Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Blinkman987 posted:

Edit: How did you structure your day with the ziplining? Did you spend two days around those temples, then?

I'm traveling solo, so if you have any recommendations for tour companies I'd be grateful.

Yes, the temples warrant 1.5 days at the minimum, so it worked out. If you have a pass, the ziplining people will deduct it from the price. I didn't use any tour companies for anything. Paying a tuktuk driver $15 for a day was good enough for me. I live in India, so touts in Vietnam/Cambodia didn't bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
If any of you guys are in Bangkok over a weekend I really recommend the Talad Rot Fai night market, it's a five minute walk from the most northerly sky train stop and is awesome. I'd say aim to arrive around 7-8pm. It's aimed towards younger Thais so all the clothes and stalls are great. I picked up a tshirt for 60 baht and a nice shirt for 100 baht. No haggling as its not really aimed at tourists, I only saw one other whitey when I was there on Sunday night. There are also lots of great food stalls and lots of cool bars. It did make me remember how Thais really struggle to get their head around solo travellers some times. Lots of "why you alone!?" "Where you family!?" "Where your girlfriend". Haha.

I'm gonna check it out again next time I'm in Bangkok for sure.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There are a couple of Talad Rod Fais, did you go to Srinakarin or Ratchada? Maybe the JJ market at Chatuchak/Mo Chit?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ah yeah, the original Talaat Rot Fai behind Suan Rot Fai (behind Chatuchak) was closed and forced to move. I think it's in Bang Na now? Can't recall. In the year or so since about 4-5 similar markets have showed up, including Gypsy Market and JJ Green (near where the old talaat rot fai was). They're also holding like monthly combo market events in random places where everyone gets together in like an underpass or something strange. If you like those retro/vintage markets you'll have plenty to do these days, believe me. Food trucks, also finally big in the last couple of years.

Next stop, twerking!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think from what I understand the old one moved to (sp maybe) Srinakarin out north of Bang Na.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Chantilly Say posted:

I think from what I understand the old one moved to (sp maybe) Srinakarin out north of Bang Na.

Is that the "train market"?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ted Ed Fred posted:

If any of you guys are in Bangkok over a weekend I really recommend the Talad Rot Fai night market, it's a five minute walk from the most northerly sky train stop and is awesome. I'd say aim to arrive around 7-8pm. It's aimed towards younger Thais so all the clothes and stalls are great. I picked up a tshirt for 60 baht and a nice shirt for 100 baht. No haggling as its not really aimed at tourists, I only saw one other whitey when I was there on Sunday night. There are also lots of great food stalls and lots of cool bars. It did make me remember how Thais really struggle to get their head around solo travellers some times. Lots of "why you alone!?" "Where you family!?" "Where your girlfriend". Haha.

I'm gonna check it out again next time I'm in Bangkok for sure.

There's a popular Thai joke / saying that goes something like travel alone and get your head cut off, travel with a friend and die together.

Lotta Thai jokes involve abrupt death.

ReindeerF posted:

Ah yeah, the original Talaat Rot Fai behind Suan Rot Fai (behind Chatuchak) was closed and forced to move. I think it's in Bang Na now? Can't recall. In the year or so since about 4-5 similar markets have showed up, including Gypsy Market and JJ Green (near where the old talaat rot fai was). They're also holding like monthly combo market events in random places where everyone gets together in like an underpass or something strange. If you like those retro/vintage markets you'll have plenty to do these days, believe me. Food trucks, also finally big in the last couple of years.

Next stop, twerking!

Thai ppl not made to twerk sorry Thailand

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is that the "train market"?

Isn't the train market Maeklong? Is there another? "THE" train market, king of da trains

For really reals though, the other train market is in Nong Bon close to Bang Na

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 27, 2015

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jatujak+Green+

That's where the one I went to was, behind Chatuchak as reindeer says.

I thought it was the train market, but I must have read some old information before I went. Because I just found another Facebook page https://m.facebook.com/pages/Railway-Train-Night-Market-Talad-Rot-Fai/309788802433922 showing a different location entirely. I guess that means I have a choice of markets at least!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
A video for anyone heading to Bangkok and want to try some of the street food egg noodles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXqWHNpMQ5o

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hey I've watched that guys videos before. He's a little creepy but he cooks Thai enough for me.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I have to take the shuttle from BKK to DMK early in the morning. Flight lands in BKK at 7:15 AM, flight leaves DMK at 2:50 PM. Any suggestions of what I should do around the area? I figure I'll lock up my bag somewhere at BKK, do things for 3 hours or so, get back for the 11:20 shuttle and take that to DMK. Slightly riskier than hanging around the DMK area, but I assume it's also in some boring suburb like most budget airline airports.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Blinkman987 posted:

I have to take the shuttle from BKK to DMK early in the morning. Flight lands in BKK at 7:15 AM, flight leaves DMK at 2:50 PM. Any suggestions of what I should do around the area? I figure I'll lock up my bag somewhere at BKK, do things for 3 hours or so, get back for the 11:20 shuttle and take that to DMK. Slightly riskier than hanging around the DMK area, but I assume it's also in some boring suburb like most budget airline airports.

Neither airport is particularly near anything. One is on the outskirts of the city in the middle of nowhere and the other is on the edge of the city right next to the middle of nowhere. The time frame you're working with is just enough that you'll be able to get through immigration and actually into the city, but it's entirely possible you won't really have time to do anything of note. You could try taking the ARL into town and taking some photos of things near that, like Victory Monument or the shrine that was recently bombed, but I'd spend the whole time worrying that the ARL was going to be delayed on the way back.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Doing it in that order is gonna mean backtracking. Flip it--get the shuttle to DMK, check how much time you have, then think about stashing a bag and getting a cab to go check out Chatuchak or get to the BTS and get lunch around Victory.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band

Ringo R posted:

A video for anyone heading to Bangkok and want to try some of the street food egg noodles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXqWHNpMQ5o

I've been to a few of the places he recommends, his videos are awful, but his eatingthaifood.com blog is pretty good, the map on there is useful.

I really want to try this place http://www.eatingthaifood.com/2014/08/soei-restaurant-bangkok/ have any of you guys eaten there, is it as good as he says? The crispy mackerel faces look awesome, I imagine they're like deep fried whitebait on Thai steroids.

Ted Ed Fred fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 28, 2015

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm flying from Dalat to HCMC tomorrow then spending 4 nights there if anyone wants to hang out! Almost done with my travel in Vietnam.

Ted Ed Fred posted:

I've been to a few of the places he recommends, his videos are awful, but his eatingthaifood.com blog is pretty good, the map on there is useful.

I really want to try this place http://www.eatingthaifood.com/2014/08/soei-restaurant-bangkok/ have any of you guys eaten there, is it as good as he says? The crispy mackerel faces look awesome, I imagine they're like deep fried whitebait on Thai steroids.

And oh hey I'm down to try this when I get into Bangkok next week.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Isn't the train market Maeklong? Is there another? "THE" train market, king of da trains

For really reals though, the other train market is in Nong Bon close to Bang Na
Yeah, the confusion is from the name. The old retro market was named Talaat Rot Fai or Talaat Suan Rot Fai, I forget, because it was located at the park behind Chatuchak, which is called Suan Rot Fai, which translates to Railway Park. It's named that because it's State Railway of Thailand land and they made it into a park. The Railway Market most foreigners mean is down in Maeklong, exactly, which is the one where the market rolls up for the train and so on. You can visit that one by taking the train from the Mahachai Railway near Wong Wian Yai (dedicated, separate rail line) to Mahachai and then crossing the ferry and getting on the second leg of the same line to Maeklong. I may have the names backwards, but I think that's right. It's a pretty hilarious railway and you will often wonder how it manages to actually operate, heh.

Random train facts: There are three heavy rail origin stations in Bangkok. Hua Lamphong is the main station, Thonburi (Siriraj) is a smaller station just on the West side of the river next to Siriraj Hospital and the Mahachai Railway originates at its station about ten minutes' walk from Wong Wian Yai BTS (Wong Wian means roundabout and refers to the large roundabout nearby). Thonburi connects to the Southern, Western and Northern lines near Bang Bamru station, but typically only runs commuter lines I think (not sure, check) while Mahachai/Maeklong is a single track line originally built to facilitate trade between the port/fishing cities on the coast down South to Bangkok and back.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 28, 2015

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Correct me if I'm wrong I'm just want to make sure I don't waste my time, but I'm in Bangkok monday - thursday and from what I gathered the railway in Maeklong is being renovated so there are no trains running through that market there at the moment right? Wat Arun is being renovated as well. Is it still worth visiting right now? Does anyone know how much a roughly 1 hour khlong tour would set me back and at what piers those can be booked?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The train market I'm thinking of is in Bangna and the reason I called it "the" train market is because that's just what my friends called it. The reason is because a bunch of the shops are converted rail cars or meant to look like converted rail cars. There are also a bunch of bars and they all have live music, so you have bands that are about 10 meters from one another playing different songs. It's incredibly goddamn annoying.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Nice! Definitely would try it out if I make it back. Was just thinking about goong shae nam bplaa the other day and their version looks great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have another dumb question. I'm presuming $50 a day is more than enough in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam, am I presuming correctly? I travel cheap generally though I would like single rooms instead of hostel dorms this time around.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I have another dumb question. I'm presuming $50 a day is more than enough in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam, am I presuming correctly? I travel cheap generally though I would like single rooms instead of hostel dorms this time around.

I did those countries for about $20 a day including visas.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

You can find lovely rooms for under 600 baht a day and food will be as cheap as you make it. Your biggest cost is likely to be transport in Bangkok.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

You can find lovely rooms for under 600 baht a day and food will be as cheap as you make it. Your biggest cost is likely to be transport in Bangkok.

Cheapest room I had in Thailand (Mae Salong) was 50 baht and it still had free Wifi.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Staying in a low end ac room, being reasonably careful with purchases, drinking most days, traveling as often as you wish with some consideration to comfort is about 50 a day in the more expensive parts of those countries. If you're okay with non-ac rooms a bit less, but I almost always felt they were worth it even if I was really only sleeping there, which was usually not the case.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 30, 2015

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

US$50 is plenty within a backpacker's budget, but not "do whatever you want without watching your budget" plenty. It's about the right amount, I'd say, although you could certainly get by on US$35-40 a day without feeling too broke.

kenner116 posted:

Cheapest room I had in Thailand (Mae Salong) was 50 baht and it still had free Wifi.

Yes, but this is not helpful information when someone is trying to budget. 50 baht doesn't even get you a bed in a dorm room in Bangkok.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
What a 250 baht a night room looks like in BKK, just a fan and cold shower, but it's fine for me. Cockroaches are complimentary.

Ted Ed Fred fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 30, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Pretty bold move with the backpack actually on that bug nest.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
To me it always seems worth it to fork out an extra $5-10 to stay somewhere nicer than the absolute rock bottom cheapest tier, given the choice.

If you want to stay somewhere lovely to get the true SE Asian experience there are plenty of opportunities for that outside the city.

In bkk 700-800 baht gets a modern apartment style room near the mrt with a fridge, tv, a/c, wifi and a bed with clean sheets you can actually sleep on.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Negligent posted:

To me it always seems worth it to fork out an extra $5-10 to stay somewhere nicer than the absolute rock bottom cheapest tier, given the choice.

If you want to stay somewhere lovely to get the true SE Asian experience there are plenty of opportunities for that outside the city.

In bkk 700-800 baht gets a modern apartment style room near the mrt with a fridge, tv, a/c, wifi and a bed with clean sheets you can actually sleep on.

otoh you can get a prison room for half

Like half price dude

HALF

:airguitar fury:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Negligent posted:

That sounds good to me and 700 is apparently what I spend on lovely dorms normally. Do you know any places offhand like that?

My biggest travel expense is always food.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293916-d634596-Reviews-Bhiman_Inn-Bangkok.html

Ive also stayed at this place, 1200 baht a night. Aircon, fridge, good location away from KSR, but still close enough if you want to go and have some beers with other backpackers, plus the road it's on has loads of great food stalls on it.

Ultimately it doesn't matter where you're staying as long as you're going to be able to enjoy your stay. There's no shame in high end, mid range or low end, as long as you get something out of your trip.

Ted Ed Fred fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 30, 2015

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Off the tourist trail poo poo is insanely cheap, though that means avoiding the domestic tourist trail too now. I'm staying in what I'm sure was the most tony place in a provincial capital about 50 years ago for 400 Baht a night. This is a step up from the place with the spitoons and the squat toilets, which was 170 a night. I love this poo poo, it's like a glimpse into the past. It's a military town, so the local office supply store still has shitloads of old school typewriters and ribbons and adding machines. I've walked into an episode of Thai Mad Men.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
A friend lives in this part of Ratchada otherwise I never would have discovered it. Ten minutes on the MRT from Asoke interchange.

I've stayed at these 2 places for around 700 a night booked online. When I got there I haggled a discount for staying extra days. This was in March so prices may have gone up for high season.
http://www.doubleddhouse.com
http://spbparadise.com

SPB is slightly nicer, modern furnished rooms with flatscreen tv. DD is closer to the MRT station.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Thanks dudes. I think I'm going to spend most of the trip in Thailand with a few day pop over to Cambodia to see Angkor. The long train trip down to Singapore with stops off in little towns looks neat too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Off the tourist trail poo poo is insanely cheap, though that means avoiding the domestic tourist trail too now. I'm staying in what I'm sure was the most tony place in a provincial capital about 50 years ago for 400 Baht a night. This is a step up from the place with the spitoons and the squat toilets, which was 170 a night. I love this poo poo, it's like a glimpse into the past. It's a military town, so the local office supply store still has shitloads of old school typewriters and ribbons and adding machines. I've walked into an episode of Thai Mad Men.

Jai Yen Men

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Jesus, 250 baht a day is half a cab ride, why?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
One of the cool things about travelling SE Asia is getting to stay in 4+ star hotels for $20/night once and awhile, but if you do it the whole time you miss out on a lot. Asking other travellers where they stayed was the best resource I found for cheaper places, and a lot of other things.

Fuuuuck the more Christmassy it gets here the more I wish I could go back. My godson is just about old enough to be a decent house-sitter, so maybe in the summer I can work something out and just do online work somewhere comfy in Cambodia.

Anyone have favourite places in Cambodia to rent a quiet spot with aircon and a nearby hammock? I love Siem Reap, but Battambang and Phnom Penh were lovely and not very far away. Never got to any Thai or Cambodian beaches while I was there last, but I live two minutes from the Pacific here, so it's not really a must for me.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 31, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Puttin SEA on blast, u no longa got that lock on Hitler kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Puttin SEA on blast, u no longa got that lock on Hitler kids

Too soooooon.