Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did anyone watch Circle? I'm a sucker for those thought experiment type deals.

It was made by Taggart Productions so I watched the whole film as basically a Randian treatise on humanity, and I think it makes the most sense when treated that way.

It's a really stupid movie in the same kind of way that Devil was stupid, but with even less good acting and direction. But not really terrible either.

e: Kung Fury is total dogshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Sarchasm posted:

It Follows is great. Looks and sounds like a million bucks, and leaves the viewer with a lot to think about once the movie is done.

It's not for everybody, but it's a pretty great flick if you like your horror equal parts smart and scary.

Out of all my friends I had only one who did not like this movie, and she was totally unable to articulate why. Ever since then I've been curious, did anyone else who generally likes horror movies not like It Follows? Why?

I didn't think it was a classic or anything, but I definitely enjoyed myself.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Samfucius posted:

Out of all my friends I had only one who did not like this movie, and she was totally unable to articulate why. Ever since then I've been curious, did anyone else who generally likes horror movies not like It Follows? Why?

There will always be a vocal contingent who cannot enjoy a horror film unless the bodycount hits the double digits. It Follows is not for them.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

For some reason, a friend of mine who hates anything and everything generally falling under the banner of "horror movies" went to see It Follows with a group of us, and even she really liked it. It's a crossover hit!

Friend hated the soundtrack, though, which is madness.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gaz2k21 posted:

Watch Turbo Kid it'll blow your mind.....
turbo kid was rad, it was basically scott pilgrim without having some dorky comic book premise

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just flew in to Japan a few days ago (boy are my arms tired) and found that my Netflix magically shifted to Japanese Netflix, presumably for the duration of my visit. What should I watch that I can only watch here? My Japanese is shaky at best, but some of them have English subs. I also suspect--but haven't bothered to confirm--that Netflix has western movies here that they don't have the rights to in America.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Spend 2 hours browsing titles but never watching anything, except now in Japanese

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Do they have Fish Story? That.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo, finally got around to watching Police Story: Lockdown because I love jackie chan movies and remember police story being a good one.

What a horrific abortion of a movie. Jackie Chan is drunk in a taxi, then he goes toa club to meet his daughter but SURPRISE he hasn't seen her in ages and she's got tattoos and pink hair and there's guys with fauxhawks and leather jackets hanging around. Then everybody gets replaced with boring regular citizens and everybody's taken hostage. But it's okay because his daughteronly had a FAKE spider tattoo on her neck and her hair was a wig! Then Jackie Chan basically goes through Clue while the bad guy teases him and they have flashbacks of his greatest arrests just in case one of them is the guy who's taken him hostage. He goes all Die hard eventually, riot cops come in because the hostage taker really isn't making sense with his demands, and eventually there will probably be a fight scene.

Oh yeah there's also some TV reporter chick who's there for absolutely no reason, and keeps trying to introduce herself and interview people. And the riot cops just kind of vanish after an epic firefight, like there's just no more cops anywhere after those 3 or 4 dudes vanished into thin air.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 26, 2015

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

coyo7e posted:

Holy poo poo, finally got around to watching Police Story: Lockdown because I love jackie chan movies and remember police story being a good one.

What a horrific abortion of a movie. Jackie Chan is drunk in a taxi, then he goes toa club to meet his daughter but SURPRISE he hasn't seen her in ages and she's got tattoos and pink hair and there's guys with fauxhawks and leather jackets hanging around. Then everybody gets replaced with boring regular citizens and everybody's taken hostage. But it's okay because his daughteronly had a FAKE spider tattoo on her neck and her hair was a wig! Then Jackie Chan basically goes through Clue while the bad guy teases him and they have flashbacks of his greatest arrests just in case one of them is the guy who's taken him hostage. He goes all Die hard eventually, riot cops come in because the hostage taker really isn't making sense with his demands, and eventually there will probably be a fight scene.

Oh yeah there's also some TV reporter chick who's there for absolutely no reason, and keeps trying to introduce herself and interview people. And the riot cops just kind of vanish after an epic firefight, like there's just no more cops anywhere after those 3 or 4 dudes vanished into thin air.

This all actually sounds great, but even if it is a bad movie I will probably watch it anyway because I loved the first one so much. I'm guessing that attitude is what they were banking on when the made this film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

It was made by Taggart Productions so I watched the whole film as basically a Randian treatise on humanity, and I think it makes the most sense when treated that way.

That makes a ton of sense.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

five elements ninjas is potentially the best movie I've ever seen.

"the very costumes and weapons in this film are based on japanese ancient catalogs and collections"

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

precision posted:

That makes a ton of sense.

I don't know what Taggart is named for but its logo makes me wonder:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Action Jacktion posted:

I don't know what Taggart is named for but its logo makes me wonder:

Taggart is the name of the protagonist from Atlas Shrugged.

Don't ever read/watch Atlas Shrugged.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

This all actually sounds great, but even if it is a bad movie I will probably watch it anyway because I loved the first one so much. I'm guessing that attitude is what they were banking on when the made this film.
It's really something. The writing is just all over the place. It's Die Hard meets Clue, with more holes in the plot than I could even believe. Like, why is it that the only hostages who get wounded are the ones who get released, but they are also the only ones who weren't part of the evil plot from the beginning so how the hell did they wander in, in the first place?

The bad guy and his henchmens' origin story is also some kind of Game of Thrones level weirdness involving dead parents, orphaned kids, and underground fighting pits run by fat old white men in hawaiian shirts.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Sarchasm posted:

Taggart is the name of the protagonist from Atlas Shrugged.

I know that, I was pointing out the the other Rand similarities. It'd be more strange if the name and logo weren't inspired by Rand. I haven't seen any of their movies though.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Sarchasm posted:

But what if I like terribly written straw man villains and equally terribly written post-Stalinist reactionary ideology?

Ayn Rand is the only author who causes me to completely disregard anything someone says after saying that they like her.

precision posted:

e: Kung Fury is total dogshit

But it's so random!

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

coyo7e posted:

It's really something. The writing is just all over the place. It's Die Hard meets Clue, with more holes in the plot than I could even believe. Like, why is it that the only hostages who get wounded are the ones who get released, but they are also the only ones who weren't part of the evil plot from the beginning so how the hell did they wander in, in the first place?

The bad guy and his henchmens' origin story is also some kind of Game of Thrones level weirdness involving dead parents, orphaned kids, and underground fighting pits run by fat old white men in hawaiian shirts.

Goddamn quit describing it. It sounds better and better.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

centaurtainment posted:

But what if I like terribly written straw man villains and equally terribly written post-Stalinist reactionary ideology?

Ayn Rand is the only author who causes me to completely disregard anything someone says after saying that they like her.

But it's so random!

Not even Sam Harris? When it comes to the New Atheist that guy really takes the cake, I mean Dawkins is bad and apparently aspiring to make the famous "found in a park, naked, fighting a swan" image a reality, but when it comes to awful philosophical arguments and an insane level of Islamophobia, no one is as bad Harris.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

hemale in pain posted:

five elements ninjas is potentially the best movie I've ever seen.

"the very costumes and weapons in this film are based on japanese ancient catalogs and collections"

How about these chucklefuck "water ninjas" who come in paddling with the help of floaties and somehow paddle backwards fast enough to dodge spear thrusts. I swear they look like they're giggling to themselves underneath their ninja masks.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

oscarthewilde posted:

Not even Sam Harris? When it comes to the New Atheist that guy really takes the cake, I mean Dawkins is bad and apparently aspiring to make the famous "found in a park, naked, fighting a swan" image a reality, but when it comes to awful philosophical arguments and an insane level of Islamophobia, no one is as bad Harris.

Just googled Harris and wow, guy's an rear end in a top hat. Maybe it's just the people I've met, but I don't think that the New Atheists have even a fraction of the influence that Rand does. There are American politicians with national exposure who call themselves objectivists, which means her ideas have the potential to influence the lives of millions of people. I certainly hope New Atheism never rises to that level of prominence and influence.

But yeah, I'll add Harris to that short list, and Dawkins for good measure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

centaurtainment posted:

Just googled Harris and wow, guy's an rear end in a top hat. Maybe it's just the people I've met, but I don't think that the New Atheists have even a fraction of the influence that Rand does.

There is an increasing contigent of youtube celebrities that preach New Atheism and other regressive philosophies and they have been shaping a new generation of assholes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bill Maher is probably the most prominent New Atheist in the states, for whatever that's worth.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

please do not troll

I didnt care for the weird video gamey action sequences, but when the opening credits started to roll I thought I had started Miami Connection by accident. I thought it was nearly as funny.

Cinematic turd, but hilarious none the less.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Bill Maher is probably the most prominent New Atheist in the states, for whatever that's worth.

Hmm true...but at least Religulous managed to avoid being actively racist, despite being incredibly misguided in nearly every other way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maher's Islamophobia and cheap bigotry is a lot more banal and crowdpleasing than froth at the mouth types like Sam Harris, which is probably why Harris has more intellectual cred or whatever but Maher has more stature.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sarchasm posted:

I was extremely disappointed that none of the films in the trilogy turned out to be entertainingly terrible, they just kind of exist and are mostly just kind of boring.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Not even fifteen minutes in and already reduced to tears of laughter by the quality of the acting in Ned Rifle. gently caress, I can't even tell if I'm disappointed or not.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Samfucius posted:

I didn't think it was a classic or anything, but I definitely enjoyed myself.

I just thought it was kinda boring. Didn't really seem to build much tension, or build to much of anything. It wasn't bad, and I definitely liked the look of it, but none of the characters drew me in at all.

Soundtrack was nice though, definitely that was a high point.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

mds2 posted:

I didnt care for the weird video gamey action sequences, but when the opening credits started to roll I thought I had started Miami Connection by accident. I thought it was nearly as funny.

Cinematic turd, but hilarious none the less.

Except Miami Connection is incredibly earnest and goofy, and doesn't realize why it's terribly designed and hilarious at the same time. Kung Fury is just grating and its humor relies solely on "random" humor that's normally the domain of hacky webcomics and a misplaced idea of what 80's action films actually were.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Time Dissolver posted:

Not even fifteen minutes in and already reduced to tears of laughter by the quality of the acting in Ned Rifle. gently caress, I can't even tell if I'm disappointed or not.

...have you ever watched a Hal Hartley film before? I thought Ned Rifle was his best in decades.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Maher's Islamophobia and cheap bigotry is a lot more banal and crowdpleasing than froth at the mouth types like Sam Harris, which is probably why Harris has more intellectual cred or whatever but Maher has more stature.

Harris' intellectual cred better be for his work in neuroscience (of which I know nothing), because from what I've read from him he's a real ding dong of a philosopher. Regardless, he seems at his core like he's a decent human being with some very well bulwarked stupid thoughts in his smart head. I doubt any of us are clever enough to persuade him away from his more knuckleheaded ideas. Which is sad. He's kind of an object lesson in how being the smartest guy in any given room since you were in short pants can make you a dangerously retarded dumbshit.

Maher, however, is just a deplorably smug little slime man. I could see him putting hookers in Nevada soil by moonlight.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

precision posted:

...have you ever watched a Hal Hartley film before? I thought Ned Rifle was his best in decades.

A few. Henry Fool and Trust are awesome, Unbelievable Truth was alright, didn't like Fay Grim or Girl From Monday so maybe I just don't care for how strong that current of precious cheekiness has gotten in his recent stuff. A few scenes farther into Ned Rifle now and I'm sort of enjoying it though, at least much more than Fay Grim. Simon is still one of my favorite movie characters ever.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

How about these chucklefuck "water ninjas" who come in paddling with the help of floaties and somehow paddle backwards fast enough to dodge spear thrusts. I swear they look like they're giggling to themselves underneath their ninja masks.

They can also fly! should of been air ninjas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-enqXPpcd4&t=1m22s

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 27, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lurdiak posted:

There is an increasing contigent of youtube celebrities that preach New Atheism and other regressive philosophies and they have been shaping a new generation of assholes.
It's weird because I listened to Sam Harris on a Joe Rogan podcast a few months back and was like, "who is this guy who has all of these polite and interesting thoughts on how religion is basically 'believing in ghosts'?" And then I heard him on a couple other podcasts and read some stuff written by and about him and was like holy poo poo, it sounded so good for a hot second before he started going in on how brown people are ignorant and savage unpeople.

I mean I guess it's pretty e asy to sound erudite on the Joe Rogan podcast though, which is why I quit listening to that podcast.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Joe Rogan, to put it politely, is a goddamn bozo.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Joe Rogan, to put it politely, is a goddamn bozo.

He's a funny guy, but not for the reasons he intends to be.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's the moon landing denialist, right?

The Man Show has many crimes to answer for.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Joe Rogan is the reason so many young people try out DMT.

Yes, for the past decade, Joe Rogan has been more influential in the psychedelic movement than Tim Leary and Terrence McKenna combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Jack Gladney posted:

He's the moon landing denialist, right?

The Man Show has many crimes to answer for.
Yes he is. And Bill Maher is a hardcore PETA supporter and anti-vaccinationist. It's interesting that people whose entire careers are based on mocking people who use logical fallacies are just as susceptible to it themselves.