Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
At least you guys have the monster bonuses and the rental tanks, WGEU have done literally nothing for Halloween and the "feature" of the month as been doing 4 weekend missions to earn 35k XP in order to gain 250g. Nothing happening in Ships either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Prav posted:

that the Sexton I even exists is a farce in itself

Sorry, my 100% win rate Sexton I disagrees.

What do you mean small sample size? I asked a friend with a doctorate degree and he has no idea what that is.

Darkrenown posted:

At least you guys have the monster bonuses and the rental tanks, WGEU have done literally nothing for Halloween and the "feature" of the month as been doing 4 weekend missions to earn 35k XP in order to gain 250g. Nothing happening in Ships either.

This. Also, last month we had same thing, 4 weekend missions to earn 35k XP and get some double XP missions for german vehicles. No equipment sale, not even inscriptions and camo for sale.

WGNA is dumb and fucks up the most basic things, but WGEU doesn't even bother with anything.

Exia00
Feb 13, 2014

When in doubt.... C4
Well we were all wrong what the last tank sale was going to be. Its a package deal of the loving tog and sexton......

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Darkrenown posted:

You people also have a viable server population. 7k players on NA West really causes matchmaker to struggle.

Exia00 posted:

Well we were all wrong what the last tank sale was going to be. Its a package deal of the loving tog and sexton......

Can we just get the KV-5 on sale again?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i love my dead gay server

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Well, with CW dead forever, maybe I'll play AW or boats or just stop playing military arcade games made by Russians.

I need to go back and beat Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity in any case.

Exia00
Feb 13, 2014

When in doubt.... C4

Green Dam posted:

Well, with CW dead forever, maybe I'll play AW or boats or just stop playing military arcade games made by Russians.

Waiting for fallout 4 and just cause 3.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Green Dam posted:

I won't play AW, since I really don't want to grind another loving tech tree, especially since I still kinda enjoy WoT and have most of the tanks I want.
The effort to reach that level in AW is going to be the same kind of painful process as in WoT, so gently caress that.

I will just wait for Fallout 4, XCOM 2 and Total War Warhammer then (where the latter will be a glorious clusterfuck of sperglords, just visit that thread to see GW fanatics, TW fanatics, medieval fanatics and Cold War fanatics gather in one thread).

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
http://i.imgur.com/eFPuRDo.gifv

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Hellsau posted:

You people also have a viable server population. 7k players on NA West really causes matchmaker to struggle.

Maybe WG could activate loving roaming and we could come play on your poo poo-rear end server with it's stupid actual specials?

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Darkrenown posted:

Maybe WG could activate loving roaming and we could come play on your poo poo-rear end server with it's stupid actual specials?

Plot twist: They haven't activated roaming because of the server-specific specials :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Sherman's Combat Debut

American M4A1 tanks first saw battle without American crews. This happened in Africa, towards the end of the summer of 1942, when things weren't going well for Anglo-Canadian forces. Tobruk fell, an important port city and foundation for Allied forces. The possibility of the Germans reaching the Suez Canal was very real. About 100 kilometers separated the front lines and the city of Alexandria.

The British Prime Minister Winston Churchill requested help from the USA. He needed tanks, as many of the newest Shermans as possible, sent to Africa. American President Franklin Roosevelt agreed and promised to send George Patton's 2nd Tank Division to reinforce the front, a rushed and impossible move, as in order to fully equip the division, all Sherman training tanks would have to be confiscated from other units. The division lacked tanks and trained crews. Simply sending it to Egypt would be impossible before November. The Afrika Corps was unwilling to wait while the Allies got help, so it was decided that just the tanks could be sent to the British.

Armoured help from across the ocean

Over 300 Shermans were ready by September, mostly M4A1, and some M4A2. In order to achieve this, some training centers in the US were cleared out. One ship carrying Shermans was sunk by a German torpedo, making it necessary to send another 52 tanks. The first Sherman reached the British as early as August.

Even though it was an early M4A1 that had many cosmetic differences from its later versions, the main characteristics of the vehicle were unchanged. As a result, when the main shipment of tanks arrived, the British had a good idea of what they were dealing with and what they had to do for it to function in Africa.

In Africa, every tank is a mobile warehouse. If it's not carrying a load of crates, canisters, tarps, sacks of rations, kindling, etc, it is useless, such is the law of the African theater of war. This load was, of course, removed before battle, but it was mandatory during a march. Field repairmen spent their time making sure that all these goods didn't fly everywhere when the turret turned. Crews hurriedly mastered their new tanks.

The British did not manage to prepare in time. By the Second Battle of El-Alamein, the first real test for Sherman tanks, only 252 tanks from the 8th Army were ready. The 9th Armoured Brigade received its 36 tanks on October 23rd, on the first day of battle. The tankers did not even have time to check over their new tanks.

In total, the Allies brought 1029 tanks to this battle. 250 Shermans is almost every fourth tank: more than enough to evaluate the effectiveness of the new vehicle in battle, and there was no shortage of battles.

Difficult start in the African dust

During the first stage of the offensive, the 9th Armoured Brigade supported the New Zealand division. Its first losses weren't from enemy tanks.

German infantry prevented the widening of passages through minefields, and the silhouettes of tanks were very visible against the morning dawn, making it easy for AT guns to work from camouflaged positions deep within the German defenses. In return, the gun was only revealed by the flash of its shot. The British tankers had trouble firing back. Generous amounts of HE shells and support from artillery didn't help.

The first contact between Shermans and enemy tanks happened soon after dawn. Late model PzIIIs and PzIVs with long guns that fought in this battle had high muzzle velocity, and could effectively fire from long ranges.

The tank battle occurred at a range of just under two kilometers. It lasted a short time, but the Shermans proved themselves an effective and reliable weapon for fighting enemy medium tanks. It is not known how many tanks each side lost, but the losses appear about equal. This meant that the Allies finally made up their deficiency in quality of tanks that was observed since the start of the war.

On the other hand, the Shermans were no wonder weapon. They were as sensitive to a lack of infantry support as any other tank. Attacks head-first at AT positions ended as poorly as with Crusaders or Valentines. All of this happened during the Second Battle of El-Alamein, which concluded on November 11th, 1942. The Germans lost for many reasons, including the sinking of several cargo ships in the Mediterranean that carried vitally important supplies for the Afrika Corps.

The Shermans' debut at El-Alamein could be easily called successful, even though these tanks barely entered production and were manned by insufficiently trained crews. The M4 had thirty years of combat ahead of it.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
http://wotreplays.com/site/2238484#tundra-steelion-m103

I learned something this game, namely that yeah O-Ho's with the derp can pen the side of an M103 if they get the chance. Got HT-15 with this one, too! I forgot that the damage you actually take is counted too.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Hellsau posted:

So the last special tank revealed for October is the Two-Headed Monster. We were all hoping for the MTLS and expecting the KV-5. Well it is up on the frontpage - the Two-Headed Monster is....

drumroll...

The Tog II and the Sexton 1! gently caress off Wargaming, you incompetent shits, please let us pay you money for actual good tanks that we don't have and want badly.

woooooomp woooomp

now back to playing my Chally 1, Chieftan Mk5, XM1, Palmaria, and not purposefully trash premiums in AW.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

I'm....I'm free.

FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST!

Now I never have to log into this lovely game again for any reason!

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Can we just get the KV-5 on sale again?

Or not, that way bads forget about the garbage bin on the front of it.

Darkrenown posted:

Speaking of this, why do players from Mexico always play on US East instead of West?

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 27, 2015

Exia00
Feb 13, 2014

When in doubt.... C4

Vorkosigan posted:

I'm....I'm free.

You can never escape this game. Your just playing a less lovely version of Tanks now.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
AW's response to loving up with their store purchases:

quote:

Founder's Pack and Collector's Edition owners will have the Premium Time and Boosters restarted, both types of bundles will act as if they were just recently purchased and the remaining Premium Time will be reset to the original initial value of the bundle. For example, if a player purchased the Operation Lightning bundle with 60 days of Premium Time 7 days ago and currently has 53 days of Premium Time left, the Premium Time counter will be reset back to 60 days, starting from the first login after the application of Update 0.10.1529. The same applies to boosters.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dvsilverwing posted:

Speaking of this, why do players from Mexico always play on US East instead of West?

NA West is an incredibly bad server, even compared to NA East's Telia problems.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Y1TBBg1aw

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Play tournaments, NA Goons. Free XP all the tanks. Up to 878k if I want to just free xp past the Cent 7 and get the Action X....and then convert 15000 gold for the credits to buy it :(

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Playing tanks is bad enough, and you say I should do it on a schedule? :chloe:

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Hellsau posted:

:wtc:

last night was like 70k+ on eu1 and another 40k on eu2. I still switched to eu1 for better mm...

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
whyiplayarty.wmv

Hellsau posted:

Play tournaments, NA Goons. Free XP all the tanks. Up to 878k if I want to just free xp past the Cent 7 and get the Action X....and then convert 15000 gold for the credits to buy it :(
I don't need to play tourneys, I got that Obamacare fraud money (or so I tell pubbies, much to their chagrin).

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Vorkosigan posted:

I'm....I'm free.

Grats man, I will be soon to follow. Once I hit that quit button I too will be free :unsmith:

Prav posted:

Playing tanks is bad enough, and you say I should do it on a schedule? :chloe:

Main reason why I cannot play any more, been playing since beta. I am totally burned out.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys shouldn't go so hard in the Tanks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Y'all should teamkill more - you get to take breaks every so often.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
WGNA is doing one thing right: they're just giving away XP :homebrew:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

congrats on 5000 base xp game

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I was almost to Tier X for US TDs on Blitz while living in America, but then I moved to West Africa and the lag was just too bad so I gave it up. But then I saw that UK TDs were being released and Japanese line incoming, so I shrugged and started a new account on the Euro server, and with good wireless in the house, and if nobody is skyping/streaming/torrenting and I turn all the graphics settings to minimal I can keep the ping below 250. So now I'm back enjoying WoTB in Liberia.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
jesus christ people actually move TO Liberia? yikes...

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Agrajag posted:

jesus christ people actually move TO Liberia? yikes...

The surfing is pretty good here in Liberia.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
i hate the new PLAY button in the launcher

this is not a game for smooth fonts and gradients

this is a game that should maintain its undeserved dignity at all times

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey the AMX 13 90 is on sale. gently caress yes, I can finally get started on the 400k XP grind to elite!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Hey the AMX 13 90 is on sale. gently caress yes, I can finally get started on the 400k XP grind to elite!

If you try really hard to grind 250k XP in the next two weeks, you can even win a Matilda 4.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Time to grind out the credits for the AMX 30! :toot:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ditto. That might be hard though because the server hates me right now.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

Grats man, I will be soon to follow. Once I hit that quit button I too will be free :unsmith:

Looks like we beat you to the punch. Though I give OTTER one more month.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So wait, was Wargaming really stupid enough to vastly increase the effort required for Clan Wars while also reducing the payoff? I mean the old chip stacks CW was pretty awful, but I've heard nothing but bad things about the Influence mechanic and that they made chip-spam a thousand times worse since you can't even hole up in an isolated place to limit the numbers of fights. There's no way to block yourself off from people who aren't even on the map.

I'd say RIP CW but it wasn't ever really alive in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I dunno, that mostly sounds like the establishment moaning about people now being able to attack them.

"Ugh, we actually have to do fights now to get our free gold, what a bother."