Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.

redreader posted:

Did anyone else already mention that after saving the goth girl (alyssa?) a bunch of times, she refuses to be helped by you later on because 'every time I see you something flies at my head', or whatever?

There's a plank you have to grab so she can walk over to where Max is. Even though I didn't bother helping her before (I'm a bad person) that didn't seem to affect anything as I still saved her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Axelgear posted:

Given all the content of the other episodes, and how weirdly disconnected Ep 5's overall path felt, I'd apply Hanlon's razor; they might simply have had no idea how to end it, which feels understandable. The whole grand arc wove together both Max's reconnecting with her old friend AND the detective story/stories of Rachel Amber and Max's weird time powers. The final episode causes the connection between these to come unwoven, though, and then tries to forcibly stitch them back together with the final decision. It comes off as a clumsy attempt to fix a break in the narrative, rather than an attempt at any particular message.

That's my two cents, anyhow. I think I can appreciate it, too; this sort of narrative twist is hard to rejigger and I can appreciate that deadlines might gently caress things up.

Charitably, they may have run out of time and money to do the ending justice. But that sort of assumes that they didn't have at least a decent plot outline before starting this project. Which, if so, is an incredibly amateur hour mistake to make. I mean, episodes 1-4 had their minor flaws and quibbles, but they kept the plot moving along and full of a variety of engaging, believable characters. The hints and plot hooks were interesting but not too heavy handed. The shifting gears in the last episode are just mind-boggling to me. Again and again I come back to the feeling that, like, whichever writer was the genius behind the start of the story suddenly quit/died/got rewound out of existence by a time wizard, and some talentless hacks took over to bang together an ending at the last minute.

For one example, the moments throughout the game where you're given an option to 'sit', and Max will just chill and have a little internal monologue while some pensive music plays. I thought these were really well done in the previous episodes. The one in alt-Chloe's barren upstairs room, for example, was brilliant. So understated, and yet incredibly powerful at really driving home everything you need to know about this timeline you've created. But then in episode 5, we get one scene in the diner, where you chill with Pompidou (if you didn't let him get shot, you monster) and which would be nice, except for the giant loving tornado heading towards you. I mean, people are dying in the street, you should be running for your life, and instead you're just like 'I'm gonna chill with this dog and wax poetic about life'. That, to me, says that the person who wrote this scene is either not the same person who had their hand in the Chloe's-barren-bedroom scene, or that that person suffered irreparable brain damage between then and now. You can't generate the same 'pause and reflect on life' moment when there is a spinning vortex of death headed right towards you.

And then the other scene is in the nightmare, where there's a chunk of the junkyard hideout building thing in the midst of the bizarre flashlight stealth sequence. Again, it seems totally out of place. Max is apparently having a complete mental break at this point, inventing monsters in her head that have all the worst real or imagined aspects of people she knows, but never mind that, just gonna kick back on this chair for a bit and relax. The previous episodes seemed so good about managing the mood of the scenes, going from mysterious, to threatening, to humorous, to dangerous, to whatever. And then this one is just 'gently caress it, put it all in a blender, hit frappe and pour whatever comes out in a box and ship it'.

edit: spelling

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 26, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I agree, but you can chill at the art museum too and that one was pretty nice.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Again and again I come back to the feeling that, like, whichever writer was the genius behind the start of the story suddenly quit/died/got rewound out of existence by a time wizard, and some talentless hacks took over to bang together an ending at the last minute.

I wondered that, myself, but I've been unable to find an episode-by-episode writer credit as of yet. I had this same feeling with Telltale's Walking Dead Season 2, though, in regards to episodes 3 and 4, and it was correct there; two writers who'd not done any of the previous episodes or season and everything felt so horridly out of place and forced.

That might be the case here, but I doubt it, given the unused content files left in the game and the generally disjointed feeling of the episode; it doesn't feel like one person flubbing up an arc but an arc that gets aborted followed by an attempt at two other arcs.

BobTheJanitor posted:

And then the other scene is in the nightmare, where there's a chunk of the junkyard hideout building thing in the midst of the bizarre flashlight stealth sequence. Again, it seems totally out of place. Max is apparently having a complete mental break at this point, inventing monsters in her head that have all the worst real or imagined aspects of people she knows, but never mind that, just gonna kick back on this chair for a bit and relax. The previous episodes seemed so good about managing the mood of the scenes, going from mysterious, to threatening, to humorous, to dangerous, to whatever. And then this one is just 'gently caress it, put it all in a blender, hit frappe and pour whatever comes out in a box and ship it'.

Am I the only one who saw the seat by the lighthouse, thought that was just another "sit and think" situation, and missed a chance to get the bottle photo as a result?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Axelgear posted:

Am I the only one who saw the seat by the lighthouse, thought that was just another "sit and think" situation, and missed a chance to get the bottle photo as a result?

Nope, I did exactly the same thing. Silly game can't even remember its own player training. Sit to pause and think with no repercussions for all of these episodes, but then this particular seat moves the plot forward with no warning.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They did have an American editor/writer that looked over everything, maybe he wasn't as involved for Episode 5?

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I just finished this.

there's only one choice that makes a difference, and the whole thing is just and engine to make you feel really really sad.

Terrible game. I feel really bad :(

I play games for fun goddammit.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Something that still throws me is - if Nathan Prescott killed Rachel Amber - is Chloe the first person Jefferson has killed?

He seems remarkably at ease about that and about killing Max, considering his goal was just to take photos of unconscious girls. (And the game confirms he didn't go any further...)

(Also why are spoiler tags so hard to do on phone?!)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Something that still throws me is - if Nathan Prescott killed Rachel Amber - is Chloe the first person Jefferson has killed?

He seems remarkably at ease about that and about killing Max, considering his goal was just to take photos of unconscious girls. (And the game confirms he didn't go any further...)

(Also why are spoiler tags so hard to do on phone?!)

It isn't clear. Jefferson seems relatively at ease with murdering Chloe, Nathan, Victoria, and presumably Max. We don't see him freaking out, but then he already seems to have figured out that he can pin everything on Nathan and not have to deal with nosy detectives looking at him for the murder. On the other hand, he's clearly upset with Nathan for killing Rachel and having to clean up after him. I get the impression he would rather not murder and have the police involved, and doping up his victims so they don't remember what happened is his preferred MO. But he may well have killed before, either at Blackwell or in Seattle.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
While the ending went completely up its own butt, I really liked the voice message that Nathan left you on your phone. That was some nice bit of writing. The last nice bit of writing.

You really should be able to tell Alt Max to gently caress off. You first use your powers to save someone's life and almost every use after that is in the aid of finding a missing girl, helping a suicidal teen, saving a girls father, escaping death or stopping a girl from having a lovely day. But yes I did use it once to take a photo of a squirrel. I am the true monster.

Fans fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 26, 2015

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
My main problem with both endings is that they're basically just this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6V0FLIxaao.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I opened a text document to really dive into the implications of the ending, and the more I think about it the more I dislike it. The ending is incredibly hosed up, it really does go beyond the fact that your choices don't matter, even if that's the obvious consequence.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

I opened a text document to really dive into the implications of the ending, and the more I think about it the more I dislike it. The ending is incredibly hosed up, it really does go beyond the fact that your choices don't matter, even if that's the obvious consequence.

Something about the ending really does seem to encourage endless over-analyzing, but not really of the good kind. God knows I've spilled enough text all over the thread about it. It's just hard to drop it, somehow.

Like, I was kind of disappointed after finishing and thought that I would just forget it and move on, but I keep thinking back on it and getting ticked off all over again. So all the wall-of-text diatribes are some sort of vague attempt to exorcise the demons.

An entirely bad story is easily forgettable, and a good story is satisfying enough that you can put it down when you're done and be content. But an almost good story that faceplants at the finish line is the worst. All build up, no release. It's opening your presents and getting a box of gravel. What do you do with all the leftover anticipation? In my case, I guess you funnel it into endless nerdy posts about the game. :v:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

BobTheJanitor posted:

What do you do with all the leftover anticipation?

Fanfiction. :v:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Plom Bar posted:

Fanfiction. :v:

Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

BobTheJanitor posted:

Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?

I've been registered on this god damned web site for over 11 years and you for a year longer. Any sense of decency either of us might have had perished alongside John Kerry's presidential campaign.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BobTheJanitor posted:

Something about the ending really does seem to encourage endless over-analyzing, but not really of the good kind. God knows I've spilled enough text all over the thread about it. It's just hard to drop it, somehow.

Like, I was kind of disappointed after finishing and thought that I would just forget it and move on, but I keep thinking back on it and getting ticked off all over again. So all the wall-of-text diatribes are some sort of vague attempt to exorcise the demons.

An entirely bad story is easily forgettable, and a good story is satisfying enough that you can put it down when you're done and be content. But an almost good story that faceplants at the finish line is the worst. All build up, no release. It's opening your presents and getting a box of gravel. What do you do with all the leftover anticipation? In my case, I guess you funnel it into endless nerdy posts about the game. :v:

Apparently, in my case it's about 600 words in a word document, going into too much detail about how much the ending treats Max and Chloe like poo poo.

There's a subsection dedicated to a more positive take, and the whole text vomit is basically bullshit, but it's there and I'm probably going to keep tweaking it.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

BobTheJanitor posted:

That kind of over-analysis is pretty common in this situation. I hold that it's your brain trying to rationalize an emotional reaction; because the story was making you feel Good, most of the way, and then not only was the ending Bad but it was Bad in such a way that all the stuff you enjoyed gets retroactively diminished by it. It's a bigger swing in quality then if the game had just smash cut to black at some point in the second half of ch5 because at least that wouldn't have changed how you felt about things before it, and it's easy to fixate on that kind of quality drop.

I am aware this is a tired and well-worn comparison but this is exactly how the ME3 ending broke a whole bunch of minds back in the day in almost exactly the same fashion for almost exactly the same reasons.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Plom Bar posted:

I've been registered on this god damned web site for over 11 years and you for a year longer. Any sense of decency either of us might have had perished alongside John Kerry's presidential campaign.

Sorry, just quoting something from the McCarthy hearings out of context, because apparently I like incredibly obscure humor that isn't amusing in the first place. I freely admit to having lost all decency long ago.

And to be fair, I actually did shamefully skim a bit of a fanfic of a post-ending sequence intended to provide some closure. But I gave up without reading much, because that's a bit nerdy even for me, and hearing some random internet person's imagined resolution really didn't provide any sense of closure. It's more just poking the wound at that point.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah, I usually don't get real disappointed with games, for example I played through Mass Effect 1 and 2 some time before 3 came out, so I was looking forward to it, but when I heard it was a mess I was just like "Oh well" and moved on and didn't buy it. But Life is Strange really let me down because it was really good up until Episode 5, it was unique and nicely written with characters and story that got me invested in it. I'm one of those loser nerds that actually enjoy a game that's well-written, especially if they can tie it in with the gameplay. So I really loved the game up until they screwed the pooch at the very end and I honestly felt like I got trolled. I know its a bit silly, but I still felt a bit betrayed, that I thought DONTNOD knew what they were doing, (And there was enough quality to think that) when it turns out they kind of didn't.

I think the biggest problem with Episode 5 is DONTNOD stopped respecting their characters and just forced them into cheap drama and wallowed in angst just to try and look deep. Just look at Nathan and Victoria, they were both built up as deeply troubled kids and the game made them sympathetic and in the case of Victoria had them start to change for the better but neither of them get any resolution for their arcs in either ending. Hell the reward for Victoria rejecting her pettiness and envy is several hours of terror before getting unceremoniously murdered. It feels cheap as hell to have players get invested into their characters and just throw it all away like that.

At least Undertale ended up being pretty much what I wanted when it came to characters and player empathy.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 26, 2015

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, I usually don't get real disappointed with games, for example I played through Mass Effect 1 and 2 some time before 3 came out, so I was looking forward to it, but when I heard it was a mess I was just like "Oh well" and moved on and didn't buy it. But Life is Strange really let me down because it was really good up until Episode 5, it was unique and nicely written with characters and story that got me invested in it. I'm one of those loser nerds that actually enjoy a game that's well-written, especially if they can tie it in with the gameplay. So I really loved the game up until they screwed the pooch at the very end and I honestly felt like I got trolled. I know its a bit silly, but I still felt a bit betrayed, that I thought DONTNOD knew what they were doing, (And there was enough quality to think that) when it turns out they kind of didn't.

I think the biggest problem with Episode 5 is DONTNOD stopped respecting their characters and just forced them into cheap drama and wallowed in angst just to try and look deep. Just look at Nathan and Victoria, they were both built up as deeply troubled kids and the game made them sympathetic and in the case of Victoria had them start to change for the better but neither of them get any resolution for their arcs in either ending. Hell the reward for Victoria rejecting her pettiness and envy is several hours of terror before getting unceremoniously murdered. It feels cheap as hell to have players get invested into their characters and just throw it all away like that.

At least Undertale ended up being pretty much what I wanted when it come to characters and player empathy.

I think that there was a sudden, dramatic shift in DONTNOD's plans for the game's story at some point either during episode 4's development or in the very early stages of episode 5's. There's just such a dramatic shift in tone and writing quality that I can't imagine a scenario where this was planned from the beginning.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

This is all an elaborate plot, next they launch the kickstarter for the true ending and then they're set for life.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Are you guys really mad about SOMA too?

Indrazar
Sep 19, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

This is all an elaborate plot, next they launch the kickstarter for the true ending and then they're set for life.

Is it bad that I would pay for this?

Maybe the price of one episode at most

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Episode 6: Oops

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Episode 6 would play out like Alan Wake: American Nightmare and have absolutely nothing to do with the main game's plot and pretty much just be Chloe/Max lesbian roadtripping through the American Midwest.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Indrazar posted:

Is it bad that I would pay for this?

Maybe the price of one episode at most

No, I would probably pay more than it was worth for this. Hell, if they had some reason to explain the dip in quality and what they had done to fix that problem, I would probably pay a silly amount of money for it.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Episode 6 would play out like Alan Wake: American Nightmare and have absolutely nothing to do with the main game's plot and pretty much just be Chloe/Max lesbian roadtripping through the American Midwest.

And an incredibly embarrassing amount of money for this.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
In the interest of being nice, I do think there are clever bits about the ending:

Chloe feels abandoned by her father and best friend. Max decides not to contact her out of shame. She delays action until the last moment, where the consequences (Chloe being rightfully pissed) are at their worst. The Everyday Heroes contest is a celebration of the small ways regular people can make a difference. Max decides not to enter out of shame (the everyday hero in her picture is herselfie). Chloe, a young woman with no one to care for her in the way she needs is set on a self-destructive path. Her ~fate~ is sealed the moment she decides to blackmail Nathan and run away. This could've been prevented by an everyday hero, but it wasn't. Max can only helplessly watch the consequences of her inaction. Her time magicscience allows her to see what she could've had. She could've had a great relationship with Chloe. She could've won the contest. But she was so afraid of the consequences, she avoided them completely. She only intervened at the eleventh hour, and now the consequences are at their most dire. Max is keen to watch others through the camera and through her snooping. But if she truly cared, if anyone truly cared, they'd do more than watch. Kate shouldn't have had to stand on the edge of a roof to get the support she needed. Victoria shouldn't have had to be humiliated to receive sympathy. Chloe shouldn't have had to die for Rachel's body to be found. We can ask "What if?" all we like, but if we never act, we leave the world to chance.

still fuckin wanted rachel to have to have magic modeling powers goddammit

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Episode 5 was really good, the ending worked emotionally and was thematically consistent with everything that went before.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

wyoming posted:

I never completed it, because I think it's boring to hide from robots over and over again and I'm also tired of contrived sea monsters.
I didn't like Amnesia that much either.
gently caress video games.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Episode 5 was really good, the ending worked emotionally and was thematically consistent with everything that went before.

Your avatar agrees.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I was talking to my grandparents about life and they were basically like "If god isn't real, then what's the point to living? We're all born, we all die. It's the choices and the intent that matter, not the end result. We all end up in the ground together no matter what anyone does, so the journey ends up being the most important thing, not the ending"

Life is.... Unfair.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

wyoming posted:

SOMA had a completely thematically consistent ending though, the only thing to mad over is how loving dumb Simon was at the end.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

BobTheJanitor posted:

I mean, people are dying in the street, you should be running for your life, and instead you're just like 'I'm gonna chill with this dog and wax poetic about life'.
I'd just drop that one in the bucket of "Life is Strange has weird ideas about pacing". Along with all the time I've spent hugging the corners of every environment looking for interactables. Max is a weird kid.

Though I did completely miss that 'Sit'-purtunity. I also managed to end the gallery scene way prematurely because I thought talking to the principal would end it rather than the photo.

Geektox posted:

One of the games of the year for me for sure. Also reading this thread made me realize apparently I'm the only person who still says "hella"
Having lived in Northern California for the last decade and change, I wouldn't have thought the usage of 'hella' was unusual if people on the internet hadn't made a thing about it.

YorexTheMad posted:

I understand where comparisons to ME3 come from--games with branching narratives that converge on a single exclusive decision at the end--but where that comparison fails for me is that the entirety of Life is Strange built towards its possible endings. Whichever choice Max picks at the lighthouse is a natural resolution to what her and the player experience; just about every major event and previous choice is building Max and the player to accept the consequences of their final decision. ME3's ending was mechanically similar but didn't narratively or thematically fit with the series at all, it just makes something happen so the story can end.
I agree with all this. ME3's ending disappointed me more than anything from any other media. I spent the following month an angry vengeful wreck. But that kind of reaction at least reinforces how powerful the game was at building a connection up to that point.

When I finished LiS I didn't have any of that sort of resentment. I knew it could've been something greater for me, but what we have is at least something consistent for the story.

Plom Bar posted:

I'm not angry anymore. I don't hate the last episode. The endings still evoke some unfortunate tropes that I wish could have been handled more gracefully, But I've been thinking about this game nonstop since completing it on Tuesday night, and a not-small percentage of that time has also been spent crying about it a whole lot. Under other circumstances, I'd chalk that one up to being a woman. The simple truth is that anything that manages to engage with me on such a profoundly emotional level is not something I can truly hate.

Speaking as a not-woman, this is one of very few games that I've cried with. Episode 4 in particular left me rekt not just during but for a long time after. My father died when I was around the same age as Chloe/Max in the game, and I remember at the time feeling that if there was a way I could be taken instead of him, I would do it. After playing that episode I found myself thinking back on the alt-Chloe scenes frequently and tearing up.

Episode 5 had some great moments as well, with David's "thank god she's just a stoner" and (optionally?) revealing to Chloe the truth about that alternate dimension.

Buzkashi posted:

My best friend and I are basically under the impression that the only people who are sacrificing Arcadia Bay are doing it out of irony or spite, because I think only a complete monster would honestly be like "Yes Chloe I'm totally okay with your mom dying horribly in a diner explosion so I can have you all to myself forever."

Keeping in mind the alternative is Joyce living on in a world where Chloe is super dead, I think that aspect is a bit of a wash.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sakurazuka posted:

SOMA had a completely thematically consistent ending though, the only thing to mad over is how loving dumb Simon was at the end.

As did Life is Strange, goons just seem to be angry at that theme.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wyoming posted:

As did Life is Strange, goons just seem to be angry at that theme.

Almost every single RPG/story-based game thread in Games has people doing all this masturbating in spoiler tags about what they want the ending to be and without fail they're super mad when they reach the end. It's happened in every single RPG thread. The people who post in this forum are permanently damaged and cannot handle playing an RPG without writing a fanfiction at the same time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Everyone else on this forum is terrible except me' is the dumbest goon gimmick yet. Everyone who paid $10 to post on a website is an idiot.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Having an ending you'd like for a piece of media you are enjoying: permanently damaged as a person

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I liked SOMA's end because it made sense and was aptly foreshadowed the first time you switch bodies. It made complete sense in the rules they established with how copies work.

I didn't like Life is Strange's ending because "Max you are the Tornado" is delivered to you by Warren based on seemingly gently caress all and there's no real reason for the Tornado to want to murder everyone in Arcadia Bay except "Well gently caress you I guess"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

SirSamVimes posted:

Having an ending you'd like for a piece of media you are enjoying: permanently damaged as a person

Being upset that the ending is different than what you expected or wanted is pretty dumb.
A story isn't something you solve, that's what the gameplay is.

• Locked thread