Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

I tried the trial over the weekend. It was interesting enough to pay for the full game. Now I'm a little overwhelmed by it all. I hit level 10 and went into the main human city and it's about seven or eight times bigger than I had thought it'd be. Having so many weapon choices and skill choices as well makes me wonder on more than one occasion whether or not I'm making the right choice by dropping this scepter in exchange for that dagger or vice versa.

It's very fun so far though. but when I'm running through town trying to activate all the waypoints I find myself wishing for a mount or travel skill. I do like the waypoint system, I wouldn't want it removed; I just hate how slow I feel on foot when I'm not teleporting to a waypoint somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

khy posted:

I tried the trial over the weekend. It was interesting enough to pay for the full game. Now I'm a little overwhelmed by it all. I hit level 10 and went into the main human city and it's about seven or eight times bigger than I had thought it'd be. Having so many weapon choices and skill choices as well makes me wonder on more than one occasion whether or not I'm making the right choice by dropping this scepter in exchange for that dagger or vice versa.

It's very fun so far though. but when I'm running through town trying to activate all the waypoints I find myself wishing for a mount or travel skill. I do like the waypoint system, I wouldn't want it removed; I just hate how slow I feel on foot when I'm not teleporting to a waypoint somewhere.

Don't worry much about weapon choice or skill choice. The game is very super forgiving when it comes to what you use in most content, and you can change at a moment's notice. Use what feels fun and what helps you kill things and not get killed in return and you'll do just fine.

I'd also like a mount system, honestly, though some people prefer the lack of it. The Swiftness boon is really helpful. What class are you playing? Most classes have ways to move more quickly in/out of combat, either by granting themselves Swiftness regularly or through passive signet skills or traits that boost base movement speed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How does Revenant work exactly? Do they jump around stances like Engineers/Elementalists do, or pick one and stay in it, or what? How does that interact with their weapon skills?

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
They have two separate skill bars to manage. Weapon skills where you can swap between two weapon sets and utility skills where you can swap between legends (think weapon swap for utilities). These are completely independent of each other.

Weapons come in various flavors: sword for power, mace for conditions, hammer for ranged etc. Legends differ in what kind of utility they bring to the table. Shiro for power mallyx for condi, ventrikkel for healing. Glint (elite spec legend) just meshes well with everything and spits put boons like nobody's business.

You kind of mix and match those to your chosen spec / roll, and go to town, switching between weapons and legends situationally. Admittedly I've only really sunk my teeth into a condition based spec, but the class is a ton of fun!

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Hi Folks,

Slaw facts/Princess Anime Man here.

My impression of HoT is that it's a dumb buggy grindfest and it's really turned me off GW2 as a game.

Sorry Tivac, you guys hosed up.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he3jqbDq5hA See: 1:23 in where Colin Talks about GW2 Not having a stupid grind.

LordAdakos fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 26, 2015

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What's the point of all these leafy greens added to the game without slaw :(

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
My only gripes so far are some objects that really should be able to go in material storage that dont, and the fact that I can't upgrade evergreen slivers for some reason? Maybe there's a mastery vendor somewhere for that. I don't mind the need for loads of exp (at least for the first few levels of mastery) since I actually like playing the game and doing events and stuff.

:frog: YOU'RE NOT WORTHY :frog:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
It been a issue with anet every time they release a new item.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I wasn't enjoying the expansion at all until I swapped to ranger. Tried with Guardian/DragonHunter first then swapped to Revenant since I wanted to try something fresh as without traps DragonHunter didn't feel that different. Felt I was dying constantly on Guardian and Revenant and was about to just put the game down and go back to SWTOR for the new expansion. Decided to give Ranger a try with the new pet changes and that has helped a lot with survivability. Having the pet to take some of the big hits has made it much more fun to run around the new maps. Still hoping they tune down the mob damage and make getting elite specs a bit easier so I can start playing my other classes as well. Since I tend to spend the majority of the time soloing, getting downed by a group of baby raptors or ninja mushrooms when I was just trying to get to story locations was extremely frustrating.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

LordAdakos posted:

My impression of HoT is that it's a dumb buggy grindfest and it's really turned me off GW2 as a game.

Yea I'm just gonna keep waiting for a sale, the stuff I've seen hasn't enticed me. I'll keep doing occasional fractals til thing to build up AR I guess.

Cyron posted:

cool the goons are attacking devs now.

lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

forkbucket posted:

They have two separate skill bars to manage. Weapon skills where you can swap between two weapon sets and utility skills where you can swap between legends (think weapon swap for utilities). These are completely independent of each other.

Weapons come in various flavors: sword for power, mace for conditions, hammer for ranged etc. Legends differ in what kind of utility they bring to the table. Shiro for power mallyx for condi, ventrikkel for healing. Glint (elite spec legend) just meshes well with everything and spits put boons like nobody's business.

You kind of mix and match those to your chosen spec / roll, and go to town, switching between weapons and legends situationally. Admittedly I've only really sunk my teeth into a condition based spec, but the class is a ton of fun!

Thanks, sounds interesting. I guess legends aren't really far from engineer kits, then.

Separate question, what does it mean to build for condi(tions?) as opposed to for power? Just that damage comes from debuffs instead of attacks?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks, sounds interesting. I guess legends aren't really far from engineer kits, then.

Separate question, what does it mean to build for condi(tions?) as opposed to for power? Just that damage comes from debuffs instead of attacks?

Conditions are stuff like bleeds, poison, agony, etc. Power is direct damage. So yea, you got it. Generally Power (and thus, Berserker gear) has been dominant, idk how much if at all HoT changed this.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Not being able to take discipline with trying to add zker to my support spec is not fun. I might just got back to shout bow.

I am going to mess around with Rev for a stronghold support build a bit and see what I can do.

Right now with my warrior I try to bait as many people to me away from the rest of the team and I do as much as possible to live.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Building for conditions means stacking the Condition Damage stat (and probably Expertise, which is condition duration) and using skills that inflict Poison, Bleed, Burning, Torment, and/or Confusion. It's damage-over-time stuff. It's better now than it's ever been, though Power direct-damage builds are still more popular. Necromancers, Revenants, and Engineers have very strong condition damage builds, though.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Apparently CoF farm is legit (and boring):

https://twitter.com/Shazbawt/status/658092329962573824

It also apparently doesn't matter because just doing world completion with boosts is just as fast. Grind however you want to get the Central Tyria masteries.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

RottenK posted:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to Deceptive evasion. It will take hold of you and you will resent its absence.

I'm still impulsively dodging into mobs for a third clone and it's horrible.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
Guild Wars 2: how quickly you level is your choice.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

J3ng4 posted:

Apparently CoF farm is legit (and boring):

https://twitter.com/Shazbawt/status/658092329962573824

It also apparently doesn't matter because just doing world completion with boosts is just as fast. Grind however you want to get the Central Tyria masteries.

That tweet doesn't mean they won't nerf it, only that they won't ban you.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Brace yourselves, I'm quoting video game journalism.

quote:

all feels completely backwards from what has always been one of the most accessible games in the industry.

From an MMORPG article that GW2 just tweeted out.
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/10236/Guild-Wars-2-Heart-of-Thorns-Review-in-Progress.html

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

I feel the following resonates with a lot of people. I know it resonates soundly with me.

quote:

It feels really daunting to see that you’ll need to grind out millions of experience just to get to see all of the content in the game. This is similar to having to level up from 1-80 (or maybe 1-40), only with that experience the levels came faster so you felt the progress more. This pacing with so few levels of each Mastery path, and the story even being locked behind obtaining certain Masteries, all feels completely backwards from what has always been one of the most accessible games in the industry.

You see, currently, to even unlock the trait line to begin your Elite Spec, you have to completely unlock all of your core trait lines. This isn’t too much of an issue for long-time players who have done lots of the map, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Once you do unlock your Elite, you only start with the ability to use the new weapon. None of the other traits or Elite Spec skills are available for use. No drones on the Engineer, no traps on the Dragonhunter. To get all of those, you’ll have to spend another 400 Hero Points (formerly skill points), which you’ll obtain 10 at a time in Maguuma for completing Hero Challenges.

This alone isn’t a big issue, it’s not even all that much work. It’s akin to leveling up your character a bit more to unlock new skills. The problem is that by the time you have a fully working trait line for your Elite, you’ve probably already played most of the new content. And for most players wanting to use Elite Specs, this means you’ll either have to play gimped with traits missing while you do Hero Challenges, or use an older build you really don’t want to use out of utility and necessity. I suppose I can understand having to learn traits, but it seems to me that ArenaNet could have aleast given players their new weapon and skills at the start, instead of making them progress through most of the expansion to play something they thought they were buying outright with their purchase.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Generic Octopus posted:

Conditions are stuff like bleeds, poison, agony, etc. Power is direct damage. So yea, you got it. Generally Power (and thus, Berserker gear) has been dominant, idk how much if at all HoT changed this.

Harrow posted:

Building for conditions means stacking the Condition Damage stat (and probably Expertise, which is condition duration) and using skills that inflict Poison, Bleed, Burning, Torment, and/or Confusion. It's damage-over-time stuff. It's better now than it's ever been, though Power direct-damage builds are still more popular. Necromancers, Revenants, and Engineers have very strong condition damage builds, though.

Thank you both. I guess deciding on builds and gearing and such is something you don't really do until 80, right? I'm still just kind of picking whatever gear seems to have bigger numbers, whatever those numbers actually are :v:

I'm still forcing myself to truck along on Engineer. It's not that I don't like it--I do--I just see e.g. Guardians or Revenants or Necromancers running around and think "man those skills/that armor looks cool, I should make one of those instead".

At least I'm pretty consistent with myself in thinking that Mesmer and Thief (and Warrior, to a lesser degree) look boring to watch :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Thank you both. I guess deciding on builds and gearing and such is something you don't really do until 80, right? I'm still just kind of picking whatever gear seems to have bigger numbers, whatever those numbers actually are :v:

I'm still forcing myself to truck along on Engineer. It's not that I don't like it--I do--I just see e.g. Guardians or Revenants or Necromancers running around and think "man those skills/that armor looks cool, I should make one of those instead".

At least I'm pretty consistent with myself in thinking that Mesmer and Thief (and Warrior, to a lesser degree) look boring to watch :v:

Yeah, don't worry too much until you're 80, and even then, switching builds isn't a huge deal. Exotic gear is pretty accessible, so having a power set and a condition set isn't too tall of an order once you're 80.

As for Mesmer being boring to watch? In PvE, probably. Most PvE Mesmers summon phantasms and let them do most of the work. Some people are experimenting with shatter-based Chronomancer PvE builds, though, which are hilarious to watch when someone's doing it right. In this video, watch the Mesmer who isn't the one recording as she turns into a pink blur of death.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Yea, don't worry about gear until 80. Thief is fun & slick but it's not for everyone.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Harrow posted:

In this video, watch the Mesmer who isn't the one recording as she turns into a pink blur of death.

pls nerf that its too scary for me.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

You'll end up with all kind of alts if you get into the game.

As far as gear goes, I wouldn't put too much effort into it besides trying to stack more offensive vs defensive stats if you feel like you're over the top in one facet.

Engineer has great condi damage and power damage, so you picked a flexible if not difficult first class.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Harrow posted:

I'd also like a mount system, honestly, though some people prefer the lack of it. The Swiftness boon is really helpful. What class are you playing? Most classes have ways to move more quickly in/out of combat, either by granting themselves Swiftness regularly or through passive signet skills or traits that boost base movement speed.

Been playing elementalist, since I got bored with wow but still miss my fire mage from time to time, and also Necromancer because I was hoping for pets but haven't got any yet.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What was mesmer PvE like before the minions change? All my mesmer pve was played mostly like my pvp build with a few adjustments for more damage, which meant shattering them more or less as soon as they appeared anyway.

Also, elite specs should have been unlocked through some sort of story instance style thing where a dragon hunting master teaches me about traps.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I have all my scrapper traits unlocked from turning in my tournament tickets plus a single long evening of running around in WvW.

Seriously, if you're too lazy to do hero point challenges and want to kill other people instead, WvW is an insanely good way to get points.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

khy posted:

Been playing elementalist, since I got bored with wow but still miss my fire mage from time to time, and also Necromancer because I was hoping for pets but haven't got any yet.

Both classes have some solid passive mobility. For Elementalist, the Air Magic trait line has a passive that lets you move 20% faster while attuned to air, and there are plenty of air spells that grant Swiftness (Windborne Speed on the staff, Updraft on the offhand dagger are a couple of examples). Necromancer has a signet that grants you 25% extra movement speed passively (Signet of the Locust). Signets are utility skills that have a passive effect when they're not on cooldown, and can be activated for another effect, but you lose the passive until the cooldown is up. Every class except Engineer and Revenant have signets.

MooCowlian posted:

What was mesmer PvE like before the minions change? All my mesmer pve was played mostly like my pvp build with a few adjustments for more damage, which meant shattering them more or less as soon as they appeared anyway.

Also, elite specs should have been unlocked through some sort of story instance style thing where a dragon hunting master teaches me about traps.

"Optimal" Mesmer PvE for group DPS played about the same as it does now, it was just shittier because your phantasms died too easily. The "ideal" DPS rotation was to summon two phantasms, use Signet of the Ether, and summon a third to get three up right away, and then resummon them when you get a chance, shatter rarely if ever, and do sword attacks. Now, you can do basically the same thing, only you won't have to resummon your phantasms nearly as often and, if you use Chronomancer, you can actually shatter without destroying your DPS, so it's a straight upgrade. And in that video I posted, people are experimenting with full-on shatter-crazy PvE builds with extremely high Alacrity and Quickness uptime. It's really fun if you're into the "press all the buttons all the time" style.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

also this is a quote I collected from my first round of pvp as a scrapper:

off to a good start, I think

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kessel posted:

also this is a quote I collected from my first round of pvp as a scrapper:

off to a good start, I think

Ah, I see he signs his chat.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Can you WvW to get HoT hero points or just ones from the core maps?

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Kessel posted:

turning in my tournament tickets

Bought thimbles?

Completely forgot the historian sold those.

whydirt posted:

There are two items to buy from the WvW notary.
Heroics and Maguuma Heroics. The latter unlocks HoT hero points and cost 10 proofs. The former is for central Tyria and costs 1 proof.

I think the growing consensus is to buy the Maguuma Heroic since the overall cost is the same, but you can avoid having to find a train for the challenges.

treizebee fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 26, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

whydirt posted:

Yes you can. Like a bunch of people have said, it's a fast way to get them if you have a competent train.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

If you start the prologue/first mission to Heart of Thorns, Don't Leave the Instance by waypointing or otherwise you won't be able to get back into the instance and won't get access to the new zones. Maybe someone has said this already but I figured I'd put this here so people will avoid making the same mistake.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All this talk of doing WvW for hero points is giving me some hope that maybe I'll unlock Chronomancer fully this week. I think I need like 180ish Hero Points now (I used my world completion ones plus a couple of challenges in Verdant Brink so far). How long do you all think that'd take to get in WvW?

I think once I get Chronomancer unlocked and ArenaNet figures out whatever's going on with low player numbers in the HoT maps I'll finally start having fun with this expansion.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

treizebee posted:

I think the growing consensus is to buy the Maguuma Heroic since the overall cost is the same, but you can avoid having to find a train for the challenges.

It might be worthwhile to get the easy maguuma hero points before since it unlocks random ones.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

All this talk of doing WvW for hero points is giving me some hope that maybe I'll unlock Chronomancer fully this week. I think I need like 180ish Hero Points now (I used my world completion ones plus a couple of challenges in Verdant Brink so far). How long do you all think that'd take to get in WvW?

I think once I get Chronomancer unlocked and ArenaNet figures out whatever's going on with low player numbers in the HoT maps I'll finally start having fun with this expansion.

I did like an hour unboosted earlier and got 26.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I'm probably gonna go back to my engineer grinding SW for organs. I think with a celebration booster I'll be able to get decent headway into some of the tyrian masteries.

I'm not going to bother trying to unlock any mastery in HoT until after I get some headway into the glider mastery. And bouncing mushrooms. Once I get some of that stuff I'll just bounce around and enjoy the story and exploration on an alt whose new elite spec I don't give a gently caress about. I'll get the elite specs done on my own time, it'll just be a nice add on for after I finish most of HoT's story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ From what I can tell, the most important Maguuma masteries are gliding, updraft usage, and bouncing mushrooms. After that I've been told to go for the first rank of exalted lore, then just level whichever ones you want after that.

malhavok posted:

I did like an hour unboosted earlier and got 26.

I've got boosters coming out my nose, so that's promising.

• Locked thread