Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hilariously (well not really) we stopped in Natchez, MS for the Balloon Races and a brief stay at NaNas before going back home. Took Nora to the festival during the day, left her at Nana's for the night while the wife and I finally got three hours alone to ourselves... only to meet up with one of her friends and newly adopted 6 year old whom I played with all night and now have the strained back muscles to go along with it. Can't complain though the kid was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

rgocs posted:

I think he was being sarcastic and actually agreeing with you.

Yup. I have three kids. You can pry naptime from my cold dead fingers.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just a photo, nothing else I just thought it came out nice, walking to the playground next to our house on a saturday morning:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Nice. Playground equipment manufactured by Hags?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Groke posted:

I think they left a bowl of milk out and it was built by leprechauns overnight.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

Do people not remember what it was like to have kids? Holy poo poo.

The irony is that some of the time the "people" are those whom have raised kids, such as my parents. Also probably shades of what AlistairCookie posted as well.

Groke posted:

Haggis

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Seriously: Hags is the name of a Scandinavian company that manufactures playground equipment, and I am getting to where I can often identify the manufacturer of such ar some distance.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I did see a plaque with the manufacturers name but I can't remember it, probably HAGS though.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

Groke posted:

Yup. I have three kids. You can pry naptime from my cold dead fingers.

I am sleep deprived because my baby is teething and screaming at odd times of night and refusing to nap some days. It breaks my ability to read meaning from words. Please nap tomorrow, kid. Mama was gonna nap too.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Avalinka posted:

Mama was gonna nap too.

Thats not how it works, you can't make plans that depend on nap-time going smoothly. You've got to make plans that a napping baby would screw up, that's when you're guaranteed an inconveniently sleepy baby.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

well that went fast, surgeries in a weeks time for the kids (google pollicization procedure if you want to know, GIS might contain strong images).

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Sockmuppet posted:

Thats not how it works, you can't make plans that depend on nap-time going smoothly. You've got to make plans that a napping baby would screw up, that's when you're guaranteed an inconveniently sleepy baby.

Make plans to meet up with a friend and you are guaranteed the deepest heaviest nap of your whole week will start just before you have to leave the house.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Charmmi posted:

Make plans to meet up with a friend and you are guaranteed the deepest heaviest nap of your whole week will start just before you have to leave the house.

But then if you deliberately do this, your child won't nap AT ALL and will be insufferable the whole time because they are overtired.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grain of salt, obviously, since it's a newish study, but new evidence is coming out that feeding your kids potentially allergenic foods can prevent allergies later.

quote:

In the past, parents of babies at high risk of developing allergies were advised to wait 12 months to 36 months before introducing commonly allergenic foods.

"At the time we thought that if you allowed the infants' immune system and gut to mature it would decrease the chance that they would become allergic," said Abrams, who co-authored the review with Dr. Allan Becker.

Instead of food allergy rates dropping, as was expected, there was an increase in some areas.

"For example, in the U.K., when they started avoiding peanut there was as much as a tripling of peanut allergy," said Abrams.

Later studies "found that giving the foods late did not prevent allergies and in fact may actually increase the risk that these children would become allergic."

Groups including the Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology now call for introducing peanuts to high-risk kids at between four and 11 months of age.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

That's been the thought/direction for at least a few years now. Seems more studies are coming out that are confirming it.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I know I gave my daughter peanut butter pretty early. I think around 6 months old? Everything I read recommended that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Apogee15 posted:

I know I gave my daughter peanut butter pretty early. I think around 6 months old? Everything I read recommended that.

Yeah our allergist told us to do that. We did a few times successfully but she developed a reaction anyway. Lame.

We also asked him whether we should give her small amounts of egg and milk to try to wean her off her (very mild) allergic reaction to those. He said that theory was too young to recommend. My mom and dad (both medical professionals) recommended it though so we've been trying it slowly and always with our epi-pen nearby. Seems to be working so far.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Yeah our allergist told us to do that. We did a few times successfully but she developed a reaction anyway. Lame.

The daughter of some friends developed a peanut allergy when she was 7 months old or so; but by 2 years old she wasn't allergic anymore. There's still hope!

There was some research in the UK regarding how (UNDER MEDICAL SURVEILLANCE) feeding peanuts to allergic kids could help them outgrow the allergy. I repeat, under medical surveillance, if your kid is allergic don't go all cowboy and do it on your own.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

rgocs posted:

The daughter of some friends developed a peanut allergy when she was 7 months old or so; but by 2 years old she wasn't allergic anymore. There's still hope!

There was some research in the UK regarding how (UNDER MEDICAL SURVEILLANCE) feeding peanuts to allergic kids could help them outgrow the allergy. I repeat, under medical surveillance, if your kid is allergic don't go all cowboy and do it on your own.

Yeah we agreed that we'd expose her to low doses of egg and milk since those are outgrown pretty often, but both agreed not to do it with Peanut stuff. Her reaction to the peanuts before was just as mild as her reaction to milk, but we're aware of how severe peanut allergies can be so we didn't want to take that chance. That said she's eaten (accidentally) quite a few things that contain smaller amounts of peanuts and hasn't had a single reaction so hopefully there IS still hope like you said!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sheri posted:

That's been the thought/direction for at least a few years now. Seems more studies are coming out that are confirming it.

Yeah I more posted it because I remember when we started Sydney on solid food there was a ton of conflicting information, but it seems like there's a bit more of a consensus to try out potentially allergenic things like a lot of us seem to be doing.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

MoCookies posted:

I haven't tried those specific ones, but have a bunch of other cloth diapers. My favorites are still the BumGenius 4.0s with snaps. I looked into the gDiapers at first too, but I think I would now find that style too fussy compared to pocket diapers - and they're just as expensive. Our diaper stash is about half pocket diapers, and half prefolds with covers, and then a handful of things I just have one of because I wanted to see how much I like them. Prefolds are pretty awesome because they're super inexpensive, easy to wash, and easy to grab and use as a burp cloth or changing pad. Green Mountain Diapers has a great reputation for their prefolds.

If you live in Australialand, what's an accessible equivalent of a GMD prefold? I'm tempted to spend $20 on a pack of basic 'terry towel cotton' type diaper/nappy cloths (320gsm, ~60cm square) to see how big they are and how likely they'd be able to be used as an insert for a cover on a newborn/infant. Otherwise I think I could probably order Bubblebubs Unbleached Cotton Prefolds in the infant size and just wing it with the slightly larger size for the interim, or maybe something off of here http://www.darlingsdownunder.com.au/shop/boosters-inserts. For once I'm not trawling alieexpress for bargain basement stuff, I've seen too many bad reviews now.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

We use osocozy. Not sure how the pricing is for australia but it looks available. Quality is great!

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Our 13-day old daughter (:toot:) seems to have a really hard time pooing. She does poo, but it seems like she spends a large amount of her waking time trying to poo. It's often small ones and sometimes big ones, lots of gas though.

I don't remember our first son having such a hard time. They were both exclusively breastfed, he was a happy-go spitter-upper and she won't burp no matter how long we try to have her do it. She is healthy otherwise, quite awake, gaining weight, eating and sleeping as she should.

Anyone experienced that with your baby? Could it be something in mom's diet?

fake edit: I just googled a bit more and came across "infant dyschezia", should pass soon if so.
(http://www.aboutkidsgi.org/site/lower-gi-disorders/childhood-defecation-disorders/infant-dyschezia)

kells
Mar 19, 2009
Yeah my daughter was like that, we said she was learning how to use her body. She got over it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I need discipline advice. I don't want to spank (although my wife does and hoo boy that's quite the argument inducing topic), but Nora is 14 months old and starting to see what she can get away with. If I take her to daycare (where she's going through a "don't want to be here phase" ever since we spent a week at the beach) - as soon as we walk in the room - she slaps me in the face. If we're at home and trying to do something we don't like (taking a toy away, brushing teeth, although most times she likes it) she'll try to pop me across the face. Every time I try to take a stern voice she just laughs (babies really ARE assholes).

I want to avoid physical punishment (although I did reflexively spat her hand the other day when she slapped me hard... she just laughed when I did it though) so what's some good literature to look at? I know she's not at the age to make that "oh ok ... not supposed to be doing this. My bad!" decision, but I just want to make sure I setup the proper foundations for future disciplines.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I usually just firmly say no, then take away whatever toy she was playing with at the time. If she wasn't playing with a toy at the time, then I just separate her from whatever thing she was doing for a bit(which might be just me getting up and walking away from her if she was playing with me) and ignore her for a bit.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BonoMan posted:

I need discipline advice. I don't want to spank (although my wife does and hoo boy that's quite the argument inducing topic), but Nora is 14 months old and starting to see what she can get away with. If I take her to daycare (where she's going through a "don't want to be here phase" ever since we spent a week at the beach) - as soon as we walk in the room - she slaps me in the face. If we're at home and trying to do something we don't like (taking a toy away, brushing teeth, although most times she likes it) she'll try to pop me across the face. Every time I try to take a stern voice she just laughs (babies really ARE assholes).

I want to avoid physical punishment (although I did reflexively spat her hand the other day when she slapped me hard... she just laughed when I did it though) so what's some good literature to look at? I know she's not at the age to make that "oh ok ... not supposed to be doing this. My bad!" decision, but I just want to make sure I setup the proper foundations for future disciplines.

Okay you're gonna look at me funny, but the dog training thread is actually highly relevant here because this type of conditioning applies to all mammals. Especially this part:

quote:

A,iii - Extinction

In general, a conditioned response will gradually disappear if not reinforced through the process of extinction. For instance, if Pavlov stopped offering meat powder after sounding the tone for a period of time, the dogs will cease to salivate since the association between the tone and the food is no longer being reinforced. This is why ignored behaviours often stop since the dog is no longer being reinforced for providing them.

However, some behaviours are self-reinforcing, and therefore very difficult to extinguish. For example, a dog often finds barking to be a pleasurable response to various stimuli (barking is FUN!) so even if you ignore a barking dog they're very unlikely to stop this behaviour since they're reinforcing it themselves. That's not to say that you can't train a barking dog to be less barky, but it requires a different approach than to ignore it.

(Thanks to Rixatrix for this section.)

A,iv - Operant conditioning

Operant conditioning accounts for most of what we learn every day.

In classical conditioning, the neutral stimulus and unconditioned response are predictably paired, and the result is an association between the two. (Then the conditioned stimulus triggers the conditioned response.) Stimuli occur before or along with the conditioned response. But dogs (and humans) also learn many associations between responses and stimuli that follow them – between a behaviour and its consequences.

Operant conditioning is all about consequences, whether they're good or bad. Learning is governed by the law of effect which states that if an action is followed by a satisfying effect the action is more likely to be repeated the next time the stimulus is present, and if an action is followed by an unsatisfying effect it is less likely to be repeated. The subject learns by operating on the environment, hence the term operant conditioning.

In classical conditioning the conditioned response does not affect whether or when the stimulus occurs. Pavlov's dogs salivated when the buzzer sounded, but the salivation had no effect on the buzzer or on whether food was presented. To contrast, an operant has some effect on the world. A child says “I'm hungry” and then is fed, the child has made an operant response that influences when food will appear. If a dog sits and then is fed, the dog has made an operant response that has also influenced when food will appear.

A,v - Reinforcement and punishment

There are four quadrants of consequences that follow a response in operant conditioning. They are positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, positive punishment, and negative punishment. A reinforcer increases the likelihood of a behaviour happening again, and a punishment decreases the likelihood of a behaviour happening again. The term “positive” means you're adding something to the environment, “negative” means that you're taking something away from the environment. To clarify:

Positive reinforcement (R+): So, based on the definitions I just gave, a positive reinforcer is something you provide to the dog that will increase the likelihood of a behaviour repeating itself. Example: a treat following a dog sitting after you ask it to sit.

Negative reinforcement (R-): A negative reinforcer is when you take something away from the environment to increase the likelihood of a behaviour repeating itself. Example: upwards tension on a leash is released once a dog has sat after being asked to sit.

Positive punishment (P+): Positive punishment is adding something to the environment to decrease the likelihood of a behaviour repeating. Example: When you reprimand a dog for jumping up on visitors.

Negative punishment (P-): Negative punishment is when you remove something from the environment to decrease the likelihood of a behaviour repeating. Example: Putting a dog on “time out” after jumping up on visitors.

Here in Pet Island we like to focus primarily on R+/P- quadrants. We like to reward good behaviour and ignore bad behaviour. If bad behaviour is ignored (and not self reinforced) then its occurrence will decrease. (See the Extinction section in A,iii for more information.)

A,vi - Positive punishment as a training tool

I had someone come up to me a while ago and when I asked how their new pup was fitting in they said things were going well, but the pup was having a hard time understanding what "no" meant. Apparently she (the puppy) would tug at clothes and generally freak out in that special way puppies do, and no amount of, "no no no NO NONONONONO" would stop her. Strange, eh?

Dogs don't understand "No" very well. Try to define what "No" means. "No" has so many diverse applications -- dogs have difficulty keeping track of them all. When it comes to dog behaviour, there are so many wrong answers out there, and so few right ones. So instead of saying "NO", why not tell your dog what you want it to do instead? Instead of saying, "don't bark at visitors" try saying, "when people come over I want you to lay in this bed." Try giving your dog the right answer. You'll find many of the dog-induced headaches will go away if you tell your dogs what to DO, not what NOT TO DO.

This also applies to other types of positive punishment, like leash pops, spanking, poking, etc. The more intense the aversives become the more fallout you risk creating. Dogs may not understand why they're being hit, the same way they may not understand why you're saying "no" at them. They may momentarily shut down (see learned helplessness, section B,iv) and stop the naughty behaviour, but they may not understand why they've been punished. They may think they're being hit because of behaviour A, whereas you were actually reacting to behaviour B. And as soon as you have a dog not understanding why they're being punished, well, you as an owner and a handler have just become a source of unpredictability and stress.

It's really easy for us as people to focus on the negatives and overlook the positives. With dog training you really have to do the opposite: you want to constantly show and reward your dog for doing the correct thing. This way you offer your dog the structure which it craves.

Well, what if the dog is doing something it shouldn't? When this happens I tend to feel that once a dog does something you don't want it to do, you, as a trainer, have lost the game. As a trainer I always try to be one step ahead of my dog and catch bad behaviours before they actually start and refocus her before she screws up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451

Papercut fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 26, 2015

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

BonoMan posted:

Your wife wants to teach a child not to hit....by hitting the baby you are trying to teach not to hit.

That's terrible. I'm sorry. Good luck with that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sheri posted:

Your wife wants to teach a child not to hit....by hitting the baby you are trying to teach not to hit.

That's terrible. I'm sorry. Good luck with that.

Yup that's part of the argument. I'm making progress though. It's a long climb. She came from a physically abusive dad and in the deep south where spanking is seen as a virtue so it's a loving hard nut to crack.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

For hitting and a baby that young I look for cues that they are about to wind up and crack me and either restrain their hands or remove myself from their range. Every instance of hitting is told "no, we do not hit people. Hitting hurts" Every time.

If the hitting is about not being able to get a toy, the toy is removed and an explanation as to why the toy was removed is given. And so forth. The hitting at daycare...can you have her walk in while holding your hand?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

BonoMan posted:

Yup that's part of the argument. I'm making progress though. It's a long climb. She came from a physically abusive dad and in the deep south where spanking is seen as a virtue so it's a loving hard nut to crack.

Probably not a great idea to lay on the guilt on mom, or suggest that she wasn't raised right, nobody reacts well to that. Just present it as "here is the science, lets try this, don't let an 18 month old get so far under your skin that you lose your mind"

But yeah, it really is pretty simple, if the kid does something the kid can't do, than stop the enjoyable activity, explain "we don't hit/bite/dump yogurt on the couch", let them (and you) chill out in your separate corners for a minute or two, then back to whatever was fun. Doesn't get results instantly, but nothing does. Whatever behavior the child is doing that you can't stand another instant will eventually fall by the wayside in a few weeks or months. And be replaced by a bright-new thing that you can't stand for another instant.

Interruption style punishments don't need to be very much time at all, it isn't like a toddler has enough attention span to really contemplate their sins on the tree of woe for 5 whole minutes. So just "No, we can't do that lovely thing, you and I are taking a break" then a couple minutes later 'Ok, lets try again." or "Ok, that wasn't working, lets try something else entirely"

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yes, I'd definitely show her the science about what every medical and mental health professional organization says about spanking. It ain't good.

Also, a 14 month old is a literal baby. They will be confused and horrified as to why the people they trust most in the world are purposefully hurting them. I mean, the kid doesn't even speak primitive sentences and your wife wants to hit her? For displaying completely normal toddler behavior. That's so, so sad.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

sheri posted:

For hitting and a baby that young I look for cues that they are about to wind up and crack me and either restrain their hands or remove myself from their range. Every instance of hitting is told "no, we do not hit people. Hitting hurts" Every time.

If the hitting is about not being able to get a toy, the toy is removed and an explanation as to why the toy was removed is given. And so forth. The hitting at daycare...can you have her walk in while holding your hand?

Yeah I get hit far less than my wife by my son because I grew up with an older brother who bullied me so I know exactly when someone is about to try to hit me, and she grew up as the little sister to a protective okay brother so she never, ever sees it coming. Every time I can tell he is about to smack her or head butt or yank her glasses but it is impossible for me to intervene in time. When he does it to me I always dodge or catch his attack so it's less an issue. Wish I could somehow pass on my reflexes to my wife.

We just say "Do not hit mommy, hit this pillow instead", or " Do not hit, hug. " Or whatever.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sheri posted:

I basically say that verbatim every time! And I was also thinking the same thing about walking her in too! I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens.

Slo-Tek posted:

Probably not a great idea to lay on the guilt on mom, or suggest that she wasn't raised right, nobody reacts well to that. Just present it as "here is the science, lets try this, don't let an 18 month old get so far under your skin that you lose your mind"

Yeah I've definitely learned not to lay it on thick. It's a facade I'm sloowwwwwly chipping away at.

sheri posted:

Yes, I'd definitely show her the science about what every medical and mental health professional organization says about spanking. It ain't good.

Also, a 14 month old is a literal baby. They will be confused and horrified as to why the people they trust most in the world are purposefully hurting them. I mean, the kid doesn't even speak primitive sentences and your wife wants to hit her? For displaying completely normal toddler behavior. That's so, so sad.

Oh for the record, no she doesn't want to spank at all at this age. For all of her shortcomings, she knows that would be terrible and do no good. But in a few years she has no problem with it because after all "it worked on me." Which it's hard explaining to a person from an abusive relationship why no in fact it did not work on you.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
On the conditioning front, introducing an alternative activity that also gets the desired response is, from what I understand, also an effective idea?

If she likes getting a reaction, going for ""Do not hit, hug." might not be a bad idea, but you've also got to give them a satisfying enough reaction to the hugging that it becomes a desireable activity in it's own right.

It's been a while since I've taken those courses though, I forget what the name of that approach is, but it can be effective.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I have a copy of the book "Positive Discipline: The First Three Years" by Jane Nelsen, Cheryl Erwin, and Roslyn Ann Duffy. I haven't read it yet as I am well-versed in positive guidance (bought it for my spouse), but a cursory glance just now makes me think it would be a great resource for you and your wife. Actually, it looks like a good read for me too, because when you're in the trenches you need the help and support of positive guidance coaches. It's hard! My best advice is to view discipline as teaching. You want to focus on teaching children (especially young inexperienced children) what to do rather than telling them what not to do. With aggressive behavior, it is also important to consider what is preceding the behavior and the environment. Are you giving her clear warnings about transitions? At this age, I would aim for redirecting her towards the behaviors you want, distraction is often involved. For instance, when my son starts to fight toothbrushing we start counting to five for each section (he loves it when we count). Just now, we started singing goodnight to his toys to get him to put them away when our usual clean up song didn't work. Songs are often more effective than words. Just make them up as you go using simple tunes like mary had a little lamb. Others pointed out what to say with the hitting. Simple clear, "that's not okay" and redirect is what is appropriate at this age.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

rgocs posted:

Our 13-day old daughter (:toot:) seems to have a really hard time pooing.

I have to say, I first read this as 13-year old daughter, and was...nonplussedly bemused.

Regarding discipline, I've tried really hard to avoid the overly physical punishments like spanking, but I also have a bit of a bad temper, and have at times been a little too rough (in retrospect) with my daughter, generally when I'm quite frustrated with her. I'm not really sure what to do about myself, though. On one hand, there are times when it's like "no, kid, we need to do this RIGHT NOW and would you please just DO IT", and on another hand, I'm not really sure how to approach it with her after the fact.

I'm so used to being able to reason with someone to try and get them to do what I want, or come to a reasonable compromise about what should be done. I really don't know what to do with a threenager who absolutely refuses to budge ever.

(Insert comment about the current state of US politics here).

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
When my kid was that age and discovered the joys of whacking people randomly in the face, I used to hold her hand and say "no hitting, cuddle instead!" - and I'd stroke my cheek with her hand, making a big show of how happy it made me, and made silly faces, and we'd go stroke daddys face, and he'd ham it up too. It seemed to help, it gave her an alternate way to get a funny reaction from us.

Now she's two, and cheerfully pushing limits and doing things she knows she shouldn't be doing, like hitting and throwing stuff. I just grab her hand firmly, say "don't hit people/throw [whatever it is she's throwing], that's not nice", and if she does it again, I immediately end whatever we were doing/take away the thing she's throwing. Despite the lack of evidence so far, I think being consistent is important when it comes to dicipline - if fun stuff ends and things disappear every time she throws/hits, I'm hoping she'll eventually figure out that maybe hitting and throwing isn't such a good idea.

Luckily she's very verbal, so when she's calm, we can talk about being mad and upset and good ways of dealing with it. And we sing the Daniel Tiger-song (god drat, I hate that show, but the anger song is like toddler Prozac) The other day when she was mad at me, she slammed her hand hard against the wall, while looking defiantly at me, like "what are you gonna do about that, huh!". She was baffled when I was all "whatever, go ahead, walls aren't people, get it out of your system!", hit the wall again, then wandered off. Hopefully I'm not setting her up for a life of wall-punching :ohdear:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Our latest development is our three year old climbing out of her cot when we put her in it once we've done stories and prayers and switching her light on. Soon as I close her door, I hear her jump out and run across, stand on the radiator and click. Happened four times last night, so I took the lightbulb out and explained to her I had the light bulb.

Also, she's started waking in the middle of the night doing the same thing. Last night she got out and clicked the light on then started to cry.

I'm guessing I need a night light!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010

nyerf posted:

If you live in Australialand, what's an accessible equivalent of a GMD prefold? I'm tempted to spend $20 on a pack of basic 'terry towel cotton' type diaper/nappy cloths (320gsm, ~60cm square) to see how big they are and how likely they'd be able to be used as an insert for a cover on a newborn/infant. Otherwise I think I could probably order Bubblebubs Unbleached Cotton Prefolds in the infant size and just wing it with the slightly larger size for the interim, or maybe something off of here http://www.darlingsdownunder.com.au/shop/boosters-inserts. For once I'm not trawling alieexpress for bargain basement stuff, I've seen too many bad reviews now.

I'm in Australialand and we used "real nappies" which were good and look similar to GMD?
http://www.real-nappies.com.au/
I got the "Birth to Potty Pack" from e-bay for about half price from someone who had used it for a couple of months before deciding the washing was too much. In my experience a flat terry nappy wouldn't fit in an newborn insert, but they'll fit ok in larger insert when baby is a bit bigger (I can't remember exactly - maybe 6-9mo?)

I'd still recommend getting some flat terry towel nappies. They're great to have around for wiping and absorbing the multitude of bodily fluids and spills in a new parent's life. Another thing to think about if you're going to use cloth nappies, are wipes. I'm not sure what most people use, but I chopped up a bunch of old soft t-shirts and acquired a heap of old face washers, which I wet with water (kept in a squirty bottle on the change table) to use as baby wipes and then washed with the nappies.