Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi_ZQslBH8o

:britain: :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Mortabis posted:

A while back in GiP a navy officer (ManMythLegend, I think) who has actually been on one defended the LCS as being basically a much more capable OHP.

I have to ask how though. It's weapons packages, even the surface warfare module, are almostly entirely poo poo unless you need to shoot at a lot of speedboats.

Theres a reason they already fleshed out with the SSC reconfiguration of the LCS future, and I still don't think comes off as very capable. Those corvettes I mentioned can carry 12 Klubs and 8 Redut, which are basically S-300PMU.

The LCS carry almost none to no OTH weapon capability at all, and nearly no AA capability. Littorals maybe, but completely poo poo at actually fighting off another combat vessel. I understand we have Burkes but why not get something actually useful off on its own, like the FREMM or the Type 26.

I can justify some of the stupid poo poo going on the with the F-35, but I never have really seen anything good about the LCS and why we're still building them. And don't get me wrong here, I'm completely open to being proven wrong, I've just never seen anything fleshed out in that regard.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 26, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/26/us-southchinasea-usa-idUSKCN0SK2AC20151026

That Spratly cruise is coming up.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

I like how they pass over an obvious radar some farm and boom there's a baseball field. Gosh I wonder if there are any Americans there!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So that stupid expensive naval combat sim game is on sale (only $60 instead of $80), is it worth it? I don't play a lot of computer games but I am a nerd.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

bewbies posted:

So that stupid expensive naval combat sim game is on sale (only $60 instead of $80), is it worth it? I don't play a lot of computer games but I am a nerd.

It's pretty awesome. It doesn't really play like any other PC game unless you played some of the harpoon series. You can also edit units so you can do stuff like give LCS an OTH and see what more you can do with it.

Just make sure you're getting the original base game and not their new DLC which only has a subset of the full game.

Edit: trying to not nerd out recommending it, but it's a really great way to see how things like air units, tankers, AWACS, work with SAM units and naval assets over a short 48 hour or so engagement window.

TCD fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 27, 2015

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

The Mi-24 is a very sinister sounding aircraft.

https://youtu.be/kCuLQ_sc-C4?t=24

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

bewbies posted:

We have a thread over in Games for it (and other games much like it): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3543909&perpage=40&pagenumber=218#pti33

It's somewhat overwhelming at first because you have some scenarios where you just control a single submarine and others where you literally command the entire NATO Atlantic fleet in day 2 of WWIII.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

EA-6B spotted! I love those planes, they're like homer's car with the separate backseat for the drat kids.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I don't know if it's the photo angle but you can really see a size difference between the regular Hornet and the Super.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

StandardVC10 posted:

I don't know if it's the photo angle but you can really see a size difference between the regular Hornet and the Super.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Superhornet looks swole AF

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

it'shappening.gif

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

it'shappening.gif

Hoping for some gifs of ridiculously low/close passes by chinese fighter jets

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Way to give away the time and place in advance. How unfortunate would it be if that ship just happened to hit a mine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Samuel_B._Roberts_(FFG-58)

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 27, 2015

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Aggressive yet harmless dickwaving antics are pretty much my favourite military thing.

Turbot War :canada:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Slept poorly
Had to get up at some horrid pitch-dark time
Suffered through the NPR pledge drive during breakfast
Fought through morning rush hour on a rain-soaked day
Drove hours through the rain in some of the most boring Midwest terrain around
Nearly got there too late because of course I was late
Shivered in the cold
But still....

Worth it

david_a fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 27, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

david_a posted:

Worth it

How do I buy you a beer over the internet

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

How do I buy you a beer over the internet

https://drizly.com/

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

About 1,000 Bikini islanders have applied to relocate to the United States as rising seas threaten their adopted home.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

david_a posted:

Slept poorly
Had to get up at some horrid pitch-dark time
Suffered through the NPR pledge drive during breakfast
Fought through morning rush hour on a rain-soaked day
Drove hours through the rain in some of the most boring Midwest terrain around
Nearly got there too late because of course I was late
Shivered in the cold
But still....

Worth it

Daaaamn

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Way to give away the time and place in advance. How unfortunate would it be if that ship just happened to hit a mine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Samuel_B._Roberts_(FFG-58)

In a just world, one of the new destroyers getting laid down would be named Samuel B. Roberts, the same day as FFG-58 got decommissioned.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My camera takes slightly better photos than my phone so I'll share more when I get home. There were people there with Serious Business cameras too of course; hopefully those will make it online shortly.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Post those photos quickly

I'm almost there...

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Northrop won the Long Range Bomber contract.
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/northrop-beats-boeing-for-crucial-pentagon-bomber-contract/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edit: Wrong thread.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So when they say "strike anywhere in the world on short notice", do they mean flying from the United States?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebakenezzer posted:

So when they say "strike anywhere in the world on short notice", do they mean flying from the United States?

I thought that was Prompt Global Strike thing which fielded ideas like the SSGN conversion program and cool...but insane to do like putting conventional warheads on ICBMs.*

*Barring all the obvious bad reasons watching cruise missile like strikes launch out of the silos vs ship would have been pretty cool....bad for tons of other reasons...but still cool and not needing WWIII to trigger it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Do they do wedding registries?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Without elaboration that statement is meaningless.

quote:

The Long Range Strike (LRS) bomber is designed to penetrate all defenses and strike an enemy target anywhere on earth at short notice. The first aircraft are expected to be operational in the mid-2020s.
After Boeing is debriefed by the Air Force, it has the option to file a protest that could put the project on hold.

lol if you think this will be ready by the B-52's planned retirement in 2044.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
10 years from requirement to operational. For a stealth plane. If they have a prototype flying by then I'd be surprised.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

hobbesmaster posted:

lol if you think this will be ready by the B-52's planned retirement in 2044.

I literally laughed out loud at the "mid 2020s" nonsense in the article.

In other news, Danish F-16 went down and had a little swim: http://www.thelocal.dk/20151027/danish-f-16-crashes-into-north-sea

Fortunately the pilot is all right.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boeing will still be filing lawsuits in the mid 2020s.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

ArchangeI posted:

10 years from requirement to operational. For a stealth plane. If they have a prototype flying by then I'd be surprised.

Wonder how much it will have in common with an embiggened X-47. The Super Hornet went from initial bid to first flight in less than a decade, and Northrop has been hyping it's rapid-prototyping Scaled Composites business for a while now.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

ArchangeI posted:

They might. The amount of progress that's already been made seems to be classified but everyone is reporting that the program is very advanced already. Wind tunnel tests are apparently done, and a lot of the components have been tested.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

There were also the photos of that Not-B2 flying over texas. They probably have at least one prototype.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

See ya next spring old fella!

Bonus shots since the Gallery of Missiles was unexpectedly open:

I can't remember if it was this thread or the AI one where the A-3 came up recently, but here's an AF version (RB-66):

They flew this monster off carriers? LOL

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Do they do wedding registries?

The LRS-B will deliver to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I'm going to be upset if they don't name the new bomber the B-3 Shadowfortress