Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Did anyone mention how in the first level of Goldeneye in the dam there is a building in the far back of the lake? You can see it with your sniper rifle and it used to be you could take a boat to it but they took that out of the game due to time constraints. You can still get there and look at it with a Gameshark, I did it once and it was neat!

This is the same loving thing.

diamond dog posted:

The Morpho crash at the climax of Ground Zeroes, why do we see it multiple times in this game?
Why are all the starboard lights in the game blue instead of green? Why is the reflection of the light on the minigun green even though the light is blue?
Because of graphics shaders causing discoloration. If a programmer doesn't copy-paste the shader from scene to scene, things like this happen. Unless you're just joking, I'm not following your stuff very closely here.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Seeing as how there are poo poo tons of cassette tapes in this game, yeah, it was a little disappointing that there were only a few to set the stage in Africa and Afghanistan. What's there is really accurate, but the tapes talk about UNITA, MPLA, Joseph Mobutu, etc. as if the player is already familiar with them. I can get behind the fact that Venom might already be familiar with them since a lot of these players were around in the MSF days, but it would have been nice to have more of the geopolitical ramblings MGS is famous for.

I'm also really bummed that you never see any Mujaheddin aside from the occasional POW who looks like any other POW. I mean, poo poo, you already have a horse in the game. Why not have a few dudes in the standard Mujaheddin garb on horseback riding around. Some of the pre-release impressions by people who got to play the game early led me to believe that MGSV was basically MGS4's Chapter 1 + Peace Walker, which it was for the most part. But that also led me to expect more of the factional system in MGS4, which wasn't really present.

I was kind of disappointed when I got to Afghanistan and Ocelot says how there are no civilians anywhere.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

DaveKap posted:

Because of graphics shaders causing discoloration. If a programmer doesn't copy-paste the shader from scene to scene, things like this happen.
I work in games and I've written a bunch of special purpose games shaders and I think this is basically gibberish? Or are you talking about something specific to an engine I'm not familiar with or something? Can you elaborate?

edit: wait no what am I saying I don't care. Shaders are tools for achieving a look that you want, in a game that looks this good they aren't just being haphazardly tossed around. It could be a random error* but you could say that about anything, everything, it's not helpful.

*(in an important cutscene and which coincidentally happens to resonate with the colour/language/perception themes and also justifies a major colour choice oddity spanning two games and which also by fluke landed on the right colour)

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 26, 2015

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Aren't MGS games usually much more obvious about that stuff though? I feel like there would be lines specific to color perception in regards to language.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

zelah posted:

Aren't MGS games usually much more obvious about that stuff though? I feel like there would be lines specific to color perception in regards to language.

MGS games make sure you know when a big twist happens because while Kojima does like his crazy twists that challenge your perceptions and assumptions about the rest of the plot, he cares more about using them to explore larger themes instead of just pulling a Shyamalan and then calling it day.

Venom Snake not being Big Boss probably wasn't meant to be a huge surprise- they hint at it more than any of the other larger plot twists in the series, and it's at least the third time this plot idea has even been used in MGS (The first two being Ocelot's theory about the "Solid Snake Simulation" in MGS2, and Big Boss being shaped into Che Guevara 2.0 in Peace Walker by Coldman). I think instead Kojima is more interested in why someone would manufacture such a figure, and the effects this figure would have on others. What is the psychological effect of believing you're fighting in the army of the "legendary soldier", and is believing you're fighting alongside truly empowering? What is the psychological impact of believing that Big Boss himself is coming to potentially kill you, if you're random mercenary soldier number three that has been stationed at the Nova Braga Airport on a particularly unlucky day (Several soldiers say they're scared shitless, btw.)? What does being Big Boss even mean, as a symbol?

It's yet another way Kojima is looking at perception vs reality.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 26, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would just like to re-post some stuff Snak once said here, and how it is so much better than the plot we got. Snak for President.

Aww thanks. Since it's been reposted so much, I feel the need to point out that I hosed up some timelines there. For some reason I mistakenly said that the Shadow Moses Incident took place in 1995, when it actually took place in 2005 (this was just a brain fart on my part). I think adjusting my theories for this fact will actually make them work better, though...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Guys, I have figured this out!

None of this is real because it's actually a video game

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bholder posted:

Guys, I have figured this out!

None of this is real because it's actually a video game

No, that was MGS2?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah I don't know why Kojima has this reputation as some trolling, "gotcha!" mastermind. None of his games attempt to trick the player like that. There are twists, but the twists are in service of immediately obvious themes / statements that he's been exploring for 30 years, and the cards are all on the table afterward. Nothing Kojima has done supports the idea that he's got some double-secret-real-twist thing going on, and of course the people with these theories never can answer the simple question: why? To what end?

The game (and the series as a whole) has plenty of textual / subtextual meat as it is, with very interesting things to say about mimetic legacy / aesthetic distance / the interactivity of games themselves. Not a single one of these theories offers up anything interesting to say, and most of them require you to cast aside much more interesting interpretations of the game to even buy into their premise - it's just "wouldn't it be crazy if...?" I am genuinely interested in what kind of a reading people are getting from these theories - what, beyond the giant web of twists and turns for the sake of twists and turns, would the game be trying to say? Why are people so eager to "outsmart" games / books / movies / shows instead of engaging with what they are actually presenting?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Why are people so eager to "outsmart" games / books / movies / shows instead of engaging with what they are actually presenting?

I blame poo poo like Cinema Sins.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah I don't know why Kojima has this reputation as some trolling, "gotcha!" mastermind. None of his games attempt to trick the player like that. There are twists, but the twists are in service of immediately obvious themes / statements that he's been exploring for 30 years, and the cards are all on the table afterward. Nothing Kojima has done supports the idea that he's got some double-secret-real-twist thing going on, and of course the people with these theories never can answer the simple question: why? To what end?

The game (and the series as a whole) has plenty of textual / subtextual meat as it is, with very interesting things to say about mimetic legacy / aesthetic distance / the interactivity of games themselves. Not a single one of these theories offers up anything interesting to say, and most of them require you to cast aside much more interesting interpretations of the game to even buy into their premise - it's just "wouldn't it be crazy if...?" I am genuinely interested in what kind of a reading people are getting from these theories - what, beyond the giant web of twists and turns for the sake of twists and turns, would the game be trying to say? Why are people so eager to "outsmart" games / books / movies / shows instead of engaging with what they are actually presenting?

I agree with you. My theories were formulated during my first playthrough as what I expected to be revealed in chapter 2 as part of the game's themes. They are not something I thought up afterwards as a super-secret double twist.

As I said before, MGS2 was my first exposure to the franchise, so that has somewhat colored my expectations of MGS games.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Finally http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/mods/125/

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Snak posted:

I agree with you. My theories were formulated during my first playthrough as what I expected to be revealed in chapter 2 as part of the game's themes. They are not something I thought up afterwards as a super-secret double twist.

As I said before, MGS2 was my first exposure to the franchise, so that has somewhat colored my expectations of MGS games.

I think everybody had their own pet theories for what was going to happen when they started playing, and the trailers / marketing pretty much encouraged it. It's not even that Kojima couldn't / wouldn't write a game with those sorts of twists - he just wouldn't hide it.

And MGS2 might just be the most important game in terms of really crystallizing the themes / narrative techniques of the series, so there's nothing wrong with filtering the games that came afterward through that lens, imo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I blame poo poo like Cinema Sins.

did you see the mad max one? i almost punched my monitor for real about 30 seconds in. can you block poo poo on youtube? i've reported that channel for abuse but it's still there.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Nothing Kojima has done supports the idea that he's got some double-secret-real-twist thing going on, and of course the people with these theories never can answer the simple question: why? To what end?

Remember the time he tried the whole ARG stuff with Moby Dick Studios? The man was actually bummed that people figured it out within hours.

I can't reconcile this man with the master troll that somehow hid a clue to a missing videogame chapter in the depths of Hell's Kitchen.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

i think the trolling thing came from remembering the trailers for mgs2 but mostly from the whole moby dick studios, joakim thing and i think P.T? tho that wasn't really a troll.

edit: ^beat. :/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the plot twists run pretty deep in MGS. Liquid being Solid's brother reveal in MGS, all of MGS2, EVA being a "bad guy" and Ocelot turning out to be a good guy and the Boss turning out to be loyal and not a traitor in MGS3.

But all the twists are heavily telegraphed and, with the exception of Raiden being the real protagonist of MGS2, he's never successfully hid a twist from the player.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The only thing left is nuke armament/disarmament. When that happens, nobody knows. Everyone's just waiting for Konami to hit the switch.
An interesting theory about the Venom monologue at the end of the disarmament scene is that he might not be talking to Big Boss, but to The Boss. It'd be easy to forget that Venom has been imbued with Big Boss's memories, so he might well think of himself as having some relationship to The Boss. In that context maybe the whole "did Venom and Big Boss have a falling out" thing makes more sense, because Venom fought to disarm the world of nuclear weapons because he came to believe that's what The Boss wanted, then Big Boss swiped them from the disposal sites and made Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Land nuclear. Then Venom ends up in charge of Outer Heaven and nine years later he's betrayed everything he ever thought he, The Boss, and Big Boss fought for, realizes that Big Boss isn't the man he thought he was, and realizes that he's become Big Boss and all that entails (i.e. a true demon).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

did you see the mad max one? i almost punched my monitor for real about 30 seconds in. can you block poo poo on youtube? i've reported that channel for abuse but it's still there.

If only some group of individuals could program a set of algorithms that selectively filters the content put up on youtube to control what information we pass down from generation to generation.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

It's mgs2. The promotional material lied so people constantly think it's 11th dimensional chess despite Kojima usually doing a piss poor job of hiding his twists.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I dont know why people try to take MGS plots seriously. They are all bottom barrel anime stupid. They just do it in a self-aware way so its funny.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sylink posted:

I dont know why people try to take MGS plots seriously. They are all bottom barrel anime stupid. They just do it in a self-aware way so its funny.

Well, what I have found is that many people are unable to infer things without it outright being told to them, which Metal Gear does in spades... until Phantom Pain where people are upset that they didn't see Big Boss turn into an rear end in a top hat.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

blackguy32 posted:

Well, what I have found is that many people are unable to infer things without it outright being told to them, which Metal Gear does in spades... until Phantom Pain where people are upset that they didn't see Big Boss turn into an rear end in a top hat.

If anything MGSV is Kojima actually trying to be relatively understated for once. He's still Kojima so it's not like he made a Terrence Malick movie or anything, but still. I applaud both him and the cool game he made for it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Because thats whats "in" now. a couple years ago in was being a angry, yelly guy who yells "gently caress this game", now its being a enlightened hipster who must find every possible critical "critique" they can to sound like the smartest person in the room and allegedly enlighten the world. there are good ones like super bunny hop who are great and have dry humor and actualy have realy good reviews and insights about games. a there are terrible ones like jonathan mcantosh who spend there time crying that video games have violence in them and should all be walking simulators and get triggered at everything, or you get the even worse ones like that PBS dude or that game theory person who just make poo poo up to sound smart and steal ideas.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 26, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sylink posted:

If people like you had their way, every movie would just be Transformers. Just turn off your brain and watch the pretty explosions! After all it's just a <media>.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

i think the trolling thing came from remembering the trailers for mgs2 but mostly from the whole moby dick studios, joakim thing and i think P.T? tho that wasn't really a troll.

edit: ^beat. :/

I mean I kind of get that, but I think there's a pretty big difference between marketing, which is an almost inherently deceptive enterprise, and the actual games themselves. Especially when that promotional trickery kind of directly ties into the themes the game ends up exploring. MGS2 had a good reason to hide the Raiden reveal from the player, but once everything plays out in the game, it's all there for you to see and chew on. I think Kojima wants people to go into his games wondering what the hell is going on, but he always gives you an answer.

Some of it probably just stems from some people being unable to accept that the game is over, or that the story he told isn't the one they wanted. I just think it's a really good game that does some very cool, original stuff with its self-aware approach to storytelling, and that's a lot more interesting than all the theories floating around. It's not that I don't see the allure of those theories, and people seem to be having fun tearing the game apart for clues, it's just that there isn't anything compelling about the interpretations that result from it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

If people like you had their way, every movie would just be Transformers. Just turn off your brain and watch the pretty explosions! After all it's just a <media>.
I agree to an extent but with a certain reservation. I think that's fine if the work isn't asking you to do anything else, but if a work claims it has Something To Say I don't think you get to make the argument that it shouldn't be taken seriously even if it's really terrible at it. Metal Gear has messages and philosophy that it espouses and it's basically asking to be analyzed and engaged on a critical level. You can certainly argue it's hamfisted and often nonsensical, because it is, but it's not insubstantial.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

A plot can be absurd / tonally dissonant / goofy and still have interesting things to say. That's basically a cornerstone of postmodern lit. There are also tons of cool things going on if apply elements of film theory to his games, which isn't surprising given how much Kojima loves movies.

It's totally ok to just play the game and have fun and leave it at that, but it's kind of silly to then claim that there is nothing deeper going on just because you don't want to look for it.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
There is the popular fan theory that MGS2 had a second twist- the whole game being all just a dream- that was retconned by MGS4.

If it were true, then there would be some precedent for some secret second twist that never got revealed

Kaz isn't Venom

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I swear there are people that will try to tack "it was all a dream" onto the end of literally any piece of fiction.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

I swear there are people that will try to tack "it was all a dream" onto the end of literally any piece of fiction.

I hear that so often but I haven't yet seen it implemented in any work of fiction I have seen. Well nothing is spring to my mind atleast.
Has that being applied to something popular?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sefal posted:

I hear that so often but I haven't yet seen it implemented in any work of fiction I have seen. Well nothing is spring to my mind atleast.

Wizard of Oz and St. Elsewhere would be high on my list

Newhart as well.

Super Mario Bros 2 also

There's more, but they're mostly special one off stories in episodic fiction, as opposed to whole works.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 26, 2015

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

^Mario 2 never hides that it's a dream.

Even the Transformers movies have a lot going on under the surface. CineD has a whole thread analyzing Transformers, scene by scene.

That's been replaced with "protagonist is actually dead and is in purgatory."

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Sefal posted:

There are tons and tons of things that have used that as a twist, and almost all of them are terrible. You don't see it as a deliberate piece of storytelling very often anymore because it's basically become a joke.

The theories usually don't gain a lot of traction because "it was all a dream" is pretty much the laziest, least compelling read of any piece of fiction, but people still try to apply it to almost everything. Off the top of my head: Lost, Breaking Bad (people thought it was a dream taking place inside of Malcom in the Middle), Saved by the Bell, Final Fantasy 8 (the also-popular "dream while dying" theory), Grease, Total Recall (to be fair, this one has some textual support), Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Walking Dead. I'm sure there are tons more. Basically any plot that is even remotely ambiguous or unrealistic has a stubborn group of fans who are adamant that most or all of the story is actually just a dream.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even the Transformers movies have a lot going on under the surface. CineD has a whole thread analyzing Transformers, scene by scene.

Yeah, that one has been around for a long time too, but Lost really kicked it into overdrive and now it's everywhere. There are a few things that have pulled it off (Jacob's Ladder springs to mind) but 99% of the time it just gets trotted out by people who think "fooling the audience" is somehow profound.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 26, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

There are tons and tons of things that have used that as a deliberate twist, and almost all of them are terrible.

The theories usually don't gain a lot of traction because "it was all a dream" is basically the laziest, least compelling read of any piece of fiction, but people still try to apply it to almost everything. Off the top of my head: Lost, Breaking Bad (people thought it was a dream taking place inside of Malcom in the Middle), Saved by the Bell, Final Fantasy 8 (the also-popular "dream while dying" theory), Grease, Total Recall (to be fair, this one has some textual support), Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Walking Dead. I'm sure there are tons more. Basically any plot that is even remotely ambiguous or unrealistic has a stubborn group of fans who are adamant that most or all of the story is actually just a dream.
For Breaking Bad there's also "the end was all a dream", with the theory that the Walt's return to New Mexico is a dream he's having while dying in the back of a car.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

It does, as good as it could for a NES game anyways, "After awakening, Mario went to a cave nearby and to his surprise, he saw exactly what he saw in his dream."

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ayn rand hand job posted:

Wizard of Oz and St. Elsewhere would be high on my list

Newhart as well.

Super Mario Bros 2 also

There's more, but they're mostly special one off stories in episodic fiction, as opposed to whole works.

St. Elsewhere I think is my favorite because it in theory, by following crossovers spinoffs and guest appearances, covers everything.

Yes, everything, including reality outside of the world of the show.

Venom Snake isn't Big Boss, he's just yet another poor schmuck in a snowglobe who is the product of an autistic child's brain.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ekusukariba posted:

It does, as good as it could for a NES game anyways, "After awakening, Mario went to a cave nearby and to his surprise, he saw exactly what he saw in his dream."

I guess I just misremembered it. Though that game was pretty obviously a dream.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was debating putting thr British Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes on the list, though American Life on Mars was more straight up application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Mario 2 takes place in a world called Subcon, it wasn't hiding the dream thing very well.

• Locked thread