Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So here's my try at rewriting a couple of Charms to ditch legacy formatting, legacy use of Reflexive as a pseudo-Supplemental that originated just as a way to circumvent the combo rules, and ~natural language~.

Dipping Swallow Defense (Melee 1, Essence 1)
Cost 2m; Keywords none
Supplements parry attempt
Prerequisites none

Ignore all penalties on the parry attempt, except penalties from a surprise attack.

If the parry attempt is successful, gain 1i.

Excellent Strike (Melee 2, Essence 1)
Cost 3m; Keywords Uniform
Supplements Melee attack
Prerequisites none

Add +1s to the attack.

Cascade reroll each 1 on the attack.

One Weapon, Two Blows (Melee 2, Essence 1)
Cost 3m; Keywords none
Action Reflexive (Instant)
Prerequisites Excellent Strike
Requirement You make a withering attack that lowers an opponent's Initiative from greater than yours to less than yours.

Make a withering or decisive Melee attack against the same opponent.

Agile Dragonfly Blade (Melee 5, Essence 2)
Cost 3m; Keywords none
Supplements One Weapon, Two Blows
Prerequisites One Weapon, Two Blows

For the requirement of One Weapon, Two Blows, treat your Initiative as if it was 3 higher.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
That's beautiful. More please.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
I literally cheered at that charm formatting.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Ideally, that kind of formatting would explicitly read "make a Melee attack" or "make a non-ranged attack" or similar.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

What is this "natural language" thing people are complaining about?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dr. Tough posted:

Natural Language, IIRC, is when you try to write rules in the way that you talk, but fail at making the rules clear thus muddling the whole thing. Correct me if I am worng.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Does anyone else think Agile Dragonfly Blade is a terrible, borderline-useless charm?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Covok posted:

Natural Language, IIRC, is when you try to write rules in the way that you talk, but fail at making the rules clear thus muddling the whole thing. Correct me if I am worng.

Basically. Sometimes combined with, unintentionally or otherwise, obscuring that the game rules are, in fact, rules to a game.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Thug Lessons posted:

Does anyone else think Agile Dragonfly Blade is a terrible, borderline-useless charm?

I would basically never buy it. It seems like a good power to make the innate bonus of a unique daiklave or something.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

It doesn't seem very good, especially when you could just buy Iron Whirlwind Attack instead of that.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Ideally, that kind of formatting would explicitly read "make a Melee attack" or "make a non-ranged attack" or similar.

Good point, I forgot that catch with Reflexives.

spectralent posted:

That's beautiful. More please.

Battle Fury Focus (Resistance 5, Essence 2)
Prerequisites Willpower-Enhancing Spirit
Cost 5m; Keywords none
Action Simple (One scene)
Requirement You must be engaged combat or attempting to engage in combat. If you make a withdraw action the Charm ends.

Your combat-related dice pools are increased by +1d.

Your wound penalties are reduced by 1.

Your Intimacies related to combat are increased in intensity by one (up to +5 or -4).

You can only use social influence for commands related to combat or persuasion that's simple intimidation.

Whirlwind Horse-Armoring Prana (Ride 5, Essence 3)
Prerequisites Harmonious Tacking Technique
Cost 1m to 3m or 5m, 1wp; Keywords none

Choose one:
- Pay 3m. You send your mount's tack, barding, and up to three weapons to Elsewhere.
- Pay 1m per round for up to three rounds. Each round you pay the cost, you call from Elsewhere (in order) your mount's tack, barding, and up to three weapons.
- Essence 3+ only: Pay 5m, 1wp. You call your mount's entire set of gear from Elsewhere.

You don't need to dismount to use this Charm.

If you know Glorious Solar Plate, you can use that Charm for 5m as a reflexive action when you use this Charm. Your mount gains the benefits instead of you.

Inverted Ego Mask (Socialize 5, Essence 2)
Prerequisites Penumbra Self Meditation
Cost 2m, 1wp; Keywords none
Requirement An opponent succeeds on a read intentions action against you.

You supply false motives of your choice to the opponent's read intentions action.

If the opponent also determines one of your Intimacies, you may also supply a false context for that Tie or changed wording for that Principle. If you do, this remains as a false Intimacy for the purpose of opponents' read intentions actions (but not for other purposes) until the end of the story. If you experience Limit Break during that time, you gain it as an actual Intimacy until the end of the story.

Dr. Tough posted:

Compare my version of Inverted Ego Mask above to how the one in the book talks about "piercing Guile" and "uncovering Intimacies" without ever actually saying what action it's talking about.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 26, 2015

Vyacheslav
Aug 4, 2003
Hey, quick 2.5 question!

My group is experiencing a little friction around Wise-Eyed Courtier Method. We don't have a clear idea what it does, and we're a little tripped up by the way that it changes the beliefs of a society without actually changing any one person's mind, as well as the problem of it creating splinter groups who are also affected by the charm. In addition to this, our performance guy is making noises about how it makes him superfluous. Does anyone have any insight into how this charm works, and how it's supposed to fit into the game?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dr. Tough posted:

Alternately, it's when you say what you mean and rely on the reader to assume you mean something sensible and not manually nail down every possible edge case.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Alternately, it's when you say what you mean and rely on the reader to assume you mean something sensible and not manually nail down every possible edge case.

There's a substantial difference between "expecting reasonable interpretations" and "being flowery enough to literally not even mention the action that a Charm is meant to defend against".

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

If you're tired of crafting nonsense constantly to get your silver points, you could just go beat up Gato.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Possible edge cases like "the opponent I'm counterattacking successfully hit me".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Esser-Z posted:

If you're tired of crafting nonsense constantly to get your silver points, you could just go beat up Gato.
:golfclap:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Dr. Tough posted:

As others have said in various ways, in a roleplaying game context, it means attempts to write things using a structure and syntax that resembles natural speech rather than the legalistic, structured writing of mechanical rules. A lot of people tend to prefer reading natural language because it more resembles the kind of speech and writing they are familiar with. However, its informal structure makes it more prone to ambiguities and inaccuracies than legalistic structures.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

There is a charm which numerous people struggled to understand the purpose of because it's actual rules are indistinguishable from the natural language around it.

Also, charms would take up much less space using the above method.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Ideally you'd want to do what the designers didn't do and spend the time to go through and keyword a bunch of different abilities (i.e. 'reroll 1s until 1s no longer appear' having its own name, possibly with 'reroll 10s and add them to the total' having another). Add in a "X/scene" thing, too, although I don't know if there are even powers that are limited per-scene but have a limit other than one. Might be able to special case those.

quote:

Agile Dragonfly Blade (Melee 5, Essence 2)
Cost n/a; Keywords none (1/scene)
Supplements One Weapon, Two Blows
Prerequisites One Weapon, Two Blows

For the requirement of One Weapon, Two Blows, treat your Initiative as if it was 3 higher.

e: cascade reroll is a good name for it, and then 'add Xs and reroll them" is just explode, so that's simple enough.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

As others have said in various ways, in a roleplaying game context, it means attempts to write things using a structure and syntax that resembles natural speech rather than the legalistic, structured writing of mechanical rules. A lot of people tend to prefer reading natural language because it more resembles the kind of speech and writing they are familiar with. However, its informal structure makes it more prone to ambiguities and inaccuracies than legalistic structures.

To me, there's a difference between "language that sounds natural" and "natural language".

Magic: the Gathering, for example, started in Alpha/Beta with the latter, and gradually progressed towards the former. Most MtG cards are reasonably intuitive, but have language structured and templated in a specific way so that that "intuition" is consistent and backed by a corpus of (because of that consistency, usually unnecessary) formal rules.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, a precisely worded game doesn't have to read "IF X MOTES REMAIN IN YOUR POOL, SUBTRACT THREE, THEN HENCE ADD NO FEWER OR MORE THAN THREE (3) DICE" or something. I mean, look at fourth edition D&D, or, again, magic, which is exactly the kind of vibe Exalted's billion powers gives me. Or warmachine! Or compare Infinity v1 with N3 for how huge a difference tightening up your rules makes, even. There's loads of examples within tabletop gaming.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

spectralent posted:

Yeah, a precisely worded game doesn't have to read "IF X MOTES REMAIN IN YOUR POOL, SUBTRACT THREE, THEN HENCE ADD NO FEWER OR MORE THAN THREE (3) DICE" or something. I mean, look at fourth edition D&D, or, again, magic, which is exactly the kind of vibe Exalted's billion powers gives me. Or warmachine! Or compare Infinity v1 with N3 for how huge a difference tightening up your rules makes, even. There's loads of examples within tabletop gaming.

Note that Exalted actually does read this way, and will in the middle of casually-described charms drop expressions like [(Stamina+Lore)-(Essence/2)] or similar right on your head. (I made that one up but parentheses and division signs and so on absolutely do come up)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

Note that Exalted actually does read this way, and will in the middle of casually-described charms drop expressions like [(Stamina+Lore)-(Essence/2)] or similar right on your head. (I made that one up but parentheses and division signs and so on absolutely do come up)

Oh yeah, that too.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rand Brittain posted:

No, I'm sorry, there are actual giant holes in current charm rules text that border on "why did I pay for someone to tell me this" rather than "why didn't they develop a Turing-complete rules engine that could handle any conceivable input". Solar Counterattack doesn't tell you if it can save you from damage! That's kind of a big deal!

Strawmanning the worst-case scenario doesn't actually absolve you of doing necessary work.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

Solar Counterattack doesn't tell you if it can save you from damage! That's kind of a big deal!

Sure it does. Or rather, it doesn't say that it does save you from damage, so it doesn't.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rand Brittain posted:

Sure it does. Or rather, it doesn't say that it does save you from damage, so it doesn't.

Are you for real, dude. Like I get wanting to stick up for your friends but holy hell.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

The damage occurs after the triggering attack's 'result', but before its damage is rolled. Not even 'applied', but 'rolled'. Does an attack's damage still get rolled and applied if, between that attack landing and that attack actually dealing damage, the attacker's maker were to be incapacitated or killed? The book sure as hell doesn't say, and unless I'm to take it you just asked one of the writers for confirmation in order to hand us this piece of official errata, you're just bullshitting me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

Are you for real, dude. Like I get wanting to stick up for your friends but holy hell.

I'm pretty serious?

Like, the Charm literally does not say anything that implies that you don't get damaged if your counterattack succeeds, so, it doesn't have that function.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

RPZip posted:

Add in a "X/scene" thing, too, although I don't know if there are even powers that are limited per-scene but have a limit other than one. Might be able to special case those.
There are a bunch of 1/scene and 1/day ones.

Clear Mind Discipline (Integrity 5, Essence 2)
Prerequisites: Mind-Cleansing Prana, or any three Martial Arts Charms
Cost —; Keywords Bridge
Action Reflexive (Instant), 1/day

You gain the benefits of Mind-Cleansing Prana, as though you had used that Charm.

Seven Shadow Evasion (Dodge 5, Essence 2)
Prerequisites Force-Stealing Feint
Cost 4m, 1wp; Keywords Uniform
Action Reflexive (Instant), 1/scene
Requirement An opponent makes an attack against you, or you are subject to uncountable damage.

You dodge the attack without a contest, or you avoid the uncountable damage, including any recurring uncountable damage.

Recharge Using Reed in the Wind, dodge three decisive attacks from dangerous opponents.

Unmatched Showmanship Style (Performance 5, Essence 4)
Prerequisites Trance of Fugue Vision
Cost —; Keywords Mute
Supplements Performance roll, 1/day

The roll gains the benefits of Excellent Solar Performance, as though you had spent the maximum number of motes.

Recharge Use Performance to achieve one of your defining goals.

RPZip posted:

reroll 1s until 1s no longer appear
I used "cascade reroll each X" for that particular one (and changed that from "cascade reroll Xs" to avoid conflicts with "add +1s").

Also, what the hell is up with Unmatched Showmanship Style? "Instant Charm with no cost" is definitely a thing in the book, so why is it a Permanent?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

The damage occurs after the triggering attack's 'result', but before its damage is rolled. Not even 'applied', but 'rolled'. Does an attack's damage still get rolled and applied if, between that attack landing and that attack actually dealing damage, the attacker's maker were to be incapacitated or killed? The book sure as hell doesn't say, and unless I'm to take it you just asked one of the writers for confirmation in order to hand us this piece of official errata, you're just bullshitting me.

Well, I guess it wouldn't happen if they died, which is a situation I hadn't considered. I mean, who's going to roll the damage dice if they're dead?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

And I'm pretty sure in previous editions it was explicit about what happened in that case.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, I guess it wouldn't happen if they died, which is a situation I hadn't considered. I mean, who's going to roll the damage dice if they're dead?

Who, indeed? And yet, if we look at it another way, we might imagine that since the attack still hit, and happened, we're to understand that the damage is going to get rolled in any event and that the only reason Solar Counterattack specifies timing in the way it does is to make sure that any wound penalties or other impairments caused by the attack won't affect the counterattack itself. Which is it? Well, it'd probably be sterile and oppressive to know.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Who, indeed? And yet, if we look at it another way, we might imagine that since the attack still hit, and happened, we're to understand that the damage is going to get rolled in any event and that the only reason Solar Counterattack specifies timing in the way it does is to make sure that any wound penalties or other impairments caused by the attack won't affect the counterattack itself. Which is it? Well, it'd probably be sterile and oppressive to know.

This is probably the most reasonable answer, on, reflection, since the Charm doesn't say that it prevents damage under any circumstances and mutual kills in melee duels is A Thing in the source material.

Asking people about it, it was pointed out to me that it probably takes place between getting hit and getting damaged so that your counterattack roll isn't penalized by the wound penalties you're about to have.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

This is probably the most reasonable answer, on, reflection, since the Charm doesn't say that it prevents damage under any circumstances and mutual kills in melee duels is A Thing in the source material.

Asking people about it, it was pointed out to me that it probably takes place between getting hit and getting damaged so that your counterattack roll isn't penalized by the wound penalties you're about to have.

"Probably"?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

"Probably" is not an acceptable answer from rules produced by allegedly professional rules-producing people.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Zereth posted:

"Probably" is not an acceptable answer from rules produced by allegedly professional rules-producing people.

It wouldn't hurt the Charm to have it either say it doesn't prevent damage, or to explain that the timing is so that you don't take wound penalties on your attack (which would have the same effect), but I still think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
The key word in your post is "interpretation", since that's all we have. There's your original interpretation of "dead men don't roll damage dice" but there's the competing "getting hit means taking damage" clause to worry about and they cannot both be true. When people get annoyed by that awful You Figure It Out sidebar they are not just raising a fuss because Aw Shucks Exalted Fans Sure Are Excitable* it's because the writing is unclear and the developers are aware enough to joke about it instead of addressing it.

*Ugh

Calde fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 26, 2015

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It's also why natural language is really bad. Again, "The Solar’s words feed the audience like a nutritious meal and hydrate them like water from a fresh spring." turned out to be rules text. That was a surprise. That's the kind of flowery language which is routinely thrown into charm for no real reason. Only the absence of any other obvious benefit made people look at that and go "Oh, I guess it literally feeds people and that's the mechanical effect?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Roadie posted:

There are a bunch of 1/scene and 1/day ones.

Clear Mind Discipline (Integrity 5, Essence 2)
Prerequisites: Mind-Cleansing Prana, or any three Martial Arts Charms
Cost —; Keywords Bridge
Action Reflexive (Instant), 1/day

You gain the benefits of Mind-Cleansing Prana, as though you had used that Charm.

Seven Shadow Evasion (Dodge 5, Essence 2)
Prerequisites Force-Stealing Feint
Cost 4m, 1wp; Keywords Uniform
Action Reflexive (Instant), 1/scene
Requirement An opponent makes an attack against you, or you are subject to uncountable damage.

You dodge the attack without a contest, or you avoid the uncountable damage, including any recurring uncountable damage.

Recharge Using Reed in the Wind, dodge three decisive attacks from dangerous opponents.

Unmatched Showmanship Style (Performance 5, Essence 4)
Prerequisites Trance of Fugue Vision
Cost —; Keywords Mute
Supplements Performance roll, 1/day

The roll gains the benefits of Excellent Solar Performance, as though you had spent the maximum number of motes.

Recharge Use Performance to achieve one of your defining goals.

I used "cascade reroll each X" for that particular one (and changed that from "cascade reroll Xs" to avoid conflicts with "add +1s").

Also, what the hell is up with Unmatched Showmanship Style? "Instant Charm with no cost" is definitely a thing in the book, so why is it a Permanent?

Roadie are you planning on continuing this for all of the Charms?

• Locked thread