Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Left 4 Dead really was a copy of the half life sven coop mod with zombies anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

You people find some dumb rear end poo poo to complain about on a newly released game from an indy dev company.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
loving hell I don't know if people are deliberately misremembering the the first l4d had some very prominent problems with hunters spawning right next to you and zombies popping in mid air. Hell, I even see it on L4D2 and its just not as prominent.

What do you care anyway? The games just giving you more targets to smash.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

dogstile posted:

loving hell I don't know if people are deliberately misremembering the the first l4d had some very prominent problems with hunters spawning right next to you and zombies popping in mid air. Hell, I even see it on L4D2 and its just not as prominent.

What do you care anyway? The games just giving you more targets to smash.

No one is getting upset man, we're talking about the game, and some people were saying the spawn system could use work. Its a fun game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mr. Wookums posted:

Left 4 Dead really was a copy of the half life sven coop mod with zombies anyway.

I really appreciated the dev commentary track that admitted they came up with the idea for L4D by spawning a bunch of berserk Counterstrike bots with knives.

Regarding the colorblind issue, I don't know of a fix for it right now, but I wouldn't give up hope. Small aesthetic hacks like that are pretty commonly dug up in the first month or so of a game's release, and color hacks are fairly small.

Truthfully I would also tweet Fatshark about the issue. They may just cough up a hack themselves.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Dude, the entire game is essentially a mod. You have 2 weapon slots, most often 1 melee and 1 ranged weapon, which was the most common l4d loadout. You then have inventory slots for a health item, a potion, and a grenade slot, which can either be a molotov or a bomb. The health packs are identical, the potions take the place of the pills, and potions of strength and speed are just the adrenaline split into 2 items.

What has changed is they added in character classes and a weapon system similar to payday 2, and a dodge button. Other then that, when I play with my friends, we use the left 4 dead names for all of the specials besides the gunner, and the first thing we told new players is "its literally left 4 dead, everything works the exact same way" and they all picked it up immediately.

Again, its not really a bad thing they are doing, but when its this similar, people are going to judge the game against its predecessor, because when it does something better, its not like the devs can claim ignorance.

Melee system makes the bog standard gameplay have a higher skill cap than L4D, and is more engaging for it at a minute by minute level.

That's a big enough change for me!

Also while I like that failure matters in the current system, with how long rounds take I think it'd be nice if a failed run that makes it <x> distance into a long map could add a loot die bonus or something similar to your next run so it wasn't entirely all for naught. I think that'd be a reasonable compromise?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

No one is getting upset man, we're talking about the game, and some people were saying the spawn system could use work. Its a fun game.

I'm not thinking people are upset, i'm just worried everyones suffering from some sort of mental lapse and have forgotten all about L4D's early issues.

Anyway, lets laugh at a really, really funny vermintide issue with the R'ogre

Video

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Played through the first two levels. Seems like an OK game BUT at the same time I can't help but to feel that it's missing some OOMPH, or whatever you want to call it. Like, there isn't really a good feel to the impacts, but if there was this would be a lot more enjoyable. I don't know how much it changes beyond this point but it does feel a bit bland to me at least.

I really like those rat patrols though, mostly because of that marching chant.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

By the way I've got 27 in the game so far, which admittedly isn't a huge amount compared to what some of you guys probably have, but I've very, very rarely experienced and mid-air spawning.

What I have experienced, however, is a stream of rats emerging from at tiny little hole we never saw, gutter rats bouncing from rooftop to rooftop to drop down just behind a player and packmasters blending in with a bunch of normal clanrats or slaves. All of them moments that would have been interpreted as assholes appearing in mid-air if it wasn't for that split-second moment of attention.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks to Cataclysm Blackpowder, I just got blue twin swords with chance to instakill on normal and chance to get +aspd. :toot:

Then the servers went down just as we were about to get to the loot screen on the following mission. :negative:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If someone is down they get both the red aura and an exclamation point arrow, plus audio cues.

(And their profile goes horizontal.)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Al Borland posted:

I can't tell you how upset I am that this amazings tory end times is poo poo on by a moon crashing into the planet and wiping everyone out. I mean this is seriously good poo poo and then they go and GW all over it.

The empire was an awesome beautiful snowflake :smith:

The Saltzpyre -> Kruber conversation about his family farm always makes me sad. I hope his family is okay :ohdear: They surely heard the horn and got away.

I've been reading my old WFRP books cause of this game and I've been GETTIN FRUSTRATED with GW a whole bunch.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Gortarius posted:

Played through the first two levels. Seems like an OK game BUT at the same time I can't help but to feel that it's missing some OOMPH, or whatever you want to call it. Like, there isn't really a good feel to the impacts, but if there was this would be a lot more enjoyable. I don't know how much it changes beyond this point but it does feel a bit bland to me at least.

I really like those rat patrols though, mostly because of that marching chant.

I also agree that combat doesn't feel or look quite right. My blows don't necessarily have the impact they should be having. I chalk it up to having canned animations and not dynamically affecting the impacted enemy models when my first person weapon models pass through them or stop midswing for no reason.

Thankfully the combat mechanics are actually fun and require thought.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I mean, depending on your difficulty and items you either kill a rat in one hit and laugh as it goes flying away or... you don't. Same goes with basically any class, shoot an arrow into a rat and watch it fly, hit a rat over the head and it crumples, shoot a big fireball and a ton of rats get launched, or they just keep coming and you feel very weak.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
For the people complaining about lack of impact in melee; what is your high water mark for melee in a first person game? The last game I can think of to be both first person and have a incredibly good satisfying meaty melee system outside of chivalry was Condemned and to a lesser extent FEAR 1. Every other game I can think of that does significant melee is either all pre-canned animations (FarCry) or has the sense of impact like you're hitting enemies with a wet noodle (left4dead). In that regard I feel like the melee impact in this game is fantastic. You are dealing with hordes of small shitling mobs it makes sense that you could swing a sword and cleave three of them and cut them up in visually satisfying ways.

Even something like chivalry is going to be its own beast in ways that Vermintide can never be. Chivalry is a game about dudes of similar size, equipment, and (theoretically) skill level pounding on each other. I'm sure if they made every clan rat as big a threat as a chivalry player the melee would be harrowing and impactful, but then they would have to make the horde size like 8 rats max otherwise you'd never make it more than about 2 minutes into a mission.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I think the melee feels very good.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

melee feels fine to me, and headshotting dudes with the harquebus is super satisfying

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I'm really enjoying the Bright Wizard using the Conflag staff, though I've overheated and exploded twice accidentally now. I'm finally getting the hang of that part and all in all it's really hard not to use Left 4 Dead callouts on the specials. Also, the R'ogre fell off the ledge into the water in Black Powder, so we got to listen to him roar ineffectually for the whole mission.

The only thing I want right now is for my victims to melt away into ashes when I headshot them as a BW, sort of like when you kill a target with an energy weapon in Fallout 3

Also, my second Pubby match had an elf continuously spamming "WATCH THE 6" in chat.

Tamayachi fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 26, 2015

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Some melee is worse than other's. Dwarf's one-handed hammer/shield probably looks the worse it's just kind of these feeble 'bonks' with no follow-through; the overhead one in particular.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah melee feels good, way better than the instant kill nerf bats from L4D2. Do wish there was a bit more feetback for where you were hitting a rat, maybe have the hit marker turn red it you land a headshot

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Some melee is worse than other's. Dwarf's one-handed hammer/shield probably looks the worse it's just kind of these feeble 'bonks'; the overhead one in particular.

be interesting to see how things get balanced, sword and shield can feel pretty weak, but your job is to be knocking fools over, not carving them up yourself. the mace and shield feels a lot better though and it seems like that little extra bit of damage shaves a hit off the number required to kill a lot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

melee feels fine to me, and headshotting dudes with the harquebus is super satisfying

cut rat tails off all day long

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Any other elf scum like myself know what the different kinda of bows are and how they function?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Use Longbow or a Trueshot Longbow. One homes one doesn't.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knifegrab posted:

Any other elf scum like myself know what the different kinda of bows are and how they function?

Swiftbow: garbage, just fire as fast as possible. power draw kills one slave/clan rat
Warbow/longbow: normal fire can kill slave/clan rats, orange can do it on nightmare. Power draw kills two rats if lined up.
Hagbane: garbage bow that does no damage on impact, but leaves a little poison cloud.
Trueflight Longbow: garbage bow unless on collect crap mission like black powder and supply and demand. The point of this bow is quickly kill small amount of skaven so you can go do stuff. Terrible for long maps that are marathons like HoM, Enemy Below, and War Machines.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah melee feels good, way better than the instant kill nerf bats from L4D2. Do wish there was a bit more feetback for where you were hitting a rat, maybe have the hit marker turn red it you land a headshot
Would love this for all weapons honestly.

Drythe posted:

Use Longbow or a Trueshot Longbow. One homes one doesn't.
The non-homing one comes with 50% more ammo and lets you aim. Whether letting you aim is better or worse depends on you.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hagbow wouldn't be so useless if it made a bigger cloud on charged attacks.

Also don't forget that the longbow is basically a slower crossbow.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I progressed to Wheat and Chaff yesterday and holy poo poo. My pubbie team which had been trucking along nicely in previous missions got absolutely wrecked twice without getting even a single grain sack. Looking forward to trying again tonight!

Do I need better gear? I only have a couple bad green weapons and a terrible Gutter Runner damage reduction trinket on my Wizard.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The bow for the elf is really good for killing specials, her swords and daggers are good for murderizing everything else.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ojetor posted:

I progressed to Wheat and Chaff yesterday and holy poo poo. My pubbie team which had been trucking along nicely in previous missions got absolutely wrecked twice without getting even a single grain sack. Looking forward to trying again tonight!

Do I need better gear? I only have a couple bad green weapons and a terrible Gutter Runner damage reduction trinket on my Wizard.

that map is dumb as hell, and i do not care if people call me a scrub for it. spawning all those stormvermin while also spawning a tank is dumb as hell

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Ojetor posted:

Wheat and Chaff is basically a weird performance piece exploring the depths of player frustration. It's not a level, it's art.

So no, better gear will only do so much. The levels after W&C you can do with boring, white gear on nightmare.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Demiurge4 posted:

Hagbow wouldn't be so useless if it made a bigger cloud on charged attacks.

Also don't forget that the longbow is basically a slower crossbow.

Its a slower crossbow? What? I've only used the trueflight bow, which I hate because it knows what I'm shooting at better than I do (No bow, don't shoot at the clan rat closest to me, I'm aiming at the ratling gunner behind it!).

So the longbow's draw is that much slower than the trueflight?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I would say it is just a little bit hard to see if my hit has actually landed in first person view, since the impact animations can be subtle for 1 handed weapon impacts, and the scale of size and perspective with weapons can be off. Like objects that are really close I still feel like I'm reaching way the gently caress out to the tippy tip of my sword to touch. I practice on the table and other objects in the inn, and my marks are never left where I think they should be left due to impact.

chawbacon
Aug 26, 2012
Too lazy to scroll through 73 page. Is there a place to find non-scrublord people to join a team with?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

chawbacon posted:

Too lazy to scroll through 73 page. Is there a place to find non-scrublord people to join a team with?

Look at the OP there is a goon steam group.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that map is dumb as hell, and i do not care if people call me a scrub for it. spawning all those stormvermin while also spawning a tank is dumb as hell

Even the devs got their poo poo pushed in so hard that they were talking about nerfing the map in a livestream

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ojetor posted:

Wheat and Chaff is just a tough map. You should consider its difficulty to be a full level higher than whatever it's actually set to.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knifegrab posted:

Its a slower crossbow? What? I've only used the trueflight bow, which I hate because it knows what I'm shooting at better than I do (No bow, don't shoot at the clan rat closest to me, I'm aiming at the ratling gunner behind it!).

No, the long bow can fire off two shots per one from the crossbow that the WH has. The guy I tested with also had 50% reload speed on his xbow, so i think that poster was mistaken. Pretty sure it fires 3 arrows per 1 xbow bolt typically.

Power draw however is probably 1.5 arrows per bolt.

EDIT
But unlike the switfbow it one shot kills clan/slave rats on normal draw.
VVVV

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

If you don't aim the longbow functions like the quickshot bow and doesn't penetrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Wheat and Chaff is just a tough map. You should consider its difficulty to be a full level higher than whatever it's actually set to.

my friends and i have barely played compared to some people but we regularly beat all of the other missions, but that one we keep failing over and over. difficulty is great, i love overkill and poo poo on payday 2, but goddamn wheat and chaff is frustrating. all of the other levels have been pretty nicely balanced, that one seems like a total oversight

• Locked thread