Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

my friends and i have barely played compared to some people but we regularly beat all of the other missions, but that one we keep failing over and over. difficulty is great, i love overkill and poo poo on payday 2, but goddamn wheat and chaff is frustrating. all of the other levels have been pretty nicely balanced, that one seems like a total oversight

haven't tried it on nightmare, but on hard it was fun. We did it on our second try too.

Its the same as payday, throw the barrels in central location. then collect them quickly by constantly throwing them, just like the bags at the end of supply and demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

For the people complaining about lack of impact in melee; what is your high water mark for melee in a first person game?

I'm not complaining, but Shadow Warrior

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

chawbacon posted:

Too lazy to scroll through 73 page. Is there a place to find non-scrublord people to join a team with?

Check the OP, steam group is posted right there (goonintide). Didn't need to go through 73 pages to find it.

e: beaten like red headed step child

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Bought the game yesterday because my Left 4 Dead But With Magic itch was getting too strong. I played a few levels and noticed that a couple of them were super short in comparison to the others. Does this mean that most people are just going to end up grinding the really short levels? Or is the offset of tomes really helping people want to play the long ones too? I mean, don't get me wrong, we're in early days here and it's not like this is a problem yet; folks are just playing the game for fun for now... but how long until the optimal route is just play sewers over and over?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Skaven killing is serious business

Such majestic creatures. So dignified.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
I love my trueflight bow. I view it like a cursed item. Sometimes it can save the day with some amazing shots and sometimes it can royally screw you by acting like a crazy squirrel. The key is when it starts acting up on drawn shots you either switch to quickshots or you go to stabby time. The other key is having the bonus ammo trait.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DaveKap posted:

Bought the game yesterday because my Left 4 Dead But With Magic itch was getting too strong. I played a few levels and noticed that a couple of them were super short in comparison to the others. Does this mean that most people are just going to end up grinding the really short levels? Or is the offset of tomes really helping people want to play the long ones too? I mean, don't get me wrong, we're in early days here and it's not like this is a problem yet; folks are just playing the game for fun for now... but how long until the optimal route is just play sewers over and over?

The lack of checkpoints also encourages doing the short ones. I'm still puzzled why there are not checkpoints.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DaveKap posted:

I mean, don't get me wrong, we're in early days here and it's not like this is a problem yet; folks are just playing the game for fun for now... but how long until the optimal route is just play sewers over and over?

The better question is who gives a flying gently caress?

There is always going to be an optimal farm route, it's practically impossible to design a system without one. Let the broke brains run the same level the same way 100 times in a row if seeing a number get bigger blue become an orange really brings them that much joy. People without broke brains can just hit the "any level" button after they finish the campaign and have fun.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I don't care what anyone says, the overhead swing on the mace/shield or hammer/shield is awesome. I love to bonk rats on the head. Bonk.

Damathacus
Apr 1, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Not counting missions that are super easy/fast becuase of bugs, longer main story missions are definitely worth it if you have group that can do 3 tomes + 2 grimoires runs because those bonus dice make getting loot you want so much more reliable.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
So after playing a bit I understanding is that the following weapons are complete garbage and should never be uses. Is there anything about them that I am missing/misunderstand?

WH:
Repeater pistol: Just plain outclasses by brace of pistols. No real purpose.

Elf:
Swiftbow: Damage is simply too low to be worthwhile.
Hagbow: The AOE DOT is to both too small and too weak to be useful. Seems to be in a weird place where an AOE suggests it is for hordes, but the DOT ends up killing them much slower than other weapons.

Dwarf:
Grudgeraker: Given the game is melee focused, shotguns already have reduced purpose compared to other FPS. Additionally, the opportunity cost of taker the Grudgeraker means giving up the ability to influence a fight more than 2 yards away unless you use a bomb. This is a huge problem when, for example, a packmaster grabs a teammate and you can't do anything about it other than hope someone else saves them or slowly run after them.

Soldier:
Blunderbuss: Same problem as the Grudgeraker. The BW's shotgun staff avoids this since it has the beam as a secondary fire.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Whelp 3rd orange and its the BW mace, % for stamina/%for aspd/%for health on charged attack.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I dont know posted:

Hagbow: The AOE DOT is to both too small and too weak to be useful. Seems to be in a weird place where an AOE suggests it is for hordes, but the DOT ends up killing them much slower than other weapons.

The hagbow seems to kill specials pretty fast with no need to headshot but I've only used it in one round on easy with bots :v:
It's certainly useless as an AoE weapon.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

I dont know posted:

So after playing a bit I understanding is that the following weapons are complete garbage and should never be uses. Is there anything about them that I am missing/misunderstand?

WH:
Repeater pistol: Just plain outclasses by brace of pistols. No real purpose.

Elf:
Swiftbow: Damage is simply too low to be worthwhile.

Dwarf:
Grudgeraker: Given the game is melee focused, shotguns already have reduced purpose compared to other FPS. Additionally, the opportunity cost of taker the Grudgeraker means giving up the ability to influence a fight more than 2 yards away unless you use a bomb. This is a huge problem when, for example, a packmaster grabs a teammate and you can't do anything about it other than hope someone else saves them or slowly run after them.

Soldier:
Blunderbuss: Same problem as the Grudgeraker. The BW's shotgun staff avoids this since it has the beam as a secondary fire.

Elf:
Swiftbow: Is possibly worthwhile if you can reliably headshot. If you are not an aimbot, longbow is better.

Dwarf:
Grudgeraker: The grudgeraker has the potential of being awesome. +penetrating and +reload speed combined with a +ammo regen melee weapon means easily 1 shotting the packmaster coming at you, and also quickly switching to it to level hordes then back to melee. However, if no one else is going to be sniping specials, maybe you would rather a handgun, but it can be a really good weapon as well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DaveKap posted:

Sewers was the go-to farm level on the beta, but something like Wheat and Chaff or Black Powder, who you could theoretically beat in like five minutes, offset their shortness by being blisteringly difficult. I would rather run Horn of Magnus six times than do Black Powder to completion once

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Lima posted:

The hagbow seems to kill specials pretty fast with no need to headshot but I've only used it in one round on easy with bots :v:
It's certainly useless as an AoE weapon.

Take it from a pro-elf. It's a garbage bow.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Keep in mind that weapon balance is almost certain to change, so I'd suggest hanging on to something if it's got good modifiers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DaveKap posted:

I'm way more likely to get the poo poo I actually want doing a longer mission with tomes and junk.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm way more likely to get the poo poo I actually want doing a longer mission with tomes and junk.

Gardens of Morr might actually be better than Magnus for a full tome/grimoire run because it's so much more defensible as a map and has a better and more forgiving objective.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Got a orange trinket that halves the effect of grimoire on your health

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I personally like Man the Ramparts for my nightmare/cata quick runs. No rat ogre, generally easier to control level design. Only problem is heaps of stormvermin but they are easier to handle than a R.ogre.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Is there a trinket that stops the elf from interrupting the dwarf's singing?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Stormgale posted:

Got a orange trinket that halves the effect of grimoire on your health

:eyepop:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Only works on the person with the trinket though, everyone else is affected the same way.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

For the people complaining about lack of impact in melee; what is your high water mark for melee in a first person game?

Breakdown, original xbox. :colbert:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

FrancoFish posted:

:hf:

That part where you were running from Sephiroth McBadguy through the area with all the tripwires was too fuckin' intense.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Bakraz, or Khazalid for 'manbun'

My favourite unlock yet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ellbent posted:

I don't care what anyone says, the overhead swing on the mace/shield or hammer/shield is awesome. I love to bonk rats on the head. Bonk.

The death animations and gore are pretty fun in the game.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The main appeal of the blunderbuss for me is infinite shoving so I actually do roll with it if I know that my team mates will snipe specials before I can.

I personally can't quite get accustomed to the soldier's repeater gun. I feel like I'm always shooting from just outside the maximum range of the gun.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

FrancoFish posted:

Still have a copy of this in a dusty box in a closet somewhere. Bro.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Sewers was the go-to farm level on the beta, but something like Wheat and Chaff or Black Powder, who you could theoretically beat in like five minutes, offset their shortness by being blisteringly difficult. I would rather run Horn of Magnus six times than do Black Powder to completion once

Yeah black powder and w&c are just exhausting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gimnbo posted:

I personally can't quite get accustomed to the soldier's repeater gun. I feel like I'm always shooting from just outside the maximum range of the gun.

I like the Repeater a lot because it feels like having a ridiculous early-modern Garand.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Skandranon posted:

Only works on the person with the trinket though, everyone else is affected the same way.

Yeah this is true, it's an orange class trinket.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 26, 2015

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
Ha. Just got randomly dumped in a game as the elf with no interest in playing her. Part way through wheat and chaff, spawn, am following the rest of the guys towards a sack, get grabbed by a pack master and somehow I'm the rear end in a top hat and the reason for the loss. I get told I'm a human being and to kill myself... The run went on for another five minutes and I save two others from pack masters. Yep, I'm the reason we lost.

Glad to see within a week how toxic the game has already gotten.

Lesson learned: pubs, not even once.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
So does the conflag staff secondary (the aoe) hurt teammates on nightmare?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tokubetsu posted:

no it doesn't

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gimnbo posted:

The hit detection on that weapon is more problematic than Princess Peach's codependency subtext

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Bout to make an internet petition that the person who designed wheat and chaff be publicly flogged.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tokubetsu posted:

Not at all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

uber_stoat posted:

Bout to make an internet petition that the person who designed wheat and chaff be publicly flogged.

The funny thing about Wheat and Chaff is how out of skew the balance solely because of one tiny detail, which was "on a scale of 1-10, let's set Stormvermin spawns to 11". Without that nothing about the level would be unusual or difficult. Everything else is pretty standard, but the unending Stormvermin clowncar storm makes getting anything done almost impossible if your group isn't on top of their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Well, there's the whole "rat ogre punches you in the face while the intro sequence plays" thing, but maybe that happens in other levels too?

• Locked thread