Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
At my last casual daily fantasy sports gambling GAME OF SKILL job, we had an intern try to keep a spreadsheet of all the fantasy esports gambling sites that were popping up.

Easily had >250 by the time he left, but 3 months later more than 70% of them were gone.

I personally broke them down into two categories. Most of them are really obviously bad, just a tiny bit of code hanging on to the back of a massive wordpress installation to seem legitimate. The more money they spent on their designer, the more likely it is they're a "startup" fishing for investors. This is an unrealistic thing to do, but there are still plenty of very dumb investors out there. The latter were actually functioning gambling sites, if you were willing to trust them.

Virtually nobody does this, as skins are far too convenient for the industry. The legal landscape you have to navigate to deal with real money in the US is a state-by-state battle to the point that hosting/mail/etc services will terminate your contract once they decide you're breaching it. There's also the unspoken side of eliminating the massive <18yo customer base.

The long and short of it is that you aren't too late if you are willing to come up with original and innovative "GAMES OF SKILL" for people to wager on. What valve is doing with the in-client fantasy stuff is IMHO the best you're gonna get. If you're just trying to provide another outlet for the spreadsheet nerds to field literal thousands of bets each, FanDuel/DraftKings will literally bury you with ads.

In a dream world, I would absolutely love to build volvo a ~bespoke mobile experience~ to further enable their fantasy agenda. I guess I'll send them my resume

It's getting easier all the time, check out this ESL/SportsRadar partnership

Feel free to message me on steam if you have any other questions!

Edit: get flicked on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rond posted:

There's even some free betting on Vulcun with a "fake" currency that you get everyday when logging in.

I've done mostly the free entry things and I'm up to like 1.50 earned! I did bet 25 cents on one but I placed first :smug:

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
What are people's thoughts on "Chargers Only" competitive mode? It was the competitive mode used in Europe from the release of CS until the end of 2001 at which point the max rounds(15 rounds on each side) system became the new mode.

Basically, the system was you get 20 minutes on each side and only your T side wins count.
Some interesting things to note: It seems to favor execution speed as you could potentially get more attempts in. There is no eco on T side as you would just rush in and presumably die to try to get to the next attempt quickly. Bomb plant would stop the timer so CTs can't hide or wait to defuse at the last second to try and waste time.

Anyway, it seems interesting and I might look into whether it's possible to emulate with a plugin/SM/etc

Thorin video that explains it more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeOJR6tZHQY

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Photex posted:

Listen I love KennyS and the baguettes but I've also lost a shitload on Titan/Envy in the past.
Your first mistake was betting on Titan at all. :smug:

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Suran37 posted:

What are people's thoughts on "Chargers Only" competitive mode? It was the competitive mode used in Europe from the release of CS until the end of 2001 at which point the max rounds(15 rounds on each side) system became the new mode.

Basically, the system was you get 20 minutes on each side and only your T side wins count.
Some interesting things to note: It seems to favor execution speed as you could potentially get more attempts in. There is no eco on T side as you would just rush in and presumably die to try to get to the next attempt quickly. Bomb plant would stop the timer so CTs can't hide or wait to defuse at the last second to try and waste time.

Anyway, it seems interesting and I might look into whether it's possible to emulate with a plugin/SM/etc

Seems like more fun than this bullshit. I want it as an optional thing to queue for in comp

Rond
Mar 2, 2015
Chargers seems fun, but I don't know if that would work.. The community really likes the 15 rounds on each side playstyle.

It's pretty easy for newcomers or people that don't follow the game to understand how it's played and all that stuff.

But Chargers could be the "fun" part during a competition like the IEM.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Chargers never had to deal with OP smoke walls and cramped rear end maps. Wouldn't be good for GO.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Rond posted:

Chargers seems fun, but I don't know if that would work.. The community really likes the 15 rounds on each side playstyle.

It's pretty easy for newcomers or people that don't follow the game to understand how it's played and all that stuff.

But Chargers could be the "fun" part during a competition like the IEM.
They only like it because those fucks are used to it

mcvey posted:

Chargers never had to deal with OP smoke walls and cramped rear end maps. Wouldn't be good for GO.

All this says is you have to use grenades well to be good at Chargers

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Once again North American CS ruins CS

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
back in my day each side was only to 12 rounds

color me surprised when the first time i played GO MM i bought out on round 12 only to realize we werent swapping sides

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Suran37 posted:

It wasn't that good even back then. Trying to win rounds as fast as possible just means T's will try to make as many yolo rushes possible while CTs will be buying 5x smoke 5x molly each round and playing super passively.

It's just not very interesting CS, most of the strategic depth in CS comes from the information gathering phase (first minute or so) of a normal competetive round.

Smol fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 26, 2015

Rond
Mar 2, 2015

Kumbamontu posted:

back in my day each side was only to 12 rounds

color me surprised when the first time i played GO MM i bought out on round 12 only to realize we werent swapping sides

Ah, I remember when people started to get used to play 15 rounds, and you had those guy on IRC joining your server and telling you to put 12 max rounds or they leave.

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.
Not to mention people have been trying to get valve to improve the normal competitive timers since the beginning of matchmaking, so the chances that they will implement another random game mode on the whims of thorin are between slim and zero.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Smol posted:

It wasn't that good even back then. Trying to win rounds as fast as possible just means T's will try to make as many yolo rushes possible while CTs will be buying 5x smoke 5x molly each round and playing super passively.

I want to see Na'Vi doing this model.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Anyone tried some of the new 144Hz 2560x1440 IPS panels like the Acer XB270HU? Thinking of switching from dual 24" 1920x1080 setup (one 60Hz IPS, one 144Hz TN) to a single 2560x1440 144Hz IPS one, as long as I can find one that isn't terrible.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Any anyone suggest a community map that emphasizes hitting moving targets? My sprays have been getting a lot better but I suffer a lot of I'm using a rifle against a pistol or an SMG at short/medium range.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

fennesz posted:

Any anyone suggest a community map that emphasizes hitting moving targets? My sprays have been getting a lot better but I suffer a lot of I'm using a rifle against a pistol or an SMG at short/medium range.

Ugh one of the worst things is a guy kind of getting the drop on you with a tec9/5-7 while you have a rifle and you just can't get him quick enough before he 1-2 taps your head.

Alternatively it's great doing that to someone else while you're on an eco round and you pick up and AK/m4

*edit* heck it can happen even if they don't catch you off-guard, I've come around corners blazing with both pistols and wrecked people.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 26, 2015

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

MF_James posted:

Alternatively it's great doing that to someone else while you're on an eco round and you pick up and AK/m4

I love getting boosted to Cat with a p250, crouching right at the corner, and waiting for someone to come running by.

Free AK!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Smol posted:

Anyone tried some of the new 144Hz 2560x1440 IPS panels like the Acer XB270HU? Thinking of switching from dual 24" 1920x1080 setup (one 60Hz IPS, one 144Hz TN) to a single 2560x1440 144Hz IPS one, as long as I can find one that isn't terrible.
I considered getting one, but there are a lot of negative reviews about these panels coming with significant defects (multiple dead pixels, horrible IPS glow, etc) and people having to get multiple replacements before they got a panel which was acceptable. Overall I got the impression that if you order one you might be okay, but there's also a significant chance you won't be and will have to play monitor roulette. If you don't mind taking that risk then you will probably end up with a great monitor (and people give it 5 stars when they get a good one), else you should probably wait until the technology has matured a bit.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

qhat posted:

I considered getting one, but there are a lot of negative reviews about these panels coming with significant defects (multiple dead pixels, horrible IPS glow, etc) and people having to get multiple replacements before they got a panel which was acceptable. Overall I got the impression that if you order one you might be okay, but there's also a significant chance you won't be and will have to play monitor roulette. If you don't mind taking that risk then you will probably end up with a great monitor (and people give it 5 stars when they get a good one), else you should probably wait until the technology has matured a bit.

Is quality control in the gaming peripheral space just not a thing? I've always bought pro-level LCD's either from Dell or Apple and they're consistently flawless out of the box as that's part of what you're paying for. People getting displays with multiple dead pixels and requiring multiple returns to find one that's acceptable just seems insane.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

the benqs are actually good, they suffer from razer marketing syndrome where since it's so GAMING ORIENTED people assume it's dumb garbage to be sold to idiots, but actually, they are probably your best bet for 200-300 bucks

Rond
Mar 2, 2015
BenQ and Asus are decent brand for monitors.

Got 2 BenQ and never had any problem with them.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rond posted:

BenQ and Asus are decent brand for monitors.

Got 2 BenQ and never had any problem with them.

For what it's worth, Asus also sell a 144hz IPS but it suffers the same problems because the panel is the exact same as the Acer.

Rond
Mar 2, 2015

qhat posted:

For what it's worth, Asus also sell a 144hz IPS but it suffers the same problems because the panel is the exact same as the Acer.

Interesting, I didn't know.

So Benq > the rest then.. then IPS Gaming panel are pretty new, so that might explain the flaws they have.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
I got a 144hz benq and its real good and not very expensive. But I think they're marketed to games because it has kind of bad dark colours for when I watch movies. But I don't care about that!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Has anyone managed to get 4:3 stretched while on dual monitors? I have my laptop plugged into my TV and it really, really doesn't like it.

MF_James posted:

Ugh one of the worst things is a guy kind of getting the drop on you with a tec9/5-7 while you have a rifle and you just can't get him quick enough before he 1-2 taps your head.

*edit* heck it can happen even if they don't catch you off-guard, I've come around corners blazing with both pistols and wrecked people.

Yeah. Aimbotz has a mode that puts targets on the move but instead of encouraging organic aiming at moving targets it just trains you to put your crosshair in the center of the loop to wait for it to come back.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I'm trying to dump out some duplicate cheapo skins I got from opening lovely cases because I am a lovely person. Is there a Chrome extension that's safe that will let me just select a bunch of stuff and sell on market for $0.05 less than the current lowest bid?

Or should I just do that dumb weapon contract and/or bet it all on underdogs on CSGL?

Audax fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 26, 2015

Rond
Mar 2, 2015

fennesz posted:

Has anyone managed to get 4:3 stretched while on dual monitors? I have my laptop plugged into my TV and it really, really doesn't like it.

I'm on dual monitors, got no problem to get 4:3 stretched.

The problem is probably your TV not accepting the 4:3, did you configure the GPU drivers to make the game stretched ? If yes, then you should check if there's a display mode or something else on your tv.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

It was on faceit though?

Is faceit still a piece of poo poo in the U.S.?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah... yeah...

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Michael Scott posted:

servers are good, its free, and you don't need a rootkit. I really don't mind faceit.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

qhat posted:

Interesting. I just noticed that Asus released a new ROG-branded G-SYNC model that has a different AU Optronics panel compared to the Acer and the earlier Asus. But if the review (tft central) is to be believed, its performance is comparable to the previous models. Anyhow, I've worked with IPS monitors for a long time, so I don't expect to find one without any IPS glow. Hard to say how other people's "horrible IPS glow" compares to mine though. Dead pixels though, ugh.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Michael Scott posted:

loving what dude?? Ugh.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

East coast i felt I had way better performance on the CEVO servers compared to faceit but ymmv

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Rond posted:

I'm on dual monitors, got no problem to get 4:3 stretched.

The problem is probably your TV not accepting the 4:3, did you configure the GPU drivers to make the game stretched ? If yes, then you should check if there's a display mode or something else on your tv.

I looked but nothing on my Nvidia Control Panel seemed to affect the resolution of CS while it's running. It wouldn't be such a problem but the right channel in my laptop is hosed up so without speakers everything sounds like it's on my left. Not a huge deal, I just wish I didn't have to reconfigure each time I forget.

Poor people problems, man :banjo:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I'm blazing on to glory
There's thunder in my veins
And nothing stands before me
Forever I'll remain

Hard as iron
Sharp as steel
Stop for no man
You better beg and kneel

As I destroy, last thing you'll hear me cry, is victory, is victoooooooorrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_fJ5SSV_Vo

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
who is hype for cluj napoca

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

It's my first major so I'm kind of interested to see what it's all about.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

nftyw posted:

who is hype for cluj napoca

i won't be able to watch any of the matches so... no. plus fnatic is going to win, so no biggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Look at this guy not anticipating the incoming French victory. Envy ME and my loving internet badges.

At least he's not rooting for NiP like a certain hero clicking loving neckbeard I know.

• Locked thread