Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I, Sheev Palpatine, like dramatic irony better than surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think out of control is a good way to describe references to past franchise entries in Abram films.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sassassin posted:

Dude, JJ Abrams' references are out of control, everyone knows that.

If we're going by JJ Abrams trademarks, then Rey and Finn must be meeting alternate universe versions of Han Solo and Chewbacca who came to their galaxy via a time-traveling wormhole.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

sassassin posted:

Dude, JJ Abrams' references are out of control, everyone knows that.

:golfclap:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mogomra posted:

At least Elan Sleazbaggano isn't a name that was puked up in fanfictions and video games a million times before he had his big screen debut!

Haha, it's so dumb because it's completely referential and not original in any way. It's the same tired "Look here, nerds! We have nerd credit!" bullshit we got from the Star Trek movies with them parading old Spock around. Hence why I though SMG was full trolling with his post, and not only half trolling.

You know how when The Amazing Spiderman 3D was coming out? They released a photo of the costume, and Spiderman fans studied it intently - with a specific emphasis on Spiderman's feet. There was something about the feet that was difficult to put into words - the texture of the feet, the soles of the feet? As fans stared at the feet, the feet began to lose their meaning as feet - in the same way that repeating the word 'feet' makes 'feet' into an uncanny collection of syllables.

At this point there was definitely something wrong with the feet. Feet should be meaningful - especially feet belonging to Spiderman, whose feet had always been natural and commonsense. Here instead we had these odd masses of flesh with bony protrusions, encased in a padded synthetic sack, shaping them into ungainly flagella.

The fans studied the feet more intently.

The red and blue of the feet became a meaningless radiation, visible only with human eyes. Useless eyes! This radiation - this miasma - would cloud the retina, preventing the true sight. Soon fans would discover that, through intense concentration, they could travel in-between the particles of light - being drawn down, downwards, into the feet. Spiderman's feet. Spider-man's feet. And in these feet they would find the Spiderman. And he would embrace them with his eight arms.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 27, 2015

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I knew it, you were Spiderman all along.

I want to see your New Testament of Amazing Spiderman 2, please.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 26, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm glad you're writing fan fiction again SMG.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
We are at page 777, that is the police number of Nicolas Angel in Hot Fuzz

Woah, reference time

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You know how when The Amazing Spiderman 3D was coming out? They released a photo of the costume, and Spiderman fans studied it intently - with a specific emphasis on Spiderman's feet. There was something about the feet that was difficult to put into words - the texture of the feet, the soles of the feet? As fans stared at the feet, the feet began to lose their meaning as feet - in the same way that repeating the word 'feet' makes 'feet' into an uncanny collection of syllables.

At this point there was definitely something wrong with the feet. Feet should be meaningful - especially feet belonging to Spiderman, whose feet had always natural and commonsense. Here instead we had these odd masses of flesh with bony protrusions, encased in a padded synthetic sack, shaping them into ungainly flagella.

The red and blue of the feet became a meaningless radiation, visible only with human eyes. Useless eyes! This radiation - this miasma - would cloud the retina, preventing the true sight. Soon fans would discover that, through intense concentration, they could travel in-between the particles of light - being drawn down, downwards, into the feet. Spiderman's feet. Spider-man's feet. And in these feet they would find the Spiderman. And he would embrace them with his eight arms.

Just in time for Halloween!

Edit: the calls are coming from inside the feet! Get out now!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

You know how when The Amazing Spiderman 3D was coming out? They released a photo of the costume, and Spiderman fans studied it intently - with a specific emphasis on Spiderman's feet.

Why would they do that though?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
JJ Abrams is all things to all men.

and ladies I guess

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
I hope the characters say "Starkiller" a whole lot, and each time this dude in the theater gets progressively more irritated, and then they show the base and it has "Starkiller" stenciled on the side and he just dumps his popcorn all over himself.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Here's a thermal detonator for you: JJ Abrams is Jewish.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Sorry about this, but seeing the other films has already spoiled most of you on what the references in 7 will be (arguably increasing your enjoyment percentage - although that conversation got snuffed right when it was getting juicy). If you haven't seen the OT, hold of until after you see it j.i.c. to go in truly unspoilt.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mogomra posted:

Why would they do that though?

People really like adaptations to be authentic, so a lot of fans go detail-hunting to see whether they'll check it out. Studios have gotten good about providing the right content to hype fans into marketing for them, but fans can be pretty odd.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

At this point there was definitely something wrong with the feet. Feet should be meaningful - especially feet belonging to Spiderman, whose feet had always natural and commonsense. Here instead we had these odd masses of flesh with bony protrusions, encased in a padded synthetic sack, shaping them into ungainly flagella.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Six arms. :colbert:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I am having a bit of a brain fart, do people actually say "Death Star" in ANH? I know it says DEATH STAR in the opening crawl but I don't remember people saying it in the movie, they just say "this battle station" a lot. Maybe it'll be the same with Starkiller, a fun stupid name you can print on trading cards that no character will actually say out loud.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

The MSJ posted:

I bet Rey's real name will be Mai Wai Fu.

No, Rey Ayanami. And Finn Ji Ikari. That's why they're keeping the last names secret. Finn will probably not pilot falcon and agonize about whether he should.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grendels Dad posted:

I am having a bit of a brain fart, do people actually say "Death Star" in ANH? I know it says DEATH STAR in the opening crawl but I don't remember people saying it in the movie, they just say "this battle station" a lot. Maybe it'll be the same with Starkiller, a fun stupid name you can print on trading cards that no character will actually say out loud.
I don't know if they say it in ANH but they certainly say it in ROTJ.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Grendels Dad posted:

Obi Wan-Kenobi says it in the scene where he deactivates the tractor beam during his famous line; "Woah, this Death Star is loving huge."

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

Obi Wan-Kenobi says it in the scene where he deactivates the tractor beam during his famous line; "Woah, this Death Star is loving huge."

Lol

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

That's odd, how did he know what it was called?

Keeeenooooobi!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Some random Stormtrooper says "The Death Star plans are not in the main computer."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Is there even any evidence that the word "gently caress" exists in the Star Wars universe?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Martman posted:

Is there even any evidence that the word "gently caress" exists in the Star Wars universe?

R2 says it all the time.

It's just bleeped.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Some random Stormtrooper says "The Death Star plans are not in the main computer."

Ah, thanks. And that was really early in the movie too, right? Funny how the mind blanks out some times.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Ah, thanks. And that was really early in the movie too, right? Funny how the mind blanks out some times.

Oh definitely. I have trouble remembering what scene comes right after the escape from Jabba's palace in RotJ.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I was really confused when I found out Palpatine never gets named in the original trilogy

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I was really confused when I found out Palpatine never gets named in the original trilogy
Lucas had to take some time to think of the best name ever...

Sheev.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Steve

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Henceforth you shall be known as Darth....Steve.

Not too late to have a change of heart buddy.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Emperor Heart Palpitations

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Martman posted:

Sheev.
I hope that when he was asked, it was while he was walking out the door after signing it all away. Despite his previous protests that Palpatine didn't need a first name, retain the character's mystery, etc., the suits demanded it and with resignation tinted with defiance, he responded with "Sheev" just like Michael Scott responding with "Yesh".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Martman posted:

Sheev.

The best name is Finis Valorum. Kneel before Finis Valorum.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

The best name is Finis Valorum. Kneel before Finis Valorum.

Which, with a quick change in spelling, really really really loosely translates as, "The end of taxation based on value." In a movie with a dispute over taxation of trade routes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Which, with a quick change in spelling, really really really loosely translates as, "The end of taxation based on value." In a movie with a dispute over taxation of trade routes.

That's what makes it the best name.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

drunkill posted:

Emperor Heart Palpitations

Emperor Steve Palpitations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

That's what makes it the best name.

Derp. Didn't know it was common knowledge. I need to bone up on my 17th century Latin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

R2 says it all the time.

It's just bleeped.

Personally, I like a "R2 is just a rude, obstinate, complaining rear end in a top hat" reading more than the "R2 swears a lot, lol" one.

• Locked thread