Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

poptart_fairy posted:

How is the engineer specialization by the way? Can you forget about dancing between kits and stuff to be decent, and just focus on hitting poo poo with a giant hammer?

It's awesome, more like an entirely different class than chronomancer's enhanced version of mesmer. And yeah, I ditched kits and just hang out in hammer with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I thought my video card was dying from the flickering on my screen then I looked up and saw the billion helicopters :saddowns:

Aw man, did no one take a screen cap? Hopefully it is just as bugged out for us, because that sounds really horrible fun.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Schpyder posted:

It's awesome, more like an entirely different class than chronomancer's enhanced version of mesmer. And yeah, I ditched kits and just hang out in hammer with it.

Awesome, looks I'll get the engineer going again then. :)

I liked the idea of kits but found them so annoying.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I never thought I would say this but my elite specialization pick of the bunch is Daredevil. Yes, daredevil.

The physical skills add so much to the class, and change it to a really visceral punchy melee playstyle. Not only do you get the extra dodge, but you also get just a loving boatload of stuns. By the time you get the elite (which is incredible, and really short cd) you can kill most mobs up to Veterans by just giving them a brutal fisting with one set of cooldowns.

My biggest issue with Thief was always that the d/d invis, backstab, invis playstyle was boring, and that the reactive evasion was limited enough that you had to know all the tells to be able to avoid a lot of things. Daredevil gives way more leniency in this approach, changes the play completely, and is overall really great.

Level a Daredevil today.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I quit playing this game a few years ago after I burned myself getting a legendary hammer (Juggernaut?). I know the expansion came out, but is now a good time to come back? Are they still doing the thing where they put content in the game for two weeks then remove it forever? That always bugged me.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

poptart_fairy posted:

Awesome, looks I'll get the engineer going again then. :)

I liked the idea of kits but found them so annoying.

you need to be touched by the 'tism to fully appreciate them. (my main is engineer)

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Finally maxed out my first elite spec.

Day 3

Brain In A Jar posted:

I never thought I would say this but my elite specialization pick of the bunch is Daredevil. Yes, daredevil.

The physical skills add so much to the class, and change it to a really visceral punchy melee playstyle. Not only do you get the extra dodge, but you also get just a loving boatload of stuns. By the time you get the elite (which is incredible, and really short cd) you can kill most mobs up to Veterans by just giving them a brutal fisting with one set of cooldowns.

My biggest issue with Thief was always that the d/d invis, backstab, invis playstyle was boring, and that the reactive evasion was limited enough that you had to know all the tells to be able to avoid a lot of things. Daredevil gives way more leniency in this approach, changes the play completely, and is overall really great.

Level a Daredevil today.

Agreed. The playstyle is great and it's really strong.

fadam posted:

I quit playing this game a few years ago after I burned myself getting a legendary hammer (Juggernaut?). I know the expansion came out, but is now a good time to come back? Are they still doing the thing where they put content in the game for two weeks then remove it forever? That always bugged me.

Yes. Game is good. Good time to play game.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So I gotta say I am kind of disappointed with the Dragon Hunter. Granted, I am only half way though the tree due to the massive amount of points it takes, but I am just not feeling it. The damage feels very meh. Fully upgraded does it become competitive?

Reverent on the other hand is a loving blast. I got mine up to 51 or 52 and it just feels fantastic. I wish the heal on Shiro was a bit better, but other wise it is fantastic.

Also, can I get invited to the clan even though I am on Yaks Bend?

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 26, 2015

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

poptart_fairy posted:

How is the engineer specialization by the way? Can you forget about dancing between kits and stuff to be decent, and just focus on hitting poo poo with a giant hammer?

I love it to death. It's the only elite spec I think I'll be doing outside of the Revenant one.

I'm still using grenades quite a bit but I've got the blast and shredder gyros in my other two utility slots. It's glorious.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

I got world completion on all my characters except my brand new revenant. I was expecting day 1.

I think it's safe to say just about nobody expected it to take this long to unlock elite specs.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

If this was mastery, I would agree with you.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I maxed out two Elite specs in two days. :smuggo:

WvW is reeeaaallly good for Hero points. Basically every time you gain a WvW rank you get a chest that has items that you can trade for Hero points. Each chest has 2-4 of the item. With xp and wvw boosts and a decent Ktrain, you can rank up extremely fast. SMC alone gives like 3/4 of a level with boosts.

The hero point item is character bound, but the chest is account bound, so you can even bank the chests to open on other characters.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Man I don't even have the second gliding skill yet.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

I got world completion on all my characters except my brand new revenant. I was expecting day 1.

I think it's safe to say just about nobody expected it to take this long to unlock elite specs.

Not only that but he's ignoring just how much you played per day. If you were only doing like 2 hours a day then that's pretty quick. There's also whether or not you were using goon trains-- goon trains are a great way to make lemonade out of the situation but they were definitely not how I was hoping to unlock elites and pretty much kneecap any sense of map exploration.

Totbot posted:

WvW is reeeaaallly good for Hero points. Basically every time you gain a WvW rank you get a chest that has items that you can trade for Hero points. Each chest has 2-4 of the item. With xp and wvw boosts and a decent Ktrain, you can rank up extremely fast. SMC alone gives like 3/4 of a level with boosts.

The hero point item is character bound, but the chest is account bound, so you can even bank the chests to open on other characters.

I'm gonna try this.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Not only that but he's ignoring just how much you played per day. If you were only doing like 2 hours a day then that's pretty quick. There's also whether or not you were using goon trains-- goon trains are a great way to make lemonade out of the situation but they were definitely not how I was hoping to unlock elites and pretty much kneecap any sense of map exploration.

Why did you do the train if you wanted to explore?

Exploring the new zones and trying to find my way to all the hidden stuff is my favorite part of the expansion. It's kind of sad if you ruined that just to leapfrog the progression mechanic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes thank you for telling me how to prioritize what I wanted to play in the expansion and how I wanted to play it.

What was the original pitch for the vanilla launch again?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
ITT we are genuinely disappointed that we can't just blow the entire expansion out of the water in a night so we can say it's bad.

Living Story, how I long for your temporary embrace.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Yes thank you for telling me how to prioritize what I wanted to play in the expansion and how I wanted to play it.

What was the original pitch for the vanilla launch again?

You don't know how to have fun in a game and it's sad. You are the saddest poster in at least the last three pages.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Am I supposed to remove the name to protect the innocent? :ohdear:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Apparently, ArenaNet are looking into the population issues in HoT maps. Hopefully something comes of this, because the expansion would be a lot more fun with enough people around to do events with.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
If you guys are hurting for HoT mastery exp and have at least gotten to Dragon's Stand, try finding an organized group there and follow a commander tag. A single run down a lane with the events popping up can net several hundred-thousands of exp, and that group might be the one to beat the meta-event (which, afaik, has only been beaten once). Good loot, too.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Got burnt out doing map completion a couple of months ago (at 89%), hopped back in. I want to finish Season 2 story, but felt that exp was being "wasted" by not unlocking masteries first. So I did the first 2 chapters of HoT story, plan was to now switch back to doing story/map completion.

Like unlocking masteries, is there anything else I should do first or daily or anything, before going back to Vanilla content I want to wrap up before moving on to HoT content?

I'm a warrior, if that matters. No idea if it's worth unlocking my elite spec before that stuff. Still just running whatever build the internet told me to run a few months ago.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Totbot posted:

Would edge of the mists be faster?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Totbot posted:

Well gently caress, maybe I'll do that. WvW is more fun than hero point hunting at the moment--then I can just explore the HoT areas at my own pace secure in the knowledge that I've got my elite spec unlocked and everything is fine.

WvW wins again! :smuggo:

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

malhavok posted:

Would edge of the mists be faster?

Probably. I'm in T1 myself, and yesterday a lot of the guilds on the different servers agreed to ktrain each other's sides for a few hours. EoTM is probably faster normally.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Well stronghold has taken over my want's to do anything else in GW2. Need to get a good 5 man team going to premade stronghold games.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Uziduke posted:

Well stronghold has taken over my want's to do anything else in GW2. Need to get a good 5 man team going to premade stronghold games.

I have zero experience with pvp, but this sounds interesting. Def would be interested in groups.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

ItBurns posted:

ITT we are genuinely disappointed that we can't just play through the expansion content with our elite spec rather than earning that spec as the end reward of said content.

FTFY

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

mike12345 posted:

I have zero experience with pvp, but this sounds interesting. Def would be interested in groups.

Have you played a MOBA before?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Azazell0 posted:

I've been trying out Chronomancer, and it's fun, but on the other hand it requires me to give up some excellent traits. Basically I normally run a Domination-Dueling-Illusion shatter, and now I have to give up at least one line of excellent shatter traits. Domination has Imagined burden (and Mental anguish), Illusion has Master of Fragmentation (plus lots of good minor traits) and Dueling has of course Deceptive evasion. I've run that build open world for so long it's like my second nature.

What kind of chronomancers do other mesmers here run? Also, what's the best way to use continuum split?

I've basically dropped the illusion line since illusionary persona went baseline, I haven't missed it at all and this was before the chronomancer came out.

I think you could make a case for any of the 3 lines to be dropped: with the phantasm respawn and clone spawn on shatter in the chrono line, you might not need deceptive evasion. I'm also not very sure about the effectiveness of mental anguish either, it seems rare that I catch a mob right when it's not doing anything. However I do think the illusions line is the weakest out of the 3.

So my method of continuum split: let all cooldowns come up > pop 3 clones/illusions > CS > drop timewarp, wells, some sort of dps skill sword 2 for me usually, (0or heals depending on the situation) > repeat once CS stops.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lyer posted:

So my method of continuum split: let all cooldowns come up > pop 3 clones/illusions > CS > drop timewarp, wells, some sort of dps skill sword 2 for me usually, (0or heals depending on the situation) > repeat once CS stops.

Well of Eternity is a particularly good heal to use with Continuum Split if you can time it right. Drop the well towards the end of your CS duration, then when you hop back to the normal timeline, you can catch the ending heal and then still have your healing skill available.

Turns out I really like the wells. Well of Calamity basically has a permanent place on my bar right now.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

You still have the issue that the story is (was) gated by the masteries which nobody intended to level which required doing events in the zone that nobody intended to explore which is coincidentally how you would find the mastery and hero points that nobody wants.

Why can't elite specs be a login reward for loyal veterans? Why did anet even make new maps if they were just going to fill them with so much content that it takes more than 3 hours to complete?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Azazell0 posted:

I've been trying out Chronomancer, and it's fun, but on the other hand it requires me to give up some excellent traits. Basically I normally run a Domination-Dueling-Illusion shatter, and now I have to give up at least one line of excellent shatter traits. Domination has Imagined burden (and Mental anguish), Illusion has Master of Fragmentation (plus lots of good minor traits) and Dueling has of course Deceptive evasion. I've run that build open world for so long it's like my second nature.

What kind of chronomancers do other mesmers here run? Also, what's the best way to use continuum split?

Without going too far into ~balance~, I'll just say that phantasm builds are absolutely absurd right now. I've soloed most of the champion hero points that people are complaining about using a signet build with phantasms (Dom, dueling, illusions).

That being said, my shatter build is taking the normal Dom/dueling traits but then swapping out for the top three chrono traits to get that 100% crit chance. I'm using sword and pistol offhand with sword in both main slots. The damage is pretty insane and I can still slot utilities like blink/mantras that make getting around the new zones a lot easier.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 26, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ItBurns posted:

You still have the issue that the story is (was) gated by the masteries which nobody intended to level which required doing events in the zone that nobody intended to explore which is coincidentally how you would find the mastery and hero points that nobody wants.

Why can't elite specs be a login reward for loyal veterans? Why did anet even make new maps if they were just going to fill them with so much content that it takes more than 3 hours to complete?

You're conveniently ignoring that there are real problems with those zones that even ArenaNet have acknowledged, like how the player caps for them are far too low and they end up feeling empty. Really dangerous zones are cool, and these particular zones are very well-made, but they only work when there are plenty of players around to do the events with. That ties back into the mastery issue, which is that they require a lot of XP to level, and the best way to get that XP is to do events, but those events are a huge pain in the rear end because there aren't enough people around to do them with. Goon guilds can sidestep this a bit because there's a ton of us so we can all just group up and do them together, but "just join a huge guild" isn't a good answer for the majority of players and runs counter to GW2's intended open-world design.

Hopefully, it'll be fixed sooner than later, though.

I also don't think it's too crazy to want to do most of Heart of Thorns as your elite spec, rather than doing most of Heart of Thorns to unlock your elite spec.

ItBurns posted:

Without going too far into ~balance~, I'll just say that phantasm builds are absolutely absurd right now. I've soloed most of the champion hero points that people are complaining about using a signet build with phantasms (Dom, dueling, illusions).

The damage reduction on minions might actually be too much, but I'm not complaining. Phantasm builds are nuts in PvE now, which is a nice change from "phantasms get blown up all the goddamn time."

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

ItBurns posted:

No, i said i'm interested in the new content, but i want to play it as a scrapper not become a scrapper at the end... wait, this is going right over your head isn't it? I'll try again.

What a wonderful little strawman you've built there! Mummy loves you, little aspie retard.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
You have to slow your roll when discussing RAGE WHINING the game to Nilgoow.

ItBurns posted:

Exploring the new zones and trying to find my way to all the hidden stuff is my favorite part of the expansion.

ItBurns posted:

required doing events in the zone that nobody intended to explore

You spin me right round spin me right round

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Thyrork posted:

Am I supposed to remove the name to protect the innocent? :ohdear:

No, you should never hide the glory of Koss and His name.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Sjonnar posted:

No, i said i'm interested in the new content, but i want to play it as a scrapper not become a scrapper at the end... wait, this is going right over your head isn't it? I'll try again.

What a wonderful little strawman you've built there! Mummy loves you, little aspie retard.

:allears:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

treizebee posted:

You have to slow your roll when discussing RAGE WHINING the game to Nilgoow.

You spin me right round spin me right round

This is good. Very good. Other guy, take notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Uziduke posted:

Have you played a MOBA before?

only once or twice. didn't really click but for some reason doing the same with my anime princess sounds more intriguing

• Locked thread