something.

So if you feel you can do it you can certainly try cooking them but be prepared for anything even moderately combustible to also experience the same.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It's really not hard to build a bunch of wooden walls and then molotov them to get the place warmed up. The hard part is doing it in such a way that you can light the fire, then wall them in without them coming for you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That part isn't hard but if there's anything in the room you don't want to spontaneously catch fire, you may have some problems.

Essentially I'm assuming there is something worth looting in the room which you may not want to incinerate.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tommofork posted:

It's really not hard to build a bunch of wooden walls and then molotov them to get the place warmed up. The hard part is doing it in such a way that you can light the fire, then wall them in without them coming for you.

It sounds like "them coming for him" would be OK, since the problem is they just won't leave their nice safe burrow

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

OwlFancier posted:

That part isn't hard but if there's anything in the room you don't want to spontaneously catch fire, you may have some problems.

Essentially I'm assuming there is something worth looting in the room which you may not want to incinerate.

I got it, Light everything outside the room ON FIRE. make sure the bad guys leave the room.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I guess I just wanted to take them in a fair fight :sigh:

Which sometimes works, but here they were just too hard to root out.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Build a room around the ship part like that, with wooden beds to the right, where the fire is. Put an incendiary IED next to the beds. Get a dude to stand in the corner where the chair is on the picture, and melee attack the ship. Mechanoids will spawn and trigger the IED eventually, setting the beds on fire. This will raise the temperature in the room enough to kill them. Remove the roof, dismantle a wall and set the place to home area to put out the fire. Do not destroy the ship part while the place is on fire, you will destroy the items that drop.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
How do you dismantle a roof ?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

mitztronic posted:

How do you dismantle a roof ?

add a no-roof zone

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Due to the power of the killbox, my base is half the map now.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I swear to Christ, the last 10 colonists/prisoners I've had have been super melee champions with no shooters in sight. I have a single shooter who has had all but a single leg and eye replaced due to war wounds. Nobody is even an 'interested' shooter.

I guess it's time to scrounge up every bit of body armour/personal shield I can find and start churning out masterwork plasteel gladiuses (and then just roll over and die to the eventual mechanoid invasion).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ChickenWing posted:

I swear to Christ, the last 10 colonists/prisoners I've had have been super melee champions with no shooters in sight. I have a single shooter who has had all but a single leg and eye replaced due to war wounds. Nobody is even an 'interested' shooter.

I guess it's time to scrounge up every bit of body armour/personal shield I can find and start churning out masterwork plasteel gladiuses (and then just roll over and die to the eventual mechanoid invasion).

I terminized my shooter, but he doesnt have a nose. So he is like some kind of robotic monster.

Ended 2 sieges in the first day by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

(and then just roll over and die to the eventual mechanoid invasion).

Clubs work better, bulletproof armour is sharp-based.