Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Morglon posted:

Look at you showing restraint and stopping just short of calling everybody in the thread cupcake.
That was a pretty common complaint though? Which is cool, I get that sometimes people want unchallenging content especially if you resent the level-grinding aspect of mmorpgs. Different people like different stuff etc.

Holyshoot posted:

Curious, how many of you people who hate the way tab targeting combat is have done high end raiding in WoW and FFXIV and SWTOR? I agree that at its base level tab targeting and hitting a rotation is boring as poo poo but when you combine that with the super hard fights that only "hardcore" players typically see it's pretty fun.

I have raided the hard stuff in both WoW and FFXIV and I enjoy them both assuming you kill the boss in a reasonable rate. Or at least that moment when the boss dies it was worth the challenge.

You want a more complex combat system but I think the more complex it becomes then the less complex the bosses have to become otherwise no one is killing any boss. What were the super "hardcore" raids like in Tera if they had any? Since everyone loves their combat system.
I prefer non tab-targeted stuff, but not because its necessarily more complex. On the contrary its because I find "point and press ability" stuff like tera/wildstar less fiddly than trying to click on one particular mob model you're meant to be focusing.

Tera is way more focused on 5 man stuff than raids, but the mechanics are all pretty standard. Hit the right damagemans buttons and don't stand places where there is stuff that makes you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Periodiko posted:

Making MMO's into bad action games is a bad idea IMO, aiming the center of your monitor at enemies to use your abilities versus tab targeting doesn't actually make the game more interesting or fun in my limited experience.

Tab targeting itself isn't 100% the problem, but it's a big part of the reason why MMORPGs don't feel like games to me. In other games, you'll have to aim to land your attacks. In MMORPGs, you typically get lock on targeting so you don't have to aim. The enemies lock on to you and throw out unavoidable attacks too, so you can't dodge or evade them. It turns every single encounter into a "let's see if your stats are good enough to deal with this foe" instead of "try and use what you've learnt to defeat this foe, but your stats matter too". Then the same philosophy bleeds over to other game mechanics as well. Instead of blocking and dodge rolling, you get a passive armor stat and maybe a shield spell of some kind. Instead of hitstuns with attacks, you get castable spells that you can add to your rotation. The enemy doesn't hitstun you either, so you don't really need to follow their actions at all, and you can just focus on your rotation.

You're right that removing tab targeting isn't enough to make a bad combat good. You actually have to make the combat good to, you know, make it good.

In games like Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls, it's possible to engage multiple enemies at once because you can keep most of them away from you by running and rolling around a lot. And sometimes you may end up at low health, but you can still clutch out a victory because your attacks have hitstuns, and you can therefore defeat foes as long as you don't make a mistake. But that's a problem for the vast majority of the MMORPG crowd. The idea of player ability being able to completely compensate for a weak character in an MMORPG is completely appalling to most people playing them. At least that's how my friends react to the idea.

And that's basically the reason why MMORPGs are never going to be fun to play until the market is sufficiently hosed and exhausted, and the current playerbase goes elsewhere or starts wanting new things. You can't have an MMORPG version of Dark Souls because you can actually finish Dark Souls with a level 1 character using the starter gear, and that's a big no-no with the current crowd

Holyshoot posted:

Curious, how many of you people who hate the way tab targeting combat is have done high end raiding in WoW and FFXIV and SWTOR? I agree that at its base level tab targeting and hitting a rotation is boring as poo poo but when you combine that with the super hard fights that only "hardcore" players typically see it's pretty fun.

Honestly, I don't hate WoW for having tab targeting. It worked for the game at the time. But that was 2004. Now it's 2015, and devs should try something else. MMORPGs have stuck to the same combat system that revolves around tab targeting and rotating through the same old recycled spells from WoW. "Charge" from WoW becomes "Sith Charge" and so on. Instead of iterating and trying out new systems, tab-targeting and moving through rotations have become synonymous with "MMORPG combat" and have thus poisoned the word "MMORPG" forever

It's funny but I can see how Blizzard's Titan project became Overwatch. Maybe they started reinventing the wheel with MMORPG combat at first, and ended up creating an MMORPG where you activate abilities but still aim and shoot like an action game. And maybe then they just scrapped the MMORPG aspect and made an action game.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 24, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Minorkos posted:

It's funny but I can see how Blizzard's Titan project became Overwatch. Maybe they started reinventing the wheel with MMORPG combat at first, and ended up creating an MMORPG where you activate abilities but still aim and shoot like an action game. And maybe then they just scrapped the MMORPG aspect and made an action game.

Because a f2p (i imagine) TF2 style shooter where you buy skins will make them far more money then a new mmo. The bigger the company the more about the money the game gets. Or they try to ride that line as close as they can.

quote:

You can't have an MMORPG version of Dark Souls because you can actually finish Dark Souls with a level 1 character using the starter gear, and that's a big no-no with the current crowd

How likely is that though? And doesn't that defeat the purpose of the RPG part where you get gear and enhance your characters power?

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 24, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

gently caress vertical progression. gently caress levels. gently caress the RPG in MMORPG.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Because a f2p (i imagine) TF2 style shooter where you buy skins will make them far more money then a new mmo. The bigger the company the more about the money the game gets. Or they try to ride that line as close as they can.

Yeah that's probably more likely, although I think if Blizzard actually made a good F2P MMORPG they'd make a lot of money just the same.

Holyshoot posted:

How likely is that though? And doesn't that defeat the purpose of the RPG part where you get gear and enhance your characters power?

Well, Dark Souls is an action RPG and it has a very, very different design philosophy from current MMORPGs. You obviously get stronger in that game and it's very important to do so to progress, but it's not mandatory. Some people go down to the catacombs as the first thing in Dark Souls 1. It's really difficult to pull off, but it's doable if you're willing to keep trying.

Thing is, if you think about it, there's no real reason why you shouldn't be able to do that in an MMORPG. The game wouldn't actually break if you could complete a level 30 dungeon as a level 1. We're just so used to thinking that stats are everything in MMORPGs that it just feels weird to suggest something like that. So what if you could do that? You'd still have a reason to progress. You would still be unlocking new abilities, becoming stronger and making enemies easier to defeat as you progress. You would never think "Okay I'm level 2 now, no need to ever play this game again because I can already defeat everything ~in theory~". If anything it would be even more reason to play, you'd be honing your own skills as well as your character's. It would make PvP a lot more interesting too. A level 30 vs a level 50 fight would turn from an obvious stomp to a fight where one is at a clear disadvantage, but not completely hosed. And a high level player would actually be sort of impressive to a lower level guy, because you know the guy is at least somewhat good at the game mechanically.

The difference between a level 1 and a level 100 in Dark Souls isn't actually that big though, so I do admit that they would have to sharpen up the leveling power curve if they actually did make a darksoulsian MMORPG.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 24, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minorkos posted:

Thing is, if you think about it, there's no real reason why you shouldn't be able to do that in an MMORPG.

Well, there sorta is. The reason why all MMORPGs are these really awkward tab-target push buttons and fire cooldowns affairs is because of technical reasons. Old MMOs simply could not do anything else. Having a central server operating with thousands of clients means you have to build a system that can tolerate massive latency. The only thing that worked was effectively making the game turn-based, with automatic turns that tick every few seconds whether you took a turn or not. That's why almost all RPGs are based on a particular global cooldown rate. That GCD is timed such that inherent latency gets mitigated. Yeah, you still have problems with lag when it gets even worse, but if there wasn't that GCD then lag would be noticable even in good conditions.

But that was the old days, the everquest to wow days. Now we have planetside 2. So it should in theory be possible to do a Dark Souls MMO, and I know I really want that and a ton of other people do too. But its just a question of when somebody puts in the time and does it, MMOs are insanely expensive. Planetside 2 is the only game I can think of which handles MMO levels of client connections while having an action-based gameplay. Even games like EVE online are still effectively turn-based.

You'd need Planetside 2's technology but with a game designed more like Dark Souls. Dragon's Dogma Online is only available in Japan right now but it seems like the closest we're gonna get for awhile.

Minorkos posted:

The difference between a level 1 and a level 100 in Dark Souls isn't actually that big though, so I do admit that they would have to sharpen up the leveling power curve if they actually did make a darksoulsian MMORPG.

The fact that levels don't matter as much as in most RPGs in Dark Souls is nice but is kinda secondary IMO to the great level design and the really solid feeling combat. And you do actually become pretty drat powerful by the end of the game compared to the beginning of the game.

That said, there are already MMOs that do away with the idea of strict level increases in power, Secret World for one has a really flat level system where you just gain skill options, and while bigger ships in EVE are obviously vastly more powerful, they're also limited in ways and vastly more expensive. Skills let you equip better parts, but its not a straight level = power thing. Its nice and I do wish we'd get away from level mechanics more and more, but its not really as much of a game changer as you might think. Its the core gameplay that really needs to improve to make MMOs fun.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 25, 2015

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Yeah I agree with all of that.

One thing I want to say is that I personally don't think it's necessary to have thousands of clients at a time. It's insane overkill in my opinion. You could put like 100-400 players in a world the size of Skyrim and it would still feel populated. And I don't think it would be a bad thing if the world did feel empty a lot of the time, that would just make player encounters in the wild more special.

ArmA mods are actually getting closer to making "MMORPGs" that are interesting to me by putting like a 100 players in a world and making them do whatever. DayZ is the most popular, but a lot of people missed the reason why people liked DayZ. No one played it for the zombies, they played it for the looting, exploration and PvP. Sadly big publishers didn't catch onto that fact and H1Z1 got made. And then they probably realized that no one likes zombies mid development and added the 175 player Battle Royale mode.

People have different tastes though, as someone pointed out earlier. I'm just frustrated because WoW was so successful that no dev or publisher wants to do anything else now. I'd like to see new stuff but the genre "MMORPG" has become more or less synonymous with "a game like WoW." I think devs are slowly catching onto the idea that selling a repackaged WoW won't work anymore, though

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 25, 2015

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I downloaded this because a mate told me there was hoverboard races. But he's pissed off for work.
I know where the races are. How the gently caress do I get a hoverboard? Why is the gently caress is everything so unhelpful.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Croccers posted:

I downloaded this because a mate told me there was hoverboard races. But he's pissed off for work.
I know where the races are. How the gently caress do I get a hoverboard? Why is the gently caress is everything so unhelpful.

you get a hoverboard at like lv13 i think

the races are quests given out by a dude in the capital city

today might be the last day of the hoverboard event though, im not sure. it was way too short.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Minorkos, big money mmos are incredibly fine tuned psychological manipulation devices that have been tested, targeted and retested by substantial teams of PhDs and marketers. The reason mmos look and play alike is because the formula has been solved. Companies know exactly the right combination of risk/reward and effort to maximize their profits. This is also the reason the iOS store is a quagmire of manipulative toilet trash. The only thing that determines the success of an mmo is execution on the formula and marketing.

MMOs are loving dead, dude

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

hit button posted:

Minorkos I agree your post was terrible, mainly because it falls into the common trap of assuming there is some platonic ideal form of mmorpg, instead of just understanding the pretty basic concept that different people like different stuff.

I mean you're saying you want Dark Souls as an MMO which is cool, and personally I agree with a lot of your personal taste, but its in the same thread where you had a bunch of people bitching because the levelling content in wildstar actually meant looking at the screen and occasionally reacting to poo poo.

I dunno i'd argue on the core part of what makes an MMO an MMO (the social aspect and why you keep playing rather than what you are doing) there is an ideal, just the thing you do isn't always important to that.

Wait poo poo no Umm, you're bad for liking something or other that we are all supposed to hate.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Minorkos posted:

it's really frustrating because i like RPGs, and i love multiplayer games and i love open worlds. i can have a good multiplayer rpg, or i can have a good open world rpg, but i can't have all 3 because then it's a loving lovely mmorpg and it's no longer playable by anyone except the mentally ill. but anyway, i'm guessing mmorpgs are bad because various executives and devs don't like taking risks and will rather just copy something that worked really well 10 years ago, and also because people will play also play these games at least for a while

mmorpgs need to ditch the "massively" part and hone in on the diablo/d&d parts of the genre that people like: customizing their characters, doing poo poo with friends, upgrading their character, and using fun abilities.

People like playing D&D and fondly remember how the cleric they made was a warrior of the light hellbent on smiting every zombie because one ate his parents, and his friend todd made a cleric in their next campaign was a friendly, fat, friar in a robe taken in by a monastery as a small orphan child and only used his powers to heal the wounded and sick. Whereas if you play a priest in WoW you're just a priest. You have smite, and you have heal, and you have various things with little theme or consistency like spreading a flesh eating virus and cleansing illnesses. And you kill every living thing throughout the land for gold because you're a genocidal maniac that never speaks.

People like playing Diablo and they fondly remember the first time they tried out a hammerdin and watched little hammers spin to win their way through the first three difficulty levels or letting the game play itself with a necromancer and his undead armies, or the first time they got Enigma armor and started blinking through the world like a mad man. Nobody remembers the time the Mace of Unholy Binding dropped in black temple unless steve needed it and won it over you after joining the raid group two weeks ago, only to disappear with the loot and stop showing up ever again gently caress you steve.

instead you get experiences exactly like what you outlined: i downloaded wildstar last week to take a peek at the game out of a desire to try the pvp. after generating my cupcake-cutter character I am given an action bar I can't even customize as everything is locked, and am sent to gently caress off in the world mashing 1 as fast as i can to use my only attack. i lasted to level 4 with constant random fps drops from this gigantic expansive world full of nothing before I rolled my eyes, said gently caress it, and bought Vermintide instead.

like, uh, skyrim's kind of a bad game but it would've been really cool as just Skyrim with multiplayer servers instead of Elder Scrolls Online, I think. this holds true for a lot of other mmos. unsurprisingly ffxiv, mmo hmo's savior to mmorpgs, is probably the closest to delivering a multiplayer rpg experience, and even then it drops the ball a ton with a mostly boring or non-existent story from 1-50, very slow skill progression, etc. it is a sad state of affairs.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Periodiko posted:

Making MMO's into bad action games is a bad idea IMO, aiming the center of your monitor at enemies to use your abilities versus tab targeting doesn't actually make the game more interesting or fun in my limited experience.

I mean, there is room for whatever gameplay model you want for combat etc, the other points minorkos makes are all valid and are probably what's stopping a "good mmorpg" from happening, because they are all things WoW did/does, even as it leeches millions of customers. I loving loved pvp in wow for most of the wotlk era where combat was fast paced and winning came down to strategic positioning, use of your few cooldowns, and coordinating cc with teammates. I and an unfortunate game developer may have both been very loving wrong in thinking that model was worth adapting its own game. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with auto-targeting the way WoW et al does it, but if the future of mmos desires a game more like a shooter, well drat that's okay. I'd prefer a faster paced Divinity myself.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I play mmos for the content where I get to kill a really hard boss with 7-19 other people. A diablo game won't fill that void. Marvel heroes try to do it with raids but from the SA thread it seems like it's quite awful and even the developer says it's bad.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

a diablo style game could certainly fill that void, since you can stretch that as much as you want until it applies to (mmo of choice). all I mean by that is the flex of ability/talent/skill/etc choice and the way the surprise of loot is constantly provided, instead of giving you 1 random item a week to make you keep paying a subscription fee

diablo 3 certainly wouldn't, no, but it doesn't need to do anything other than what it does for now, because diablo 3 on its own is pretty fun.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Minrad posted:

a diablo style game could certainly fill that void, since you can stretch that as much as you want until it applies to (mmo of choice). all I mean by that is the flex of ability/talent/skill/etc choice and the way the surprise of loot is constantly provided, instead of giving you 1 random item a week to make you keep paying a subscription fee

diablo 3 certainly wouldn't, no, but it doesn't need to do anything other than what it does for now, because diablo 3 on its own is pretty fun.

You can't balance interesting and challenging fights around gear that has random stats though. And I personally don't want an mmo in my arpg because that means less diablo 3 fun because of said balance you'd have to do for end game fights. Diablo 3 is fun until you're all geared out and the only thing left to do is grind paragon points or fish for high grifts that are not interesting to do.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

You can't balance interesting and challenging fights around gear that has random stats though.

and yet, somehow, wow is managing to do just that as they desperately pull aspects of diablo 3 into wow

then again it's also dying so

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

hit button posted:

Minorkos I agree your post was terrible, mainly because it falls into the common trap of assuming there is some platonic ideal form of mmorpg, instead of just understanding the pretty basic concept that different people like different stuff.

I mean you're saying you want Dark Souls as an MMO which is cool, and personally I agree with a lot of your personal taste, but its in the same thread where you had a bunch of people bitching because the levelling content in wildstar actually meant looking at the screen and occasionally reacting to poo poo.

Actually you could be brain dead for most of it. Leveling was boring as all hell because every monster had four times the health it should have.

The only things that could actually kill me where those loving deer.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Woops double post.

Lant fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 26, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lant posted:

Actually you could be brain dead for most of it. Leveling was boring as all hell because every monster had four times the health it should have.

The only things that could actually kill me where those loving deer.

*Class dependant. Most things died in a single rotation for esper/ss, the downside being that neither class could just facetank dozens of things.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Holyshoot posted:

I play mmos for the content where I get to kill a really hard boss with 7-19 other people. A diablo game won't fill that void. Marvel heroes try to do it with raids but from the SA thread it seems like it's quite awful and even the developer says it's bad.

Marvel Heroes is a good game with a thread full of people who've played it too much and complain about a lot of minor stuff that won't affect 99% of the playerbase

But the raids in MH are a little weird and dumb. They're either trivially easy (Surtur) or excessively difficult (Onslaught) and there's no middle ground. Luckily they're pretty easy to ignore but it does cut down the 10 player content to basically just running around in Midtown fighting boss waves. Going forward it seems like their content focus is going to be on smaller 5-player group content instead

they need to aim for some fun, more casual 10 player group stuff that you can throw together without having to worry about people knowing boss mechanics beforehand, because there's absolutely a demand for larger group content but the larger the group, the simpler the mechanics of encounters probably need to be

which is the opposite of how every MMO seems to do it

in the case of Marvel Heroes there's luckily a pretty fun game there with lots of really good gear you can get without ever touching raids. hell, you can get the raid rewards without doing raids except for one or two items since you can earn the raid currency through other content

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

hit button posted:

I read every word of Minorkos' post and I agree with the above. Minorkos' post was an awful post because it presupposes that his or her personal preferences are Correct. MMOs makers need to stop reading posts like that, actually. Stop trying to be all things to as many accounts as possible. I get why they have to - they need a lot of players for a return on investment - but it makes a bad schizophrenic game experience. You end up with disjointed systems partially implemented: leveling, end-game, housing, crafting, PvP... and balancing all of that poo poo is next to impossible.

While I don't really play MMOs anymore, I have to admit that Guild Wars 2 had some interesting thoughts about PvP and separating that from the leveling experience. I wish more games would do that.

Make one aspect of your game phenomenal, and separate or cut the other pieces, IMO.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Minrad posted:

and yet, somehow, wow is managing to do just that as they desperately pull aspects of diablo 3 into wow

then again it's also dying so

Not really. The secondary random stats called tertiary stats are not included in the items stats budget. And they are just stats that let you leech some life, run faster or do something else that I can't remember. Either way no matter what those tertiary stats are the person who gets the piece of gear is still going to use it. Unlike Diablo where I could get random stats on a piece of gear and it could be total garbage that I would not use. You have to remember also that you are killing these raid bosses once a week so having gear that can drop that is possibly worthless to the entire raid (on the first kill, I am aware a month into farm this does happen) would be awful and demotivating. Unlike Diablo where I can just go back in and kill the boss a minute later and pull the slot machine bar again.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Based on that post, I would identify the problem is that you only get a shot at the gear once per week.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

Not really. The secondary random stats called tertiary stats are not included in the items stats budget. And they are just stats that let you leech some life, run faster or do something else that I can't remember. Either way no matter what those tertiary stats are the person who gets the piece of gear is still going to use it. Unlike Diablo where I could get random stats on a piece of gear and it could be total garbage that I would not use. You have to remember also that you are killing these raid bosses once a week so having gear that can drop that is possibly worthless to the entire raid (on the first kill, I am aware a month into farm this does happen) would be awful and demotivating. Unlike Diablo where I can just go back in and kill the boss a minute later and pull the slot machine bar again.

Tertiary stats weren't even worth chasing after. Ultimately their effects were so minor that I'd still take a 5 ilvl upgrade with no tertiary stats. The angst at breaking set bonuses for upgrades is higher.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Thursday Next posted:

I read every word of Minorkos' post and I agree with the above. Minorkos' post was an awful post because it presupposes that his or her personal preferences are Correct. MMOs makers need to stop reading posts like that, actually. Stop trying to be all things to as many accounts as possible. I get why they have to - they need a lot of players for a return on investment - but it makes a bad schizophrenic game experience. You end up with disjointed systems partially implemented: leveling, end-game, housing, crafting, PvP... and balancing all of that poo poo is next to impossible.

While I don't really play MMOs anymore, I have to admit that Guild Wars 2 had some interesting thoughts about PvP and separating that from the leveling experience. I wish more games would do that.

Make one aspect of your game phenomenal, and separate or cut the other pieces, IMO.

Well, I mean you can't really objectively criticize anything. Some people like mashing through rotations and putting their characters on auto-walk in MMORPGs. Some people also like playing games at 24 fps because it's more "cinematic" that way. I'm not saying those people are wrong but I don't personally understand either of those things. So yes you're right, my criticisms are indeed based on my personal preferences.

But I mean, those criticisms just generally come to mind when you go into an MMORPG after having spent a lot of time playing actual video games. Imagine if the new Fallout 4 just had nothing but "Kill 10 radscorpions" quests in it. It would be absurd and critics would tear the game to shreds. But somehow, MMORPGs are in some kind of self-contained singularity where that kind of stuff is not only tolerated, but generally thought to be the standard. Not only that, a lot of innovation is rejected by existing MMORPG players, and somewhat innovative games end up conforming to the norm because of player feedback, like what happened with Black Desert. No I'm not saying that every MMORPG should be Dark Souls, I'm saying that not every MMORPG needs be to WoW (but better, duh)

I don't doubt that there are people who like modern MMORPGs. The problem is that I also like the genre, but only in theory. Massive multiplayer online role playing game! I love all those things. But I don't actually like the MMORPGs on the market today at all, and they all seem to have the same exact issues and it drives me nuts. I think it's the same thing for a lot of others because some people actually agreed with my spergy rant. I think there is actually a whole new market for these crazy innovative multiplayer RPGs with lots of people and a big world (not MMORPG)

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 26, 2015

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

i was pretty sure his first post was just a copy/paste from somewhere. Still thinking that.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Minorkos posted:

Well, I mean you can't really objectively criticize anything. Some people like mashing through rotations and putting their characters on auto-walk in MMORPGs. Some people also like playing games at 24 fps because it's more "cinematic" that way. I'm not saying those people are wrong but I don't personally understand either of those things. So yes you're right, my criticisms are indeed based on my personal preferences.

But I mean, those criticisms just generally come to mind when you go into an MMORPG after having spent a lot of time playing actual video games. Imagine if the new Fallout 4 just had nothing but "Kill 10 radscorpions" quests in it. It would be absurd and critics would tear the game to shreds. But somehow, MMORPGs are in some kind of self-contained singularity where that kind of stuff is not only tolerated, but generally thought to be the standard. Not only that, a lot of innovation is rejected by existing MMORPG players, and somewhat innovative games end up conforming to the norm because of player feedback, like what happened with Black Desert. No I'm not saying that every MMORPG should be Dark Souls, I'm saying that not every MMORPG needs be to WoW (but better, duh)

I don't doubt that there are people who like modern MMORPGs. The problem is that I also like the genre, but only in theory. Massive multiplayer online role playing game! I love all those things. But I don't actually like the MMORPGs on the market today at all, and they all seem to have the same exact issues and it drives me nuts. I think it's the same thing for a lot of others because some people actually agreed with my spergy rant. I think there is actually a whole new market for these crazy innovative multiplayer RPGs with lots of people and a big world (not MMORPG)

Right, but instead Fallout tells you to "Kill all the rad scorpions on Mr Jorgins farm."

The net effect is you still have 10 radscorpions that need dying, only in the single player game they stay dead. The only way to make this work in MMO terms assuming you want to still keep that "Open world with other people" feel is to basically have the scorpions simply not show once you've killed 10. But then there would be that awkward moment where you saw some warrior just flailing away at air as you passed him doing a quest you had already completed.

The other option is to instance everything, and you just don't see people in the wild. DDO did this to some extent and it just made the world feel small to me.

So far the best take I've seen on it is WoW's phasing, which they largely did away with post Wrath.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Rhymenoserous posted:

Right, but instead Fallout tells you to "Kill all the rad scorpions on Mr Jorgins farm."

The net effect is you still have 10 radscorpions that need dying, only in the single player game they stay dead. The only way to make this work in MMO terms assuming you want to still keep that "Open world with other people" feel is to basically have the scorpions simply not show once you've killed 10. But then there would be that awkward moment where you saw some warrior just flailing away at air as you passed him doing a quest you had already completed.

The other option is to instance everything, and you just don't see people in the wild. DDO did this to some extent and it just made the world feel small to me.

So far the best take I've seen on it is WoW's phasing, which they largely did away with post Wrath.

FFXIV does this by making the enemies you can't gently caress with (because they're only spawned for somebody else's single-player quest) invisible until they aggro. So you see some nerd spazzing around mysteriously and then a moment later the ant or whatever appears.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Based on that post, I would identify the problem is that you only get a shot at the gear once per week.

If they let you run raids more than weekly half their end game players would end up dying at their keyboards.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

If they let you run raids more than weekly half their end game players would end up dying at their keyboards.

This.

Raiders are immensely loving stupid and will kill themselves for another shot at gear. It's why Blizzard stopped letting them do it.

It's also why Blizzard removed tier gear from LFR with WoD. That sure was a reasonable decision to make at the expense of the the majority of their playerbase.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
good raider opinions from the wild star thread

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Or they get bored and leave because they have all their gear. Gotta keep paying that sub.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

The Moon Monster posted:

how is that a bad thing

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Minorkos posted:

What is wrong with MMORPGs?

They cost too much to make, which stifles risk-taking and experimentation.

By the way, I edited out the awful, samey, pointless part of your post.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

RottenK posted:

how is that a bad thing

Lets make it so even more people stop playing our subscription based game after a month.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Raiding two lockouts was already pushing my limit (And we were doing it at a stately 3 hrs per raid day/2 days per week pace). I couldn't imagine raiding like 3-4 lockouts, I'd lose my mind and strangle the raid leader.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

from listening in on a group of raiders while I play casually, I have found that every other guild sucks and these raiders only die to bad luck/lag/etc

I am glad I found a group of like minded people.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
My favorite part of pugging raids is seeing "lag" pop up in chat every time the lowest DPS dies to an avoidable mechanic. Every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

My favorite part of pugging raids is seeing "lag" pop up in chat every time the lowest DPS dies to an avoidable mechanic. Every time.

And if it wasn't for that "lag" this "easy" boss would be a joke.

• Locked thread