Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think it's a little interesting that apparently Asgore and Toriel are immortal unless they have a child and pass their soul on to it, so with Asriel gone they'll be around forever and probably have to learn to get along. They'll both outlive Frisk and the rest of their friends, but they're probably used to that what with the rest of their monster subjects - teacher seems like a good job since it'd keep them in contact with every new generation.

It's also sad that the last conversation with Asriel implies he'll revert to Flowey at some point. Assuming that Save/Load powers either cease to exist or remain with Frisk, he's not too much of a danger anymore, but he still exists and he's still the hollow shell of Asgore and Toriel's son. I guess the future is left open but I'd like to think there's some way to help him that doesn't result in mad science and amalgamated monsters - maybe Asgore and Toriel can still pass their souls on to him somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Dolash posted:

I think it's a little interesting that apparently Asgore and Toriel are immortal unless they have a child and pass their soul on to it, so with Asriel gone they'll be around forever and probably have to learn to get along. They'll both outlive Frisk and the rest of their friends, but they're probably used to that what with the rest of their monster subjects - teacher seems like a good job since it'd keep them in contact with every new generation.

It's also sad that according to that conversation with Asriel at the end, he'll revert to Flowey at some point. Assuming that Save/Load powers either cease to exist or remain with Frisk, he's not too much of a danger anymore, but he still exists and he's still the hollow shell of Asgore and Toriel's son. I guess the future is left open but I'd like to think there's some way to help him that doesn't result in mad science and amalgamated monsters - maybe Asgore and Toriel can still pass their souls on to him somehow?

You'd have them both die just to save him?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Rorahusky posted:

Besides, after losing two children and very nearly losing a third, I sort of picture Toriel as someone who would focus exclusively on raising Frisk, and save trying to have a lovelife for until after he's all grown up and moved out of the house.

Someone please photoshop Papyrus' and Sans' faces onto this video.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Valgaav posted:

You'd have them both die just to save him?

If you're asking if two parents would die to save their one child I think a vast majority of parents would say yes, especially if that exchange were built into their biology.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Rorahusky posted:

As Flowey, Asriel is a complete and utter rear end who inspires seething rage in me.

But as himself, Asriel is adorkable and loveable and I just wanna pick him up and hug him because it's all so saaaad. drat you game, for making me feel for the amoral villain so effectively!

Well, it's kind of cheating since they're basically 2 different characters. It's not "now I accept the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" but "I had my sociopathy healed from gaining a soul, completely changing my personality, and now I feel bad". Flowey got to see how much everyone cared about Frisk / each other and he just doubled down on being a nihilistic rear end because he was physically incapable of doing anything else.

Also going back to pre-ending stuff, I really want to know more Alphys' predecessor, who presumably designed the weird machine in the lab. That seems like something which was conspicuously not mentioned so either it's only supposed to be implied or it's going to be genocide run material.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sans and Papyrus should have a huge cousin called Impact. And one called Wingdings who nobody can understand.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Valgaav posted:

alt route talk

Stop that.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Nevermind

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

McDragon posted:

Sans and Papyrus should have a huge cousin called Impact. And one called Wingdings who nobody can understand.

I should mention that JN Wiedle is credited as "special inspiration" for Sans and Papyrus, and they have a webcomic starring a skeleton named Helvetica

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Stop that.

...What? If it's alt route talk, it's a surprise to me too. I did a True Pacifist (So, the stuff we've seen in the LP so far) and ended it there - didn't have the heart to go back. I was just musing.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I didn't see anything that merits removing, either.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

demota posted:

Edit: I like that Asriel's attacks involves stars, rainbows, and lightning. Like, to him, those are the coolest things because they don't exist underground.
That never occurred to me. Somewhere in here is a joke about how people never look up

Valgaav posted:

This is an interesting running theme throughout the game, where you never fight things at their full power - you never get to see what they're really capable of... Papyrus is too much of a softie to do anything.
Considering his "totally normal attack" and that we never got to see his actual special attack, I'm gonna go ahead and assume Papyrus going all out is terrifying.

Muffet and a lot of core enemies, the ones explicitly hired to kill Frisk, don't seem to be holding back much, though.

Valgaav posted:

...What? If it's alt route talk, it's a surprise to me too.
I... think it's what's implied by the second sentence? Maybe?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Fish Noise posted:

Considering his "totally normal attack" and that we never got to see his actual special attack, I'm gonna go ahead and assume Papyrus going all out is terrifying.

I'm fairly sure that Undyne mentions at some point that Papyrus is really strong, he's just too completely and utterly good at heart to feel even remotely like harming somebody.

Paperio
Mar 1, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

So I've been trying to figure out what a lot of the music samples from. My best guesses:

• Dating Start - Ace Attorney?
  • Spear of Justice - Touhou?
  • Oh! True Love/Oh! Dungeon - FF6
  • The Song That Might Play When You Fight Sans - Megaman X
  • Amalgam - Earthbound
  • Reunited - Chrono Trigger

Anyone catch any more?

Dogsong uses the bark sound from the Mario Paint composer, possibly other sounds as well.

Confession I want to say uses Mother 3? It sounds awfully like it from the piano samples.

There's a few more that use various 16bit and 8bit samples, like Showtime and Metal Crusher(gently caress yeah 2A03), but I can't really make out any specific game soundfonts.

EDIT: Fixed Youtube link because of related videos, sorry!

Paperio fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 26, 2015

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

TheMcD posted:

I'm fairly sure that Undyne mentions at some point that Papyrus is really strong, he's just too completely and utterly good at heart to feel even remotely like harming somebody.
"actually really freaking tough" I think her exact words.
God, imagine those two doing a team attack.

McDragon posted:

I present to you the relative that no one talks about :

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

"actually really freaking tough" I think her exact words.
God, imagine those two doing a team attack.

What, Undyne turns the player green while Papyrus sends out unavoidable bones?

...That'd be completely unfair, but it'd be neat.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

McDragon posted:

And one called Wingdings who nobody can understand.
Does it count if, for certain meanings of the word, I already can't really understand Papyrus?

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

Well, you get that four-directional shield thing when you're Green, at least.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The other option is Papyrus turns you blue, and now you have to jump to avoid spears. :v:

(My one Undertale Regret: Undyne's attacks did not sync up DDR-style with her battle theme.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Ephraim225 posted:

Specifically, I am imagining the MEGABONE appearing off to the side, and suddenly swiveling down to bludgeon the soul like some sort of slapstick gag hammer.

Alternatively, being allowed to move, but it's a combination of Undyne's spear volley and Papyrus' blue attack.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Ephraim225 posted:

Undyne turns the player green, Papyrus sends out a load of blue bones... Undyne smacks him for being a doofus. :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

All of the bosses combine their attacks at the same time to kill you, but it just ends up being Bit Trip Runner 3

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Captain Bravo posted:

Undyne turns the player green, Papyrus sends out a load of blue bones... Undyne smacks him for being a doofus. :v:
:perfect:

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Valgaav posted:

Ahahaha oh boy. Toby actually gets frustrated at ZUN and Touhou because they share a musical aesthetic, so his music keeps coming out like Touhou music. It's not intentional, and he actually made a tumblr post about how easy it is to make 'touhou-sounding' music with his usual soundfont.

[e] Found it. It isn't quite how I remembered it, but whatever.

This is funnier than it has any right to be, especially his commentary. I don't know if it's a testament to how good of a composer he is or how formulaic the usual Touhou game is, but it's amazing that something he slapped together in five seconds sounds like it could have come from one of those games.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ProfessorProf posted:

So I've been trying to figure out what a lot of the music samples from. My best guesses:

[list]
[*]Dating Start - Ace Attorney?

Dating Start is basically Turnabout Sisters so that's probably the right guess.

I'm really looking forward to seeing all the reactions to the genocide run. This is one of the few games where content is so different but still essentially equal for both sides of the coin.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Valgaav posted:

Ahahaha oh boy. Toby actually gets frustrated at ZUN and Touhou because they share a musical aesthetic, so his music keeps coming out like Touhou music. It's not intentional, and he actually made a tumblr post about how easy it is to make 'touhou-sounding' music with his usual soundfont.

[e] Found it. It isn't quite how I remembered it, but whatever.

There are no trumpets here.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

That was a great run, Prof.

As to the Fallen Human/Prof being, at the very least, antisocial, and at worst sociopathic, it makes a lot of sense considering what we know. I guess the real question is whether he came to love his new Monster Family and wanted them to be free, no matter the cost or was manipulating Asriel to try and fulfill some misguided need to strike back at humans.

Also, its subtle, but if you go back through the updates you will notice that Sans ALWAYS goes out through the wrong/opposite direction of where he claims to be going. Dude has a teleport spell somewhere.

e: One theory I've indeed seen claims that Napstablook was all that saved Frisk from dying, since he was the only (known) soul that didn't become part of ASRIEL.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PassingPie posted:

This is funnier than it has any right to be, especially his commentary. I don't know if it's a testament to how good of a composer he is or how formulaic the usual Touhou game is, but it's amazing that something he slapped together in five seconds sounds like it could have come from one of those games.

I know basically nothing about Touhou except bullet hell girls with funny hats and apparently Cirno is cool (:downsrim:) But I still thought that was a fun listen.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

I posted:

S-since... if we did... How would I ever know?
Well, I'll keep my tentacles out for you! Y'hear!
As soon as I know I'll be the first to tell you! Y'hear!!

Added a missing screencap.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What is it with that onion anyway.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

What is it with that onion anyway.

It's an Undyne chase fakeout. You walk upward toward the obviously long bridge, and a HUGE tentacle pops out. Turns out, it's just OnyanSan, who is here to say hi and chat. :3:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Conot posted:

One theory I've indeed seen claims that Napstablook was all that saved Frisk from dying, since he was the only (known) soul that didn't become part of ASRIEL.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

So, Prof, if you have two playthroughs to go...

...oh, dear. It can only get worse from here, can't it? :ohdear:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Hah, his "hands" are tears that hes controlling.

Pangurban posted:

Without getting spoilery: :unsmigghh:

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Pangurban posted:

No, you fool! The spoiler posts! THEY COME

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Pangurban posted:

Allow me to answer your question with a question:

What better could it possibly get?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

death .cab for qt posted:

It's an Undyne chase fakeout. You walk upward toward the obviously long bridge, and a HUGE tentacle pops out. Turns out, it's just OnyanSan, who is here to say hi and chat. :3:
Weren't a couple of the NPCs/enemies designed by Kickstarter backers? Or do I have that confused with some other game? Whenever I ran into something like Onion-san, I assumed that's what I was looking at.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Weren't a couple of the NPCs/enemies designed by Kickstarter backers? Or do I have that confused with some other game? Whenever I ran into something like Onion-san, I assumed that's what I was looking at.

Yes. Most of them are brought up in the Credits. Muffet, surprisingly, is also one.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Rangpur posted:

Only two enemies were designed as Kickstarter rewards - So Sorry and one I don't think we've seen yet. The only other non-Toby-designed NPC was Muffet, who was designed by Gigi (the artist behind Cucumber Quest) since I think Toby knows her personally. Everything else was Toby, including Onion-San.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Conot posted:

Without getting spoilery: :unsmigghh:

Yes! I don't really know what to expect, but I take pleasure in this thread's suffering. Let this 'genocide run' commence! :getin:

• Locked thread