Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Videogame demos at trade shows are notorious for stuff like that. They'll have stuff where someone is showing off a "playable demo" of a game, leaving out the fact that everything is tightly scripted that way and nothing about it actually works.

It's funny how they keep doing that. Sega actually had to settle a lawsuit to the tune of $1.25 million over the Colonial Marines fiasco. Pretty much everyone can spot a pre-rendered "real gameplay" trailer the second they get released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

PC games have the same problem-stuff that ran on DOS you can mostly just run through DosBox, and games newer than about 2005 or so will mostly run just fine, but games for Windows 95 and 98 are a real pain to get running.

Yup. I have a couple of games from that era that I specifically keep a Windows XP vm around just to play them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

grittyreboot posted:

It's funny how they keep doing that. Sega actually had to settle a lawsuit to the tune of $1.25 million over the Colonial Marines fiasco. Pretty much everyone can spot a pre-rendered "real gameplay" trailer the second they get released.

That's not the first, or worst, time they got burned by this, either. In fact, demos were a big part of what happened with Sonic 2006; not only did they set a bar they couldn't meet with a pre-rendered trailer, they forked off part of the development team specifically to work on the demo. Not only did this set expectations higher than the game could actually meet, it reduced the actual development team. And the work they did couldn't be imported back to the game itself, so the highly polished demo was leagues better than the actual part of the game it was based on.

Sonic 2006 has issues far bigger than just marketing, but that's part of it enough that I think it deserves to be mentioned here. This blog post goes into detail on everything that went wrong about Sonic 2006, which it turns out is 'basically everything', and is a great read.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

grittyreboot posted:

Wasn't a fair chunk of the Colonial Marines problems because gearbox embezzled most of the money into their own projects then outsourced the rest to bullshit korean companies or something then just threw their hands up and went "Well how were we supposed to know they were poo poo at this job"? Or have I, again, been following the wrong sources.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember CoD Big Red One had some lawsuits about showing pre rendered footage and passing it off as actual gameplay. These were successful and it became illegal to show pre rendered footage of games and not have a big rear end declaimer saying "rendered footage, not actual game play!"

Though by now, most games look that good anyways. They run the stuff on a super high powered system but its actual game play. I always liked the GTA ads for being honest how crummy the games looked.

Bill Gates and the demo guy are wearing some 90s suits in that video. They look like they're going to be taken down by Segal or something.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
JB Hi-Fi saves money by letting their sales staff draw up their own marketing with a sharpie.

They also let staff write up their own reviews.

A friend of mine who worked in JB's told me that as long as it's in the 'company font' you can pretty write whatever you like.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Slugnoid posted:

JB Hi-Fi saves money by letting their sales staff draw up their own marketing with a sharpie.

A friend of mine who worked in JB's told me that as long as it's in the 'company font' you can pretty write whatever you like.

I don't know, I could see this being effective at building a loyal, local clientele that enjoys the novelty of it. Kind of like restraunts where the staff being rude to the customers (and to a degree, vice versa) is the selling point. Though the pedobear joke is a bit much and I'm sure the your mum jokes get old fast.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Slugnoid posted:

If the zillion coffee shop blackboard signs that pop up on social media are any indication, letting employees make signs just means they're going to spend most of the time trying to make signs that "go viral" on the internet.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sleeveless posted:

If the zillion coffee shop blackboard signs that pop up on social media are any indication, letting employees make signs just means they're going to spend most of the time trying to make signs that "go viral" on the internet.

Eh, most JBs I've seen evidently don't have employees that can be :effort: to do anything funny or "funny" and just draw normal-ish sale signs, except, y'know, hand drawn. :shrug:

That Tour de France one is pretty great. :allears:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

0toShifty posted:

I bought a used PS3 from Gamestop a year ago. It's a CECHA01 model from 2006 - so it's hardware compatible with PS2 and PS1 games. They actually had two of this same model, so I bought both and flipped the other the same day for double the money - so I essentially got a free PS3 out of nowhere. HDMI connection to the tv. The downside is that it can't read my memory cards so I have to start over in the games (not a big deal to me)

You own a working CECHA01? Holy poo poo.

Um, on a totally unrelated note, do you mind providing your address and daily schedule, specifically noting times that your home will be unoccupied?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wish my PS3's CD reader still worked :smith:
It's the launch 60gb one and everything even.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I have one, too. Are they that rare nowadays?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

$119.98 & FREE Shipping

Well I didn't say that new ones were affordable. :v:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Slugnoid posted:

Hang on, this is the thread for dumb marketing moves.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Yeah I've always liked JB HI-FIs staff reviews. Even if they don't do anything funny, at least they are generally helpful or informative.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Also if JB gets a particularly artistic employee, you get cool pictures with your SALE signs too.
For every dumb ya mum joke there are like 20 not too useless or genuinely funny reviews.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
The anime section at my local JB (don't judge me I have a problem alright) usually has some cool sketches to go with the staff reviews.

It's a nice touch that makes it seem like less of a corporate shithole.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Video game people should gently caress off to another thread.

What exactly is the point of those surveys that are increasingly popping up, especially on news sites, that are mandatory before you read an article or something? Do marketers really think they're getting something from those?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I would not buy anything that was recommended to me by someone who likes Sonic. People who like Sonic are terrible, broken people.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cheerfullydrab posted:

Video game people should gently caress off to another thread.

What exactly is the point of those surveys that are increasingly popping up, especially on news sites, that are mandatory before you read an article or something? Do marketers really think they're getting something from those?

I've actually stopped reading websites that I liked because of such mandatory surveys. There's very little information that any site could possibly have which wouldn't be available at some other site which isn't behind a pain-in-the-rear end wall.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

CommonShore posted:

I've actually stopped reading websites that I liked because of such mandatory surveys. There's very little information that any site could possibly have which wouldn't be available at some other site which isn't behind a pain-in-the-rear end wall.

The same is true of any news site that limits readership to 5 articles per month unless you have a subscription. I wonder how that policy affects those sites' overall readership

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Blue Pyramid posted:

The same is true of any news site that limits readership to 5 articles per month unless you have a subscription. I wonder how that policy affects those sites' overall readership

Meh open the links in private/incognito mode. Solves that problem.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
You're a group of companies whose businesses largely depend on PC sales. PC sales have been dropping rapidly as smartphones and tablets have become ubiquitous. Additionally, computers last longer than they used to. What's your grand scheme to lift sales again?

If you answered "a terrible ad campaign with a slogan that sounds like it's been through Google Translate a few times," congratulations! You should be fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSjRluOmCD8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRk7SlwKQUw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_P4kISd3CM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHHw0sq2ONk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0AQGNAMJHc

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nut Bunnies posted:

You're a group of companies whose businesses largely depend on PC sales. PC sales have been dropping rapidly as smartphones and tablets have become ubiquitous. Additionally, computers last longer than they used to. What's your grand scheme to lift sales again?

If you answered "a terrible ad campaign with a slogan that sounds like it's been through Google Translate a few times," congratulations! You should be fired.

It says it is faster than a 5 year old PC and they provide a link to their Benchmarks page which has no information on it whatsoever other than describing what a benchmark is. :laffo:

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Decrepus posted:

It says it is faster than a 5 year old PC and they provide a link to their Benchmarks page which has no information on it whatsoever other than describing what a benchmark is. :laffo:

So I dug into this and found some actual info on the benchmark. The 5 year old system is an Acer Aspire 1830T from 2010 with i5-520UM, (1.06GHz, turbo up to 1.86GHz), 4GB DDR3 1600MHz and a 500GB HDD.

And the new system is a i5-6200U (3.2GHz, turbo up to 3.4GHz), 2x4GB DDR4-2133 and an SSD.

Tested on a benchmarks that is such a joke that NVidia, AMD and VIA all quit it back in 2011. And they somehow only got 2.5x the score. With an SSD vs an HDD.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm pretty sure sites that you have to create an account for before you can even browse the site is a marking mandate. That way they can collect dad on everyone who uses the site. I can understand needing to create an account on a forums or a site like amazon, because you're going to need some way to identify yourself when you come back, but on friday at Magic we wanted to get a pizza (we couldn't do a normal thing of going to a bar and playing because we had younger players with us and it was the last Jays game) but in order for me to even LOOK at the closest pizza places website I had to register. All I want are your drat prices and if there's any deals.

Luckily you see less and less of those, and didn't even amazon just let you go in, buy something enter your billing/shipping details and not have to register?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

That way they can collect dad on everyone who uses the site.

I need him to help me build decks

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I was just reminded earlier about Masters, a hardware chain owned by Woolworths in Australia. I mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Now, this information is fuzzy at best, since it's from a tv show I had no interest in watching. So I may have the supplier wrong. Any Aussie goons able to confirm/correct me?

So anyway, in Australia, TV shows about home renovations are big ratings catchers. They all basically get a bunch of couples, give them a shithole/regular house (or some rooms) each, then give them a budget and a timeframe to get that place looking awesome. They then judge them on their work, and some shows get them to auction off the houses once they're done, with them getting to keep the profits. Depending on the show. I don't give a poo poo about home renovation, so I know that there are like 4 shows like this on at prime time and to me, they all just kind of blend together.

Anyway, because of the home renovation angle, companies love to pay to get their poo poo inserted, pretty much just a bunch of paid presentations. So Mary and Bob have decided to repaint this bathroom purple, and they're using this gorgeous shade from Duralux paint and they'll be seen screwing together a fancy bed with a Bosch power tool etc.

Well, Masters hardware decided to push their brand by being the "supplier" for all their poo poo, so whenever the people would need nails or power cords or a pre-built vanity or something, they'd be on camera going to Masters to get it.

Cue one couple ordering something (I think it was a set of cupboards or something like that) and Masters managed to gently caress their order up like 4 times, which wasted time and resources for that team. I think it was somthing like 'ordered wrong theng, then got thing cut to wrong size, then ordered wrong thing again, then didn't order thing, sorry, wrong colour etc".

It was absolutely delightful. Use Masters! We're just the worst!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Nut Bunnies posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSjRluOmCD8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRk7SlwKQUw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_P4kISd3CM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHHw0sq2ONk

Marketing team gets paid what?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

These are the best because the big selling point is that laptops can become tablets, which is the equivalent of a shocked ex-girlfriend bargaining to get back together by saying "what you like that blonde with big tits I'll dye my hair and get implants see we're the same LOVE ME!"

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Marketing team gets paid what?

More than what most of us get paid in 5 years.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

mind the walrus posted:

More than what most of us get paid in 5 years.

Given the crisis that marketing is facing I'd guess there's a fair bit of turnover after the payday, though

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

These are the best because the big selling point is that laptops can become tablets, which is the equivalent of a shocked ex-girlfriend bargaining to get back together by saying "what you like that blonde with big tits I'll dye my hair and get implants see we're the same LOVE ME!"

Not to mention good sound and long battery life. Definitely can't get those on a tablet. Nope.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Given the crisis that marketing is facing I'd guess there's a fair bit of turnover after the payday, though

That business is always in crisis. Capitalism in the late 20th and early 21st centuries requires constant exponential growth, so it's always in crisis. I have a book written by an ad man in the late 1960s and he was already going on about this marketing crisis. It was normal even then for advertising and marketing people to make massive salaries for exactly five years and then be without a job as they were dumped for the next cohort of young bright new ideas. I don't doubt that it's in a worse crisis now given that nobody has money to spend on the things that are being advertised, but the turnover thing has been a constant for at least 50 years, even when there's a consumer boom on.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Aside from what has already been said marketing is facing the issue that nobody has money enough to buy fancy things. They're trying to get blood from a stone at this point. It's kind of amusing but also super depressing that the same people shoving wages down are expecting those same people they're paying to have infinite money with which to buy things.

Why no, car advertisement, I do not, in fact, have tens of thousands of dollars just laying around to throw on a new car.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw those ads at the movie theater yesterday and could not believe they were real. How did 5 companies decide these were good enough? $70 million down the drain.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I'm still not sold on the idea of a foldy laptop keyboard, it actually kinda unnerves me.
Gunna get a bunch of crud between the keys and stuff...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw those ads at the movie theater yesterday and could not believe they were real. How did 5 companies decide these were good enough? $70 million down the drain.

Those 5 companies do not make meaningful amounts of money off of phones and tablets, which are quickly becoming PC replacements for most people. They'll try anything.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Those 5 companies do not make meaningful amounts of money off of phones and tablets, which are quickly becoming PC replacements for most people. They'll try anything.

Next step, make a PC that has wifi in it, like a tablet does, without needing an adapter?

I loving hate the BK "crosssssaaaaaainwich!" commercials. No, gently caress you, drive through dude, I will never eat there because I don't want some fucker screaming that at me.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowslips Warren posted:

Next step, make a PC that has wifi in it, like a tablet does, without needing an adapter?

I loving hate the BK "crosssssaaaaaainwich!" commercials. No, gently caress you, drive through dude, I will never eat there because I don't want some fucker screaming that at me.

Huh? Laptops pretty much all have built-in wifi nowadays.

Desktops don't usually, because they're not portable and your average user will want a wired connection on them. But you can buy a part that does that and install it yourself. A quick amazon search shows some wifi cards for less than :20bux:.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Aside from what has already been said marketing is facing the issue that nobody has money enough to buy fancy things. They're trying to get blood from a stone at this point. It's kind of amusing but also super depressing that the same people shoving wages down are expecting those same people they're paying to have infinite money with which to buy things.

Why no, car advertisement, I do not, in fact, have tens of thousands of dollars just laying around to throw on a new car.

Yeah, exactly. It's amusing to see them jump through every hoop except the one labeled 'people don't get paid enough'. That can't be it! Try jumping through all the other hoops harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

princecoo posted:

I was just reminded earlier about Masters, a hardware chain owned by Woolworths in Australia. I mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Now, this information is fuzzy at best, since it's from a tv show I had no interest in watching. So I may have the supplier wrong. Any Aussie goons able to confirm/correct me?

So anyway, in Australia, TV shows about home renovations are big ratings catchers. They all basically get a bunch of couples, give them a shithole/regular house (or some rooms) each, then give them a budget and a timeframe to get that place looking awesome. They then judge them on their work, and some shows get them to auction off the houses once they're done, with them getting to keep the profits. Depending on the show. I don't give a poo poo about home renovation, so I know that there are like 4 shows like this on at prime time and to me, they all just kind of blend together.

Anyway, because of the home renovation angle, companies love to pay to get their poo poo inserted, pretty much just a bunch of paid presentations. So Mary and Bob have decided to repaint this bathroom purple, and they're using this gorgeous shade from Duralux paint and they'll be seen screwing together a fancy bed with a Bosch power tool etc.

Well, Masters hardware decided to push their brand by being the "supplier" for all their poo poo, so whenever the people would need nails or power cords or a pre-built vanity or something, they'd be on camera going to Masters to get it.

Cue one couple ordering something (I think it was a set of cupboards or something like that) and Masters managed to gently caress their order up like 4 times, which wasted time and resources for that team. I think it was somthing like 'ordered wrong theng, then got thing cut to wrong size, then ordered wrong thing again, then didn't order thing, sorry, wrong colour etc".

It was absolutely delightful. Use Masters! We're just the worst!

Masters is also getting crushed by Bunnings for looking too much like a department store versus bunnings' bare bones 'warehouse full o tools' style. They'll probably be gone in a year.