Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Sword oath is really dumb though, why not just a flat damage increase like the other tanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Boten Anna posted:

There was just a Live Letter and patch preview video posted that is being discussed.

Patch video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJXDegut2Yg

Hang on, just a second - how do I get the little Dragon Quest Golem pet? (at 1:34)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Don't know if its been posted but Live letter translation.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/155Nv_fnpumdD-ucSS5wEBlo7mO-xeE8ZKXDRxjDt3YI/pub

LMAO at the fat chocobo pet smelling things and doing it more if you're cooking. Also knights of the round EX should be fun assuming they don't use pass the debuff with our lovely net code.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Leofish posted:

Hang on, just a second - how do I get the little Dragon Quest Golem pet? (at 1:34)

Obtained during the Final Fantasy XI / Dragon Quest X / Final Fantasy XIV Collaboration Event (January - February 2014).

:(

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

jigokuman posted:

Obtained during the Final Fantasy XI / Dragon Quest X / Final Fantasy XIV Collaboration Event (January - February 2014).

They're doing another FFXI event soon, and Dragon Quest XI is coming out too! Don't despair. :)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

jigokuman posted:

So I can't now.

Okay then!

Thanks for the reply.

:smith:

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

They're doing another FFXI event soon, and Dragon Quest XI is coming out too! Don't despair. :)

:unsmith:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Boten Anna posted:

Sword oath is really dumb though, why not just a flat damage increase like the other tanks?
It's a damage increase with a gimmick attached to give it (PLD) identity, just like Deliverance and Darkside. Before those came out it competed with Maim and took up the whole 'lots of attacks vs. hitting harder (but has to be maintained)' approach.

Now that Deliverance and Darkside are here it's fallen a bit behind. It's not dumb though, a dynamic damage increase is a bit more interesting than 'press button do better' every 24 seconds.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I keep getting emails going on about the :siren: BRAND NEW EU DATA CENTER :siren:, does this mean I'll be able to get onto Balmung at last or what?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fister Roboto posted:

Considering that warriors have a bunch of powerful GCD abilities that have no TP cost and they can use every 15-20 seconds, there's no reason that shield swipe should have a TP cost. In fact it should restore TP instead.

They said specifically at the letter they're looking at class specific problems like Ninja and PLD TP.

Also I subbed as tank for my static for a couple of weeks. I used PLD or WAR depending on which of our usual tanks was gone. As MT PLD I am around 50-100 DPS fewer than the DRK MT even with more strength and equivalent weapons.

About all that I added as a PLD on A3S was a bit less damage on hand swipes thanks to rage of halone and I could stun lock 2 pistons on the add phase.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 26, 2015

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
What is everyone here's opinion of Gubal? I ran it for the first time this weekend, with my MNK, and I found it to be a fairly fun and well-designed dungeon. I thought the circles on the final boss were a good mechanic, even if it did gently caress us over and cause a wipe the first go.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Anderron Shi posted:

What is everyone here's opinion of Gubal? I ran it for the first time this weekend, with my MNK, and I found it to be a fairly fun and well-designed dungeon. I thought the circles on the final boss were a good mechanic, even if it did gently caress us over and cause a wipe the first go.

Its one of the coolest dungeons in the game and it's tragic that it isn't in another type of roulette. Same with ARF.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Anderron Shi posted:

The library is the best HW dungeon with its silly music, fun boss mechanics and overall theme. It's a drat shame the only reason to run it is if you're going from level 59 to 60.

edit: the place drops kilts, for god's sake. I need more reasons to run it!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

seiferguy posted:

The library is the best HW dungeon with its silly music, fun boss mechanics and overall theme. It's a drat shame the only reason to run it is if you're going from level 59 to 60.

edit: the place drops kilts, for god's sake. I need more reasons to run it!

Well I know what I'm doing tonight, love me some kilt/skirts.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kwyndig posted:

Well I know what I'm doing tonight, love me some kilt/skirts.

I'm gonna be hitting level 59 tonight with my DRK and will probably be doing plenty of runs for gear / experience with the library tonight. If you're on Excal and are a non tanking class, I'd love to not queue alone!

For reference, this is the Library tank kilt coat:

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Holyshoot posted:

Don't know if its been posted but Live letter translation.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/155Nv_fnpumdD-ucSS5wEBlo7mO-xeE8ZKXDRxjDt3YI/pub

LMAO at the fat chocobo pet smelling things and doing it more if you're cooking. Also knights of the round EX should be fun assuming they don't use pass the debuff with our lovely net code.

From that document:

- Ninja Mudras will be adjusted to compensate for players with connection issues
- Algorithm was changed
- For some players it will not improve drastically if your ping is really, really high

I know a lot of posters in this thread have mentioned this, and while I've never played NIN I would love to know how much of a difference the before/after is for this when the patch drops.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If I can stop using a VPN to play Ninja I will be overjoyed

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Blockhouse posted:

If I can stop using a VPN to play Ninja I will be overjoyed

This exactly. The sooner I can ditch WTFast the better.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's a damage increase with a gimmick attached to give it (PLD) identity, just like Deliverance and Darkside. Before those came out it competed with Maim and took up the whole 'lots of attacks vs. hitting harder (but has to be maintained)' approach.

Now that Deliverance and Darkside are here it's fallen a bit behind. It's not dumb though, a dynamic damage increase is a bit more interesting than 'press button do better' every 24 seconds.

No, it's dumb because it's just a flat 25-ish potency per second that doesn't affect anything else. And only to a single target that you have to be facing and attacking. It certainly doesn't affect your already paltry AOE damage.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fister Roboto posted:

No, it's dumb because it's just a flat 25-ish potency per second that doesn't affect anything else. And only to a single target that you have to be facing and attacking. It certainly doesn't affect your already paltry AOE damage.

It also doesn't scale with enmity modifiers, which makes tanking in Sword Oath much more difficult. Deliverance and Darkside both contribute to enmity (as does Maim), while Paladin only has FoF to boost enmity generation outside of Shield Oath.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
This is a fun game and I'm finally on Excal :D

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So with all the speculation on how PLD could be improved, has SE given indication of what they're actually going to do?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Gubal is a really great dungeon and I think it remains so BECAUSE you only do it once or twice per job, so it never has a chance to get stale. Plus you may do LLDR for tomes or something and it can pop up there, so it's not so bad.

Get ready for Gubal HM to be the best dungeon ever though. If they don't remix this music I will unsub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olLIzCLM4e4

EDIT: I am pumped as hell for Pharos HM. I guess Exploratory missions took up the work reserved for a third dungeon that was the norm for these patches, so we may not get as many dungeons between expacs as we did before.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SirPhoebos posted:

So with all the speculation on how PLD could be improved, has SE given indication of what they're actually going to do?

Nope other than something to address TP for ninjas and paladins. They will certainly make some tweaks, but there's no telling exactly what they're doing for sure.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If there's one thing I would have liked to have seen, from a flavor standpoint, it's tying Shield Swipe/Bash damage to block strength to make the decision between kite/buckler/tower more meaningful.

As it stands, people just use the highest ilvl one they can get, as opposed to "is this better".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They can't really do that unless they put all three types at each item level otherwise they'd lose out on mainstat points since a paladin's is split between his sword and shield.

Or they'd have to take substats off the shield entirely.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

Niton posted:

It also doesn't scale with enmity modifiers, which makes tanking in Sword Oath much more difficult.

Which sucks because in 2.0 Sword Oath was the same hate as Shield Oath. They keep making tank stances higher and higher multipliers without looking into the conflicting options because only one tank really has one.

Tank stances were 2x in beta, then moved to 1.5x in 2.0-2.1, moved back to 2x, and are now 2.3x. This is alongside buffs to basic AoE tank abilities like Flash and Overpower. People really struggle with AoE hate it's weird. Sword Oath's 50 potency attacks used to be 2x enmity, and now it's no boost at all.

Paladin needs a Dark Knight sized overhaul. They should move Flash and Clemency to their own GCD like Empyreal Arrow, so you can both Flash and use your combos in a dungeon pull, and heal in between your other combos so you only clip 1-1.5 seconds of GCD time instead of dedicating more than 3 seconds to it, and also softens the impact of interrupts. Being able to flash in between comboing would also make Sword Oath tanking easier. Shield swipe being on the GCD needs to be a lot more powerful, maybe a cleave with heavy AoE damage falloff and a percent chance to reset Circle of Scorn's recast timer. This gives paladin something the other tanks have that is sorely lacking in it, reward for getting beat on. Dark Knights have Blood Price, Warriors have Vengeance, Paladins have nothing, so let their AoE damage come from being targeted.

Sword Oath should be renamed to Lightside and be identical and your Tempered will is now called Light Arts and costs MP and it enables added effects on your renamed Rage of Halone, which is now Light Passenger and make it a conal enmity and Strength down but not conal damage.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

BottledBodhisvata posted:

EDIT: I am pumped as hell for Pharos HM. I guess Exploratory missions took up the work reserved for a third dungeon that was the norm for these patches, so we may not get as many dungeons between expacs as we did before.

Pharos HM is going to be great but I'll be sad when I get to that end boss and he isn't voiced by Tim Curry.

Kind of hoping that Neverreap and Fractal stay in EXDR in 3.1. Not because I'm not sick of them (I am) but to keep me from getting sick of the new dungeons quite so fast.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Pharos HM is going to be great but I'll be sad when I get to that end boss and he isn't voiced by Tim Curry.

Kind of hoping that Neverreap and Fractal stay in EXDR in 3.1. Not because I'm not sick of them (I am) but to keep me from getting sick of the new dungeons quite so fast.

The new dungeons require i170 as opposed to the current i145, so I seriously doubt it.

I suppose they could expand the dungeons in EXDR and just silently queue you for whatever you can do - like, if you're below i170 when you queue it just sticks you in current EXDR, if you're above it queues you for all four dungeons instead of the bottom two. I don't expect that to happen, though.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Singularity Reactor EX????

:getin:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

For Vault, I shouldn't be out DPSing both the DPS and the tank as a while mage, right? If the DPS are Monk and Bard, tank it Warrior?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Azubah posted:

For Vault, I shouldn't be out DPSing both the DPS and the tank as a while mage, right? If the DPS are Monk and Bard, tank it Warrior?

Absolutely not on bosses.

On aoe pulls then eeeehhh. holy+assize+aero3 can lead to ridiculous numbers for short periods.

EDIT: a real dps should still beat you, mind. They would have to be in pretty good form though, meanwhile you have to press 3 buttons.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Just remove Neverreap from the EXDR

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stufoo posted:

Sword Oath should be renamed to Lightside and be identical and your Tempered will is now called Light Arts and costs MP and it enables added effects on your renamed Rage of Halone, which is now Light Passenger and make it a conal enmity and Strength down but not conal damage.

I can't tell if this is joking or not, but dark knight really is the class that paladin should have been.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dubious posted:

Singularity Reactor EX????

:getin:

The Minstrel's Ballad Thordan's Reign

I can't loving wait

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah that last bit is why I'd rather they made Sword Oath a flat damage percent increase instead of some ~*flavor*~ bullshit. I liked, I think it was your idea, to basically swap flash and halone.

That said maybe this would be the simplest way to fix it:

* Sword oath either does a flat 10% increase to DPS, or, to enhance FLAVOR, it does the ~20pps autoattack thing but also boosts the traited flash as outlined next or whatever

* Enhanced Flash now adds an effect that does a 100 (give or take) potency damage, maybe it's Searing Flash now or something. Maybe it keeps the blind effect, but the damage only happens if the blind is resisted or otherwise not applied? If Option 2 of sword oath is taken, it's ~150 potency. This would make some intensely interesting large pack decisions.

* Optional: Circle of Scorn does no damage, but generates a massive amount of enmity.

I really can't think of a simpler way to maybe make PLD interesting and catch up with the other tanks without sacrificing its current identity.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I just want shields to be worthwhile and a real part of the PLD identity. Shield Bash is never usable in a situation where it'd matter, Shield Swipe only comes into play when you're trying to squeeze every last bit out of your TP as you can (or filling that one spare GCD in the Goring Blade-Royal Authorityx2 rotation), Sheltron is a joke of an ability, Bulwark is okay I guess?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

I can't tell if this is joking or not, but dark knight really is the class that paladin should have been.

I can't emphasize this enough. As someone who got PLD to 60 and then hopped on DRK, it's basically an upgrade in every way:

- You can have both tanking and DPS stances up at once
- Despite above, you still need to stance dance at some points in order to maintain your MP and TP (I find stance dancing fun, I might be in the minority here)
- At level 50, you actually have decent DPS combos, compared to PLDs only having fast blade -> riot blade
- You have two AOE enmity-generating skills that do damage that are on GCD compared to PLD's 2, where 1 doesn't do damage and the other is an oGCD attack
- Reprisal is what shield swipe should be - oGCD ability after a parry with a short cooldown
- Low blow is oGCD doesn't interrupt your combo like shield bash does
- Maintaining enmity is never a problem as a DRK

I think how well DRK was implemented is part of PLD's problem. Essentially you don't want to homogenize tanks, but at the same time you need to make sure that all content can be finished by every tank. So any defensive boost that PLD gets can't be at least mitigated as a DRK, and the devs are probably having a hard time figuring that out. It's fine that PLDs are the lowest DPS of the tank classes (you'd expect that with a tiny sword and shield), but if there's any content that can be completed with PLD defensive abilities that make WAR and DRK struggle creates a balance issue.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think the idea behind Dark Knight was to be a sort of "In Between" tank.

Warrior's meant to be the big damage dealing tank. Having the most powerful hits, while Paladin was meant to be the tank with the higher mitigation but did less damage as a response.

Dark Knight was meant to be balanced between the two. It won't do as much damage as a WAR, but it has the unique ability to have its "DPS Stance" on at the same time as its Tanking Stance, so it'll do more damage when in tanking mode. While also being bulkier then WAR.

The issue is that nothing really needs the PLD's higher defenses. So a DRK does just fine for eating Tankbusters and dealing with mitigation.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Just remove Neverreap from the EXDR

Neverreap is fun, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

We can sit here and speculate until we're blue in the face about awesome changes that would revolutionize the class and make it worth playing, but we all know that what's going to happen is they'll increase RoH's potency by 20 and reduce Shield Swipe's TP cost by 10 and call it a day.

• Locked thread