Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Good Citizen posted:

For some reason I always think this was Sharon Angle. Mixing up my crazy people that lost winnable elections

http://wonkette.com/595220/nevada-wingnut-sharron-angle-threatens-to-lose-another-senate-race

Funny you should mention her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Three Olives posted:

Serious question, the right loves talking about trickle down and tax cuts paying for themselves but wouldn't increased government spending inherently raise tax revenues and grow the economy? e.g. spending yourself out of a recession?

When the government spends money they don't set piles of cash on fire, they buy stuff and employ people who then pay taxes.

I would recommend you read Keynes Hayek for a good background on the origin of two major schools of economic thought.

As others have said, it depends how the money is spent, but generally yes.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Serious question, the right loves talking about trickle down and tax cuts paying for themselves but wouldn't increased government spending inherently raise tax revenues and grow the economy? e.g. spending yourself out of a recession?

When the government spends money they don't set piles of cash on fire, they buy stuff and employ people who then pay taxes.

Here's a hint: they are being dishonest.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

evilweasel posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/white-house-congress-budget-debt-ceiling

I read the CNN article, it gives no real details. Going to have to see what's in the budget deal to see if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

TPM updated it with a NYTimes link and:

quote:

The New York Times also has reported on the deal discussions and said "officials briefed on the negotiations said the emerging accord would call for cuts in spending on Medicare and Social Security disability benefits."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zeroisanumber posted:

I remember reading that story and wondering why she didn't just do what normal people do and order pizza and turn on Adult Swim and hope that she didn't do anything too weird by the next morning.

Eating too much edibles can be legit not fun even if you're used to pot.

Of course she's an idiot who bought a clearly labeled pot candy and hogged down on the whole bigass bar because she didn't instantly feel high so it's still entirely on her. Like others said it's like trying to say we need to ban booze because if I chortle down a handle of vodka I'm probably gonna have a bad day.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Mitt Romney posted:

That's going to suck (and it's moderately difficult to believe that they would seriously try and gently caress with Medicare in an election year) but if it's really the only way to avoid a default...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mitt Romney posted:

That's about what I expected. Why Obama keeps trying to slather his name over these incredibly poo poo deals is beyond me.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Eating too much edibles can be legit not fun even if you're used to pot.

I've only ever smoked, but I'll keep that in mind.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Zeroisanumber posted:

I remember reading that story and wondering why she didn't just do what normal people do and order pizza and turn on Adult Swim and hope that she didn't do anything too weird by the next morning.

That much pot for someone who has never consumed it before would almost certainly be overwhelming. It can make your entire body go numb, cause hallucinations, etc. If you don't know much about what you're taking, and if you eat 10 doses worth on your first time you certainly don't, then panicking isn't an unexpected response at all.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She has a way better campaign team this time.

From what I understand she largely has Obama's campaign team this time.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've only ever smoked, but I'll keep that in mind.

I can't count the number of people who've come up to me and said "I'm not feeling anything at all, I'm gonna eat the rest". Only about half of those people can be convinced not to do so, but as a weed guru I assure you it is crucial to set a small dose and stick with it. Many is the time I've gotten way too high, and it's always from edibles.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Republicans win again! :toot:

I look forward to dying in poverty in 50 years.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Mitt Romney posted:

Ugh, hopefully the details aren't as bad as that sounds.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary appears to not understand that Congress could vote to cut her pay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8h7V261UQg

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mdemone posted:

I can't count the number of people who've come up to me and said "I'm not feeling anything at all, I'm gonna eat the rest". Only about half of those people can be convinced not to do so, but as a weed guru I assure you it is crucial to set a small dose and stick with it. Many is the time I've gotten way too high, and it's always from edibles.

my name is maureen dowd and i'm here to tell you all how irresponsible and dangerous it is to not place safety rails at the edges of cliffs *takes running start, leaps off cliff*

edibles are tricky because the onset is slow and you can't just stop being high. which is why it is of paramount importance to, you know, dose yourself slowly and be aware of your doses. i would think that this is just basic drug knowledge 101 but i guess you don't have to know such things to write op eds for the new york times

e: my state passed a law called "Brad's Law" because some rich dude's son smoked way too much synthetic weed in a hot tub, passed out, and drowned. we really should teach basic drug safety in schools, right after we talk about condoms. don't mix drugs, don't trip alone, remember what you took, do your research and check your doses first, and don't ever dose in a dangerous location such as a body of water

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 26, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Luigi Thirty posted:

Republicans win again! :toot:

I look forward to dying in poverty in 50 years.

Don't worry, you may not have to wait anywhere near that long.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

With any luck the Tea Party will gently caress over Obama's dumbass bargain again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welp, its been a nice country.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CommieGIR posted:

Welp, its been a nice country.

Eh

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The disability thing is not as out of left field as people think. The disability programs are routinely broke and paid for by transferring funds from the rest of SS/Medicare - but Republicans blocked that this year with the plan of trying to cut disability benefits because if nobody does anything the programs go broke. Somehow this hasn't gotten much press but it's not random that's included in a budget deal, though it's not good that there's any cave to that latest hostage.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't worry, you may not have to wait anywhere near that long.

What will kill us all first, global warming, Trump presidency, that asteroid?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

Unlimited steak and gulf shrimp buffet at the Golden Corral.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Popular Thug Drink posted:

e: my state passed a law called "Brad's Law" because some rich dude's son smoked way too much synthetic weed in a hot tub, passed out, and drowned. we really should teach basic drug safety in schools, right after we talk about condoms. don't mix drugs, don't trip alone, remember what you took, do your research and check your doses first, and don't ever dose in a dangerous location such as a body of water

Just like sex ed, many people would consider that a type of moral hazard because the only thing you should hear about drugs/sex is don't do it! *turns hat backwards, raps about being cool and staying in school*

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mmmm, dispersants.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Luigi Thirty posted:

Comically, Putin goes nuclear: the Russians were the real danger all along.

More realistically, rising health care costs and increased cuts to public health care spending lead to mass epidemics and hordes of chronically ill homeless elderly indigents. You die in a mass shooting in 2030, when an unmedicated Alzheimer's patient (there's a cure by then) goes on a rampage to demand that Obama get his government hands off of Medicare (which no longer exists).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Here's what the TPM story actually says about the cuts:

quote:

The deal is expected to include $70 billion-$75 billion in increased spending for defense and domestic spending, sources said. That new spending would be offset by sales from the strategic petroleum oil reserve, use of public airwaves for telecommunications companies and changes to the crop insurance program — among other measures. Moreover, the deal would spread out increases in Medicare premiums over time so beneficiaries don't feel them acutely. It would also aim to preserve the Social Security disability trust fund, sources said

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Comically, Putin goes nuclear: the Russians were the real danger all along.

Meh, Putin will launch a Mars mission that breaks up in mid flight and alerts NORAD tracking stations as a possible incoming first strike, and the world goes to hell this time instead of the computer double checking and dismissing the alert.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Greg Sargent also has a source confirming the Medicare Part B change, which isn't really "cuts" as described in the NYT.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

How likely is this deal since Ryan isn't part of the negotiations?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh, phew, defense spending increases... I was getting worried for a second there that our poor underfunded military might not be able to purchase the drones they need!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Three Olives posted:

When the government spends money they don't set piles of cash on fire

Counterpoint: the GWOT

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

BonoMan posted:

Oh, phew, defense spending increases... I was getting worried for a second there that our poor underfunded military might not be able to purchase the drones they need!

Meh, just pointing out that the "cuts" aren't really cuts and that people are, as per usual, exaggerating.

Why yes, I can totes see House Republicans going along with cuts to medicare and ss, in a loving election year.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Meh, just pointing out that the "cuts" aren't really cuts and that people are, as per usual, exaggerating.

Why yes, I can totes see House Republicans going along with cuts to medicare and ss, in a loving election year.

Who is running for re-election in 2015?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I wasn't blaming you or anything. Just the ridiculous nature of defense spending increases in our financial climate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Maureen Dowd used to date Aaron Sorkin, there's a series of conversations I'm sure were enlightening to everybody

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

quote:

That new spending would be offset by sales from the strategic petroleum oil reserve,

Holy poo poo is this serious? Given the new production online selling off some of the strategic petroleum reserve is probably not a horrible idea except for the fact that the price of oil is already in the shitter even before Iran starts dumping oil into the market and now the US wants to dump even more supply into the market?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BonoMan posted:

Defense spending increases is what the Republicans want and are willing to talk about expanding domestic spending for, and what the Democrats were holding back until they got additional domestic spending. Knowing the increase is part of the deal tells you something about what is likely also in it.

Also I appreciate the politics of funding this by selling oil - depressing gas prices and other prices for consumers, while loving over gas-producing red states by lowering the price of gas even further. Hilarious!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Three Olives posted:

Holy poo poo is this serious? Given the new production online selling off some of the strategic petroleum reserve is probably not a horrible idea except for the fact that the price of oil is already in the shitter even before Iran starts dumping oil into the market and now the US wants to dump even more supply into the market?

Wonder how much that'd hurt Russia.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Maureen Dowd used to date Aaron Sorkin, there's a series of conversations I'm sure were enlightening to everybody

Was the Female Republican Strawman in the West Wing supposed to be Maureen Dowd?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Rep. Barry Loudermilk (R-Ga.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Was the Female Republican Strawman in the West Wing supposed to be Maureen Dowd?

If the strawman on a Sorkin show isn't a shrill millennial who just needs to shut up and listen to the wisdom of her elders, then it's Maureen Dowd.

• Locked thread