Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

MrPete posted:

I think the real question we need to be asking is can I use some of this carpet to hide my 400 pounds of concrete?

Did you find a concrete pattern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

NancyPants posted:

Did you find a concrete pattern?
No, we have very little to go on, but we WILL catch the guy who stole his bike, mark my words.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

It doesn't feel cold in winter. That's the reason.

They make rugs.

Washable rugs.

Cheap washable rugs.

Cheap washable rugs that can be thrown the gently caress out when they get ratty.

Suspect Bucket posted:

"Flotex Metro Neon". For the weird neon sex dungeon home, or weird neon sex dungeon office.

Holy poo poo, they still make skating rink carpet?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

They make rugs.

Washable rugs.

Cheap washable rugs.

Cheap washable rugs that can be thrown the gently caress out when they get ratty.

I feel like these mats made specifically for the bathroom should be called something.

Mat-baths maybe?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

flosofl posted:

I feel like these mats made specifically for the bathroom should be called something.

Mat-baths maybe?

pee-sopping rugs.

Nasty.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Motronic posted:

pee-sopping rugs.

Nasty.

Oh, yeah. The ones that are fitted for toilets are gross. I was thinking more specifically about the little ones with the rubberized back set just outside the tub.

And seriously, if your flow control is so bad that you need to have a mop on standby every time you tinkle, just give up as a failure at being an adult male and pee sitting down.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

flosofl posted:

pee sitting down.

The plus side to this approach is that you can conveniently use the tank as a desk upon which to set your phone.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!
Ride that can Slater style.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bad Munki posted:

The plus side to this approach is that you can conveniently use the tank as a desk upon which to set your phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90uhvXW1KM

I have to admit, at times it hasn't seemed like the worst idea.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Bad Munki posted:

:what:

Men confuse me.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Side saddle is where it's at.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

sirr0bin posted:

Ride that can Slater style.
I like to imagine that Riker swoops in from behind the toilet, crab-stance, to drop a deuce.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Can we include the Bay Bridge in this group?

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Fears-of-failure-grow-for-rods-on-Bay-Bridge-6588743.php

Caltrans accepted a whole bunch of threaded rods without actually any QA inspection ever having been done. Turns out that the rods aren't threaded to spec, and a separate issue is that a number of them are cracking.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

flosofl posted:

And seriously, if your flow control is so bad that you need to have a mop on standby every time you tinkle, just give up as a failure at being an adult male and pee sitting down.

You think it's all going in, but there's always a drop or two that goes wide. This accumulates over time.

Or it comes out sideways first thing in the morning.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bad Munki posted:

Except that idiot designers make the cistern lids curved instead of flat.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah the white carpet thing.. just.. ugh

its like do your feet not collect dirt or do you hover on a cushion of clean smugness?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

~Coxy posted:

Except that idiot designers make the cistern lids curved instead of flat.

Just put carpet on it to keep your things from slipping off.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Can we include the Bay Bridge in this group?

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Fears-of-failure-grow-for-rods-on-Bay-Bridge-6588743.php

Caltrans accepted a whole bunch of threaded rods without actually any QA inspection ever having been done. Turns out that the rods aren't threaded to spec, and a separate issue is that a number of them are cracking.
So you're saying I should avoid driving on the bay bridge at all costs. Got it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

SneakyFrog posted:

yeah the white carpet thing.. just.. ugh

its like do your feet not collect dirt or do you hover on a cushion of clean smugness?

Take your shoes off in the house. White carpet is good, you can bleach the crap out of it without getting awful bleach stains.

e: just noticed the background, ignore me :ughh:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Manslaughter posted:

Take your shoes off in the house. White carpet is good, you can bleach the crap out of it without getting awful bleach stains.

e: just noticed the background, ignore me :ughh:

:neckbeard:

I havent made a blocky picture in a while.. sue me

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Zereth posted:

So you're saying I should avoid driving on the bay bridge at all costs. Got it.

The whole project was plagued with the "Stop performing inspections; if the bridge isn't built on time, I won't get my bonus!" mentality.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Safety Dance posted:

The whole project was plagued with the "Stop performing inspections; if the bridge isn't built on time, I won't get my bonus!" mentality.

It's still not as completely loving hilarious as Big Bertha up in Seattle.

I mean, they need to tear down the Alaskan Way viaduct, because it's obsolete and a decent quake is going to pancake it, Lomo-Prieta style. And it's a lovely road that completely cuts the city off from its own waterfront. So instead of just replacing it with nothing except good urban waterfront stuff, or just surface streets, they decide they're going to engage in a project that makes Boston's Big Dig look like a miracle of financial restraint: bury a replacement highway! I mean, sure, it's just another way to get traffic to bypass local merchants and such, but you could put parks and stuff on top of it and still come out ahead? But what if the tunnel machinebreaks? Or what if it starts screwing up the foundation supports for the nearby historic buildings of the district you're digging under? What about cost overruns? "Oh, none of that will happen."

And of course, all of that happened. The best part is what the tunnel-boring machine struck to break it in the first place a steel well casing left over from the initial spoil-sample wells. No, wait, the best part is that while the state passed a law making Seattle responsible for all cost overruns, and Seattle passed a law limiting its liability to cost overruns to $x million (some specific number, I forget what), the overruns are already rapidly reaching that value, at which point the prime stops getting paid, probably walks off the job, and a lot of lawyers get to buy new boats. And, of course, paying for the overruns has already depleted the funds that were supposed to go to building parks and other nice urban waterfront things at ground level.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Phanatic posted:

I mean, they need to tear down the Alaskan Way viaduct, because it's obsolete and a decent quake is going to pancake it, Lomo-Prieta style. And it's a lovely road that completely cuts the city off from its own waterfront. So instead of just replacing it with nothing except good urban waterfront stuff, or just surface streets, they decide they're going to engage in a project that makes Boston's Big Dig look like a miracle of financial restraint: bury a replacement highway! I mean, sure, it's just another way to get traffic to bypass local merchants and such, but you could put parks and stuff on top of it and still come out ahead? But what if the tunnel machinebreaks? Or what if it starts screwing up the foundation supports for the nearby historic buildings of the district you're digging under? What about cost overruns? "Oh, none of that will happen."

And of course, all of that happened. The best part is what the tunnel-boring machine struck to break it in the first place a steel well casing left over from the initial spoil-sample wells. No, wait, the best part is that while the state passed a law making Seattle responsible for all cost overruns, and Seattle passed a law limiting its liability to cost overruns to $x million (some specific number, I forget what), the overruns are already rapidly reaching that value, at which point the prime stops getting paid, probably walks off the job, and a lot of lawyers get to buy new boats. And, of course, paying for the overruns has already depleted the funds that were supposed to go to building parks and other nice urban waterfront things at ground level.

They should have just flattened the viaduct (its a 9/100 on safety and cracking) and turned it into a flat drive.

I completely refuse to drive on the viaduct and 520 unless I absolutely have to.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 26, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Living in the Chicago area, I wasn't aware of this so did some quick googling and read a couple of your local newspaper articles.

Holy poo poo, that whole thing is hosed.

From what I read, even the city council realizes they're stuck with STL, because after what's been happening no other contractor will want to touch this with a 10 foot pole. And theres worries that STL's internal finances may run out (if I read that correctly), and they've already spent $1bn of a budgeted $1.35bn and there's a still a lot of tunnel to go.

At this point, aren't they more or less committed? If they end up having to flatten the viaduct, won't they have to do something about this aborted hole in the ground? Not to mention the costs involved with that after pissing away over $1bn dollars.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

flosofl posted:

Living in the Chicago area, I wasn't aware of this so did some quick googling and read a couple of your local newspaper articles.

Dude, I live in Philly, I'm enjoying this with all the detachment that being 3000 miles away from a 1st-magnitude Mongolian cluster gently caress can bring.

Reading the old articles from the Stranger, the local alternaweekly, is hilarious, because every single reason they objected to the tunnel came true in spades.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
https://twitter.com/stuckbertha is good for some laughs.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Trying to avoid a crappy construction tale:

I'm about to embark upon a 500' directional drilling project to bring my electrical and fiber Internet lines from the public road to my house via underground conduit. I'm tired of my forest taking out utility poles that I'm responsible for at $7500 a pop (limited access for repair and installation drive up the cost).

Will the power lines for 320-amp electrical service interfere with my fiber Internet line? The contractor was vague on this, and I want to make sure we do it right. Nothing is worth compromising my sweet fiber internet connection!

Edit: He's putting two pvc conduits in the same bore, one for electric, one for fiber. That kosher?

High Lord Elbow fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 26, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They should be in separate conduits as your contractor is doing (this is a safety issue) but even if they weren't there would be no interference.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Assuming the conduit is sized sufficiently that it doesn't turn into a tubular oven, and also assuming that your fiber is just fiber without any weird unshielded control-voltage conductors running with it, and assuming that the person installing it does so properly so pulling one doesn't gently caress up the other, then yes it'd be fine. However that's several assumptions, which is several more than you should be really comfortable with, I'd run another conduit.

edit: oh. you are. it's fine then

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah.....we wouldn't be fine with just one if the utility company is sane.

I don't know of anywhere that allows mixing medium/high voltage with low volt/no volt. As long as the fiber isn't pulled wrong (exceed the bend radius or tensile strength) everything should be fine.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phanatic posted:

In a way, that reminds me of what happened in Germany 6 years ago, when they were building a new subway in the city of Cologne and managed to entirely collapse the city's historical archive.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

flosofl posted:

Oh, yeah. The ones that are fitted for toilets are gross. I was thinking more specifically about the little ones with the rubberized back set just outside the tub.

A weird acquaintance of my wife (our kids play together) told her that her husband has chosen to sit down to pee now.
I don't know why he would do that, or why his wife volunteered that info to someone she barely knows.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

canyoneer posted:

A weird acquaintance of my wife (our kids play together) told her that her husband has chosen to sit down to pee now.
I don't know why he would do that, or why his wife volunteered that info to someone she barely knows.

"Why would you think it's okay to share that?"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Why not sit down to pee at home? It's not like it's some grotty public toilet where you'd rather splash the floor than touch the seat.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GotLag posted:

Why not sit down to pee at home? It's not like it's some grotty public toilet where you'd rather splash the floor than touch the seat.

Because I don't want to commit to that sort of long-term relationship with the toilet for something as quick as taking a piss. It's a matter of overhead, you see.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You don't have to sweet talk the seat and buy it dinner.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GotLag posted:

You don't have to sweet talk the seat and buy it dinner.

Maybe you don't.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Motronic posted:

Yeah.....we wouldn't be fine with just one if the utility company is sane.

I don't know of anywhere that allows mixing medium/high voltage with low volt/no volt. As long as the fiber isn't pulled wrong (exceed the bend radius or tensile strength) everything should be fine.

If you hear them mention a "chugger" then I would be concerned. Should be fine .

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
The neon light of amontillado?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why is it in a form of a question?